In the Heights (2021)

Discussion of non-Disney entertainment.
blackcauldron85
Ultimate Collector's Edition

In the Heights (2021)

Post by blackcauldron85 »

(I thought for sure we had a thread on it but I did not see one.)

The first 8 minutes were posted by WB on YouTube! It looks AMAZING!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HAR3QBuiiU
Disney's Divinity

Re: In the Heights (2021 movie)

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I read this is performing badly... Is that true? I mean, I don't feel bad if so because of LMM, but I'm surprised because the film actually looked so good from the commercials that even I was interested in seeing it.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Yes, it's true. It grossed only $11.4M on its opening weekend falling short of the already conservative $20M predictions. It also underperformed on HBO Max with only 693K views. Typically, when a film flops at the box office, it doesn't do any better on streaming. I've seen other people comment that even though the trailers looked really good, the movie itself was just mediocre, citing issues with the script and the pacing. Also, fans of the play were upset by changes made for the film adaptation which they claim were for the worse.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

But surely it will do better when it comes to Blu-ray? I've been looking forward to this film...I thought about getting HBO Max for a month to see it, but with money being super-tight for me right now, I figured I'll just get it on disc down the line. I wonder with Covid still out there and with so many streaming services, if a lot of people are holding out for the DVD/Blu releases to see a new film...

And Disney's Divinity, what you posted in another thread [Encanto's] about the controversy around this film, how the Afro-Latin population is underrepresented...I can't imagine that would cause the lower-than-expected viewership, but that's all over the Internet so it may be painting a more negative view of the film.
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

"In the Heights" did receive an A CinemaScore, so word-of-mouth could help the movie in the coming weeks. Unless it's something like "Cats", which got a disastrous C+ CinemaScore, musicals tend to have really good staying power. We'll see what happens. It has the advantage of not having much competition.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

blackcauldron85 wrote:I can't imagine that would cause the lower-than-expected viewership, but that's all over the Internet so it may be painting a more negative view of the film.
I don't believe the controversy affected the film's performance either. Into the Heights simply has never been a big IP.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Disney's Divinity

Re: In the Heights (2021)

Just finished watching this. I liked it, personally. It's something you have to be in the mood for, of course, but I did enjoy it overall. Naturally most of the things Miranda's involved in include these older female, grandmotherly characters, but Claudia here is the best of the ones I've in the projects he's been involved with. Her song, "Paciencia y Fe," is the best moment in the film, imo; the only song that even comes close to me is "Breathe." Anthony Ramos is so cute, I admit that might have ingratiated me to the film out the gate. :P

Between this and Encanto, I feel like I like Miranda a little more, partly because of how both films touch on the theme of faith. I still resent him over TLM-LA and find him sort of attention-seeking (I guess a lot of stars are like that though), but I like him more than I did before. Of course, I still do prefer most of the other composers currently at Disney over him. He's better than Randy Newman anyway. Even though this film didn't perform well in theaters, I see it gaining life via TV reruns.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I am glad you liked it, DD. I watched it just tonight, and I felt pretty much two things: great message/feeling, bad story. I didn't give a damn about any characters or there "plights" if you could even call it that, until the green card part came in. Some songs were good. All the dancing was amazing. I must admit I thought abuela's song was the best part of the movie, too. But overall I was like "I don't care" most of the time.

I'm glad you like LMM more now, DD. I realize he's like how some people here felt about The Lion King and Beauty and the Beast: they think it's ok, but then, when it becomes humongously popular, they hate it, especially if it becomes more popular than what they like. At least, that is how I felt about Lion King and Beauty and the Beast for too long on this forum. I wish I had never bashed them. In fact, that is also kinda how I feel about LMM, but I do think Hamilton is a masterpiece.
Disney's Divinity

^ I don't really see it as hating what's new since I like the Lopezes and the Greatest Showman composers who are also at Disney. I just think his work is generally poor or spotty at best. Like with Randy Newman, a lot of it depended on the vocal talent to do the heavy lifting.

I was only back to post that I bought Anthony Ramos' solo album. I was buying some other things from Amazon Warehouse and saw an album by him for $4 (Love and Lies). I really, really liked him in this--so decided to give it a chance; I was thinking that I rarely feel that way about talent connected to LMM. I'd probably also give an album from Olga Merediz, for sure, and I hope she has a song of her own if they ever make an Encanto sequel. I liked to Leslie Grace and Melissa Barrera from this, too, although I think it'll be harder to keep their names in my memory than Ramos and Olga because the latter two made a bigger impression. I don't really feel that way about anyone from anything else Miranda-related other than Cravalho. It's too bad some of these few I do like didn't get pushed into TLM rather than Daveed Diggs.

Anyway, I wonder if this album will be mostly pop stuff (like solo stuff from other musical talent) with maybe a R&B tinge or if it'll include rap. I hope not too much of rap, it's definitely not my favorite genre of music. I can take it more when it's a female voice, and even then it's rare for me to enjoy it; I have liked a couple of songs from Lizzo, Nicki Minaj, and Doja Cat, for example. And I suppose Ursula's song as well as the Witch's song from Into the Woods can be thought of as a type of Broadway rap--in a way--and I do like those.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Disney's Divinity wrote:^ I don't really see it as hating what's new since I like the Lopezes and the Greatest Showman composers who are also at Disney. I just think his work is generally poor or spotty at best. Like with Randy Newman, a lot of it depended on the vocal talent to do the heavy lifting.
I don't mean to fight, as you have really done so much to not fight, which is really admirable, but I just wanted to point out I didn't say people were hating what is new, but that they were hating what they didn't care for that much and yet became hugely successful. I know I feel that way, and I think that's what other people felt, especially the Beauty and the Beast (1991) bashers we used to have, that included me.