New DMC Exclusives- The Weekenders Volumes and 2

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Darby
Gold Classic Collection

New DMC Exclusives- The Weekenders Volumes and 2

Post by Darby »

I just got my monthly mailer from DMC today and the newest DMC Exclusives are:

The Weekenders Volume 1 (2-disc set)

The Weekenders Volume 2 (2-disc set)

They will available for pre-order with a release date of 3/5/13.

I never saw the cartoon before, but I'm happy for fans of the show to finally have it on DVD.

I just wish they would release The Prince and the Pauper with Sean Scully and Guy Williams as a DMC Exclusive sometime soon....

Darby
disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Post by disneyboy20022 »

I had a friend on Runescape who loved that show. I'm not sure whatever happened to him but he was a good person.

I watched a few times on Disney Channel in the afternoon. It was a good show and I'm extremely excited it's coming to DVD in some form
Want to Hear How I met Roy E. Disney in 2003? Click the link Below

http://fromscreentotheme.com/ThursdayTr ... isney.aspx
milojthatch
Collector's Edition

Post by milojthatch »

We have the full report below with cover art. The Weekenders just became the first Disney tv cartoon to get a full release on DVD.

http://openvaultdisney.com/2013/02/04/n ... s-hit-dvd/
All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.

-Walt Disney
Chernabog
Special Edition

Post by Chernabog »

For me (personally) very disappointing news - why can´t they stick to the few movies (TV-shows) that are requested all the time and have never seen a DVD-release
Or finish off the already started TV-series (like Gargoyles), before giving us this. :x
Are the "True Life Adventures"-series which started with the last release, now going back into obscurity, or will they release the rest too...? :roll:
In that case, another half done project by Disney!

Come on Disney, give us more exclusives more often or at least listen to what we requests...
Darby
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Darby »

Chernabog wrote:For me (personally) very disappointing news - why can´t they stick to the few movies (TV-shows) that are requested all the time and have never seen a DVD-release
Or finish off the already started TV-series (like Gargoyles), before giving us this. :x
Are the "True Life Adventures"-series which started with the last release, now going back into obscurity, or will they release the rest too...? :roll:
In that case, another half done project by Disney!

Come on Disney, give us more exclusives more often or at least listen to what we requests...
I completely agree with you, Chernabog. While I'm happy for fans of The Weekenders to have the complete show released, I would rather DMC focus on older live-action material that has never been released on DVD such as The Prince and the Pauper and on series that they started but never completed.

Darby
justcuttinhair
Gold Classic Collection

vintage titles

Post by justcuttinhair »

im just going to put it out there..and if anyone doesn't agree...oh well. the amount of people who campaign for the "disney afternoon" titles are a large number, and they consistently have campaigns where they request that disney release these titles. i have tried for several years to endorse and encourage some sort of interests among fans, to petition disney to release many of the vault titles( especially the Wonderful World of Colors films, and the few theatrical releases that are unreleased). i have attempted to write articles about the various walt-era productions, in the hopes of attracting interest, but, there just seems to be very little or no interest from people. compared to the large voice that campaigns for the afternoon, and saturday morning cartoons, i seriously doubt that there is much effort being shown towards the live action, vault releases. first off, there seems to be very little interest, and in the minds of disney, they are not willing to spend money producing a product that will not yield enough sales to merit production. i normally would not encourage what i am about to type, but, for the fans of the classic walt-era titles, i suggest you find a reputable bootlegger, because, the truth is, i doubt we will see these titles ever released. i believe that it has been stated on this board before, that the company now is divided into many different subsidiaries and the movie club has to basically buy the rights to produce the titles that are released. a title like "prince and the pauper" or "the horsemasters" fail to capture the amount of hype that "gargoyles" or "the gummi bears" do. therefore, they find it more beneficial to make a return profit on something that has a overwhelming amount of interest. sorry, but, that is just the truth of it. another thing that could be to blame, is how well preserved many of these films are. the movie club releases are a mixed bag, as were the generations releases. several of them look outright horrible.
Darby
Gold Classic Collection

Re: vintage titles

Post by Darby »

justcuttinhair wrote:im just going to put it out there..and if anyone doesn't agree...oh well. the amount of people who campaign for the "disney afternoon" titles are a large number, and they consistently have campaigns where they request that disney release these titles. i have tried for several years to endorse and encourage some sort of interests among fans, to petition disney to release many of the vault titles( especially the Wonderful World of Colors films, and the few theatrical releases that are unreleased). i have attempted to write articles about the various walt-era productions, in the hopes of attracting interest, but, there just seems to be very little or no interest from people. compared to the large voice that campaigns for the afternoon, and saturday morning cartoons, i seriously doubt that there is much effort being shown towards the live action, vault releases. first off, there seems to be very little interest, and in the minds of disney, they are not willing to spend money producing a product that will not yield enough sales to merit production. i normally would not encourage what i am about to type, but, for the fans of the classic walt-era titles, i suggest you find a reputable bootlegger, because, the truth is, i doubt we will see these titles ever released. i believe that it has been stated on this board before, that the company now is divided into many different subsidiaries and the movie club has to basically buy the rights to produce the titles that are released. a title like "prince and the pauper" or "the horsemasters" fail to capture the amount of hype that "gargoyles" or "the gummi bears" do. therefore, they find it more beneficial to make a return profit on something that has a overwhelming amount of interest. sorry, but, that is just the truth of it. another thing that could be to blame, is how well preserved many of these films are. the movie club releases are a mixed bag, as were the generations releases. several of them look outright horrible.
justcuttinhair:

I understand completely where you're coming from and I agree with you. The Disney Afternoon "lobby" may very well be larger than the Older Live-Action "lobby", but they are certainly more vocal. I deeply appreciate the efforts of folks like you and milojthatch to rally the troops and get the DMC to release more material. At this point, I am just happy that the Exclusives line is still alive and kicking in the current environment of MOD and streaming programs.

I joined the the DMC solely for the Exclusives and I am grateful that over the years they have released some excellent older live-action titles like Robin Hood and His Merrie Men, The Sword and the Rose, and The Fighting Prince of Donegal. And I understand full well that, like all businesses, economics is the driving factor. It's just that in reviewing the history of the Exclusive releases, there are some admittedly rather interesting choices. For example, were fans really beating the war drums for DMC to release Dad, Can I Borrow the Car, Double Switch, The Hunter and the Rock Star, or Jumping Ship? I may be wrong, but I can't imagine the "lobby" for those titles was really that much larger or more vocal than the ones asking for The Prince and the Pauper or The Horsemasters. The fact is they have released some fantastic older live-action material in the past, so why can't those types of titles be mixed in with releases like The Weekenders Volumes 1 and 2?

Consider that the 39,500 copies of the Walt Disney Treasures release of Dr. Syn: The Scarecrow of Romney Marsh sold out within 3 weeks of its release on November 11, 2008 and it currently sells for nearly $400 a copy on Amazon by secondary market sellers. Disney clearly underestimated the demand for that title. Given the continuing demand for this title, why hasn't Disney considered a barebones retail release of theatrical film version or considered releasing the theatrical film version of it as a DMC Exclusive? I'd bet the farm that it would sell better than Superdad.

The bottom line is we're in agreement and I do think us advocates of the older stuff need to get off our butts, seek each other out, and get vocal!

Darby