DVDizzy.com

Home | Reviews | Schedule | Cover Art | Search The Site
DVDizzy.com Top Stories:

It is currently Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 12:56 pm 
Platinum Edition

So, I've been working on and off on a Disney research project for years and years now, and I've just registered a blog. I don't know anything about webpage making or blogs or anything, so I figured some of you surely do and I can ask away here!

1. I'm in grad school and know all about citing my sources, so for my text portions, I'm not so concerned about putting things into my own words and citing everything, but as far as pictures go, how do I do that? I mean, I would credit it, like All pictures are copyright Disney/Pixar, I don't own anything...?

How would I go about that. I mean, I would cite where I got them, but how would I go about the legalities of posting them so Disney doesn't hunt me down? :p

2. How do people get the word out there on their blog or website? There's nothing there yet, and it already said it would post it on search engines, but do you just link it to accounts and post on other blogs and stuff (not spamming about it, but when you post comments elsewhere, just link your blog URL to your profile?)?

I'm sure I'll have more questions later on, so thanks for any help! :)

And yes, it's a Disney blog, and no, it won't conflict with UD or anything.

Haha, I was trying to think for a week or so now how to go about it. Do I become anonymous on it, do I use a fake name (and I registered a couple blogs under fake names, but I didn't even like that). And my main reasoning was, well, one was so people don't find me on Facebook, haha, and the other was just in case I mess up legally somehow, I don't want Disney hunting me down. But there are other (so many other) sites that post concept art and whatnot that I couldn't be in trouble at all if they're not, if I properly cite stuff...

I'll put the link to it in my profile here if anyone is interested, but as of yet, there's nothing there except a little in the profile.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 1:32 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

Oooh, interesting. Which blog provider are you using. Anyway, to answer your questions:

1. It would depend, but I would simply put "Copyright [year] [rights holder]". Example:

<center>Image
In Tangled, Disney's take on the Rapunzel story, saucy bandit Flynn Rider is held hostage by a lost princess with magical hair.
Copyright 2010 The Walt Disney Company</center>

If you really wanted to cover your back, I suppose you could link to the film's respective pages on Amazon or Disney's official website. Unless it were a commercial endeavour, however, I really think you'll be okay with just leaving it at a simple copyright notice. Perhaps you could simply put a disclaimer that you're only doing the blog for fun?

2. I would probably say linking to your blog in your signature would be your best bet, and maybe starting an initial thread about your blog (or even just blogs in general if you didn't want to make it seem so much like a personal push). Also, I think there is a function where you can attach your blog account to Facebook, so that the posts you make in your blog automatically become Facebook notes.

Blog | Deviantart

Last edited by Wonderlicious on Sun May 20, 2012 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 1:37 pm 
Platinum Edition

Speedy reply, Wondy! Thanks! :)

I'll be using Blogspot/Blogger.

Ooh, and a disclaimer definitely sounds like it will help cover my back!

Oh, and another question: Probably not, but I don't have to ask permission to post links to other websites, right? What about posting pictures from other websites...
Let's say Andreas Deja posted a pic on his website: should I just link to it, or can I put it and just link back to him, or do I need to ask his permission (haha, yeah right)?

*edit*
I just put this at the bottom of the site:
"This blog is not affiliated with Disney or Pixar. It's a hobby site. All sources-publicly available." That's okay? I can't type any more characters!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 3:13 pm 
Limited Edition

Your blog sounds intriguing. :)

This person's blog http://www.disneyfilmproject.com/ is for his own reviews of the Disney films and shorts in chronological order. He uses a lot of screencaps and doesn't put "Copyright Disney" next to them as far as I can tell. Anyway, look around that guy's blog to inspire you with your blog.

On my blog, if I post a drawing or photo of something someone else made and posted on their site/blog, I'd link back underneath it to the specific page/blog entry it's found at the maker's site/blog. It's polite and helps give the person publicity. You may be approached by a person who doesn't like that you posted any of their drawings/photos even though you linked back to his/her site under them and he/she tells you to please take their work off your blog.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 3:29 pm 
Platinum Edition

^ neat find, thanks!

Yeah, I like your idea of linking back to the source for each picture. I don't know anything about html or if you need that for a blog, but I will find a way to link stuff! :) I appreciate your help! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:35 am 
Gold Collection

Hi guys, I thought I would bump this instead of creating a new topic...

Anyway, I'm thinking of creating a blog - mainly for tech stuff and movie stuff - and I just wondering what other people do for theirs. I'm thinking of using WordPress and either using them as a host or finding another host and my stumbling block is the theme part. I did three years of IT at university - with multimedia as my major - and I barely learned how to make a website, use Photoshop to any great extent or do anything even remotely worthy of a portfolio. So before I plunge into a state of complete melancholy and depression at my lack of usable skills, the direction my life is heading or anything that probably belongs here http://www.dvdizzy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=29085 I'm just wondering, do people mainly:

a) modify the default theme
b) install a free theme and change one or two things
c) buy a theme and change one or two things
d) create their own from a framework or from scratch
e) who cares, it's all about the writing and changing the world!!!

Thanks in advance for any replies, sorry to bring the mood down too with my bruised ego n all! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:55 pm 
Limited Edition

Blogger gives you plenty of templets to work with right out of the box. If you want a blog that looks and feels more like a website, then go with wordpress and download one of thousands of free templets out there. In any case, you shouldn't have to buy anything.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:42 pm 
Gold Collection

Thanks for that jpanimation, it sounds easier than spending an inordinate amount of time learning to make a theme, only to hate the idea of a blog by the time I finish.