Anastasia on Broadway

All topics relating to content owned by Disney that is not Disney-branded.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Anastasia on Broadway

Post by Sotiris »

BroadwayWorld.com has learned that casting is now under way for a 29-hour reading of ANASTASIA - A New Musical, based on the hit 1997 animated motion picture from Fox Animation Studios. The musical, which is in its early stages of development will feature the five songs from the film along with fifteen new songs written for the stage.

Currently set for the still-being-cast late July reading are Angela Lansbury (reprising her role from the film) and Aaron Lazar with other offers outstanding. Joining the creative team of Lynn Ahrens and Stephen Flaherty will be bookwriter Terrence McNally and Music Director Ben Cohn.

There is currently no official timeline for the project, which is in its early stages of development.
Source: http://broadwayworld.com/article/Rialto ... g-20120615
Last edited by Sotiris on Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

Not a fan of the film, but it's actually perfect for Broadway. I think if you make Anastasia and Demetri more fleshed out, make Rasputin less silly and take out Bartok and this could be a fantastic show.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Bartok could possibly be made to work/be good. You never know.

But 15 new songs? Wow...that's a lot, and a tough challenge to make that many all good quality.
Wonderlicious
Diamond Edition

Post by Wonderlicious »

It could always be that all fifteen of those songs don't reach the stage, or that fifteen songs, including the five movie tunes, will appear in the musical (i.e. there has been some sort of miscommunication).
disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Post by disneyboy20022 »

I've Always Seen Bartok/ Rasputin - sorta like Iago/ Jafar. Though Bartok really doesn't strike me as a villain ever or truly hateful....
Want to Hear How I met Roy E. Disney in 2003? Click the link Below

http://fromscreentotheme.com/ThursdayTr ... isney.aspx
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I'm very surprised, but I'm sure this would be a great musical if done right.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
bradhig
Anniversary Edition

Post by bradhig »

Fix the ending. End with her in unripped dress and wearing the crown.
SpringHeelJack
Platinum Edition

Post by SpringHeelJack »

bradhig wrote:Fix the ending. End with her in unripped dress and wearing the crown.
Mmm. Keep reachin' for that rainbow, buddy.
"Ta ta ta taaaa! Look at me... I'm a snowman! I'm gonna go stand on someone's lawn if I don't get something to do around here pretty soon!"
disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Post by disneyboy20022 »

SpringHeelJack wrote:
bradhig wrote:Fix the ending. End with her in unripped dress and wearing the crown.
Mmm. Keep reachin' for that rainbow, buddy.
A Connection perhaps :kermit:

I'm sorry I couldn't resist the urge to pass on that joke :P
Want to Hear How I met Roy E. Disney in 2003? Click the link Below

http://fromscreentotheme.com/ThursdayTr ... isney.aspx
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

YES! I always imagined this as a musical! I'm really happy. And I'm excited about Angela, repeating her role. Stephanie J. Block or Laura Osnes as Antastasia, anyone? ;)
TheSequelOfDisney
Signature Collection

Post by TheSequelOfDisney »

I don't understand why people are concerned about the amount of songs. There are plenty of musicals with more than 15 or 20 songs; I mean, the Beauty and the Beast musical has twenty songs, too, and I'm sure that musical turned out fine.

I've only seen Anastasia once, and I don't even remember the songs or really what happened, but I'm sure the transition to a Broadway show won't be terribly difficult (unless it turns out like Little Mermaid or Tarzan).
The Divulgations of One Desmond Leica: http://desmondleica.wordpress.com/
TsWade2
Anniversary Edition

Post by TsWade2 »

OH YIPPEE SKIPPEE! :pink:
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

Wow, what a perfect fit for the stage ! I could see this being wonderful; the songs are solid, and adaption to the stage would really work ! If the correct book writer is chosen.
bradhig
Anniversary Edition

Post by bradhig »

The 1956 live action version of Anastasia is based on a Broadway play. You should read some of my fanfic on Fanfiction.net if you wanna see how I would have ended it.
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

How ironic. I actually commented on a YouTube video saying that Anastasia would make an amazing Broadway musical and now I just found this out. :)
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

AARON TVIET IS GOING TO PLAY DIMITRI (So far)!!!!! (Anything can happen in 1-3 years) :pink: :pink: :pink: :pink: :pink: :pink:
Aaron-Tveit-Joins-Angela-Lansbury-et-al-in-ANASTASIA-Reading-20010101

As first reported exclusively by BroadwayWorld, the animated film ANASTASIA is being brought to the stage.

Currently set for the reading are Angela Lansbury and Aaron Lazar, along with the newly announced Aaron Tveit. Tveit - whose Broadway credits include NEXT TO NORMAL and CATCH ME IF YOU CAN and who will be seen as Enjolras in the highly anticipated LES MISERABLES film this December - will play Dimitri, the con man who brings Anastasia to the Empress (Lansbury) in an attempt to collect a reward.

Read more: http://broadwayworld.com/article/Aaron- ... z1zhhD61kE
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

I honestly hope that Rumor in St. Petersburg, Journey to the Past, Once Upon a December, In the Dark of the Night, Learn To Do It and Paris Holds the Key, including the reprises to OUaD and LTDI make the cut. Yes, those are pretty ALL the songs from the movie, but I think it'd be more complete that way with all the fifteen newer songs. :P
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Exclusive: Crawford, Barrett, Halston, Page Join Tveit, Lansbury, Lazar in ANASTASIA Reading!
http://broadwayworld.com/article/Exclus ... g-20120728
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

Patrick Page once again dons the role of the villain, Vladimir.
Umm..... don't they mean Rasputin? Because last time I checked, Vladimir was the guy who aided Dimitri in his con game. :?
bradhig
Anniversary Edition

Post by bradhig »

I just watched the last few minutes of the . 1956 version of Anastasia on Fox Movie Channel. They bungled the ending to that too. Hopefully the new musical will be based on the Don Bluth version as reported and not a revival of the original musical. The ending clashes with my beliefs of what happened to the real Anastasia that why it bothers me so much.