Asperger's Syndrome/ Autism Thread

Any topic that doesn't fit elsewhere.
DisneyFan97
Anniversary Edition

Re: Asperger's Syndrome/ Autism Thread

Post by DisneyFan97 »

I have High Functioning Autism that used to be called Aspergers.
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney Duster »

I have whatever used to be called Asperger's as well. I heard people now call it Autism Spectrum Disorder, but I like High Functioning Autism, I think that is more specific-sounding. Is that really the official name now?
disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Post by disneyboy20022 »

Disney Duster wrote:I have whatever used to be called Asperger's as well. I heard people now call it Autism Spectrum Disorder, but I like High Functioning Autism, I think that is more specific-sounding. Is that really the official name now?
It is indeed, but I still call it Asperger's regardless. They diagnosed me in 1997, I'm sticking to Asperger's :)
Want to Hear How I met Roy E. Disney in 2003? Click the link Below

http://fromscreentotheme.com/ThursdayTr ... isney.aspx
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Oh, ok thanks.
thedisneyspirit
Anniversary Edition

Post by thedisneyspirit »

Maybe it has been said why, but is there a reason why some people with autism/aspergers/other mental disorders particularly flock to Disney?

I know it's not for all people with these conditions, but a good number of them do and I wonder if there's a correlation. Maybe instead of Disney we can always just say "why do they have particular interests compared to neurotypical people".
Nandor
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Nandor »

I think part of it is animation is very straight-forward when it comes to emotions. You always know what any given character is feeling or thinking and how it affects them. There's much less puzzlement compared to live-action (or life). We can empathise without spending a lot of emotional energy.
Animation in general is colourful, lively and imaginative. Disney animation has a quality all its own, which I haven't defined. The Disney Magic, if you will. There's something very comforting about their films, which is why I seek out specific titles when I feel down. The world doesn't seem like such a bad place when you've just watched a Disney film.
I also enjoy focusing on the animation itself, specifically traditional animation. Watching these characters move around, paying attention to the linework and artistry, and knowing how much effort it took many talented people to breathe life into drawings is such a wonderful thing.
Of course these are highly personal reasons, as are anyone's. Hopefully they'll provide some insight.
I'm curious about others though, do you share my reasons or do you have different ones entirely?
Asante sana, squash banana, wewe nugu, mimi hapana.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Nandor, I think your explanation is perfect! I definitely share in loving the artistry of animation myself, but I wonder if they stuff about emotions rings true for me.

For me, I think people on the autism spectrum like...forgive me, but...simpler and child-friendly things. Not childish, just stuff that even children can grasp. Also, Disney animation is very beautiful, and maybe that grabs us.

Personally for me, I have always loved fantasy and magic and beauty, and Disney seems all about that and have so many movies about that, so that's why I, personally, know I love Disney.
DisneyFan97
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyFan97 »

I am autistic
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Now you're part of the club! :)