The Swan Princess

Discussion of non-Disney entertainment.
Flanger-Hanger
Platinum Edition

Post by Flanger-Hanger »

Super Aurora, did you send me the songs yet? I checked my email and it says I don't have any new messages.
Flanger-Hanger
Platinum Edition

The Swan Princess (1994) Discussion

Post by Flanger-Hanger »

I can't believe there isn't a thread for this, what with Prudy and I liking Rogers and Uberta so much.

Anyway, talk whatever you want to about the film here. Just thought I start this after seeing this pic:

http://www.imdb.com/media/rm1677434368/tt0111333

ZING! What do the Pocahontas haters think?
BelleGirl
Anniversary Edition

Post by BelleGirl »

I saw this movie on TV, but I wasn't very impressed I think.

I think it's bad kind of advertisement to promote a film by pasting a comment on the poster from some one stating "this movie is much more enjoyable than that other movie". I call it an admission of weakness , because apparantly the movie cannot be judged on its own merits, but has to be set off against another.

This apart form the fact that comparing Swan princess to Pocahontas is a bit like comparing apples to oranges (yes they are both animated love stories but that's it)

Pocahontas haters may love to see such a comment and try out Swan princess, on the other hand Pocahontas-lovers who might initially be interested in Swan princess will be p****d of by such a comment. Not very wise if you want to promote a movie!
Last edited by BelleGirl on Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chernabog_Rocks
Collector's Edition

Post by Chernabog_Rocks »

I like Pocahontas, but I also love Swan Princess. Uberta is awesome and I always seem to have that one song in my head..Forever and For Always? Having a lapse of memory at the moment. Also, that henchmen of the villains is rather funny in her own way.
My Disney focused instagram: disneyeternal
my chicken is infected
Anniversary Edition

Post by my chicken is infected »

I've never seen that image before, but it looks to be one of the UK video releases, so I doubt too many people got the chance to be turned off by it. :P

I enjoy The Swan Princess, with all its crappiness. Hell, I squealed and snatched up the 2-movie box set with the first and third movies at the now out of business local store for $6. (I wish the second movie would get released to DVD here, but it doesn't look as though that'll ever happen. I mean the sequels are pretty bad, but so's the original so it's forgiveable. :P)
-Joey
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Yeah, The Swan Princess is really a surprise gem. Several of the songs are enjoyable--particularly the opening number--and most of the characters are likable (though Derek gets on my nerves and the villain is boring). Uberta is the best character of the film, but I liked the villain's sidekick-hag, too--hilarious!

I don't really think it's comparable to Pocahontas though. Pocahontas has a more serious tone vs. the overall comedic tone of The Swan Princess.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Dottie
Collector's Edition

Post by Dottie »

I loved that movie when it came out and I used to watch it a lot on VHS, because the songs were just so great.
It is not as good as the Disney movies of that time, but still, it is good and definitely a film for little girls.
The only thing that kind of disappoints me when I watch it now, is that Odette's character is so underdeveloped in the second movie. She starts out as a tomboyish, pretty independent girl and young woman and then just becomes this simpering woman who can only think of where her loved one might be and when he is going to save her.
The romantic in me loves that she is so sure Derek will free her eventually, but the feminist in me finds it a little disappointing that she longs for a man who never saw anything else in her than beauty (although he redeems himself in the end when he tells her something about how curageous etc. she is).

And "Far longer than for ever" just has to be one of the most beautiful songs in an animated movie.
Poody
Anniversary Edition

Post by Poody »

Ok, I don't get the Pocahontas haters reference. Oh well.

I love this movie. For a non-Disney animated wannabe feature.... it's pretty damn good! I also love the song "Far Longer Than Forever."

Now the sequels..... :lol: Not so hot. Oh well.
Flanger-Hanger
Platinum Edition

Post by Flanger-Hanger »

"Far Longer Than Forever" is great and it got a Golden Globe nom but I'm annoyed it didn't get the Oscar nom after that. Lion king got 3 in that category that year and although it may not be as good as Lion King for some, the song should have been recognized, on it's own merits for begin well written and not by Disney.
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

My uncle let me borrow the VHS back in the day, and I don't remember if I enjoyed it much. I really don't remember much about the film. But watching the 3-movie trailer on IMDB...um, the dancing at 00:14? I don't know if they are dancing on a cloud, but that's what I thought... And the villain laughing, looking into the crystal ball? Total Ursula vibe right there... And in the 2nd trailer (the one for just the first film)...when Odette and Derek are in the ballroom (?)- B&tB vibe there. "Princess On Parade"...wow, doesn't seem like a good song. :p The Odette-Derek storyline doesn't seem bad at all, just everything else does. :p

Sorry I don't have much to add to the discussion, but I'm just gradually reading about non-Disney animated films (started with Don Bluth, who generally I like), and this was next in line.

I know that Disney was thinking of making Swan Lake (someone made a thread a while ago about it; here it is:

http://www.dvdizzy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=25463 )

I wonder how much of the Rich version he had thought of when he pitched the idea to Disney...?

Is the love story of The Swan Princess worth revisiting? I don't remember anything about it, and I do love me some love stories... Or is it kind of corny and not worth my time?

*edit*

Watching "Far Longer Than Forever" on YouTube. It's alright. Not awesome. It's alright. :p The melody is pretty.
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

Ah, Amy first you get me thinking about Thumbelina, now this one! :lol:

Like you, I haven't seen it in years, but I know I enjoyed. I'll have to check it out.

I don't know much about Tchaikovsky's ballet, but it would be neat if Disney could make the film with his score incorporated, like they did with Sleeping Beauty.
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

:) I'm just curious, that's all! :) I'm planning on revisiting the Bluth films, but figured I'd read about other studios' films while I'm at it.

I wonder if that ever was an idea, using the original ballet music. I think that that could be amazing if done classically, like with Sleeping Beauty.
Super Aurora
Diamond Edition

Post by Super Aurora »

I never saw this movie in theaters but i was all over it on VHS. I agree the movie as a whole is bit medicore compare to many of the disney movies. But I think it did good as it's own standalone movie compare to other animated movies at the time in 90's (and failing). I read up Disney originally were going to do this movie along with Aladdin, and Lion King(King of the Jungle at the time). I dunno why it got scrapped though, but Richard Rich must of wanted to do one and so took the matter on his own hand to be made. And it came out same year as Lion King. So I'd imagine he really wanted this to get made.

I think Disney would of made a great Swan Lake movie had they went forward with it.

One thing I do like is the design and personality of Odette in Swan Princess and find her very beautiful. I'd say she one of few princesses that grew up with the prince to know him very well and has a more justified love relationship for him as oppose to many of the Disney ones where it was love by first couple minute interaction.

The other characters really didn't satisfy me. Too much comic relief that feel too forced. It felt like there was only 3 serious characters in the entire movie: Odette(most serious and normal bunch), Derek(why isn't his name Sigfried like in original?), and Robarthe(still felt forced at times). Seems like Odette was in an out of place movie.

Another interesting info i found out is that many of the employers who works on this movie, works on X-Men:Evolution years later. Go compare the face design of Odette's to Jean Grey's.
<i>Please limit signatures to 100 pixels high and 500 pixels wide</i>
http://i1338.photobucket.com/albums/o68 ... ecf3d2.gif
SillySymphony
Gold Classic Collection

Post by SillySymphony »

my chicken is infected wrote:...I enjoy The Swan Princess, with all its crappiness. Hell, I squealed and snatched up the 2-movie box set with the first and third movies at the now out of business local store for $6. (I wish the second movie would get released to DVD here, but it doesn't look as though that'll ever happen. I mean the sequels are pretty bad, but so's the original so it's forgiveable. :P)
Same here! (Minus the $6 part! Lucky!!) I got the second movie on DVD too. :D The sequels are awful...but I love them anyway.
theCat'sOut/Flowers&Trees/theFlyingMouse/theSkeletonDance/theThreeLittlePigs
REINIER
Anniversary Edition

Post by REINIER »

I thought this was a very enjoyable movie, love the songs btw

After revisting this movie and reading the comments here I am still somewhat confused as to how this story slipped through disney's hands..

I mean, this has got disney written all over it.

If it weren't for the cheaper visuals I think that it could be considered disney material just like it is now

Anyway, I guess that with the Princess and The Frog disney redeemed itself, seeing that this too is a transformation tale

:wink:
When it comes to brains, I got the lion-share,
but when it comes to bruth strength, I'm afraid I'm at the shallow end of the gene pool
Jay
Anniversary Edition

Post by Jay »

I like this movie it is cute and fun. Odette is very pretty and actually reminds me of Aroura in terms of looks. She is a good herione. Derek is kind of annoying though but still kind of a hot prince haha. Rothbart is a decent villain. He is fun but can be intimidating when he needs to be. I love his side kick she is a riot!! I love the part where Derek goes up to her while she is disguised as Odette and she reveals her face instead of Odette's and cackles madly and makes a kissing sound to Derek. I always use to imitate that when I was a pup! The supporting characters are ok but very Disneyesque. Jean-Bob reminds me of Lumiere, Puffin reminds me of Scuttle and Speed reminds me of Eyore and idk why haha. Uberta is also a fun characterand the songs are nice. Overall a good knock off of a Disney film!
Cordy_Biddle
Anniversary Edition

Post by Cordy_Biddle »

The original is good but the two sequels reek of "Saturday Morning Cartoon" quality. I've always admired the score.
I'm just valentine candy and boxing-gloves!

My DVD Collection :
http://classic-movieguy.dvdaf.com/
fatcake
Limited Issue

Post by fatcake »

enjoy This movie very much and I simply can't find this movie in stores anymore where do you think they sell it with a slipcover?
I remember seeing this in hmv with a slipcover 4 years ago and absolutly make this DVD worth buying, should I get this release(if I get my hands on one) or wait for a new rerelease on blu ray/DVD?
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

I totally forgot about this movie until I saw this post !

(Which probably doesnt say too much for the film itself ....)

But I think, from last seeing it on Channel 5 some years ago, I think I enjoyed it, and Liz Callaway sang some nice songs. But I do rememeber, even as a kid, it was very slapstick in its humour, but yet still quite a sweet film.

Will go and revisit it youtube I think :) If its there ?!
nilyvn

Post by nilyvn »

The Swan Princess trilogy was released in a 2-disc double-sided set on February 16, 2004. On March 30, 2004 the film was re-released to mark its 10-year anniversary, with a new cover for the video and Special Edition DVD.
Thanks.