Julie Andrews Discussion Thread

Any topic that doesn't fit elsewhere.
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Re: Julie Andrews Discussion Thread

Post by UmbrellaFish »

I could have danced all night. :D

She’s beautiful and glorious and human. She’s in such good health and wonderful shape, too. I don’t think there was much anything “new” at my show... maybe there was and I was in a daze, but my god... I’ve seen her, been in the same room with her... asked her a second question (she previously answered my question on a live video chat).

“In 1982, did you our Mr. Edwards have an idea of the positive impact Victor/Victoria would have on LGBT audiences? Thank you for your work and being an inspiration.” (I took a picture of the card I wrote before turning it in)

She said Blake felt it was important to push boundaries and, to quote Lin Manuel Miranda and paraphrase Julie, “love is love is love.” She said it was a good question or a lovely question and the audience applauded her response. I waved my hand at the stage when they called my name but stupidly put it down just before Julie looked my way. But I got to ask Julie a question. And through Emma, her daughter and the show’s moderator, I got to thank her. How special is that?

As Julie says, how lucky can you get?

Thanks again, Dame Julie! And Emma who I was also excited to see in the flesh. Golly... I almost can’t believe I was there... how lucky can you get...
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney Duster »

Like a dream...? :wink:

I am so glad you got have this incredible, special, magical night. Good question you asked, too! But I am a little confused. Was the question about Victor/Victoria on the LGBT audiences question the one you asked that night? And if it was, was it her answer that was "love is love is love"? And what do you mean they called your name? And why would you put your hand down?

So many questions I have, lol!
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

I'm very happy for you, UmbrellaFish! Your experience sounds absolutely magical! :D
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

Thanks you guys! I’m grateful to share my experience with you. When I was in the closet I wouldn’t have dared to share my love of Julie Andrews with my friends in real life so DVDizzy and other sites were important outlets for me to express myself. So thanks again!
Disney Duster wrote:Was the question about Victor/Victoria on the LGBT audiences question the one you asked that night?
Yes, the question about V/V I asked at the live show. As for the other question, about a month or two ago Julie did a short live chat on a streaming platform called TalkShop Live (moderated by Adam Shankman of Hairspray, Glee, and perhaps Enchanted 2 fame) and I submitted a similar question. That time I asked her why she thought she was a gay icon— she didn’t know. This time I was able to form a better question which I thought could be picked out of the many questions submitted and something Julie might be able to give a good answer to onstage. Very lucky I am to have this opportunity twice!
Disney Duster wrote:And if it was, was it her answer that was "love is love is love"?
She began by explaining why her husband decided to make the movie (to push boundaries), and then explained why the both of them felt it was important then and now: because love is love is love. I have to paraphrase because I can’t remember exactly what she said (it was an absolutely overwhelming experience... I’m 24 and I’ve been a fan since I was 5! My version of going to Mecca), but I think that’s the spirit of it.
Disney Duster wrote:And what do you mean they called your name? And why would you put your hand down?
Before the show began, we wrote questions for Julie on little cards and attached our names. These were collected and pre-selected before the show began (it opened with a 20ish minute video montage which gave them time). As the moderator, Emma, Julie’s daughter, asked the questions on the cards she also read the name attached. They encouraged us to make noise or something if our name was read, but I’m not really a “noisy” person so I raised my hand instead. My arm began to tire and so I took it down, and after that Julie looked my way— but stage lights are so bright, it’s possible she couldn’t have seen my hand even if it had been raised the moment she looked. Not really a big deal. It was a wonderful night.
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

Oh, that is magical!!! I'm so happy you got to see Julie!!!!! And ask her a question- so awesome!!! What else went on at the event? There was the video and Q&A... Did you learn anything new, or feel even more adoration for Julie at a certain part?
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Oh, wow! Thank you for answering all my questions! You are very lucky! And I love Julie's answer about love!
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

blackcauldron85 wrote:Oh, that is magical!!! I'm so happy you got to see Julie!!!!! And ask her a question- so awesome!!! What else went on at the event? There was the video and Q&A... Did you learn anything new, or feel even more adoration for Julie at a certain part?
The event was called “An Evening of Conversation with Julie Andrews” so from 7:30pm to 10:00 (with a 20 minute intermission between), I was able to just observe her and soak it all in! I’m a super fan so there wasn’t much new to me. One thing— we know she likes peanut butter (especially crunchy); and she still does but she thinks she may like almond butter better! I’ll have to try it!

Another special moment, she spoke-sang the lyrics to “Edelweiss” and “Not Getting Married Today” from Putting it Together, a very challenging song she still remembers the lyrics to almost thirty years later. https://youtu.be/yAKs326xLz0

I was very curious to see how I’d react in person. I’ve seen Jodi Benson and met Paige O’Hara, which was exciting and I was all smiles but I didn’t become emotional or anything. But this was Julie Andrews— I was afraid I might burst into tears or something when she came out on stage. When her husband passed away almost 10 years ago it weirdly hit me like a ton of bricks, which was especially odd because I wasn’t a Blake Edwards fan and at the time even resented him because I thought he took her career in the wrong direction (I’ve since re-evaluated their collaboration together and regard Edwards pretty highly, except for a lot of unfortunate racism in his movies). But I went into a kind of mourning, not overly dramatic or hysterical, but I was deeply sad for the passing of a person I didn’t even know. The only other time that has happened was when Cory Montieth passed away.

But I’m happy to say I held it together! No heart palpitations or tears, all beaming smiles. It was so difficult to just... be present, y’know? I knew this may be my only chance to see her, so I had to really look at her and listen to her and try to comprehend this moment was real and that I was actually seeing her and sharing this space with a woman who means so much to me but also simultaneously listen to the discussion and try and actually comprehend what Julie was actually saying... Even now, as I sit back home surrounded by my collection of Julie Andrews memorabilia, I look at my poster of “Mary Poppins” and I can’t quite believe I saw her in the flesh— the real woman, the real Julie Andrews, the same person who made that movie 50 years ago— a movie that’s been a cherished and important part of my life for 20 years. I’ve seen her in person. I never really thought that could happen. Would happen.

I think that night I just fell in love again. It was special. So wonderful. Last night I journaled every detail I could recall (surprisingly more than I thought I would!) so that hopefully, even when the memory begins to fade, I can look at my journal and it will all become real again.

I’m still over the moon about it all. I’m sorry to gush, haha.
blackcauldron85

Gush away; I was all smiles reading that. Peanut butter is my favorite food and I have something in common with her, and that is awesome. :D
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Oh, UmbrellaFish, I loved reading how you were in the moment, were worried about what you would do when you were there, but kept it all together, tried best as you could to understand what she was saying, wrote all about it in your journal to help keep the memory alive forever, and still feel so amazed. Magical!

By the way, I guess she did a Sondheim concert called "Putting It Together", because "Getting Married Today" is from Company, one of my favorite musicals!
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

blackcauldron85 wrote:Gush away; I was all smiles reading that. Peanut butter is my favorite food and I have something in common with her, and that is awesome. :D
It is awesome! I like peanut butter, too, but only paired with things. She’s also a big fan of chip buddies which are a simple English sandwich of French fries between buttered slices of white bread. They’re actually surprisingly delicious.
Disney Duster wrote:By the way, I guess she did a Sondheim concert called "Putting It Together", because "Getting Married Today" is from Company, one of my favorite musicals!
Yes! Correct-ish. The song is originally from “Company,” and Julie sang it in an off-Broadway Sondheim revue called “Putting it Together.” Unlike many revues, the songs were connected by a plot and Julie played a character, not herself.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Oh, ok! That's really awesome!
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

But of fun from Buzzfeed, “Which Julie Andrews character are you?”: https://www.buzzfeed.com/noradominick/w ... gin=btm-fd

I got Eliza Doolittle from My Fair Lady!
blackcauldron85

^ I also got Eliza!
DVDBuff1
Gold Classic Collection

Post by DVDBuff1 »

I got Victoria Grant.
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

Dame Julie Skyped into Good Morning America from her home today looking healthy and in great spirits. She announced the title of her forthcoming podcast “Julie’s Library,” a series about reading for families which she said is being fast tracked for release this spring. She also talked about the relief agency Operation USA which she helped found in 1979. She said she’s passing her time self-quarantining by working on her podcast and a new children’s book, watching Governor Cuomo on the news, watching TV reruns, and over-eating (specifically PBJ’s)!

I really needed this today!

Watch the interview here: https://twitter.com/GMA/status/1243158545396350976?s=20

The website for Julie’s Library just launched! Details have been sparse until now, but based on the description I think it’s safe to call it Julie Andrews’ version of Reading Rainbow: https://www.julieslibraryshow.org/
blackcauldron85

Does Julie live in New York?! I obviously missed your post on the last page about Julie's Greenroom- I don't have Netflix anymore, but that looks adorable and I need to look up some clips!
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

Yes! Julie lives in Sag Harbor, New York where her daughter Emma Walton Hamilton lives— she moved there from California shortly after Blake Edwards passed away. In the clip from GMA you can briefly see the reflection of somebody in the frame above Julie and I am pretty sure it is Emma!

Julie’s Greenroom was a really wonderful show and a labor of love from Julie and Emma with puppetry from The Jim Henson Company. I thought it was criminal that it was never picked up for a second season. But I’m happy that Julie and Netflix have a continuing relationship with Bridgerton coming soon (but not soon enough!).

Here’s a few of my favorite moments from Julie’s Greenroom on YouTube.

Song: “Anything Can Happen in the Theatre” with Carol Burnett
https://youtu.be/cBvQvEAHSDA

Song: “When You Act” with friend Alec Baldwin
https://youtu.be/S6spfX5HOyE

Song: “Take a Leap” with David Hyde Pierce (careful, this one’s such an ear worm!)
https://youtu.be/Zc8fhhivec4
blackcauldron85

^ I had this open on my phone for days + forgot about it. Thank you for sharing those!!

Omg, Julie SINGING!!!!! <3<3<3 That makes me so happy!!!
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

The new podcast Julie’s Library is coming every Wednesday beginning April 29th. Listen to the trailer here: https://twitter.com/JuliesLibrary/statu ... 94978?s=20
MerPrincessJamie
Limited Issue

Post by MerPrincessJamie »

One of my friends worked with her on SOM. I'll definitely ask to see if I can at least talk to her at some point soon. Normally, I wouldn't ask for something like that, because I'd feel really guilty, but with COVID and all, I have to face reality. If I don't take the chance, I'll never know..