DVDizzy.com

Home | Reviews | Schedule | Cover Art | Search The Site
DVDizzy.com Top Stories:

It is currently Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 3:00 am 
Special Edition

I would like a very good site for reviews on broadway shows as I am going there this summer.
Thanks

Beware of Hitchiking Ghosts
-The Haunted Mansion(DL and MK)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 12:45 pm 
Platinum Edition

Ask Prince Eric. :wink: :P

Escapay

WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 1:08 pm 
Limited Edition

Oh, GhostHost, you must go and see Wicked! It is a musical based on the novel of the same name by Gregory Maguire, and tells the story of the Good (G(a)linda) and Wicked (Elphaba) Witches of Oz before Dorothy "dropped in". Everyone I know who has seen Wicked was just dazzled by the production. You will not be disappointed.

Not to mention music and lyrics are by the Academy Award winner Stephen Schwartz, who wrote worked on Disney's Pocahontas.

Notice my avatar and siggie for reference.

*tlm

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 6:00 pm 
Limited Edition

GhostHost wrote:
I would like a very good site for reviews on broadway shows as I am going there this summer.
Thanks

I don't know any sites that compile Broadway reviews, but I can tell you in general if they well-recieved or not. Tell me, what's your taste in musicals? Would you like to stick with productions that are based on familiar material? Would you rather try something new? What type of music do you like in your showtunes? Do you prefer spectacle or story/character development? Do you want to be entertained or do you want to watch something resonant. Also, how many shows do you want to go to? How much money are you willing to spend. Some shows require you to sit in the orchestra to get the full benefit of set designs. There's about 20 musicals on Broadway right now, so give me a little background information and I think I could come up with a list of shows you might like. :wink:

1) Brokeback Mountain 2) The Squid and the Whale 3) Me And You And Everyone We Know 4) The New World 5) A History of Violence 6) Match Point 7) Munich 8.) Crash 9) Wallace and Gromit 10) Pride & Prejudice

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 10:56 am 
Special Edition

I just saw Wicked on tour and it was amazing. Thanks though.

In response to Prince Eric:

I hope to see at least 3 shows. Some of the shows I am interested in are:

The Producers-Since I love both movies, is it still worth seeing with different leads?

Sweeny Todd- I have never seen a version of Sweeny Todd before, I know this is getting very good reviews. What exactly is it like. Is this an acquired taste kind of show or a safe bet if you enjoy horror stories and musicals?

The Lion King- I love the movie, have heard that show is more about costumes and sets than anything else. Is this true? I am all for great sets and costumes, but I would like it to have as much or more emotional impact than the movie.

Beauty and the Beast- I know you don't like it, but what do crictics and audiences say overall? I heard that it focuses more on character development and such than the Lion King. Again, I love the movie.

The Phantom of the Opera- I love the movie version and think this might really be amazing to see live on stage, I am pretty sure about seeing this one, only the new Christine has been getting a considerable number of bad reviews.

Avenue Q- I am not very likely to see this one. I know it was very well recieved, but watching puppets have sex live on stage is not on the top of my to-do list, plus I am fairly selective about comedies, what is the public's gold is often my dirt and what is the public's dirt is occasionaly my gold.

Tarzan-I probably won't be seeing this, I really like the movie but not like some Disney films. I always don't care much for Phil Collins, I mean sometimes he is good, but he is no Howard Ashman.

Some things I didn't mention is that I am absolutely obsessed with Little Shop of Horrors and have never seen the stage show(but love the 1986 movie and 2004 revivial original cast recording). I always really love old Hollywood musicals like Singin' in the Rain. I am also open to off-Broadway suggestions.

A spectacle is fine, but it needs some heart.

Thanks

Beware of Hitchiking Ghosts
-The Haunted Mansion(DL and MK)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 12:17 pm 
Limited Edition

My suggestion is that you be adventurous when choosing Broadway shows. It's not everyday you can visit the Great White Way. If I were you, I would have a nice blend of new and old shows, adaptations and new material. I would also see shows that are less likely to be around for long. The Phantom of the Opera and Beauty and the Beast will be around forever, so there's no rush. Regarding the shows you suggested:

Avenue Q, The Lion King, and Sweeny Todd recieved unanimous praise. Avenue Q beat out Wicked for Best Musical during its competitive season which says a lot in my opinion. I have not seen the actual show, but the original cast recording is hilarious. It's smart, intelligent, and it's musically challenging as well. It's off-color humor is off-putting, but I think that's the point: to confront the politics headfirst. The Lion King is said to be very gorgeous. I've never heard negative complaints regarding its emotional resonance, in fact, I think it actually takes the movie and heightens everything to a more mature level. Sweeny Todd is a Stephen Sondheim masterpiece. The guy's musicals are definately more challenging that typical musicals. They are lyrically driven, as opposed to dialogue driven and they deal with more weighty issues. They are definately not spectacles. This version is a minimalist version which means it focuses more on the orchestrations of the music, which is always a beautiful thing.

The Producers also recieved races, but it's become apparant that the original leads were what made the show's broad humor seem fresh. Also, the new leads seem to be trying to impersonate Nathan Lane and Matthew Broderick instead of playing the actual roles. That's not a good thing. Also, you've seen the movie. I don't think you'd want to pay seventy bucks for something you are already familar with, but since you love the movie so much, it would be a safe investment.

The Phantom of the Opera is an Andrew Lloyd Webber musical, so there's not much to say there. It's pure spectacle. Like all of Webber's musicals, the songs do not advance the story, but usually summarize what the book (script) has already said. He's viewed as public enemy number one in the eyes of the New York theater community, but general audiences love him. Again, if you like the movie, it's a safe bet you'll like the show. However, it's going to run forever, so there's no rush to see it now. Also, it tours every couple of years.

Beauty and the Beast was critically thrased when it opened, but it's still running, so obviously audiences love it. However, it lost all its Tony nominations during a relatively weak season. There is almost no character development and it does not develop the emotional story. It's basically just a medley of all the movie's songs. I would REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, not consider seeing this. Tarzan is also recieveing a critical bashing as well, and audiences aren't responding to it.

For some shows that you didn't suggest:

The critical darlings and fan favorites of the past season would be Jersey Boys and The Drowsy Chaperone. Jersey Boys tells the story of the rise of Franki Valli and The Four Seasons. It's supposed to be very well-written and is the current front-runner for the Best Musical Tony. The Drowsy Chaperone is about a young woman in the 1920's who's obsessed with Broadway musicals starring the perpetual Tony nominee Sutton Foster. Also, The Color Purple is a huge audience favorite, despite its mixed reviews. Two other musicals from the pervious season that recieved unanimous praise are SPamalot, based on the Monty Python movies, and The Light in the Piazza, a romance with unbelievably beautiful music.

So, there's a lot to choose from. I would really try and see 4 musicals. It will be worth it. Based on what you told me, I would see...

The Lion King - It's the only spectacle show on Broadway right now that has substance and has both critical and audience backing. Even though it has enjoyed a great run since 1998, it's very expensive to produce, so you never know when they might pull the plug on it. A Best Musical Tony winner during its competitive season.

Sweeny Todd - It's a classic and has great music and is resonant as well. It's always nice to see a musical every once in awhile that is challenging to watch, plus it's horror, something you don't see every day on the Broadway stage. It's almost guaranteed to win this year's Tony award for Best Musical revival.

Either The Producers or The Phantom of the Opera . Since you already love the movies, you'll like the source material, but don't see both. Both are destined for very long runs and they tour quite frequenty and it's always great to see stuff you haven't seen before. Honestly, I would chose Avenue Q over these two, but then again, it's good to treat yourself to something that's already in your safe zone.

If you get to see a fourth show, see one that is new. It's fun to see a show with its original cast, because you can always say you saw the same people on stage that are on the album. The Drowsy Chaperone doesn't have many showstoppers, and you'd probably have to be familiar with Franki Valli's and the Four Season's music to like Jersey Boys, so I would recommend The Color Purple. The story is timeless and everyone has had something good to say about it, especially the music and the performances, even thought as a whole, it has problems.

Hope this helps!

:)

1) Brokeback Mountain 2) The Squid and the Whale 3) Me And You And Everyone We Know 4) The New World 5) A History of Violence 6) Match Point 7) Munich 8.) Crash 9) Wallace and Gromit 10) Pride & Prejudice

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 12:19 pm 
Limited Edition

My suggestion is that you be adventurous when choosing Broadway shows. It's not everyday you can visit the Great White Way. If I were you, I would have a nice blend of new and old shows, adaptations and new material. I would also see shows that are less likely to be around for long. The Phantom of the Opera and Beauty and the Beast will be around forever, so there's no rush. Regarding the shows you suggested:

Avenue Q, The Lion King, and Sweeny Todd recieved unanimous praise. Avenue Q beat out Wicked for Best Musical during its competitive season which says a lot in my opinion. I have not seen the actual show, but the original cast recording is hilarious. It's smart, intelligent, and it's musically challenging as well. It's off-color humor is off-putting, but I think that's the point: to confront the politics headfirst. The Lion King is said to be very gorgeous. I've never heard negative complaints regarding its emotional resonance, in fact, I think it actually takes the movie and heightens everything to a more mature level. Sweeny Todd is a Stephen Sondheim masterpiece. The guy's musicals are definately more challenging that typical musicals. They are lyrically driven, as opposed to dialogue driven and they deal with more weighty issues. They are definately not spectacles. This version is a minimalist version which means it focuses more on the orchestrations of the music, which is always a beautiful thing.

The Producers also recieved races, but it's become apparant that the original leads were what made the show's broad humor seem fresh. Also, the new leads seem to be trying to impersonate Nathan Lane and Matthew Broderick instead of playing the actual roles. That's not a good thing. Also, you've seen the movie. I don't think you'd want to pay seventy bucks for something you are already familar with, but since you love the movie so much, it would be a safe investment.

The Phantom of the Opera is an Andrew Lloyd Webber musical, so there's not much to say there. It's pure spectacle. Like all of Webber's musicals, the songs do not advance the story, but usually summarize what the book (script) has already said. He's viewed as public enemy number one in the eyes of the New York theater community, but general audiences love him. Again, if you like the movie, it's a safe bet you'll like the show. However, it's going to run forever, so there's no rush to see it now. Also, it tours every couple of years.

Beauty and the Beast was critically thrased when it opened, but it's still running, so obviously audiences love it. However, it lost all its Tony nominations during a relatively weak season. There is almost no character development and it does not develop the emotional story. It's basically just a medley of all the movie's songs. I would REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, not consider seeing this. Tarzan is also recieveing a critical bashing as well, and audiences aren't responding to it.

For some shows that you didn't suggest:

The critical darlings and fan favorites of the past season would be Jersey Boys and The Drowsy Chaperone. Jersey Boys tells the story of the rise of Franki Valli and The Four Seasons. It's supposed to be very well-written and is the current front-runner for the Best Musical Tony. The Drowsy Chaperone is about a young woman in the 1920's who's obsessed with Broadway musicals starring the perpetual Tony nominee Sutton Foster. Also, The Color Purple is a huge audience favorite, despite its mixed reviews. Two other musicals from the pervious season that recieved unanimous praise are SPamalot, based on the Monty Python movies, and The Light in the Piazza, a romance with unbelievably beautiful music.

So, there's a lot to choose from. I would really try and see 4 musicals. It will be worth it. Based on what you told me, I would see...

The Lion King - It's the only spectacle show on Broadway right now that has substance and has both critical and audience backing. Even though it has enjoyed a great run since 1998, it's very expensive to produce, so you never know when they might pull the plug on it. A Best Musical Tony winner during its competitive season.

Sweeny Todd - It's a classic and has great music and is resonant as well. It's always nice to see a musical every once in awhile that is challenging to watch, plus it's horror, something you don't see every day on the Broadway stage. It's almost guaranteed to win this year's Tony award for Best Musical revival.

Either The Producers or The Phantom of the Opera . Since you already love the movies, you'll like the source material, but don't see both. Both are destined for very long runs and they tour quite frequenty and it's always great to see stuff you haven't seen before. Honestly, I would chose Avenue Q over these two, but then again, it's good to treat yourself to something that's already in your safe zone.

If you get to see a fourth show, see one that is new. It's fun to see a show with its original cast, because you can always say you saw the same people on stage that are on the album. The Drowsy Chaperone doesn't have many showstoppers, and you'd probably have to be familiar with Franki Valli's and the Four Season's music to like Jersey Boys, so I would recommend The Color Purple. The story is timeless and everyone has had something good to say about it, especially the music and the performances, even thought as a whole, it has problems.

Hope this helps!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 3:05 pm 
Limited Edition

I highly recommend Avenue Q and Jersey Boys -- both fabulous in their own ways.

The first, as Eric previously stated, beat out Wicked for Best Musical in 2003, which I was highly disappointed in -- yet, it is constantly hilarious and fun, albeit it's style of humor may be somewhat off-putting to a select few.

The second -- Jersey Boys -- based on the rise of Franki Valli and the Four Seasons is pure nostalgia. Every tune is incredibly spunky and wonderful, especially my favorite - "Sherry." (Unlike Eric said, I had absolutley no previous experience with any of Valli and the Four Season's music -- but, I still adore the show)

All in all, I would suggest picking up the Cast Recordings of any of the shows you might be interested in either at a CD store, on iTunes, or maybe at your local library.

*tlm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 3:33 pm 
Limited Edition

TheLittleMerman wrote:
I highly recommend Avenue Q and Jersey Boys -- both fabulous in their own ways.

The first, as Eric previously stated, beat out Wicked for Best Musical in 2003, which I was highly disappointed in -- yet, it is constantly hilarious and fun, albeit it's style of humor may be somewhat off-putting to a select few.

*tlm

I was quite glad. Wicked doesn't even compare to the lyrical/musical achievement that is Avenue Q. It was fun, but the music wasn't memorable and I found the two leads to be very annoying.

Anyway, just to break down my first post even more:

What you should see based on your likes: The Lion King, Sweeny Todd, and The Phantom of the Opera. If four, then The Jersey Boys.

My personal choices: The Lion King, Sweeny Todd, Avenue Q, and The Light in the Piazza (it closes July 2)