Skip the Disney Movie Club exclusives in the future !!!

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Chernabog
Special Edition

Skip the Disney Movie Club exclusives in the future !!!

Post by Chernabog »

Yes I mean it !!!
Now I´m so angry so I can explode :x
AGAIN there is a release of a title that they stated would not appear in the stores.
This time it´s GARGOLYLES Season 2, Volume 2.

It is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO "fantastic" that they promise us things that they never keep.
I (and many, many more) paid A LOT for this 3 disc set earlier, due to that it was not going to be released in the ordinary stores.....and now it´s up for a general release anyhow.
Watch Amazon.com, where they sell it for 9.99

And that is not all: Also The Incredible Journey (1963), Ducktales the Movie: Treasure of the Lost Lamp, Goof Troop, Talespin, and so on.

All this is of course good news for those that didn´t buy them before, but for all of us that paid A LOT to get them before, this is another nail in the coffin in the trust for the Disney Company and the path it has taken for the last couple of years.

So folks, NEVER believe what they promise on this Exclusive line, soon they will appaear in the shops anyhow.
Disney Guru
Platinum Edition

Re: Skip the Disney Movie Club exclusives in the future !!!

Post by Disney Guru »

In Disney's Defense, those titles had been available for a while through the Exclusives line before they were brought to the mainstream. I guess they were good sellers and they decided to make them available to the mainstream markets. You're being a bit melodramatic.
"I have this tremendous energy. I just loved and love life. I love it today. I never want to die."
~Jayne Meadows Allen~
Chernabog
Special Edition

Post by Chernabog »

Disney Guru wrote:In Disney's Defense, those titles had been available for a while through the Exclusives line before they were brought to the mainstream. I guess they were good sellers and they decided to make them available to the mainstream markets. You're being a bit melodramatic.
I can´t see it as melodramatic. :P
If they say that it will not appear in the stores, then I am of course willing to pay more for it since I want it in my collection. But when they time and time again state that its not going to be available outside the club, and then let it be anyhow, should I not get angry?

Why should we spend so much money (in this case more than 30 dollars) for something that they a little later release on the mainstream market and take lesser than 10 dollars for?
Even if they found out that it was a good moneybringer, why should they cheat us? And why are they so eager to state thigs that they not intend to keep?

I´m angry, upset and sad and I stand for that.
But Disney obviously do NOT stand for what they say or promise.
I begin to be really fed up with that policy. :evil:
Disney Guru
Platinum Edition

Post by Disney Guru »

Chernabog wrote:
Disney Guru wrote:In Disney's Defense, those titles had been available for a while through the Exclusives line before they were brought to the mainstream. I guess they were good sellers and they decided to make them available to the mainstream markets. You're being a bit melodramatic.
I can´t see it as melodramatic. :P
If they say that it will not appear in the stores, then I am of course willing to pay more for it since I want it in my collection. But when they time and time again state that its not going to be available outside the club, and then let it be anyhow, should I not get angry?

Why should we spend so much money (in this case more than 30 dollars) for something that they a little later release on the mainstream market and take lesser than 10 dollars for?
Even if they found out that it was a good moneybringer, why should they cheat us? And why are they so eager to state thigs that they not intend to keep?

I´m angry, upset and sad and I stand for that.
But Disney obviously do NOT stand for what they say or promise.
I begin to be really fed up with that policy. :evil:
Take a chill pill.
"I have this tremendous energy. I just loved and love life. I love it today. I never want to die."
~Jayne Meadows Allen~
Chernabog
Special Edition

Post by Chernabog »

Ok, you have stated your opinion, I have stated mine.
chadhobbick
Gold Classic Collection

Post by chadhobbick »

Yeah it sucks that some of us paid full price for the exclusive dvd, and possibly blu-rays (who is to say if those will come to retail) but isn't it better for Disney to clear out the stock somewhat that way the sales for these season sets might lead to us finishing up Ducktales, Gargoyles, Rescue Rangers, Darkwing Duck, Gummi Bears, and who knows it might get us the rest of the Disney Afternoon shows and/or Little Mermaid and Aladdin animated series out. If they just held onto these exclusives it might take years/decades to get other things out. I paid full price for most of these items, and I hate it when these will now be $10 at WM, Amazon, or wherever else. I don't have buyers remorse about it. I would rather have it when it was just released instead of waiting months or a year for it.

I also understand why they are pricing it like they are. If they kept it priced like a new season set of a show parents might not touch it, why should I buy Gargoyles season 2 volume 2 for $30 when the other Gargoyles sets are $5/$10. I think it's smart of Disney to do this as it might lead to other releases we need.
I find you pompous, judgemental, and completely self-absorbed.........would you be my friend?
gamer51

Post by gamer51 »

Yes. I am MORE annoyed that they have not released the remainder of the Disney afternoon.

And, as with any other DVDs or Blu-Rays, you usually do pay more just as it is released and less years later...
Last edited by gamer51 on Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
milojthatch
Collector's Edition

Post by milojthatch »

I need to step in here and clear a few things up. This by the way is info I've received from my former Disney Home Entertainment contact sometime ago, so a lot of it is insider info. Anyway, good or bad DEH gave up on the Disney Afternoon originally on DVD after the mid to late 2000's titles didn't meet their expectations. It was after fan demand that they were willing to give it another chance in the form of the Disney Movie Club Exclusives. You need to understand what the DMC Exclusives are for. They are for titles that for whatever reason the powers that be feel would not meet expectations in a traditional retail environment, but that they feel could still make some money in a limited fashion.

So, TaleSpin and Gargoyles and Goof Troop were given a chance as DMC titles and something unexpected happened: they sold very well. In fact they sold so well and due to all the consumer demand suddenly, they decided to give it another chance on the retail market. That's right, if all those $20 sets with the unattractive DMC covers of TaleSpin: Volume 3 had not sold as well as it has, the $10 release of TaleSpin: Volume 3 with the cover that matches the original two releases would not be sitting on a shelf in various Target Stores around the country this week. The fact that we have seen this reversal, especially from Disney is nothing short of miraculous!

I understand that there are some fans who are mad. I understand that maybe there is some shortsightedness on both sides between the fans and Disney, but this is what it is. So you spent $10 more than you would have had you waited for this week. And how much longer have you had it as a result to enjoy? I know fans want the rest of what is not yet released like Bonkers or Aladdin: The Series or the end of DuckTales or Rescue Rangers. Guess what, so do I. I also however understand the realities of what it will take to make that happen and it comes down to this: these new retail releases of previous DMC titles needs to sell very, very well. It's that simple. As the age of DVD and physical media is closing, the luxury of fancy covers and killer extras is dead. At this points it's a matter of getting what we can get while the getting is good and saying "Thank you" for it.

So, maybe instead of complaining we should appreciate it for what it is: a second chance that most unreleased TV shows on DVD will never get. Buy copies for yourself, buy them as gifts and spread the word that they are out to other fans. THAT is how we'll get DuckTales: Volume 4 or Rescue Rangers: Volume 3. Please help me make this happen, we are too close to and have come to far to give up now, thanks.
All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.

-Walt Disney
mitch_evers

Post by mitch_evers »

I am in wholehearted agreement with milojthatch on this one. I live in the UK so the opportunity to purchase from the Disney Movie Club is not open to me. Not that this stops me importing these titles through third party sellers at sometimes inflated prices. I don't gripe about this as I realise that this is the only way I will get to own them. In a perfect world the most obscure 1950s Disney TV episodes would be available in the mainstream and would be sitting on my shelf. This will never happen. Occasionally Disney do release a leftfield title with minority appeal and I jump at the chance of owing it. The more exposure these movies or TV episodes get the better, as it means the likelihood of more niche appeal titles being released increases. A boycott of Disney Movie Club will not make them stop releasing its titles to retail markets nor will it make them bypass the club and release them straight to retail. Rather it will send Disney the message that obscurer titles are not popular sellers and not viable for release in any format. Then we really will have something to complain about.
See ya real soon!
JustOneBite87
Gold Classic Collection

Post by JustOneBite87 »

Apologies for resurrecting this thread after over a month of inactivity, but I recently purchased the newest wave of Disney Afternoon DVDs and am counting my lucky stars to finally, after a NINE YEAR WAIT, have the the last volume of (canonical) Gargoyles on DVD. Everything milojthatch said hit the nail right on the head. My only worry is that by now most of those who really championed these releases have already purchased them online through the Disney store or Ebay.

If you care at all about seeing more Disney Afternoon on physical disc format then I can't stress enough how important it is that you buy at least one copy of each!