The Golden Girls: Official Forum

Any topic that doesn't fit elsewhere.
Simba3
Collector's Edition

The Golden Girls: Official Forum

Post by Simba3 »

Let me just start by saying that The Golden Girls is without a doubt one of the funniest and most witty comedies of all time. It is definately a classic comedy that will be around for a long time. I am a HUGE Golden Girls fan and I think it would be awesome if this forum could be used as a means of discussing Golden Girls. Whether it be the release of the DVDs or just remembering classic episodes, lets get out the cheesecake and start chatting about all things Golden Girls.

I am very much looking forward to Season 6 arriving on DVD November 14th. (I wish it were included in the Disney Movie Rewards program, but unfortunately it is not). Soon my Golden Girls DVD collection will be complete. I love how each DVD box set comes in a different color. They look great stacked next to one another in my DVD collection: Yellow, Blue, Pink, Green, Orange, and season 6 will be purple. I wonder what color the 7th and final season will be? What do you thinK?
Signature courtesy of blackcauldron85!!
MadonnasManOne
Collector's Edition

Post by MadonnasManOne »

The Golden Girls is my favorite television show of all time! I have loved it, ever since I first saw it, back when it was first on television. I'm so excited about the release of Season 6. I feel that Season 7 will more than likely be red. Of course, it could be any color they want, just as long as they release it!
Simba3
Collector's Edition

Post by Simba3 »

What is your all time favorite episode??

Mine is the one where they go to California to be on "Grab That Dough"!!! That episode to this day is still laugh-out-loud funny, I love it!!

Game show host: Finish this popular phrase, "Better late than..."
Blanche (rings in and says) "PREGNANT!"
Escapay
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Escapay »

Simba3 wrote:What is your all time favorite episode??
I don't think I could pinpoint my favorite episode of all time, but my favorite moment of all time is this: (from "Big Daddy's Little Girl", Episode 6, Season 2)

Dorothy: Hi, Rose. Tell me, did you get a chance to play with those lyrics I gave you?
Rose: Yeah, listen to this!
(Rose plays some jazzy chords)
Dorothy: Hey, that sounds great! Let's take it from the top.
Rose: From the top, oh, that sounds so musical!
Dorothy: Tickle the ivories, Rose.
Rose: Cootchie-cootchie-cootchie-coo!
(Rose laughs, Dorothy stares.)
Dorothy: Rose, PLAY OR DIE!
(Rose begins playing as Dorothy sings)
Dorothy: Miami is nice, so I'll say it twice! Miami is nice, Miami is nice, Miami is...wait. Wait a minute, wait a minute. You put in an extra "Miami is nice".
Rose: I had to, it hurts the music if you don't put it in.
Dorothy: Yeah, but the lyrics don't make any sense. I mean it says, "Miami is NICE, so I'll say it TWICE."
Rose: Oh, I see your point. Well, what about this? "Miami is NICE, so I'll say it THRICE."
Dorothy: Who the hell says thrice?
Rose: It's a word.
Dorothy: So is intrauterine. It does not belong in a song.
(Dorothy leaves, as Rose begins to play)
Rose: Miami...you're cuter than...an intrauterine...

Escapay
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
Simba3
Collector's Edition

Post by Simba3 »

Ha ha!! YES, yes, yes, that is definately a classic Golden Girls moment. :lol:

I just saw the one the other day where they are breeding minks in the garage, meanwhile Blanche finds out she's going through menopause. The part where Dorothy is explaining to Rose what spanish fly is, is absolutely histarical!
BATBfan1
Terminated

Post by BATBfan1 »

I just hope we get The Golden Palace and that will complete our Golden Girl Collection. :D
Simba3
Collector's Edition

Post by Simba3 »

The Golden Palace just wasn't the same . . . not to me anyway! They tryed but I felt they failed miserably.
kbehm29
Anniversary Edition

Post by kbehm29 »

The Golden Girls is my ALLTIME favorite sitcom. I unfortunately haven't bought any of the season sets yet. :( I just have so many darn DVDs on my wishlist, and the TV season sets are always so expensive.

Anyway...all four of them crack me up. Rose is too much! I can't wait to own these on DVD. I am going to go bump them up to the top of my wishlist now.
Disneyland Trips: 1983, 1992, 1995, 2001, 2002, 2004, 2008, 2009, 2011, 2013, 2014, 2016, Aug 2018
Walt Disney World Trips: 1999, 2007, 2011, 2014, 2016, ~Dec 2018~, ~Apr 2019~
Favorite Disney Movies: Peter Pan, 101 Dalmatians, Tangled, The Princess and the Frog, Enchanted, FROZEN
xxhplinkxx
Collector's Edition

Post by xxhplinkxx »

Simba3 wrote:The Golden Palace just wasn't the same . . . not to me anyway! They tryed but I felt they failed miserably.
Of course its not the same, but it had its moments. and it does have the 2 episodes in which Dorothy comes back! The only things I hated about Golden Palace was that Oliver kid and what they did with the Rose/Miles story... grr...

"Hip hop frightens you, doesn't it....Hmmm...Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate. Hate leads to endlessly posting threads about stupid white people. Hmmmmm....."

I love Siren!
Simba3
Collector's Edition

Post by Simba3 »

kbehm29 wrote:The Golden Girls is my ALLTIME favorite sitcom. I unfortunately haven't bought any of the season sets yet. :( I just have so many darn DVDs on my wishlist, and the TV season sets are always so expensive.
As with any other DVDs if you buy them on the first day they come out, they are usually cheaper. First day Golden Girls sets are usually as low as $28, but if you wait they go back up to around $40. I would recommend getting Season 6 on the day it comes out, then going back and buying the others.
MadonnasManOne
Collector's Edition

Post by MadonnasManOne »

xxhplinkxx wrote:
Simba3 wrote:The Golden Palace just wasn't the same . . . not to me anyway! They tryed but I felt they failed miserably.
Of course its not the same, but it had its moments. and it does have the 2 episodes in which Dorothy comes back! The only things I hated about Golden Palace was that Oliver kid and what they did with the Rose/Miles story... grr...
I agree. While The Golden Palace was not as good, in my opinion, as The Golden Girls, it certainly did have it's moments. For example, Rose became a stronger person. We saw the determination of all three "Girls" to move on, and begin a new chapter in their lives. I also agree with xxhplinkxx. I didn't really care about the kid, Oliver, and I absolutely HATED that they ended Rose and Mile's relationship. It just didn't feel right.

I do hope they will release The Golden Palace on DVD. It's only one season, and it would be a great addition to have, as part of The Golden Girls legacy!
Simba3
Collector's Edition

Post by Simba3 »

Yeah, I guess I will agree, although it was not nearly as great as the Golden Girls, The Golden Palace certainly did have some great moments. The 2 episodes in which Dorothy comes back are as funny as some of the best Golden Girls episodes.
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: The Golden Girls: Official Forum

Post by Disney's Divinity »

So Betty White is turning 99 in two days! :o I'm so happy she's still around, and I hope she's happy and healthy. <3

Not to be morbid: I'm not sure who of the four I thought would last the longest, but I suppose White makes sense. She has a real positive energy about her, always has. :P The best indicator of that is how close a person is to animals. McClanahan was so vivacious in real life (as on camera) though. It's just sad because who would've expected Estelle Getty to go firstwhen she was the youngest of the cast. :( And how she, Arthur, and McClanahan went almost one year one after the other. Arthur was always my favorite of the four, although I liked them all.

I still remember growing up watching The Golden Girls on Lifetime when I'd get home from school (I can't remember if that was before or after Toonami would come on because you know Sailor Moon got first priority). I always enjoyed watching their Intimate Portraits episodes, too. :) It's hard for me to watch re-runs on TV these days because the show is mutilated in edits. They seem to ruin the timing of the best moments (like Dorothy's speech during second scene in the murder mystery episode) or take out the best part of a scene (Rose muttering to herself that Blanche is a hypersexual bitch :lol: ). I just put the DVDs on these days.

EDIT: Ah, no, Getty was not the youngest. I'm not sure where I picked that up from. She was second youngest after McClanahan. I was just glancing over their Wikipedia pages. Apparently as part of her HIV / AIDS activism, Getty helped open a hospice in NC that's only an hour's drive from where I am and in the city where I went to college! :)
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Re: The Golden Girls: Official Forum

Post by Vlad »

I started watching the show again from start to finish. I just love it so much. The writing is hilarious. Each character is so brilliantly performed by these talented ladies. Dorothy's sarcasm and facial expressions, Rose's St. Olaf stories, Blanche's stories about her sexual escapades, and Sophia's "Picture it" stories are all iconic.

If I were to chose a favorite moment, it would be super hard, but it would be that one where Dorothy pours Sophia a cup of tea.

"Here....have some tea....It'll relax you." :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: And she does that priceless blank stare.