Asperger's Syndrome/ Autism Thread

Any topic that doesn't fit elsewhere.
Mason_Ireton
Banned

Post by Mason_Ireton »

In light of Virgina Tech and the discovery of Cho's possible Autism (Missed the tapes, so correct me if I'm wrong on the mentiond comment) Prue and I decided to expose our disability to UD in hope of other members having the courage to do so if they wish and we would love to hear your stories of coping, adapting the disabilites to your needs and the ways you're trying to conquer it.. I'll explain Autism

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autism

a developmental disability that results from a disorder of the human central nervous system. It is diagnosed using specific criteria for impairments to social interaction, communication, interests, imagination and activities. The causes, symptoms, etiology, treatment, and other issues are controversial.

From a physiological standpoint, autism is often less than obvious in that outward appearance may not indicate a disorder. Diagnosis typically comes from a complete patient history and physical and neurological evaluation.

Social Development

Typically developing infants respond socially and will look at faces or orient towards voices. In contrast, most autistic children show little interest in faces and must learn to engage in social interaction. Even in the first few months of life, many autistic children seem indifferent to other people, lacking the eye contact and interaction with others that non-autistic children exhibit naturally.

Many autistic children appear to lack a "theory of mind". Theory of mind refers to representing epistemic mental states such as knowing, believing, deceiving or imagining, and tying them together "into a coherent understanding of how mental states and actions are related."[This is a behavior cited as being exclusive to human beings above the age of five and possibly, to a lesser degree, to other higher primates such as adult gorillas, chimpanzees and bonobos.

Typical 5-year-olds can usually develop insights into other people's knowledge, feelings, and intentions based on social cues (e.g., gestures, vocal tone and facial expressions). An autistic individual may lack these interpretation skills, leaving them unable to predict or understand other people's actions or intentions.

Although not universal, it is common for autistics to have difficulty regulating their behavior, resulting in crying, verbal outbursts, or self-injurious behaviors that seem inappropriate or without cause. Those who have autism may benefit from consistent routines and environments, and they may react negatively to changes in their surroundings. It is not uncommon for these individuals to exhibit poorly modulated behaviors, increased levels of self-stimulatory behavior, self-injury, or extensive withdrawal in overwhelming situations.

However, as an affected individual matures and receives specific socialization education and training, skill may be attained in the recognition of behavioral triggers and more appropriate means of coping will be available for difficult social circumstances.

Now I'll turn hosting to my intellignet friend, Prudence, who'll explain Asperger Syndrome.
Last edited by Mason_Ireton on Fri Apr 20, 2007 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Prudence
Anniversary Edition

The Autistic Spectrum, including Asperger's.

Post by Prudence »

I know Mason first suggested the topic, but I'm ever the analytical questioner. I know of a good many UD members who are on the autistic spectrum, so this discussion should become interesting.

In my life, I have chanced to meet a great variety of people with forms of autism. One thing I want to make perfectly clear is that we are all very different individuals. I would write more, but I have a party to manage tonight - oh, there's something that could be said about me right there. I'm not a stereotypical Aspergian. I was diagnosed with the "disability" at the age of four, receive no therapy or medication for it whatsoever, and am very socially involved. I practically run the social lives of myself and those around me!
That's hot.
Prudence
Anniversary Edition

Post by Prudence »

Oh dear, we posted at the exact same time.

Both of us: "THEY'RE BACK!"

Heh. If anyone wants to merge our threads together, that would be fine.
That's hot.
Mason_Ireton
Banned

Re: The Autistic Spectrum, including Asperger's.

Post by Mason_Ireton »

I was diagnosed at Freshmen High School, always had trouble catching up with my classmates' jokes and whatnots, had a feeling that I was VERY DIFFERENT from the others education wise...I couldn't grasped certain topics/subjects unless I done 'em in my own time. When junior year came along, I figured out why the student body took advantages, outcasted moi and my family....The mockery was too personal for me thus giving me such backbone to stand up for my family/myself, so far it's been going pretty good but there's a few kinks to work out. Lately I've been researching my disabilty and found it quite amazing.

ps: I agree with Prue, Luke, CJ or Escapay, would you kind folks mind combing our threads please?
Mason_Ireton
Banned

Re: Asperger's Syndrome/ Autism Thread

Post by Mason_Ireton »

Both of us: They're back...

I agree bout merging our threads.
disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Post by disneyboy20022 »

I also Have Aspeger Syndrome and I also Have Crohn's and Arthritis related to my Crohn's and I am 400 pounds and having the combo of Arthritis Crohn's Disease and Asperger Syndrome is why I got to go on a Make a Wish Trip and that's the reason I got to meet Roy E Disney because that was my Wish for Make A wish.... That and I was born with a Billateral Cleft Lip and Cleft palate. They fixed this defomrity when I was about 3 weeks old and had continued surgeries related to the Cleft Lip and Palate (roof of your Mouth)

Also When I was on Jay Leno's Tonight Show that was not my Make a wish trip. I arranged that Via the Internet email by contacting them about my talent which if you click the links in My Signature you can learn more about those..

Anyway with all the surgeries I have been through which I stopped counting after 13 which is lot considering I am only 20

Anyhow Back to the Autism of Asperger Syndrome

I was diagnosed when I was in the 4th grade so about 8 or 9 years old. Which back then when You did an internet search for Aspeger Syndrome and it only came up with 5 results.. Now a days there are thousands of results.

Anyway I was the First Diagnosed Asperger Syndrome that was in the whole Elementary school which was only about 500 to 650 kids in the school.. there are 5,000 people in the Town I Live in... Little was known about Asperger Syndrome at the time I was diagnosed and when we had a 'professional" come into the school to explain what it was I had by observing me.... It turns out the Proffesional said that I didn't Look Like I had Asperger Syndrome.....Which that Professional didn't even talk to me she just observed me in the classroom... That and Farting on purpose in High School they made a big deal out of even though I was not farting on purpose and I dont know how... So meetings that we had in High School and in Elementary School was about about my "so Called Disorder" and Farting.. :roll:

Basicly to sum things up Elementary School was a 3 ring Circus :P

I gtg eat so I will update this later...
Want to Hear How I met Roy E. Disney in 2003? Click the link Below

http://fromscreentotheme.com/ThursdayTr ... isney.aspx
PixarFan2006
Signature Collection

Post by PixarFan2006 »

I am a high functioning autistic. Sometimes I have trouble talking to other people and I don't know why but I know its partly due to me having autism.
Mason_Ireton
Banned

Post by Mason_Ireton »

I have the same dog gone trouble too, especialy when it comes to making new friends, like today for example, I met up with an old camp friend of mine who was a counsler at the same camp as I was at, and I couldn't face her...not out of shyness or disbelief of seeing her 3 years later, but my autism causes moi to not face people right in the face, kinda looked at her face once in a while then glance round the room. But it was cool cause Squiggles (My camp friend's camp name) understood my Autism and gave me a helping hand of understanding.
Big Disney Fan
Platinum Edition

Post by Big Disney Fan »

I have Asperger's. A big-timer.
Prudence
Anniversary Edition

Post by Prudence »

I fake normalcy. No, I fake perfectionism. I don't like the "low-functioning" and "high-functioning" labels, because they're really just bogus. I am as high-functioning as it gets, and I wasn't predicted to be.

Socialization and humanities are among my strongest points. Sure, I can be a little different in my approaches, but not in ways that would make me seem abnormal or of lesser intelligence. In fact, no one with Asperger's has lesser intelligence. The majority of Aspergians are intellects.

As for expressions, Aspergians have very readable expressions. Not all can read body language in other people, but I can and a good many can.

I'm not shy or a nervous personality in the least. I know, I know. I'm the exception, not the rule. But I've always been the girl to walk right up to the new person and start up 20 Questions - all the while, looking the new person in the eyes and being quite expressive.

To those who have children or know children on the spectrum, my advice is this:
Please don't underestimate the children you know. They will either grow up thinking they are incapable or grow up to be like me - forever attempting to prove their capabilities and being followed around by Murphy's Law in the process.

Because of being underestimated as a (literally) imperceptible little girl, I do have to say that I am now locally respected and successful. However, the world has no idea how much I have hurt myself to prove my worth and stay in my positions. Only my closest friends and some unfortunate witnesses know, and I'm sure my closest friends are secretly tired of me telling them about it.

No, the majority of people in my life do not have any idea that I am "disabled." They see me as just the opposite, which I like. I just wish the world could know what it's like to be me, but the world can't. I don't want pity.
That's hot.
Mason_Ireton
Banned

Post by Mason_Ireton »

Prudence wrote:
Because of being underestimated as a (literally) imperceptible little girl, I do have to say that I am now locally respected and successful. However, the world has no idea how much I have hurt myself to prove my worth and stay in my positions. Only my closest friends and some unfortunate witnesses know, and I'm sure my closest friends are secretly tired of me telling them about it.
I hate it when people underestimate moi, especialy in personality, for 8 years of my elementary schooling, the school placed me in the Special Ed. class (can't remember the reason) and by 3rd grade I was allowed to be mainstream due to progressing rapidly. The students labeled me as the special one or other disturbing names...I strived for success, strived for accepting, I handled it bird by bird (One by one). Really appericate everybody sharing their Asperger's Syndrome/Autism stories.
TheNikki
Gold Classic Collection

Post by TheNikki »

I was curious if anyone here knows someone who has Landau Syndrome. I ask because my three year old niece was diagnosed with it last week after they took her in to be evaluationed for possible autism.

I'm struggling to learn stuff about this disorder because what I've heard is not encouraging and it just sucks because she's so young and has so much left to do.
TheSequelOfDisney
Signature Collection

Post by TheSequelOfDisney »

TheNikki wrote:I was curious if anyone here knows someone who has Landau Syndrome. I ask because my three year old niece was diagnosed with it last week after they took her in to be evaluationed for possible autism.

I'm struggling to learn stuff about this disorder because what I've heard is not encouraging and it just sucks because she's so young and has so much left to do.
http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/land ... ndrome.htm
The Divulgations of One Desmond Leica: http://desmondleica.wordpress.com/
RyougaLolakie
Gold Classic Collection

Post by RyougaLolakie »

I think its time to show my background of autism.

When I was 3, I couldn't talk. Then, at Elementary school I don't have any thinking skills nor socializing with people, thus making me switch from regular to special needs class during 3rd grade. However, I improved my thinking skills when I was in 6th grade. Knowing that I can learn anything from Mathematics (yes, regular classes) to history but I still have trouble socializing with people. Knowing that I still lacking eye contact (which it is a problem for me) I got an assistant teacher that helps me paying attention and improving education as we going along. As of now, I'm an autistic student, going for regular diploma, and I can't wait for graduation next month! :D
Prudence
Anniversary Edition

Post by Prudence »

TheNikki wrote:What I've heard is not encouraging...
What the majority will say about any disorder is not encouraging, but everyone still has amazing potential. I'm sure your niece is a remarkable little girl.
That's hot.
Prudence
Anniversary Edition

Post by Prudence »

Mason_Ireton wrote:
Prudence wrote:
I hate it when people underestimate moi, especialy in personality, for 8 years of my elementary schooling, the school placed me in the Special Ed. class (can't remember the reason) and by 3rd grade I was allowed to be mainstream due to progressing rapidly. The students labeled me as the special one or other disturbing names...I strived for success, strived for accepting, I handled it bird by bird (One by one). Really appericate everybody sharing their Asperger's Syndrome/Autism stories.
I've always been in the Advanced Placement classes, and I count my blessings since I never was sent to a Special Education classroom. The odd thing is, I think my intellect was part of what earned me my diagnosis. Einstein had Asperger's, you know.

When I was in elementary school, the students just thought I answered the questions too much. No, let me rephrase that. I asked the teachers too many questions, and spoke out of turn. I wanted lesson time to become discussion time. When I realized how annoying that was, I barely interacted at all. I became anorexic in 5th grade, and it must have been on the obvious side, because other girls called me, "Anorexic Freak," "Bulimic Freak," and "So Skinny It's Invisible!" (I am no longer anorexic. By June of 2002, it was completely behind me.)

But yes, my eating disorder was due to striving for success and control.

Mason, the children you attended elementary school with were utterly ignorant. I'm sorry you had to put up with so much ****.
That's hot.
Mason_Ireton
Banned

Re: Asperger Syndrome/Autism Thread

Post by Mason_Ireton »

Thanks for the encouragement Prue, you're right bout the student body being so full of their *bleep* selves, it's uncanny. Well some of them were full of themselves and some were actualy really nice to me. The students didn't have rights to fully degrade me/my family, one of the parents in charge of senior safe tried to boot me off the trip by rudly asking my dad to accompany me. She said that Mason probaly won't have a good time unless his dad came along". It was a shocking to my folks then rumors spread that I was gon'na sue the person *sighs* oi it was one nasty battle, what made it worse that the senior safe people tried to deny the party as a school function but the school ruled it out as being part of school activity. In the end I managed to accompany my class for a price..enduring mockery and shame though I putted on a brave face thus taking the plunge. I didn't know you were blumic, but I like you just the way you are, Prudence, grand duchess.
Prudence
Anniversary Edition

Post by Prudence »

=)

Oh my, that camping trip story reminds me of what happened at a camp the summer after 5th grade. There was this woman who, for some unknown reason, was convinced I was on medication. She kept trying to drug me up, basically. While this was going on, some girls knocked over all my crafts from the top bunk bed and broke them.

That summer was the first and last time I told a large group of people I had Asperger's Syndrome. I wish I hadn't, because they took it as a license to be completely evil brats. (There were 22 other people in my small cabin!)
That's hot.
Mason_Ireton
Banned

Re: Asperger Syndrome/Autism Thread

Post by Mason_Ireton »

Sounds like my war with Senior Safe, sorry bout your cabin crew taking advantage of you, that was another prob. I had with the Senior Safe, they thought I'd be uncontrolable without my meds which ruffled me feathers. Even though I take medications...I've been doing fine whenever I accidently miss a day.
Big Disney Fan
Platinum Edition

Post by Big Disney Fan »

Big Disney Fan wrote:I have Asperger's. A big-timer.
I am a major victim of Asperger's. My parents never knew about it until my doctor diagnosed it.

I once wrote a story for English 35, whose main protagonist is also an Asperger's victim, too.