Help Me Pick Famous People to Draw Into the Woods Characters

Any topic that doesn't fit elsewhere.
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Help Me Pick Famous People to Draw Into the Woods Characters

Post by Disney Duster »

Hey all!

Have you seen Into the Woods? Or maybe you just know the fairy tales Cinderella, Jack and the Beanstalk, Little Red Riding Hood, Rapunzel, Sleeping Beauty, or Snow White?! Maybe you can help!

I am asking forum member Marce82 to draw my ideas of costumes for Into the Woods, just for fun, though I do wish they could be made real in some production some day! I wish! Get it? Lol anyway, I am opening this thread for suggestions on who you think we could base the looks of the characters on. They can be any ethnicity, ok? I am not promising I will choose everyone's suggestions, but I will consider everyone's, and hey, maybe some suggestions of yours will get chosen!

I plan to show everyone my designs and Marce82's beautiful artwork once we are done! Any help is welcome, there are no stupid suggestions!

Character list and who I have thought of (and remember, some of them I would base on when they looked younger lol).
EDIT: Also, I forgot to say, some of the names in my list were from a 90's planned film of Into the Woods that never came to be.:

Cinderella - I already chose Scarlett Johansson and we made her look like her.

Cinderella's Stepmother - Jessica Lange, Miranda Richardson, Catherine O’Hara, Kathleen Turner, Bette Davis.

Lucinda - Carrie Fisher, Heidi Klum, Amanda Seyfried

Florinda – Bebe Neuwirth, Emma Stone

Cinderella's Father - Haven't thought of anyone so far.

Cinderella's Mother - Haven't thought of who would play her either.

Jack -Ed Sheeran, Elijah Wood

Jack’s Mother – Roseanne Barr, Mary Steenburgen, Bette Davis, Joan Crawford

Baker – Robin Williams, Lin-Manuel Miranda

Baker’s Wife – Goldie Hawn, Lucille Ball

Little Red Riding Hood - Shanice Williams (who played Little Red Riding Hood at the Hollywood Bowl)

Granny - Tamyra Gray (who played Granny at the Hollywood Bowl)

The Witch – Cher, Audra McDonald, Bette Davis, Joan Crawford, Patina Miller (who played The Witch at the Hollywood Bowl)

Rapunzel - Daryl Hannah, Mia Farrow, Margot Robbie

Cinderella’s Prince – Rob Lowe, Brad Pitt

The Wolf - I want him to be the same as Cinderella's Prince.

Rapunzel’s Prince – Chris Hemsworth, Brendan Fraser, John Stamos

Prince's Steward - I haven't thought of anyone for him.

The Mysterious Man - I have no clue.

The Narrator - I have no clue.

Thanks for any help!
Last edited by Disney Duster on Fri May 01, 2020 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Re: Help Me Pick Famous People to Draw Into the Woods Charac

Post by UmbrellaFish »

Sounds very fun! I’d love to see the finished product!

Cinderella- ScarJo is a great choice for Cindy!

Stepmother- I love the idea of Catherine O’Hara!

Lucinda and Florinda- I say Carrie Fisher and Bebe Neuwirth!

Jack- I think a young Elijah Wood sounds great!

Jack’s Mother- I actually think Lucille Ball would be great here, circa 1970’s Lucy tho.

Baker- Robin Williams 100%! Wouldn’t that have been great 30 years ago?

Bakers Wife- I *love* Lucy, but I think she’s all wrong for this role. I know it’s for fun, but Lucy was a famously terrible singer. And I think her iconic make-up is too distinctive for this role. Of the two, I’d go with Goldie.

Little Red- I like Shanice!!

Granny- Might I suggest Dame Julie Andrews? Think Eloise.

The Witch- I would have loved to have seen what the costume designer who have made for Cher in that proposed 90’s version. So Cher! Another suggestion— before Meryl was cast, people suggested Catherine Zeta Jones for the Witch and I’ve always thought she would have been extremely beautiful.

Rapunzel- Ooooo. I like all three of these... I say go with Daryl.

Cindy’s Prince- Brad Pitt.

Rapunzel’s Prince— I like Brendan Fraser here. Maybe even Chris Pratt?

The Narrator/Mysterious Man- What about Dick Van Dyke? Especially if he was Robin’s dad?
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I'm glad you find this fun! I hope you will like the final thing. :) And I love your choices! Jack's Mother being Lucille Ball is inspired and awesome! You reminded me that some of my choices were from the 90's cast for the planned film that never happened, so I edited my post to say that. It's true that Lucy isn't known for her singing, I just like that she was pretty but funny and had red hair. Maybe I will think of someone else. Julie Andrews as Granny is rather interesting! I have not seen Eloise though. I should find a clip! Cher would be super amazing, but I am wondering if that would make her too close to Mother Gothel in Tangled. But you are right that what they designed for her if she had been the Witch would probably have been amazing! And Catherine Zeta Jones is a fantastic suggestion! I also really like the Chris Pratt and Dick Van Dyke suggestions! I have to say Dick Van Dyke already sounds like an amazing choice!

I will think about your suggestions as I explore the perfect peeps to be in my imaginary Into the Woods!

Oh, I thought of someone for Jack's Mother if not Lucille Ball. What do you think of Eileen Brennan, Mrs. Peacock from Clue?
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

I think Eileen Brennan could definitely work! But now I am partial to Lucy haha.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Haha! Well we shall see.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

Just to clarify, are you trying to pick actors all from the same era (like all 80s actors) or are you picking whatever actor at whatever age you feel would work for the character?

I really like Miranda Richardson for Cinderella's Stepmother and Elijah Wood for Jack. Wasn't Jack's mother a very homely peasant woman? I'm not sure if Joan Crawford would fit that role or even Bette Davis although she's played roles like that in the past.

For the Witch, I like Joan Crawford. What would be interesting is if you cast Bette Davis as the old, cursed version of the Witch and Joan Crawford as the younger version since Bette was always more comfortable shifting into an unflattering role. Otherwise, I think Audra McDonald is a great choice as well. Madonna would also be a good choice for the Witch if you want someone who hasn't been listed yet.

For the Baker's wife, what about Nicole Kidman? I like Lin for the Baker a lot.

You could possibly go with both Hemsworth brothers for the two princes, as in casting Liam in one of the roles. I think he would fit with Cinderella's prince. I also like using Rob Lowe and John Stamos as both princes. Has Cinderella's Prince been double cast as the wolf before? I actually feel like Rob Lowe AND John Stamos would both make very good choices for the wolf since you'll want a prince then who can look like both characters. James Franco and Dave Franco would also be good choices for the two princes especially with James Franco as the Wolf also. He's got the sleazy bit down.

I think Taylor Swift or Reese Witherspoon would be good choices for Rapunzel.

I forgot, who is the Mysterious Man supposed to be in the original musical again? And the Narrator actually gets killed off right?

Debbie Reynolds could be a choice for the Granny.

For the stepsisters, what about Kristen Wiig, Maya Rudolph, Kate McKinnon, or Amy Poehler? I keep thinking of comic actors for those roles. Otherwise what about Emma Roberts, Billie Lourd, or Lea Michelle? Definitely channeling Scream Queens there.

BTW, do you need actors for the Giant and the Giantess?

Eloise is a really good movie btw and I would recommend it! The sequel as well.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Thanks for coming in and making suggestions! I am looking for any fmaous people from any time period.

You saying Bette Davis played roles like homely woman makes me really want to cast her as Jack's Mother. I want a very domineering Jack's Mother. The reason I thought of Joan Crawford was because I thought of Mommy Dearest! lol

I think it's down to Cher or Joan Crawford for the Witch now. Your idea of seperate actresses for the old and then the young is cool but I want to try and make it look like they are the same actress.

OMG Nicole Kidman is a fantastic choice for the Baker's Wife! I like that one a lot! I just wonder if she's too pretty?

I am now thinking of Freddie Prinze Jr. for the Baker, because I am thinking of a Latino, which is why I had thought of Lin, but Marce82 is thinking maybe it shouldn't be Lin.

I like your idea of the Hemsworth brothers. I was so sold on Brad Pitt for Cinderella's Prince, but I think Chris Hemsworth as that Prince and Liam Hemsworth as Rapunzel's Prince would be better. Or do you think they should be the other way around?

The Mysterious Man is the Baker's (and Rapunzel's) father. The same actor who was The Narrator also played The Mysterious Man in the two Braodway versions.

Debbie Reynolds is an amazing choice for Granny, but I wanted a black woman because I was thinking of a black Little Red Ridinghood. Any idea of any other black actresses for Little Red Ridinghood as well, because the one I picked has already been in the show and I didn't want to do repeats...

I like your idea of comedians for the stepfamily, but I'm going more with looks for them, and I already have some very pretty actresses in mind. They are all described as "beautiful of face".

No, I don't need to cast the Giant or Giantess.

I should rent Elois and see. Someday. There's lots of movies I wanna see!
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

It's definitely less limiting if it can be any famous person from any time period!

Yes, Bette Davis played a more homely, regular mother in The Catered Affair where she was Debbie Reynolds' mother. It's not one of her more famous films but Bette herself said she was very proud of her acting in that film because it was so different from her usual more bombastic roles. And she was domineering in it as well but also you felt for her and rooted for her so going by what you want for Jack's mother I think she'd be a good choice. Somehow I don't think Mommy Dearest is what comes to mind when I think of Jack's mother but keep in mind that I've only seen the Disney film so I don't know if Jack's mother is the Mommy Dearest type in the musical.

I like both Cher or Joan for the Witch! I also considered Lady Gaga for a brief second.

Is the Baker's Wife supposed to be homely in the musical? It seems like that because she's poor but Emily Blunt was cast in the film and she's quite pretty even in rags. And I'm not sure if Cinderella's prince is attracted to her because she's quite beautiful or just because she happens to be any woman willing to open her legs for him.

Is Freddie Prince Jr. a Latino? Actually if you are thinking of Freddie for the Baker, what about Sarah Michelle Gellar for the Baker's wife? Although she might be too pretty as well if that's a concern.

I think I thought of Liam as Cinderella's prince because he resembles Chris Pine more especially as both are brunettes. While Chris Hemsworth is blonde like Rapunzel's prince in the movie. However, I don't really know what the princes are supposed to look like in the musical so that's in part why I'm going based off the movie. If you want another Chris as Cinderella's prince that would make sense. I guess it also depends on which Hemsworth brother you think is the better actor since Cinderella's prince is the meatier role and also which Hemsworth brother could pull off playing the wolf.

Thanks for confirming the Mysterious Man. I read the synopsis on Wiki a long time ago but I couldn't remember, only that he was some fairy tale character from the past whose identity gets revealed. I didn't realize that he was the same actor as the Narrator in the Broadway versions. I'm not really sure about these roles then but if you've seen Netflix's A Series of Unfortunate Events, Patrick Warburton (the voice of Kronk) plays a narrator who constantly pauses the screen and talks directly to the audience. If you're fine with that distinctive voice of Kronk, he might be a good choice.

Angela Bassett is 61 (although she doesn't look it at all) so she could maybe play the Granny if you don't mind her looking younger than a typical granny. Otherwise how about Cicely Tyson? Or Phylicia Rashad? For Little Red, what age do you think she should be? As in, a small child like 6-7, 9-11, or a teenager like 13-15 or something like that? What about a young Raven Symone? Or Keke Palmer? Amandla Stenberg played Rue in The Hunger Games.

Oh ok, I didn't realize the stepsisters were beautiful in the musical like in the fairy tale as well. Shoulda figured since it's faithful to the Grimm fairy tale.

BTW, are you casting Snow White and Sleeping Beauty?
ImageImage
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

(I didn't really have ideas when you first posted, except for Mandy Moore as Rapunzel...not even just because she played Rapunzel for Disney, but I <3 her.)

Skai Jackson for Little Red Riding Hood?

Ooh, Freddie + Michelle as the baker and his wife! (And yes, he is Latino.)

I thought Liam Hemsworth is naturally a blonde & he dyed his hair for The Hunger Games...?

OMG KRONK!
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Oh, JeanGreyForever, thank you for telling me about Bette Davis! Sounds like she may be perfect!

I only thought of Mommy Dearest because that's what I think of when I think of a mother that is controlling and domineering lol. I haven't even seen the movie, I just know the basic idea. She is not like that in the musical, I just thought my version would make her that way.

The Baker's Wife is never described as "fair" or "beautiful" and I don't think she's ever been played by someone "pretty" except Amy Adams. She's supposed to be a little pretty, but not somone who is as pretty as Cinderella or her stepfamily. And no, the Prince doesn't like just anyone who opens their legs for him! lol He likes her because she is ok in looks and very brave being in the woods alone.

Aw, I didn't know Freddie and Michelle married! Now I love Scooby Doo even more!

I had no idea Freddie was Latino till my one friend told me.

Your ideas about how Liam looks like Chris Pine, and how that Prince needs to play the Wolf makes me think that yes, he should be Cinderella's. I also like how Chris looks so good with the long blonde hair. That's always how I've seen him as a aesthetic match for Rapunzel.

Not feeling Patrick Warburton, not the kind I had in mind.

Angela Basset may be perfect! I like a younger, sassy Granny. Phylicia Rashad already played the Witch so I won't be using her even though she is awesome. I would like a teenage Little Red, 13-15, but any actress could be her as long as they grew to be at 15 years by now. I love the idea of a young Raven Symone! It's just that she's someone I know well, and so funny and can sing!

I forgot, I am totally casting Snow White and Sleeping Beauty! I wonder who I will use for them!

Amy, Skai Jackson looks like a doll! It's unreal! I like Raven for Little Red, but thanks for the suggestions and info and just coming in!
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

I'm glad you like Bette Davis for the role! When I saw her on the list I thought she would be perfect for Jack's mom (although the real life Bette Davis would probably never go for a role that isn't one of the main ones lol. Luckily you don't have to deal with that).

As someone who has seen Mommy Dearest, I can assure you that the Joan Crawford in there (which isn't a very accurate portrayal btw) is definitely not what you want for Jack's mom, even a more domineering one. Mommy Dearest would be more akin to Cinderella's stepmother or Gothel 10x.

I had no idea Amy Adams played the Baker's wife, that's so neat! Hmm if the Baker's wife isn't supposed to be as beautiful then maybe Nicole Kidman would be the wrong choice. I hate to use them as examples as if implying that they aren't beautiful but the following actresses may not fit the stereotypical Hollywood mold when it comes to looks: Laura Dern or Ruth Wilson. Ruth Wilson in particular is a very proficient actress who can really get into the skin of any role. If you used younger versions of them that might work in comparison to your ScarJo as Cinderella. Thanks for the explanation on what the prince desired in a woman.

Yes, Freddie and Michelle have been married since forever! A rare Hollywood romance that hasn't soured over the years. I had no idea about Freddie being Latino until you and blackcauldron85 informed me so thanks for that both of you!

I never even thought about Chris Hemsworth with the long blonde hair working well alongside Rapunzel in that regard. Great observation!

Yeah, I figured Patrick Warburton would be a bit of a specialized taste. Sorry I can't be much of a help with the narrator then. Do you want someone who is British and sounds intellectual and scholarly?

I'm glad you like Angela as the Granny! Had no idea Phylicia Rashad played the Witch ever. And I'm glad you like Raven as well. I'm a huge Raven fan so she sprang to mind first. That makes me wonder if you could use any other former Disney Channel Stars as stepsisters like Lindsay Lohan. Actually it would be funny if the stepsisters were the characters from Mean Girls like Rachel McAdams.

For Snow White, how about a young Jennifer Connelly? Demi Moore is probably too mature to play that role even in her youth. Also Jaime Alexander (from Blindspot and she also played Sif in the Thor films) or Nigella Lawson (the celebrity chef from the UK) both remind me of Snow White whenever I watch them on TV with their alabaster skin and dark hair. Winona Ryder or Shannen Doherty from the early 90s also have the Snow White look imo. I'm assuming Sleeping Beauty would be blonde or would you prefer her with brown hair?
ImageImage
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

You know Amy and JeanGreyForever, I think, since I am going my looks more than acting, I will pick Skai Jackson for Little Red, because she looks so pretty and the Wolf wants her for...well...um...yeah.

Haha, yes, Bette Davis can't turn down my role for her!

Joan Crawford is too powerful to be the kind of silly Stepmother in Into the Woods. She definitely would fit the serious Witch more.

I find Laura Dern very cold...at least from Marriage Story. I do like her, though... Ruth Wilson doesn't have the look I want. I will think about Laura.

Aw, Freddie and Michelle.

Yes, I see Rapunzel's Prince as having long hair like Rapunzel and also being more rugged and adventurous, while Cinderella's Prince is more fem to me. Cinderella's Prince has a "thing about blood" and likes dancing, lol.

I do want someone British and intellectual and scholarly for the Narrator...but UmbrellaFish suggested Dick Van Dyke for him and the Mysterious Man and I feel Dick would make a good, warm, fun Narrator!

It's so funny you suggested Mean Girls actresses for the stepsisters because I considered exactly that at one time!

Jaime Alexander looks very pretty and that's almost all I need for Snow White. If only I could have a softer, more innocent looking Snow White. Maybe...Jennnifer Goodwin? Because even though she already played a Snow White, it wasn't in Woods, and I picked ScarJo because she was Cinderella for the Disney Dream portraits. Sleeping Beauty can have blonde or brown hair, I just want it to be long.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Lol, poor Skai Jackson then but at least the Wolf doesn't last very long.

Yes, if you didn't already have so many amazing options for the Witch, I would say Joan Crawford could fit that role.

I've seen Laura Dern in lots of roles and she's a very multi-faceted actress. She's cold in Marriage Story because the character was supposed to be like that. In person and in other roles, she's quite warm so if your only issue is with her Marriage Story character then I think she'd work well because her other roles tend to be very different. I guess you'll also want an actress who can look good next to the Baker.

When you say that Cinderella's Prince has a "thing about blood" is that a reference to being interested in those with royal blood (doubtful though considering he likes Cinderella and the Baker's wife) or do you mean he's interested in actual blood as an allusion to the Wolf and the same actor being cast as both?

Dick Van Dyke is very charming so I think he's a great choice for the Narrator. Do you envision him with his regular voice or with the accent he used in Mary Poppins?

Great minds think alike then! :)

Jaime Alexander tends to play action roles like warrior women so I can see why you would want someone slightly softer looking. Jennifer Goodwin would have made a good choice as well besides the fact that she's already played the role. This image of Jaime reminds me a bit of Ginny though for some reason. Image

I'll have to think more about Sleeping Beauty then because I don't have a definitive look for her in my mind to wonder who could resemble her. Maybe one of the actresses in another role that we scrapped like a young Nicole Kidman. I remember somebody once said that Winona Ryder has the same facial structure as Disney's Aurora so maybe she could do it although she doesn't come to mind when I think of Aurora personally. I guess this isn't Disney's Aurora though. Vanessa Hudgens played her in the Disney Dreams portrait. Maybe Keira Knightley or Natalie Portman because I've always considered them both gorgeous and I think they'd make a good match next to Jaime Alexander as Snow White if you stick with her. BTW, there's also Katie Stevens from The Bold Type who could make a replacement Snow White perhaps.

Going back to Sleeping Beauty, you mentioned wanting someone with long hair and that made me think of Daisy Ridley in Ophelia (a movie which is also on Netflix now).
ImageImageImage

I'm really enjoying this casting thread btw!
ImageImage
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Thank you for saying all that about Dern, I will consider her.

Cinderella's Prince actually has an aversion to blood. It sickens him.

I imagine Dick Van Dyke talking in his normal voice.

I forgot, I can use the other Disney Dream portraits! But you know, I rather like Keira Knightly as Sleeping Beauty and Jennifer Goodwin as Snow White still. Keira Knightly was a really good idea! Actually, wait, I think Dasiey Ridley is a bit softer and I like that more.

I should check out Ophelia sometime.

I'm glad you like this thread!
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Oh ok, I had no idea about Cinderella's prince having an aversion to blood. I guess the Disney film didn't adapt that (unless I forgot it).

If you have Dick Van Dyke, any plans of adding Julie Andrews somewhere? I know you considered her for Granny.

I'm glad you like Keira Knightley, she reminds me of what a fairy tale Sleeping Beauty (the non-Disney one) would be like. Although it would be ironic since I think Sleeping Beauty was one of the fairy tales that Keira said she did not approve of. Actually thinking of Keira reminded me of Mackenize Foy, the lead actress for The Nutcracker and the Four Realms. She might have that soft look you're looking for as well.

For Daisy, does that mean you like her for Snow White or do you picture Sleeping Beauty as softer as well?

Yes, I think you'll like Ophelia if you enjoy costume dramas in general. I know you like costumes in general and I was quite fond of the costumes in the film although I'm more partial to the era than you are.
ImageImage
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

no, Disney's movie did not do anything with the Prince's aversion to blood.

UmbrellaFish will be sad, but I can't think of a place to put Julie Andrews now.

I was thinking of Daisy Ridly because I want a softer Sleeping Beauty, to look innocent and desirable. McKenzie Foy looks great but she's not who I picture.

I think I'll check out Ophelia tomorrow! I hope I like the costumes, too!
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Sleeping Beauty is sometimes portrayed as having long, red hair (like in Fables) so Daisy Ridley's look in Ophelia reminded her especially since you wanted the soft look. McKenzie Foy in my mind would portray a fairy tale accurate Snow White (who is younger than a teenager) or Little Red Riding Hood more than a grownup princess.

I know you prefer costumes from the 18th century but I hope you'll still be able to appreciate the ones in Ophelia.
ImageImage
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

True. I was gonna pick a young Ginnifer Goodwin, but I will consider McKenzie.

I will try to watch Ophelia tonight! I have grown to love many costumes throughout "once upon a time" times!
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

So to clarify that means for the role of Snow White, you have dismissed Jaime Alexander now and will be picking between a young Gennifer Goodwin or Mackenzie Foy? What's funny is that Mackenize Foy played the daughter of Kristen Stewart in Twilight and Kristen Stewart played Snow White herself so there's a legacy being passed on here.

I hope you enjoy Ophelia! Tell me what you thought of it.
ImageImage
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Yes, that is correct. Oh, yes I forgot Kristen played a Snow White, too!

No one has offered suggestions for the Steward!

My Netflix didn't have Ophelia! :( I guess it got removed?