Asperger's Syndrome/ Autism Thread

Any topic that doesn't fit elsewhere.
disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Re: Autism

Post by disneyboy20022 »

Wonderlicious wrote:I'm not autistic, but I wouldn't label autism as a disease at all. In fact, I think that doing so would be a disgrace. The word disease has such awful connotations of dysfunction and contagion, often associated with terminal illnesses and disorders. Autism may cause one to see the world differently (and thereby react differently), but aside from serious cases of autism, it often isn't more than that, and autistic people can have a lot to bring to society.
When I said disease I was referring to my Ulcerative Colitis not Autism.
Want to Hear How I met Roy E. Disney in 2003? Click the link Below

http://fromscreentotheme.com/ThursdayTr ... isney.aspx
Wonderlicious
Diamond Edition

Re: Autism

Post by Wonderlicious »

disneyboy20022 wrote:
Wonderlicious wrote:I'm not autistic, but I wouldn't label autism as a disease at all. In fact, I think that doing so would be a disgrace. The word disease has such awful connotations of dysfunction and contagion, often associated with terminal illnesses and disorders. Autism may cause one to see the world differently (and thereby react differently), but aside from serious cases of autism, it often isn't more than that, and autistic people can have a lot to bring to society.
When I said disease I was referring to my Ulcerative Colitis not Autism.
Yep, I knew that was what you were referring to. I should have clarified that it was danielshooley's remark about it being a serious brain disease.
DVDBuff1
Gold Classic Collection

Re: Asperger's Syndrome/ Autism Thread

Post by DVDBuff1 »

Bumping to also share that I am also on the autistic spectrum, and am wondering if anyone heard about Daryl Hannah recently announcing herself as autistic?

http://omg.yahoo.com/blogs/celeb-news/d ... 48095.html

As someone diagnosed with Autism from birth who has struggled with this identity throughout my life, it makes me proud to see a celebrity (who's acting that I like in the movies I see her in) is perceived as a regular person (as far as Hollywood fame goes) instead of perceived as the stereotype that popular media usually presents people with autism as.
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

While I think it's great that she opens up about this, I do have to say she is most likely on the very low end of the autism spectrum. Most people who have serious autism would never be able to function as a movie star.

I think introversion is, these days, often mistaken for autism. I feel that people who aren't an open book and lack social skills are too easily labelled autistic or with aspergers. The medical world has gone totally overboard with diagnosing and labeling children. It has been known in medical science that once diagnosed, people will subconsciously alter their behavior in accordance with the symptoms of their illness.

In short, we're overmedicated.

Having said that, as an introvert myself, I do not deny the seriousness of autism at all. And it's good to see a celebrity shining a light on it. It's nothing to be ashamed of.
bradhig
Anniversary Edition

Post by bradhig »

I have Asperger's syndrome and it causes me to miss social ques.
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

PatrickvD wrote:While I think it's great that she opens up about this, I do have to say she is most likely on the very low end of the autism spectrum. Most people who have serious autism would never be able to function as a movie star.

I think introversion is, these days, often mistaken for autism. I feel that people who aren't an open book and lack social skills are too easily labelled autistic or with aspergers. The medical world has gone totally overboard with diagnosing and labeling children. It has been known in medical science that once diagnosed, people will subconsciously alter their behavior in accordance with the symptoms of their illness.

In short, we're overmedicated.

Having said that, as an introvert myself, I do not deny the seriousness of autism at all. And it's good to see a celebrity shining a light on it. It's nothing to be ashamed of.
Having been diagnosed more than half my life ago, I'd hate to think of it as a lie now.
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

ajmrowland wrote:
PatrickvD wrote:Having been diagnosed more than half my life ago, I'd hate to think of it as a lie now.
I never said this goes for everyone. It's just an observation.
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

PatrickvD wrote:
ajmrowland wrote:
I never said this goes for everyone. It's just an observation.
Yeah, naturally.

My inate ability to miscommunicate things can land me in some trouble with others. Most recently, I just made myself look like/get called a douchebag.
moviefan2k4

Post by moviefan2k4 »

I was diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome about a month ago; here's the intro video I made then.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krdAF6w6wn0[/youtube]
God, guns, and guts made America; let's keep all three.
bradhig
Anniversary Edition

Post by bradhig »

aspergers repeatly caused me to be hated ,accsued of trolling , and banned off several message boards.
disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Post by disneyboy20022 »

bradhig wrote:aspergers repeatly caused me to be hated ,accsued of trolling , and banned off several message boards.
One tough thing I've learned through the years since 1995 being diagnosed. Our actions can't be solely blamed on our Asperger's alone. It can't be a free pass for bad things we do. That being said, it also is a very invisible line that is drawn regarding this topic. I actually went through something called Cognitive Behavior Therapy. It works by saying other didn't cause me to get upset, I caused me to get upset.

I truly believe that for me having Asperger's is a gift. It kept me from wantin to try drugs and other peer pressures. That also being said, no one person's Asperger's is the same as the other.

Try to Hang in there bradhig. Try to hang in there

EDIT.

Do You see a counselor or a psychologist or even a Pyschiatrist. One reason I'm on better terms with my Asperger's is due to some medication I take.

bradhig
Anniversary Edition

Post by bradhig »

They accused me of being obsessed with Princess Allura's pink gown on the Voltron board. I hated the voltron force
spinoff series and people got mad and harassed me. Someone wanted to list reasons why I hated it and when I did that I got banned.

scroll down to where I say it's time they come up with something new and original. Read the responses after that.

I got banned off one disney message board for repeatly talking about the princess's gowns, anastasia's ending ,and trying to stand up for disney sequels when the admin was trying to make the site more anti sequel. That board is long gone now just clipart.
disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Post by disneyboy20022 »

bradhig wrote:
I got banned off one disney message board for repeatly talking about the princess's gowns, anastasia's ending ,and trying to stand up for disney sequels when the admin was trying to make the site more anti sequel. That board is long gone now just clipart.
Honestly, it sounds like they got just what they deserved. They aren't worth worrying about anymore. Try to move on. I think that board sounds beneath you. Try to move on from this. It's not easy, but I think it's something you need to do and after that you might feel a little better.

bradhig
Anniversary Edition

Post by bradhig »

The voltron board is overrun with abusive mods. They threaten people with bans a lot. I bring this up because it
happens to me again and again and again making me wish aspergers would go away.
disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Post by disneyboy20022 »

bradhig wrote:The voltron board is overrun with abusive mods. They threaten people with bans a lot. I bring this up because it
Listen, You Are not the Problem nor your aspergers. In my opinion they are. To me it sounds like a board that I wouldn't want to be a part of. You could make a voltron thread in the Movies section on this forum.

bradhig
Anniversary Edition

Post by bradhig »

disneyboy20022 wrote:
bradhig wrote:The voltron board is overrun with abusive mods. They threaten people with bans a lot. I bring this up because it
Listen, You Are not the Problem nor your aspergers. In my opinion they are. To me it sounds like a board that I wouldn't want to be a part of. You could make a voltron thread in the Movies section on this forum.
That voltron forum is run by the company that made Voltron ,but the real problem is that the administrator claims he
doesn't have time to run the board so he put two moderators in charge who can ban and unban people. They were only
chozen cause they were on the board for soo long and I know of at least two voltron fans who don't go there anymore cause of the abusive mods. One mod who I talked to sounded like she was trying to run the place like the official star
trek forum owned by paramount.
2Disney4Ever
Gold Classic Collection

Post by 2Disney4Ever »

I've got it, just so everyone knows.

Love traditional Disney animation? Send your art to: http://2disney4ever.deviantart.com/
TsWade2
Anniversary Edition

Post by TsWade2 »

I've got it too.
PixarFan2006
Signature Collection

Post by PixarFan2006 »

I also have it. The trouble for me is getting involved in conversations (I can talk but I'm not very vocal) or looking people directly in the eye.
Musical Master
Anniversary Edition

Post by Musical Master »

I do have Asperger's but I've been doing great to counter it (I like to make conversations and talk about many things with friends and family).
Disney, Pixar, Rodgers and Hammerstein, and Cinema fan