Most Desired Vinatge Disney Titles not yet released!

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Disney Guru
Platinum Edition

Post by Disney Guru »

milojthatch wrote:
msh1975 wrote:tiger town was never released on dvd. it was suppose to back on september 7th, 2004 but disney cancelled its release, just like dr.syn alias the scarecrow was to be released on august 3rd, 2004 but that got cancelled as well and got released on november 11, 2008 as a treasure release. if you look at the amazon posting very closely you will see it was never released. yes granted the cover art is up and all but if you call amazon up they will also tell you that disney never released tiger town to dvd ever!!! walt disney company even said the same thing as well.
Really? Do you know what happen? Being honest, I had never even heard of the title before you mentioned it, so I'm of course up to learning about new titles I didn't know about. It's kind of become my job. :D

It's on my list by the way and I will be sharing it with those who need to have it shared with.

merlinjones wrote:You might also suggest they package the Ludwig animated TV episodes, Ranger shows, Swamp Fox, MMC serials, etc. in box sets or at least multi-episode discs (maybe we could get more at a time that way).
From what I hear (and I think it is ok to say this), multi-disc sets have been talked about for the MOD program. No idea if they will actually do it or not. And of course they have done that already with the DMC. My hope is that they stick with that idea as I think it makes sense. I'll pass it along to those who need to know.
Tiger Town was a beautiful heartbreaking MFTV film I used to have it on VHS years ago. I for one when it had been first announced instantly pre-ordered it and was gravely dissapointed when the release was cancelled. Hopefully someday it will actually get a dvd release.
"I have this tremendous energy. I just loved and love life. I love it today. I never want to die."
~Jayne Meadows Allen~
milojthatch
Collector's Edition

Post by milojthatch »

disneyfella wrote:All of the amazon "Disney On Demand" Generations Collection titles are taken from VHS masters. There are many titles that people are asking for that were NEVER released on VHS, Laserdisc, or DVD in any country and most likely Disney will not be releasing them through this line. Therefore, I humbly suggest the following titles which have had VHS or DVD releases somewhere at sometime, and so a master is already at Disney and easy for pressing these "on-demand" discs.
It's my understanding that there are films in the "Generations Collection" that were not originally on VHS. "Fuzzbucket" and "Student Exchange" being the titles in question. My research thus far has not produced a VHS release for either of these titles. If I'm mistaken, please, let me know. However, so far as I know, this is the case which would indicate that the MOD titles could possibly include titles that were not on VHS originally.

On get on this list fist thing after the new year. I really feel once again that 2012 is going to be a good year for all of us. :D

UmbrellaFish wrote:I must reiterate, Gargoyles: The Complete Second Season, Vol. 2 (I feel like Jonny Modlin)!

I appreciate you coming to us to compile the list, Mr. Thatch. :)
Jonny is a good guy, he just sometimes gets overly excited. However, one thing I have to give him credit for is that he's keep the discussion alive on the net this whole time, even longer then Open Vault Disney has for this specific title. Part of me wants to see it released finally just to make his day. From what I can tell, I think he's enthusiasm is starting to have an effect, but we all need to stay on top of it with letters and e-mails. After all, it ain't over till it's over, to quote a wise man.
All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.

-Walt Disney
DexterRiley

Post by DexterRiley »

Someone mentioned "Victory Through Air Power". That is on the Disney On the Front Lines Treasure set. (http://www.amazon.com/Walt-Disney-Treas ... B0000BWVAH)

Also, One of Our Dinosaurs is Missing is available in the UK on DVD. (http://www.amazon.co.uk/One-Our-Dinosau ... 831&sr=8-1) I have a Phillips DVD player and it plays the disc just fine. If only the movie were worth watching. Peter Ustinov as a Chinese man is second only to Mickey Rooney as a Japanese man on the offense-o-meter.
milojthatch
Collector's Edition

Post by milojthatch »

DexterRiley wrote:Someone mentioned "Victory Through Air Power". That is on the Disney On the Front Lines Treasure set. (http://www.amazon.com/Walt-Disney-Treas ... B0000BWVAH)
I think what the request was was for a movie only release for the film. I personally have the Disney Treasures set and am fine with that, but some would like to see it re-released. I'm not sure if it will or not, but it doesn't hurt to pass it along and see. I think it would be great to see it get re-released by itself.

DexterRiley wrote: Also, One of Our Dinosaurs is Missing is available in the UK on DVD. (http://www.amazon.co.uk/One-Our-Dinosau ... 831&sr=8-1) I have a Phillips DVD player and it plays the disc just fine. If only the movie were worth watching. Peter Ustinov as a Chinese man is second only to Mickey Rooney as a Japanese man on the offense-o-meter.
This is an issue I've ran into many time in my life and especially since running OVD, so permit me to address it for a moment here. My belief is that it is better to let it be released and let each individual decide for themselves.

I realize that there are some titles not released becuase someone finds them offensive. The problem however is all the films that people find offensive that have been released over and over again. Don't those people matter? Or does the group who's films they find offensive and are not released feeling's matter more then the other? There are a great many religious and parents groups that have found various films offensive over the years, yet those same films get released without a second thought. Don't their feelings matter? Why should their feelings matter any less then someone else's? If we really had a straight up and down rule about not releasing "offensive" movies, the various DVD and Blu-Ray stores would be very empty.

If Disney or whatever studio wishes to put a message in front of a film like this or "Song of the South" explaining how we don't make films with such things in them anymore, that's fine and not unreasonable. But deciding what the general public will and will not find offensive is itself offensive. Better to release the films, slap a warning sticker on it and let each individual member of the public decide for themselves. Otherwise, it comes off as a bit hypocritical to release some "offensive" films but not others as well as a being a big slap in the face to the hard working men and women who created these films. Plus, these films are our past, and the folks who try to bury things like that are the most likely to repeat it. Not releasing films like "Song of the South" or "One of Our Dinosaurs is Missing" doesn't show future generations how to do the right thing, but rather it shows them how to play politics, which at the end of the day is all this is really about. And that is truly disheartening that that is the message really being sent here.

So, as you can see, how can we not support and lobby for these film's releases? I realize they may be a bit of a long shot due to feelings of those in power, but that should never be justification for giving up. To do otherwise would be inconstant with our message.
All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.

-Walt Disney
disneyfella
Anniversary Edition

Post by disneyfella »

milojthatch wrote:
disneyfella wrote:All of the amazon "Disney On Demand" Generations Collection titles are taken from VHS masters. There are many titles that people are asking for that were NEVER released on VHS, Laserdisc, or DVD in any country and most likely Disney will not be releasing them through this line. Therefore, I humbly suggest the following titles which have had VHS or DVD releases somewhere at sometime, and so a master is already at Disney and easy for pressing these "on-demand" discs.
It's my understanding that there are films in the "Generations Collection" that were not originally on VHS. "Fuzzbucket" and "Student Exchange" being the titles in question. My research thus far has not produced a VHS release for either of these titles. If I'm mistaken, please, let me know. However, so far as I know, this is the case which would indicate that the MOD titles could possibly include titles that were not on VHS originally.

On get on this list fist thing after the new year. I really feel once again that 2012 is going to be a good year for all of us. :D
Actually, "Student Exchange" was has been available on PAL VHS in Europe for over 20 years and the Generations Collection DVD copied the coverart and back cover exactly.

Also, "Fuzzbucket" was released as a double feature PAL VHS in Australia, also over 20 years ago (it is a bit more rare and was coupled with the only VHS release of "Mr Boogedy").

Again, it seems that the Generations Collection is only using already created VHS masters from the 1980s as their source, and as such we should pick films that would be best presented from a VHS master.....the 1960s television films were edited when released on VHS in the 1980s, and therefore I propose that we push the DMC to issue them as exclusive DVDs with their original version intact (including Walt intro)...a la "Atta Girl Kelly".
"It's Kind Of Fun To Do The Impossible"
- Walt Disney

DexterRiley

Post by DexterRiley »

milojthatch wrote:
DexterRiley wrote:Someone mentioned "Victory Through Air Power". That is on the Disney On the Front Lines Treasure set. (http://www.amazon.com/Walt-Disney-Treas ... B0000BWVAH)
I think what the request was was for a movie only release for the film. I personally have the Disney Treasures set and am fine with that, but some would like to see it re-released. I'm not sure if it will or not, but it doesn't hurt to pass it along and see. I think it would be great to see it get re-released by itself.

DexterRiley wrote: Also, One of Our Dinosaurs is Missing is available in the UK on DVD. (http://www.amazon.co.uk/One-Our-Dinosau ... 831&sr=8-1) I have a Phillips DVD player and it plays the disc just fine. If only the movie were worth watching. Peter Ustinov as a Chinese man is second only to Mickey Rooney as a Japanese man on the offense-o-meter.
This is an issue I've ran into many time in my life and especially since running OVD, so permit me to address it for a moment here. My belief is that it is better to let it be released and let each individual decide for themselves.

I realize that there are some titles not released becuase someone finds them offensive. The problem however is all the films that people find offensive that have been released over and over again. Don't those people matter? Or does the group who's films they find offensive and are not released feeling's matter more then the other? There are a great many religious and parents groups that have found various films offensive over the years, yet those same films get released without a second thought. Don't their feelings matter? Why should their feelings matter any less then someone else's? If we really had a straight up and down rule about not releasing "offensive" movies, the various DVD and Blu-Ray stores would be very empty.

If Disney or whatever studio wishes to put a message in front of a film like this or "Song of the South" explaining how we don't make films with such things in them anymore, that's fine and not unreasonable. But deciding what the general public will and will not find offensive is itself offensive. Better to release the films, slap a warning sticker on it and let each individual member of the public decide for themselves. Otherwise, it comes off as a bit hypocritical to release some "offensive" films but not others as well as a being a big slap in the face to the hard working men and women who created these films. Plus, these films are our past, and the folks who try to bury things like that are the most likely to repeat it. Not releasing films like "Song of the South" or "One of Our Dinosaurs is Missing" doesn't show future generations how to do the right thing, but rather it shows them how to play politics, which at the end of the day is all this is really about. And that is truly disheartening that that is the message really being sent here.

So, as you can see, how can we not support and lobby for these film's releases? I realize they may be a bit of a long shot due to feelings of those in power, but that should never be justification for giving up. To do otherwise would be inconstant with our message.
You know, I never even thought about that being a possible reason why "One of Our Dinosaurs is Missing" HASN'T been released in the States. I guess it's possible. But if films like "Gone with the Wind" and "Breakfast at Tiffany's" can be "classics" with their offensive content, it seems overly cautious for Disney to self-censor. I don't think Ustinov's horrible performance demeans anyone but himself. I'm with you, I think it should all be released. In the case of "Song of the South", I think it's a question of throwing out the baby with the bath water. Great lead performances by African American actors at a time when they weren't given more than bit or background parts in mainstream films. And the title character is the moral compass of the entire film. It's the white folk who are screwed up.
gardener14
Special Edition

Post by gardener14 »

One of Our Dinosaurs Is Missing is available for streaming/rental on Amazon.com. This tells me that Disney is willing to make it available in the US, and that any concerns about offending anyone are not the sole reason for it's unavailability on dvd. It probably has more to do with it's saleability. The fact that it's available for fiewing on Amazon gives me hope that it will make it to dvd someday.
milojthatch
Collector's Edition

Post by milojthatch »

DexterRiley wrote:
I'm with you, I think it should all be released. In the case of "Song of the South", I think it's a question of throwing out the baby with the bath water. Great lead performances by African American actors at a time when they weren't given more than bit or background parts in mainstream films. And the title character is the moral compass of the entire film. It's the white folk who are screwed up.
Thanks. I try to keep things even remotely connected to Open Vault Disney out of things like religion and politics, but this one issue is hard to avoid. You would be right, the black guy is the most moral character in the whole film!

disneyfella wrote:
Actually, "Student Exchange" was has been available on PAL VHS in Europe for over 20 years and the Generations Collection DVD copied the coverart and back cover exactly.

Also, "Fuzzbucket" was released as a double feature PAL VHS in Australia, also over 20 years ago (it is a bit more rare and was coupled with the only VHS release of "Mr Boogedy").

Again, it seems that the Generations Collection is only using already created VHS masters from the 1980s as their source, and as such we should pick films that would be best presented from a VHS master.....the 1960s television films were edited when released on VHS in the 1980s, and therefore I propose that we push the DMC to issue them as exclusive DVDs with their original version intact (including Walt intro)...a la "Atta Girl Kelly".
Good to know, I was not aware of any of that. I try to keep up with what has been released outside of the US, but that can be hard, so thanks. That said, I still would not worry yet about titles never released to VHS not being released via the MOD titles. I know of one title for sure (that will remain unrevealed for now as I probably should not even say this much) that definitely was never released on VHS that almost did and might still get a "Generations Collection" release.

gardener14 wrote:One of Our Dinosaurs Is Missing is available for streaming/rental on Amazon.com. This tells me that Disney is willing to make it available in the US, and that any concerns about offending anyone are not the sole reason for it's unavailability on dvd. It probably has more to do with it's saleability. The fact that it's available for fiewing on Amazon gives me hope that it will make it to dvd someday.
You would be right. It has great potential as a DMC or MOD release.

We have our new Top 25 Countdown up, check it out!

http://openvaultdisney.wordpress.com/20 ... uary-2012/

-Walt Disney
merlinjones
Anniversary Edition

Post by merlinjones »

Well, I'm glad Von Drake is on the Open Vault Disney list anyway! It's the only one on that Top 25 list I would get (and possibly get for friends as well).

Here's an idea for a future feature -- why not a separate Top 25 list of ''Classic Walt Disney Era'' shows (apart from the later TV productions which are more in-demand among younger online users - - that way these have a chance at generating some heat and give some sense of which older titles have the most interest for the rest of us film buffs, boomers and Walties).
taurusaud

Post by taurusaud »

Could you please get the New Adventures of Davy Crockett (Rainbow in the Thunder) released? It's a Disney movie that aired in 1988 starring Tim Dunigan, I've scoured the interned in search for it but turned up nothing. Would love to see it again!
milojthatch
Collector's Edition

Post by milojthatch »

merlinjones wrote:Well, I'm glad Von Drake is on the Open Vault Disney list anyway! It's the only one on that Top 25 list I would get (and possibly get for friends as well).

Here's an idea for a future feature -- why not a separate Top 25 list of ''Classic Walt Disney Era'' shows (apart from the later TV productions which are more in-demand among younger online users - - that way these have a chance at generating some heat and give some sense of which older titles have the most interest for the rest of us film buffs, boomers and Walties).
I have a feeling other "Walt-era" titles will make it next time judging by new polls. Either way, it is an idea I'll think about. The issue I run into is that outside of this DMC forum on a site that isn't even mine, I have not been able to attack much interest from Baby Boomers. Most things I've tried have failed thus far, including getting a mention on "Stu's Show." I look at the demographics for the official OVD sites, and the strong majority is 20 and 30 somethings.

But having a second list may be a good idea, I will think about it. Let's see how the new poll goes.

taurusaud wrote:Could you please get the New Adventures of Davy Crockett (Rainbow in the Thunder) released? It's a Disney movie that aired in 1988 starring Tim Dunigan, I've scoured the interned in search for it but turned up nothing. Would love to see it again!
We've posted about that one and I've even mentioned it to my contact. Sadly, I've never gotten an answer either way. But, I would love to see the late 80's Crockett films and hope to make another run soon for them.

-Walt Disney
merlinjones
Anniversary Edition

Post by merlinjones »

Milo -- Do you keep the running master list of everybody's requested titles on the site for people to pick from? I couldn't find it.

Thanks again for your efforts!
milojthatch
Collector's Edition

Post by milojthatch »

merlinjones wrote:Milo -- Do you keep the running master list of everybody's requested titles on the site for people to pick from? I couldn't find it.

Thanks again for your efforts!
The closet thing to that is on Facebook in the weekly polls where I post the top 40 requested titles for people to vote on. I'm not sure if you have to have a Facebook account to vote on them or not becuase FB has been making changes to the point that FB Pages can be used by non-FB users. But I am very interested in time changing that poll to the site and not running it on Facebook in time.

The master list as it were is safe on my computer. I've thought about posting it on my site, but don't want to just slap a long list somewhere. If I do it, I want it to seem interesting. Most likely if I do share the master list, it wouldn't be ranked but rather be in groups based on year and film/ tv shows, animated/ live-action.

-Walt Disney
disneyfella
Anniversary Edition

Post by disneyfella »

milojthatch wrote:
taurusaud wrote:Could you please get the New Adventures of Davy Crockett (Rainbow in the Thunder) released? It's a Disney movie that aired in 1988 starring Tim Dunigan, I've scoured the interned in search for it but turned up nothing. Would love to see it again!
We've posted about that one and I've even mentioned it to my contact. Sadly, I've never gotten an answer either way. But, I would love to see the late 80's Crockett films and hope to make another run soon for them.
I have all those Cricket films (Incidentally "Rainbow in the Thunder" is available in PAL VHS format from the UK). They are pretty fun TV movies, though cannot compare to the Fess Parker films (I'm not sure it's appropriate to try to compare them, as they are two different interpretations).

Anyway, if they are looking to produce bonus features, I know Tim Dunigan would love to recount his times playing Davy Crocket. He left Hollywood and became a Real Estate Agent in Northern California. He has very fond memories of working on the films and speaks very highly of his fellow actors in the pictures.

Those are the kinds of programs that the "Generations Collection" should promote, and leave the Walt era stuff to the DMC who can afford to restore and present them appropriately (even if only on occasion).
"It's Kind Of Fun To Do The Impossible"
- Walt Disney

milojthatch
Collector's Edition

Post by milojthatch »

Our review for "The Waltz King" is up:

http://openvaultdisney.wordpress.com/20 ... ng-review/

disneyfella wrote: Anyway, if they are looking to produce bonus features, I know Tim Dunigan would love to recount his times playing Davy Crocket. He left Hollywood and became a Real Estate Agent in Northern California. He has very fond memories of working on the films and speaks very highly of his fellow actors in the pictures.
Do you know or have you met Mr. Dunigan then?

-Walt Disney
milojthatch
Collector's Edition

Post by milojthatch »

Thanks to our new contributing writing, we have a new review set for the DMC release of "Emil and the Detectives." Check it out!

http://openvaultdisney.wordpress.com/20 ... es-review/

-Walt Disney
Chernabog
Special Edition

Post by Chernabog »

Just for everyones information:
The Light In The Forest released on Disney Educational is NOT the complete version.
It has not the song and the intro, instead it goes directly into the spoken words of Fess Parker.
A shame!
So we really need this film to have a real release through DMC or DVD on Demand.
Darby
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Darby »

Chernabog wrote:Just for everyones information:
The Light In The Forest released on Disney Educational is NOT the complete version.
It has not the song and the intro, instead it goes directly into the spoken words of Fess Parker.
A shame!
So we really need this film to have a real release through DMC or DVD on Demand.
Concerned that they may never release the title as a DMC Exclusive, I finally caved in and bought the classroom edition when Disney Educational Productions had their 50% off sale at the end of 2011 and, indeed, the song and the intro are missing (I had to get the VHS release out of the library to confirm this). So, I strongly second Chernabog's call for a release of the full version of The Light in the Forest!

Darby
milojthatch
Collector's Edition

Post by milojthatch »

Darby wrote:
Chernabog wrote:Just for everyones information:
A shame!
Concerned that they may never release the title as a DMC Exclusive, I finally caved in and bought the classroom edition when Disney Educational Productions had their 50% off sale at the end of 2011 and, indeed, the song and the intro are missing (I had to get the VHS release out of the library to confirm this). So, I strongly second Chernabog's call for a release of the full version of The Light in the Forest!

Darby
I had the thought that it may end up like "Justin Morgan" and be a future MOD title. I truly hope not. I own the Ed DVD and would love to own the full version. While I have nothing against MOD releases and actually feel they can be good things, I do feel certain titles need to be on pressed discs. "The Light in the Forest" is one such title.

-Walt Disney
Darby
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Darby »

milojthatch wrote:I had the thought that it may end up like "Justin Morgan" and be a future MOD title. I truly hope not. I own the Ed DVD and would love to own the full version. While I have nothing against MOD releases and actually feel they can be good things, I do feel certain titles need to be on pressed discs. "The Light in the Forest" is one such title.
Amen to that! A pressed disc of the complete "The Light in the Forest" would be terrfific! As would a pressed disc of "The Prince and the Pauper"!

Darby