DVDizzy.com

Home | Reviews | Schedule | Cover Art | Search The Site
DVDizzy.com Top Stories:

It is currently Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 153 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: Wicked: A New Musical
PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2004 8:17 am 
Limited Edition

Has anyone seen this new musical starring Kristen Chenowith and Idina Menzel?

I've only seen the "Defying Gravity" scene on the Tony Awards the other night, and as I taped the show, I just keep rewinding it and re-watching it. It's such an amazing song, and made me really curious about the show.

I'd really like to see it, and as I'm reading the book, I want to know how much the two differ (i.e. is all of that unnecessary sex from the first part of the book been erased?).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 2:16 pm 
Limited Edition

Nobody can give me a book-to-musical comparison?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 2:42 pm 
Platinum Edition

This book is about 4 down on my to-read list. Therefore, I'll be reading it very soon, so I'd like to hear this too. Isn't the musical coming to DVD?

-Aaron

• Entertainment Writer & Moderator at DVDizzy.com
• Twitter - @aaronspod

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 6:51 pm 
Limited Edition

awallaceunc wrote:
This book is about 4 down on my to-read list. Therefore, I'll be reading it very soon, so I'd like to hear this too. Isn't the musical coming to DVD?

-Aaron

IS IT????? :party: :party: :party: OH, I'm so excited! The book is getting really good, and the song "Defying Gravity" is worth the price of the DVD alone.

Plus, it'll save me the trip to New York.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 7:16 pm 
Platinum Edition

Well, don't quote me on it, lol. It just seems like I saw that somewhere recently. Here's to hoping it does.

-Aaron

• Twitter - @aaronspod

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 9:09 pm 
Limited Edition

If it does at all, I can guarentee you that it's not going to come to DVD for a *LONG* time.

It's brand new, just opened last year. They're not going to put it out on DVD so early in its Broadway run, that would virtually kill it. I'd say if it continues to do well it'll have a few years of good strong life in it, at the very least, and THEN after it closes we MIGHT get a DVD. But not till then. Personally I think adapting it into a movie makes more sense than just filming it straight, but they could go either way.

But I'm sure there are bootlegs now. I'm not supporting bootlegs by saying this and I'm not saying you should go get one, but I'm sure they exsist.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 10:11 pm 
Platinum Edition

Yeah, that's what I was thinking too. Maybe that's what I read/heard?... that a movie was in the works? I wish I could remember where I'm getting this from, dangett.

-Aaron

• Twitter - @aaronspod

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 7:06 am 
Limited Edition

awallaceunc wrote:
Yeah, that's what I was thinking too. Maybe that's what I read/heard?... that a movie was in the works? I wish I could remember where I'm getting this from, dangett.

-Aaron

Well, as long as this movie will have Idina Menzel and Kristen Chenowith...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 7:16 am 
Platinum Edition

Jake Lipson wrote:
If it does at all, I can guarentee you that it's not going to come to DVD for a *LONG* time.

It's brand new, just opened last year. They're not going to put it out on DVD so early in its Broadway run, that would virtually kill it. I'd say if it continues to do well it'll have a few years of good strong life in it, at the very least, and THEN after it closes we MIGHT get a DVD.

Maybe. Maybe not. After all, they're already releasing DVD dates for movies still playing in cinemas. You'd think that would virtually kill the theatrical audience, but it doesn't always seem to. Plus, there is proof that releasing Joseph and his Technicolour Dreamcoat on DVD a few years back (it came out in the UK a year before the US release) boosted London Theatre ticket sales.

I doubt if they do it will be a straight filming, or even the broadway cast. I'm sure it won't be a fully fledged film either. I'd expect something like the recent DTVs of Joseph and Jesus Christ Superstar.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 2:51 am 
Limited Edition

My friend had told me about this musical and said it was a wonderful show! I saw the book at Waldenbooks the other day, lol, but I just looked at the pictures in the middle :lol: . Though I was confused because some captions said "Galinda" and later ones said "GLinda." I guess I should read it to find out why. But anyhow, if I EVER get to see any Broadway musical(s), Wicked would most definitely be one I'd like to see (in addition to "Beaty and the Beast," "Into the Woods," and a snippet view of the Tony's made me want to see the whole show of the puppets on "Avenue Q").

Speaking of musicals, (hehe, sorry getting off topic), I was wondering if there were any other musicals involving Fairy Tales. I don't know why, but I just love anything with Fairy Tales (except Shrek because it makes fun of them). I know there are other plays and musicals based on CInderella (R&H Cinderella, The Slipper and the ROse), but are there any more?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 8:24 am 
Limited Edition

I was confused about the whole GAlinda and GLinda thing, too. But the book explains it pretty clearly (it's actually kind of stupid).

And it was the snippet at the Tony's that made me want to see Wicked-not really sure about Avenue Q, though-they said something about puppet nudity :o .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 10:21 pm 
Limited Edition

Prince Adam wrote:
And it was the snippet at the Tony's that made me want to see Wicked-not really sure about Avenue Q, though-they said something about puppet nudity :o .

:shock: I don't remember hearing that :shock: . I only wanted to see it because I thought that song "It sucks to be me" was so funny and I wanted to know why there were puppets in the first place.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 7:13 am 
Limited Edition

I thought it seemed like a weird take on Sesame Street.

That is, until they had to bleep out what the one puppet said.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 5:43 pm 
Limited Edition

Sorry to bump this, but I thought I'd add that I heard any talks of a film based on the book were put to rest, because it just wouldn't work.

However, a film based on the musical is in consideration.

Also, this summer the Kristen Chenoweth will be leaving the cast, and the play will be coming to Toronto in March.

Finally, I recently ordered the Original Cast Album online, and it's amazing! There are only 2-3 songs of the 19 I'm not in love with, and Idina Menzel and Norbert Leo Butz's "As Long as You're Mine" is incredible! Even if you only like the book, buy this CD!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 5:55 pm 
Special Edition

Musicals do not come out on DVD or video until they close on broadway. This will never change for it would put a small dent in broadway ticket sales. The only exception to the rule is a revival of a show may be put out on DVD but technically revivals have originally closed on broadway and that is still very rare. If you want to see WICKED you either go to New York or hope they make a touring company and see it when its in your neck of the woods.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 6:30 pm 
Limited Edition

Out of all the stuff at the Tony Awards this year, a lot of stuff caught my eye and made me think "It would be nice to see that." But WICKED was the one and only show to really reach out and grab me -- largely based on nothing but the Defying Gravity sequence -- and make me think "I just HAVE to see that!"

Fortunately, the Tornto debut next March will be the first stop on a North America national tour production. I hope it comes here. In the meantime, I'll be grabbing the cast recording and book soon.

I still say that if a movie is made out of the musical, it will not be made for at least a few years. Usually, movie adaptations give musicals a shot in the arm. However, if a movie version was to go into production now, it would almost certianly mean that the theatrical production would enjoy a short boost and then fade. Since Universal owns the film rights, my guess is that if their film remake of The Producers (which is based on the musical, starring the original stage duo of Nathan Lane and Matthew Brodrick with Nicole Kidman) is a success when it comes next year, then they'd go forward with a Wicked movie. Even while there seems to be a recent revival of movie musicals (Moulin Rogue!, Chicago, De-Lovely, and the upcoming Phantom of the Opera, Producers, and Rent) it's still not exactly a frequent genere again. I doubt Universal would have two musicals in production at once, especially with one being so new to the stage. But if The Producers is a hit they'd probably do it. And that'd mean it would go into production somewhere around 2006 and appear on screens in 2007-2008, which seems like a reasonable enough timeframe to allow the Broadway show to stand on its own for a while longer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 11:48 pm 
Limited Edition

I believe I mentioned this musical a few weeks ago when I brought up the Tony's. I had the oppurtunity to see it, but I opted out in favor of Bombay Dreams. I'm so glad I chose to, and I'm glad Avenue Q beat Wicked for the Tony. In terms of theater, I've heard Wicked is overrated and just a crowd favorite. I've just finished reading the book and it was good fantasy, but not good fiction. I love literary fiction, and this was merely another allegory of politics. Plus, it left too many open ends among other things. It was fun, and I like this version of Oz much better, but there are much better things out there to read/do/see. :) As for as the Tony telecast is concerned, how could anyone say that Wicked was the only thing that was attention-getting? Most people I know involved in the New York literary scence have said, and firmly feel, that Wicked is just another big, splashy, and sometimes pretentious piece of work that resembles a Disney production (they think that an insult, and in the world of theater, I think it is). If you are headed to New York City, watch Avenue Q, Caroline, or Change, or Bombay Dreams. Better yet, why don't you break out of the whole musical charade and see a straight play?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 11:51 pm 
Limited Edition

Also, "Defying Gravity" and "What is This Feeling?" are the only songs that I really care for. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 12:11 am 

FYI...There's a good reason this production resembles a Disney movie, since Stephen Schwartz, the man who wrote the music and lyrics for Wicked, worked with Alan Menken on the music for Pocahontas and The Hunchback of Notre Dame.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 2:24 pm 
Limited Edition

Prince Eric wrote:
Most people I know involved in the New York literary scence have said, and firmly feel, that Wicked is just another big, splashy, and sometimes pretentious piece of work that resembles a Disney production (they think that an insult, and in the world of theater, I think it is). If you are headed to New York City, watch Avenue Q, Caroline, or Change, or Bombay Dreams. Better yet, why don't you break out of the whole musical charade and see a straight play?

Yeah, but for every negative comment there have been posotive ones by critics, too. I realize the Wicked website only publishes the good ones since they want to promote themselves, but a mere <a href=http://www.wickedthemusical.com/reviews.htm target=blank>glance at them</a> shows that there is a lot of lvoe for this show.

Oh, and yeah, just in case anyone does decide to skip Wicked..I still say that if anyone ever goes to Broadway and can see only one show, <b>The Phantom of the Opera</b> should be that show.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 153 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next