New Exclusives: So Dear to My Heart, Monkey's Uncle, Moon

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Matt
Anniversary Edition

Post by Matt »

I might just join to get all the exclusive stuff, but don't they release the movies to the public after a while? I really want "So Dear To My Heart" :)
blackcauldron85
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by blackcauldron85 »

Do you think that Disney would later release these publically with more bonus features? I'd hate to spend my money now and later they'd have nice bonus features on them when they make retail versions...
chadhobbick
Gold Classic Collection

Post by chadhobbick »

I think that Disney is looking to see how well these releases sell through the club to see if there is a market for a retail release. I don't know that this is their plan for sure, but it was mentioned in another thread that two DMC-exclusives are slatted to be realeased this fall. Either they sold real well on the website, or they sold poorly and are using that as a means to clear out the stock. Even if the Monkey's Uncle is a barebones release I don't care as I love this movie and have wanted it on dvd ever since the Misadventures of Merlin Jones came out, what 4 or 5 years ago?
I find you pompous, judgemental, and completely self-absorbed.........would you be my friend?
TheSequelOfDisney
Signature Collection

Post by TheSequelOfDisney »

I would love to get So Dear To My Heart seeing as then I could get rid of my old VHS copy that I have. I haven't watched it in awhile, but I remember that I always liked that little black lamb!

Hopefully this will be released to regular stores as I will probably not join the Club. Best wishes!
The Divulgations of One Desmond Leica: http://desmondleica.wordpress.com/
buffalobill
Anniversary Edition

Post by buffalobill »

There are a lot of older Disney titles I'd like to see but I'll wait for them to eventually become DMC exclusives to join. Right now I am only interested in the codes from each of the dvds (which aren't available to the general public). If anyone is a current DMC member & will be buying any exclusive dvds that doesn't do DMR I would be happy to paypal them for the codes when they get them. If you are interested in bringing down the cost of your dvds by selling your codes please drop me a pm.
15 gallon 7 pint blood donor as of 1-4-11. Done donating. Apparently having Cancer makes you kind of ineligible to donate.
mdnitoil

Post by mdnitoil »

Bleh, looks like just So Dear To My Heart for me. Just got the flyer in the mail and all 3 are listed as full screen. Obviously not a problem for So Dear, but I'm not buying the other two with their sides chopped off. :evil:
Matt
Anniversary Edition

Post by Matt »

mdnitoil wrote:Bleh, looks like just So Dear To My Heart for me. Just got the flyer in the mail and all 3 are listed as full screen. Obviously not a problem for So Dear, but I'm not buying the other two with their sides chopped off. :evil:
aww the other 2 are fullscreen and suppose to be widescreen? that stinks!

anyone got them yet? dying to find out what they look like :)
gardener14
Special Edition

Post by gardener14 »

I've seen both The Monkey's Uncle and Moon Pilot on vhs/fullscreen, and I didn't find the aspect ration of either one to be a drawback. I don't know what the OAR is for either film, but if you are interested in the films, I say buy the dvd's because they are unlikely to be available in any other form in the foreseeable future. I'm all for idealism and principles in many cases, but in this case it doesn't seem to be worth the fight for these rare movies.
PeterPanfan
Diamond Edition

Post by PeterPanfan »

Wow, this is amazing news!!! :D

I might join the club..but I'll probably just wait until it's released to the public markett. :cry:
Mouseketodd
Gold Classic Collection

So Dear To My Heart DVD extras

Post by Mouseketodd »

The UD live action list has long described there being extras included on a future So Dear to My Heart DVD.

Whoever purchases and has received SDTMH -- even Monkey's Uncle and Moon Pilot -- please let me know if any extras show up on these discs. Thanks!
Poppins#1
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Poppins#1 »

Of the new exclusive titles, I only ordered "So Dear to My Heart" as it was the only one available in it's original aspect ratio. After I receive it and check it out, I will check back with a mini-review and screencaps.

---Mark Probst
mdnitoil

Post by mdnitoil »

Poppins#1 wrote:Of the new exclusive titles, I only ordered "So Dear to My Heart" as it was the only one available in it's original aspect ratio. After I receive it and check it out, I will check back with a mini-review and screencaps.

---Mark Probst
Its the only one I ordered too. Should be showing up any day now. I won't be providing screencaps, however. :P
merlinjones
Anniversary Edition

Post by merlinjones »

>>It was the only one available in it's original aspect ratio<<

Not necessarily. Both Monkey's Uncle and Moon-Pilot were shot full aperture 1:33 to be masked theatrically for a slightly wider 1:66 at the most - - as they were shot with television in mind as well as theatrical.

In fact, Merlin Jones and Monkey's Uncle may have been shot for TV in the first place and made into theatricals after the fact, due to Annette's success in the Beach Party movies. Both films split evenly into two-part stories.
disneyfella
Anniversary Edition

Post by disneyfella »

I know that "The Misadventures of Merlin Jones" was indeed made for television. It was going to be a two part episode on The Wonderful World of Disney (in the vein of Escapade in Florence, Horsemasters, etc.). Anyway, it was released theatrically (probably matted) and was a big success. Enough so, that Disney decided to make the sequel.

However, I think that the sequel was always intended for theatres. I can't be certain, but I think at the time the aspect ratio it was shown in was probably 1.75:1.

As for Moon Pilot, like merlin jones said, it was shot full aperture and then matted for theatres. It was always intended for theatres, though, and thus framed specifically for matting. Again, I can't be sure but most of the Disney programs during that time were 1.75:1.

I am also happy that SDtMH is in its OAR. However, like the sucker I am I will go ahead and buy all of them. I really enjoy their restorations (even if they aren't Vault Disney Collection quality), and know that these prints will never fade or have tracking issues on DVD :)

p.s. Has anyone gotten their SDtMH yet? I want to know if the bonus features made it onto the disc!
Last edited by disneyfella on Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"It's Kind Of Fun To Do The Impossible"
- Walt Disney

buffalobill
Anniversary Edition

Post by buffalobill »

Has anyone received any of the 3 newest DMC exclusives yet? And if they have can they confirm if they have a Disney Movie Reward code inside them? I've joined the club & ordered a lot of exclusives from this & the last couple of months (& I know the last couple of months exclusives did have them). If you have please post. If you haven't please post when you receive them. Thanks.
15 gallon 7 pint blood donor as of 1-4-11. Done donating. Apparently having Cancer makes you kind of ineligible to donate.
Mouseketodd
Gold Classic Collection

So Dear to My Heart, Moon Pilot, The Monkey's Uncle

Post by Mouseketodd »

Because of the newest exclusives -- primarily "So Dear to My Heart" -- I have joined the Disney Movie Club.

My order consisted of these titles:
- So Dear to My Heart
- Moon Pilot
- Stub
- The Legend of Lobo
- The Boy Who Flew with Condors

I will look forward to future purchases of SuperDad, Wild Hearts can't be Broken, and others.
merlinjones
Anniversary Edition

Post by merlinjones »

>>Again, I can't be sure but most of the Disney programs during that time were 1.75:1.<<

I think most of the early 60's (non scope) releases were actually masked in theatre at 1:66, which is why they don't look right when butchered to 1:75 like Jungle Book and Shaggy Dog. Most of those negatives are full aperture, not hard matted so they could be shown on TV at 1:33. There certainly are some exceptions to that, though. A few are hard matted and require letterboxing.
disneyfella
Anniversary Edition

Post by disneyfella »

I'm not sure about "The Shaggy Dog" or "The Jungle Book" aspect ratios. I know that "The Shaggy Dog" was originally made for TV (much like The Misadventures of Merlin Jones was...it was supposed to be a two part wonderful world of Disney program).

However, "Mary Poppins", "Darby O'Gill and the Little People" and "The Ugly Dachshund" (and I believe "That Darn Cat!" and "The Three Lives of Thomasina") were all told to be matted to 1.75:1 in theatre marketing kits. Also, "Blackbeard's Ghost" and "The Moon-Spinners" were told to be matted to 1.85:1. I haven't found any evidence that films were supposed to be matted to 1.66:1 (even though, Those Calloways, Happiest Millionaire, and Summer Magic were released in that ratio on DVD). While I can't say for certain this was their ratio....I do not trust Disney's distribution arm to release properly framed films, because after purchasing a handful of theatre press kits I have come to realize that several "widescreen" Disney films have been released NOT in their OAR.

Again, I could be wrong but I have not found any info (outside of untrustworthy DVD releases) that the majority of films from the 1960s were released in 1.66:1. Rather, I keep coming across info that most of the films were either 1.75:1 or 1.85:1. There are surely some exceptions, though (probably especially for films that were made for TV).
"It's Kind Of Fun To Do The Impossible"
- Walt Disney

jrboy
Anniversary Edition

Post by jrboy »

disneyfella wrote:p.s. Has anyone gotten their SDtMH yet? I want to know if the bonus features made it onto the disc!
~So Dear to My Heart Scrapbook - Includes Concept Art and Behind the Scenes Visuals
~Walt Disney TV Introduction
~Fun Film Facts - Trivia
~Out of Scale - Aminated Short
~Brave Engineer - Aminated Short

All three exclusives include disc art and a DMR code

So Dear is the only one with bonus features, all are in fullscreen
merlinjones
Anniversary Edition

Post by merlinjones »

>>So Dear is the only one with bonus features, all are in fullscreen<<

Picture quality on all?