WandaVision

All topics on all things Marvel.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

WandaVision

Post by Sotiris »

Disney is enlisting Earth’s Mightiest Heroes as the company prepares to launch its upcoming streaming service. The entertainment giant is in early development on an ambitious plan for a number of limited series centered on popular characters from the Marvel Cinematic Universe. These series will likely include shows centered on Loki and the Scarlet Witch, along with other beloved superheroes who have yet to appear in their own standalone movies.

There’s an important distinction from other Marvel small screen efforts, however. The actors who portrayed these heroes and villains in the Avengers films and their spin-offs, such as Tom Hiddleston and Elizabeth Olsen, are expected to play them in the streaming shows. Moreover, though sources close to the production are staying mum on the cost of the programming, the budgets are expected to be hefty rivaling those of a major studio productions.

The Marvel series are in early development and writers have yet to be attached to the projects. Marvel TV Studios and Disney have been active with shows that include ABC’s “Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.” and Netflix’s “Daredevil,” but sources say those shows will stay under Marvel TV banner with these limited series set under Marvel Studios.

Storylines for each series are still being teased out, but Disney appears to be holding back some significant fire power for the big screen. Insiders stress the Avengers that have gotten their own movies like Iron Man and Captain America will not be featured in the series with the studios focusing on characters who have served as second tier characters in the MCU.
Source: https://variety.com/2018/film/news/loki ... 202947551/
The other thing I’m hearing is that Paul Bettany‘s Vision will have a large part in the previously reported Scarlet Witch show. In fact, it may actually be a series more about the super-powered couple than just Wanda. This makes sense to me, as Wanda’s relationship with Vision is more compelling than Wanda on her own, and the two have a long and fascinating relationship in the pages of Marvel comics. I don’t think Scarlett Witch has received proper development outside of maybe Civil War, so a series that explores her further via her relationship with Vision makes sense.
Source: https://www.slashfilm.com/falcon-winter ... tv-series/
Also getting an upgrade: Marvel Studios star Elizabeth Olsen has played Scarlet Witch as a supporting character in four films to date. The character will be a title character for the first time next year with the launch of Vision and the Scarlet Witch, a Disney+ streaming series.
Source: https://deadline.com/2018/11/spider-wom ... 202485612/
The Vision and Scarlet Witch, one of the first series that Marvel Studios will be making for Disney’s streaming service Disney+, has landed a writer and showrunner. Jac Schaeffer, one of the scribes behind Marvel’s upcoming Captain Marvel movie, has been tapped to run point on the series that will focus on the two characters that are integral members of the Avengers. She will pen the pilot and executive produce, say sources. Paul Bettany and Elizabeth Olsen are expected to star in the series, reprising the roles they originated on the big screen.
Source: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat- ... er-1174937
Later in the day, unverified rumors began to swirl that the series may be inspired, at least in part, by the recent limited Vision comic book series written by Tom King. Lauded critically, the 12-issue series saw King take a Shakespearean approach to the life of Vision and his synthezoid family. It doesn’t take much imagination to see how King’s series could be tweaked to have Wanda step in as his wife and have their two comic book children replace the synthezoid kiddos.

Interestingly enough, King recently indicated that he had stepped away from his duties writing the ongoing Batman comic book to spend a couple of weeks working on a secret television project. While the two may not be related, there’s at least some smoke here that could indicate that Marvel Studios at least consulted with King on how to rework the book into a series.
Source: http://www.thathashtagshow.com/2019/01/ ... cu-series/
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Re: Scarlet Witch & Vision (TV Series)

Post by JeanGreyForever »

I'm so glad to hear this! Wanda and Vision are one of my favorite couples and I was ecstatic when Avengers: Infinity War was described as a Wanda-Vision film. They really did get great screentime there but I was hoping even then for a spin-off film or TV series. I really hope they can include Billy and Tommy somehow. Enchantress would make a great villain especially since the MCU hasn't bothered to depict her yet.

If they want more Wanda centric stories, I hope they take inspiration from her recent solo series since I quite enjoyed that.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

JeanGreyForever wrote:Wanda and Vision are one of my favorite couples and I was ecstatic when Avengers: Infinity War was described as a Wanda-Vision film. They really did get great screentime there but I was hoping even then for a spin-off film or TV series. I really hope they can include Billy and Tommy somehow. Enchantress would make a great villain especially since the MCU hasn't bothered to depict her yet.
Mine too! I also like Tony Stark/Pepper Potts and Steve Rogers/Peggy Carter. Which is your least favorite canon couple? Mine's Natasha Romanova/Bruce Banner. They have zero chemistry together. I'd say Clint Barton/Laura too but she's such a non-entity, she can hardly pass as a character. If you're referring to the first Enchantress, Amora, she would indeed make a great villain. It'd be cool to have two sorceresses go against each other.
thedisneyspirit
Anniversary Edition

Post by thedisneyspirit »

Surprised you all like MCU Wanda, considering how you guys go on and on about how you're hardcore comics Marvel fans, and resent the X -Men movies for being so incorrect, yet applaud Wanda, who's so different from her comics incarnation...Like whoah. She's not Jewish or Roma, she doesn't have depression, she doesn't have the same family, she was retconned into being a Neo-Nazi (and considering she's the daughter of Holocaust survivors in the comics, that's incredibly offensive), fuck she doesn't even have the same powers...But that's all good??? :?

I guess as long as the MCU/the Mouse does changes, that's a good thing.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

thedisneyspirit wrote:Surprised you all like MCU Wanda, considering how you guys go on and on about how you're hardcore comics Marvel fans, and resent the X -Men movies for being so incorrect, yet applaud Wanda, who's so different from her comics incarnation...Like whoah.

I'm not sure if you're referring to me with this post but I'm a casual Marvel fan and I don't mind if they change things from the comics. It depends on the change, the way it's executed, and whether I feel it fits a particular story. I don't like all the changes the MCU made. My issues with the X-Men films have more to do with inconsistencies, retcons, and plotholes than just not being comic-accurate. I did enjoy some of them (though the upcoming Dark Phoenix looks awful).
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

thedisneyspirit wrote:Surprised you all like MCU Wanda, considering how you guys go on and on about how you're hardcore comics Marvel fans, and resent the X -Men movies for being so incorrect, yet applaud Wanda, who's so different from her comics incarnation...Like whoah. She's not Jewish or Roma, she doesn't have depression, she doesn't have the same family, she was retconned into being a Neo-Nazi (and considering she's the daughter of Holocaust survivors in the comics, that's incredibly offensive), fuck she doesn't even have the same powers...But that's all good??? :?

I guess as long as the MCU/the Mouse does changes, that's a good thing.
I actually am a hardcore Marvel comic fan (or was anyway since I haven't cared much for the direction of the comics in the past few years), but MCU Wanda really isn't that far off from the comic incarnation. You have to keep in mind that the comic version has been changed so many times over the decades and used and abused by so many writers that most Wanda fans wanted a fresh start with her. Her powers function differently in the movies (more like Jean Grey's, which probably indicates a bias on my part for MCU Wanda) but her powers in the comics are constantly redefined and to this day, nobody really understands how they work.

Her Magneto parentage was just retconned out of existence but even that wasn't that bothersome to me because Magneto wasn't her father originally. In fact, the first parentage retcon didn't feature him. They had to retcon the retcon to make him her father. Wanda's Jewish heritage comes from Magneto and frankly it's something that has never been explored in the comics either, nor has it ever seemed important to her. Magneto didn't raise her and on top of that, Jewish ancestry is inherited matrilineally so it wouldn't really factor into her backstory. The Roma backstory I'll give you has basically been ignored but I didn't except to see that on the big screen anyway. It's something the TV series could explore.

I wouldn't call her a Neo-Nazi either. HYDRA might be Nazis but I wouldn't expect a couple of young people from a war-torn Eastern European country to be aware of that when they signed up to work with Baron Von Strucker. He's one of Magneto's archenemies in the comics and he has twin children, Fenris, who Wanda and Pietro sort of serve as spiritual surrogates for in the MCU. On top of that, it's been theorized that he was responsible for giving Polaris (another daughter of Magneto) her powers in an attempt to co-opt her and essentially use Magneto's own daughter against him so the precedent is already there. Captain America being turned into an actual Nazi, on the other hand, is a real issue.

As for having depression, the comic version has never had depression until her character was mishandled and turned into a plot device. Something that put the character in Limbo for around a decade and Wanda fans have hated that treatment of her. It's only been the past few years that she's really overcome a decade's worth of character assassination. The original character was never depressive, not even after her "children" turned out to be fake, another story that nobody cared for and basically set the stage for writers to depict her as insane and unstable.
Sotiris wrote:My issues with the X-Men films have more to do with inconsistencies, retcons, and plotholes than just not being comic-accurate. I did enjoy some of them (though the upcoming Dark Phoenix looks awful).
Even the MCU isn't very comic accurate but it takes the general themes and integrity of the characters and retains that. The X-Men characters have little in common with the originals except Wolverine, which is half of the problem since the entire franchise basically hinges on him. Dark Phoenix looks terrible as well. Still hoping it gets canned or released on a streaming service instead.
ImageImage
Sotiris

Re: Vision & Scarlet Witch (TV Series)

Post by Sotiris »

This was posted anonymously on 4chan so take it with a grain of salt.
Vision is reborn in Avengers: Endgame and reunites with Scarlet Witch. They attempt to lead normal lives in the suburbs of New York, but Vision is no longer connected to the Mind Stone and is therefore cold and emotionless. Scarlet Witch attempts to use her powers, which are connected to the Mind Stone, to restore Vision’s “soul”, with disastrous results. This project has been described as a “psychological thriller”, light on action and heavy on atmosphere, and exploring the lead characters’ personal issues. Vision will be in human form for most of it and become the antagonist, as Scarlet Witch slowly realizes she accidentally allowed a dark spirit to possess him. Agatha Harkness will be featured as a mysterious figure attempting to reveal to Scarlet Witch secrets of her past, and there will be a subplot about the public’s backlash against human/machine relations once the true nature of Vision and Scarlet Witch’s relationship is revealed. High-caliber actresses like Frances Conroy, Vanessa Redgrave and Dianne West have already been approached for Harkness.
Source: http://boards.4channel.org/co/thread/10 ... p105266129
Dominic West apparently met with Marvel about playing the main antagonist of Vision & Scarlet Witch. Based on what I've heard, he would be a neighbor who opposes their relationship and presence, rallies the locals against them, and is ultimately possessed by the evil spirit that first possesses Vision, becoming the MCU's Grim Reaper.
Source: http://boards.4channel.org/co/thread/10 ... p105266427
Sotiris

Re: Vision & Scarlet Witch (TV Series)

Post by Sotiris »

SDCC 2019: Marvel Studios' 'WandaVision' on Disney+ Details Revealed at Hall H
https://www.marvel.com/articles/tv-show ... s-revealed

Source: https://twitter.com/MarvelStudios/statu ... 6439897088
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Re: WandaVision (TV Series)

Definitely the Marvel project I am most excited for. Can't wait to see Vision come back after he was killed off so unceremoniously. I wonder if Wanda's powers will progress to allow her to bring him back.
ImageImage
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/08/24 ... expo-panel
Though WandaVision hasn't started shooting yet, Marvel brought a tone piece to the D23 Expo hall, showing off shots from Avengers: Infinity War intercut with The Dick van Dyke Show.

The series is intended to be "half classic sitcom, half full MCU spectacular," and the series is set to begin shooting shortly. Ahead of filming, several new WandaVision cast members were announced — Kat Dennings will return as her Thor character Darcy Lewis, Randall Park will be returning as Jimmy Woo, and Kathryn Hahn plays a "Nosey Neighbor"
I think this will be a good show!
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

A lot of people used to speculate that Darcy is the Amora the Enchantress from the comics in a human disguise. Enchantress was a big villain for Wanda especially in the Vision and Scarlet Witch comic series so I wonder if this theory will prove true.
ImageImage
blackcauldron85

blackcauldron85

WandaVision is Bonkers
https://ew.com/tv/2019/09/03/wandavisio ... s-couldnt/
(via Fandom)
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Thanks for posting! I'm really looking forward to this, probably the most out of all the new content Disney+ will introduce.
ImageImage
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Wanda and Vision’s Kids Set to Appear in WandaVision
https://mcucosmic.com/2019/10/12/wanda- ... ndavision/

Rumor: The White Vision May Finally Appear in ‘WandaVision’
https://mcucosmic.com/2019/10/26/rumor- ... ndavision/

S.W.O.R.D. Confirmed to Debut in WandaVision
https://mcucosmic.com/2019/12/16/s-w-o- ... ndavision/

Hulking Confirmed to Debut in WandaVision & Connection to S.W.O.R.D. Revealed
https://www.theilluminerdi.com/2020/01/ ... ndavision/
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

I can't wait to see Billy and Tommy. I always thought I'd have to wait for a Young Avengers film to see them onscreen.
ImageImage
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Marvel’s ‘WandaVision’ Moves From 2021 to 2020 on Disney Plus
https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/wandav ... 203454701/
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Wow I'm glad to hear we are getting it so soon!
ImageImage
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

I hope Quicksilver gets resurrected and he's not some sort of dream/ghost/hallucination. They did Quicksilver dirty and this could be their chance to make up for it.

WandaVision Audition Tape Hints at Quicksilver's Return
https://mcucosmic.com/2020/01/03/wandav ... rs-return/
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Sotiris wrote:I hope Quicksilver gets resurrected and he's not some sort of dream/ghost/hallucination. They did Quicksilver dirty and this could be their chance to make up for it.

WandaVision Audition Tape Hints at Quicksilver's Return
https://mcucosmic.com/2020/01/03/wandav ... rs-return/
Agreed. Wanda can easily bring him back. I was hoping we'd get him back in Endgame somehow from the time traveling plot.
ImageImage