DVDizzy.com

Home | Reviews | Schedule | Cover Art | Search The Site
DVDizzy.com Top Stories:

It is currently Sat Feb 27, 2021 2:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 169 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:31 pm 
Offline
Limited Edition
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:42 pm
Posts: 1345
Question, I wanna seem like changing the thread, but is it okay if some of us can talk of symptons like OCD, anxiety and such? I don't wanna change or derail the thread, but i think a chat about these syndromes could be talked about in this place.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 3:19 pm 
Offline
Platinum Edition
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:19 am
Posts: 8177
Location: Appleton, WI
I, for one, see no problem with that. Openness about such things is bound to be very beneficial, in fact.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:31 pm 
Offline
Platinum Edition
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2005 4:17 pm
Posts: 6862
A list of famous people how has Asperger Syndrome

http://specialeducation.answers.com/tea ... -disorders

If you know what Pokemon is well it seems the brains of an Aspie created them:

Quote:
5. Satoshi Tajiri
Some children with ASD may be excited to learn that the creator of Pokemon was diagnosed with Asperger syndrome. Satoshi Tajiri turned his childhood fascination with bugs into the worldwide phenomenon of Pokemon. Representatives of Nintendo have remarked on Tajiri's creativity but have also called him reclusive and eccentric.


Also on the list is none other than Dan Akyroyd.

Quote:
8. Dan Aykroyd
"Blues Brothers" and "Ghost Busters" star Dan Akyroyd was diagnosed with Asperger syndrome in the early 1980s after his wife convinced him to see a doctor. He's said that he has an obsession with ghosts and law enforcement, which led to the creation of "Ghost Busters." Aykroyd's career as an actor, writer, and producer has spanned 40 years.

_________________
Want to Hear How I met Roy E. Disney in 2003? Click the link Below

http://fromscreentotheme.com/ThursdayTr ... isney.aspx


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:57 pm 
Offline
Special Edition
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:02 pm
Posts: 452
disneyboy20022 wrote:
If you know what Pokemon is well it seems the brains of an Aspie created them:

Quote:
5. Satoshi Tajiri
Some children with ASD may be excited to learn that the creator of Pokemon was diagnosed with Asperger syndrome. Satoshi Tajiri turned his childhood fascination with bugs into the worldwide phenomenon of Pokemon. Representatives of Nintendo have remarked on Tajiri's creativity but have also called him reclusive and eccentric.


It really surprised me that the creator of Pokémon was actually autistic like me, cause Pokémon itself was such a huge part of my life in the late 90's, and to some extent still is. People like him and Dan Aykroyd actually give much hope that autistic people can become very successful and create something truly big in the entertainment industry.

_________________
Image

Love traditional Disney animation? Send your art to: http://2disney4ever.deviantart.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:37 pm 
Offline
Limited Edition
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:53 pm
Posts: 1416
Location: Virginia
2Disney4Ever wrote:
disneyboy20022 wrote:
If you know what Pokemon is well it seems the brains of an Aspie created them:

Quote:
5. Satoshi Tajiri
Some children with ASD may be excited to learn that the creator of Pokemon was diagnosed with Asperger syndrome. Satoshi Tajiri turned his childhood fascination with bugs into the worldwide phenomenon of Pokemon. Representatives of Nintendo have remarked on Tajiri's creativity but have also called him reclusive and eccentric.


It really surprised me that the creator of Pokémon was actually autistic like me, cause Pokémon itself was such a huge part of my life in the late 90's, and to some extent still is. People like him and Dan Aykroyd actually give much hope that autistic people can become very successful and create something truly big in the entertainment industry.


That is really inspiring to them, I hope to be a writer for movies and TV; and I hope to one day develop and write for a 2-D cartoon reboot of Fangface, a quite obscure cartoon from 1978 which was the first cartoon produced by the newly created Ruby-Spears Productions. The show was more or less another Scooby Doo inspired show which had a werewolf as an ally to the good guys, but the execution was not only muddled but quite bad for 1970's standards.

But someone's got to start somewhere. :)

_________________
Disney, Pixar, Rodgers and Hammerstein, and Film fan since 1999


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 4:26 pm 
Offline
Limited Edition
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:00 pm
Posts: 1949
I have it (Asperger's)and Im a weird case. Im female, wasnt diagnosed until my 30's...in the early 2000's(showing my age here,) I have trouble feeling comfortable around people for the most part. I pefer to do things alone except, when something really bad happens like the car breaks down & your stranded or something in the apt. breaks down etc...then I really need someone to help me b/c my anxiety takes over. Fortunately I have a caring family, but I sometimes feel like theyre "stuck" with me.

aside from that I also have extreme social & general anxiety & a bit of OCD. Making things even harder.


I had it since I was a small child, I have spent my whole liife without ever being able to make long lasting friendships. I dont know how to do them. I can do it to a certain degree but then there comes a point when the person is getting closer to me, that I no longer feel comfortable & I want to be alone again. or the other person does something i dont like & I dont know how to handle it. I dont like talking on the phone, or just chatting, mingling, with a group of people.(IOW I dont like parties.) I also obsessed and paranoid with what people might be thinking of me & am horrified of personal critcism.

At the same time I cant just get along with someone else cuz they share the same traits I have. its strange. I went to a disney club group once & I couldnt relate to anyone(as well as was horribly anxious the whole time) & just wanted to go home. Ive been to a few local Aspergers groups, also couldnt relate to anyone (also didnt help that one obnoxious member would not stop asking me out on a date.) :roll:

Other strange thing, Im not "intellectual" I suck at math, computers & chemistry, but am ok with general science and love zoology & paleontology. Also have a very artistic side... I love crafts.

typically I am obsessed with certain topics, many things that would be to long to list here.

and this post went on way longer than I expected... :|

_________________
Support To Belong
Hullabaloo


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:02 pm 
Offline
Platinum Edition
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:19 am
Posts: 8177
Location: Appleton, WI
unprincess wrote:
I have it (Asperger's)and Im a weird case. Im female, wasnt diagnosed until my 30's...in the early 2000's(showing my age here,) I have trouble feeling comfortable around people for the most part. I pefer to do things alone except, when something really bad happens like the car breaks down & your stranded or something in the apt. breaks down etc...then I really need someone to help me b/c my anxiety takes over. Fortunately I have a caring family, but I sometimes feel like theyre "stuck" with me.

aside from that I also have extreme social & general anxiety & a bit of OCD. Making things even harder.


I had it since I was a small child, I have spent my whole liife without ever being able to make long lasting friendships. I dont know how to do them. I can do it to a certain degree but then there comes a point when the person is getting closer to me, that I no longer feel comfortable & I want to be alone again. or the other person does something i dont like & I dont know how to handle it. I dont like talking on the phone, or just chatting, mingling, with a group of people.(IOW I dont like parties.) I also obsessed and paranoid with what people might be thinking of me & am horrified of personal critcism.

At the same time I cant just get along with someone else cuz they share the same traits I have. its strange. I went to a disney club group once & I couldnt relate to anyone(as well as was horribly anxious the whole time) & just wanted to go home. Ive been to a few local Aspergers groups, also couldnt relate to anyone (also didnt help that one obnoxious member would not stop asking me out on a date.) :roll:

Other strange thing, Im not "intellectual" I suck at math, computers & chemistry, but am ok with general science and love zoology & paleontology. Also have a very artistic side... I love crafts.

typically I am obsessed with certain topics, many things that would be to long to list here.

and this post went on way longer than I expected... :|


You and I are a lot alike! :)

except I've had an easier time in Aspergers groups and I am pretty good with computers.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:38 pm 
Offline
Limited Edition
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:00 pm
Posts: 1949
^are you female? Ive known of only one other person with Aspergers who was female. I wish I knew more girls with it. :(

_________________
Support To Belong
Hullabaloo


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 5:21 pm 
Offline
Collector's Edition
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:48 pm
Posts: 672
Location: UK
unprincess wrote:
I have it (Asperger's)and Im a weird case. Im female, wasnt diagnosed until my 30's...in the early 2000's(showing my age here,) I have trouble feeling comfortable around people for the most part. I pefer to do things alone except, when something really bad happens like the car breaks down & your stranded or something in the apt. breaks down etc...then I really need someone to help me b/c my anxiety takes over. Fortunately I have a caring family, but I sometimes feel like theyre "stuck" with me.

aside from that I also have extreme social & general anxiety & a bit of OCD. Making things even harder.

I had it since I was a small child, I have spent my whole liife without ever being able to make long lasting friendships. I dont know how to do them. I can do it to a certain degree but then there comes a point when the person is getting closer to me, that I no longer feel comfortable & I want to be alone again. or the other person does something i dont like & I dont know how to handle it. I dont like talking on the phone, or just chatting, mingling, with a group of people.(IOW I dont like parties.) I also obsessed and paranoid with what people might be thinking of me & am horrified of personal critcism.

At the same time I cant just get along with someone else cuz they share the same traits I have. its strange. I went to a disney club group once & I couldnt relate to anyone(as well as was horribly anxious the whole time) & just wanted to go home. Ive been to a few local Aspergers groups, also couldnt relate to anyone (also didnt help that one obnoxious member would not stop asking me out on a date.) :roll:


A lot of this sounds an awful lot like me. I've never been diagnosed with Autism but I am a sufferer of depression and anxiety.
I also like to do things on my own except when a crisis occurs. Anything like a train being delayed, I cannot cope. I also do not make lasting friendships. I thankfully have a wonderful partner who is my one remaining friend since my nervous breakdown 6 years ago. As it is, I believe friends are very much a time and a place thing. I find friends complicate my life and my time and so I don't seek to maintain friendships. I'm also bad with negative feedback and take it personally even when it isn't. Also hate parties. I just feel out of place the whole time.
At the moment, my depression is quite severe and apart from my immediate family and boyfriend, my urge to people avoid is very prominent.
I like a routine. I am not arty at all (although I wish I was). I did a science degree.

_________________
Settling Soul mates? That is grim. And I've played Monopoly alone.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:42 am 
Offline
Platinum Edition
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:19 am
Posts: 8177
Location: Appleton, WI
unprincess wrote:
^are you female? Ive known of only one other person with Aspergers who was female. I wish I knew more girls with it. :(

nope. I'm male.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 3:13 pm 
Offline
Limited Edition
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:00 pm
Posts: 1949
for anyone who is interested- got an email from 2Disney4Ever who told me he has been having some tough changes in his life, with his mom having had some major health issues and him having to move. But he's been hanging on and doing well and has been focusing more on real life issues and less on Disney and 2d(though its still important to him). Im sure all us autistics/aspergians can relate to how tough life can be for us when it comes to changes. :)

_________________
Support To Belong
Hullabaloo


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 9:29 am 
Offline
Walt Disney Treasure
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2006 12:20 pm
Posts: 4262
Location: Malta, Europe
Thank you for that little bit of news, unprincess. Tell him to hang in there. I know he was a little bit difficult and admittedly got on our nerves, but I hope he's better now.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 3:25 pm 
Offline
Limited Edition
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:00 pm
Posts: 1949
^I know Id be annoying as hell with my weird obsessiveness if it wasnt for the fact that I also have major social anxiety disorder, so it always makes me worry how I come off to other people(am I annoying them? am I being too loud? am i just embarrassing myself?) My SAD kind of keeps my more Aspie tendencies "in check."

_________________
Support To Belong
Hullabaloo


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:25 am 
Offline
Platinum Edition
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2005 8:02 am
Posts: 11733
Location: America
I was diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome when I was in middle school. As I grew up, less and less people, including professionals in the medical and psychological fields, thought I had it.

My mom told me they no longer diagnose people with Asperger's Syndrome. They think it doesn't exist and now what people have is other things. Anyone know anything else about that?

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:48 pm 
Offline
Limited Edition
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:00 pm
Posts: 1949
thats the first time Ive heard of that. I do know there's a some people who dont believe things like Asperger's, ADHD etc..is real, but that's b/c they are generally in the anti-psychiatry/ psychology "doctors just want to over-diagnose/over-medicate everyone" crowd...

_________________
Support To Belong
Hullabaloo


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:52 pm 
Offline
Platinum Edition

Joined: Fri Jun 16, 2006 10:44 am
Posts: 6166
Location: Michigan
I am a high-functioning Autistic and I been out of work for three years now (Originally worked for 4 years before getting laid off). It's really hard for me to find anything since I have a hard time making eye contact or talking in public. The problem with eye contact is that I worry what others will think of me if I look directly at them. I can talk, but talking in public is not so easy (except when ordering food at a restaurant or if it's really necessary) since I'm worried I'll make an idiot of myself.

I recently did a job study in June (testing electronics at a goodwill store) and I just got the results. They said I am unemployable because I can't do anything independently (which is a lie :angry: ). The thing is I was just trying to follow directions, and I didn't want to make any mistakes that would ruin my chances of getting a job in the future. I have to return next week for a meeting, but it doesn't sound good.

_________________
My Blu-Ray Collection


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 11:39 pm 
Offline
Platinum Edition
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2005 4:17 pm
Posts: 6862
Uhh...

I might say recommend watching Girl Meets World, mainly Girl Meets I am Farkle.

They are dealing with Asperger Syndrome. Just watch it.

_________________
Want to Hear How I met Roy E. Disney in 2003? Click the link Below

http://fromscreentotheme.com/ThursdayTr ... isney.aspx


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:08 pm 
Offline
Limited Edition
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:42 pm
Posts: 1345
So I'm not really sure / know if I have autism or Aspergers, since I've never been to a doctor to see that. I mean, I have been, but at most they've told I have anxiety / depression/ mild OCD other than genuine autism. I'm not sure, honestly. They never found it in me when I was a child, and I'm not sure if they can find it now as an adult. I also am not sure if I should talk about it, since most of my family is pretty sick, so there was always this underlying sensation that I had to be the "healthy" one, because having more illnesses was just "asking for trouble". Since my sisters were pretty much...bad at everything they did in their lives, I had to be the "Supergirl" of the daughters in my father's eyes, I always felt that: the prettiest, the skinniest, the healthiest, the smartest, the one with best grades, the one with most friends, the one with a useful degree and a good career, the one with a promising fiancé...And it's just like...Exhausting.

But, I guess I see some of the symptoms?

Difficulties with keeping friends / getting along with other people / understanding other people's emotions.

Particular interest in some subjects.

Difficulty at looking people in the eyes when talking.

More time spent daydreaming in my fantasies or in movies / characters I like rather than focusing on the now, the "real" people.

Some of these symptoms things I've had since I was a child.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:13 pm 
Offline
Platinum Edition
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 17, 2006 9:54 am
Posts: 14555
Do you feel able to talk with your dad about the pressure you feel? He might not know that you feel you have to be the "best" out of your siblings...?

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:11 am 
Offline
Platinum Edition
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2005 8:02 am
Posts: 11733
Location: America
I think feeling like you have to be the best sibling is horrible! You can feel you are the best sibling, but to feel you have to be and you've got to make it be so, that's terrible! I mean no one can control being healthy or how pretty they are! Well, except for being hygenic and eating right and excercising, but you shouldn't have to eat or excercise as long as you are doing it healthy enough! And you can't always get a great job! I actually wondered if you have autism. But you really should get a good doctor to tell you if you do, and yes, I believe they can find it in adults. I think you should go see a doctor who seems good.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 169 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group