The Prom (2020)

Discussion of non-Disney entertainment.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

The Prom (2020)

Post by Sotiris »

Ryan Murphy is planning to make a feature adaptation of the hit Broadway musical The Prom under his huge deal at Netflix, Deadline has confirmed.

Murphy made the announcement tonight at New York’s Longacre Theatre prior to a charity performance of The Prom which benefited the Hetrick-Martin Institute, GLAAD and the Trevor Project. No word if Murphy will direct or produce, however, he has a canon of inclusive projects including the two-time Emmy winning HBO movie The Normal Heart, FX’s Pose series and the six-time Emmy-winning Fox high school musical series Glee.

From director-choreographer Casey Nicholaw, The Prom is based loosely on a real-life incident. The musical follows a troupe of hilariously self-obsessed theater stars of a certain age who swarm into a small conservative Indiana town in support of a high school girl who wants to take her girlfriend to the prom. The concept is from Jack Viertel with a book by Bob Martin and Chad Beguelin, music by Matthew Sklar and lyrics by Beguelin. Show’s producers are Bill Damaschke, Dori Berinstein and Jack Lane.
Source: https://deadline.com/2019/04/the-prom-r ... 202592370/
Not yet a year into his expensive five-year deal with Netflix, Ryan Murphy is about to deliver his biggest get for the streamer. Deadline hears he will direct and produce the feature adaptation of the Tony-nominated stage musical The Prom and has secured a cast that puts Netflix in new starpower territory.

Meryl Streep will star alongside James Corden, Nicole Kidman and Ariana Grande, with Awkwafina, Keegan-Michael Key and Andrew Rannells playing key roles. Sources said Murphy will get underway directing the film adaptation of the Broadway hit in December, for a fall 2020 awards season release in theaters before it airs on the streamer.

In Prom, Streep will play Dee Dee Allen, a two-time Tony winner who teams with Corden’s Barry Glickman in a flop musical about Eleanor Roosevelt. After career-ending reviews, they decide — along with Broadway babies Kidman as Angie Dickinson and Rannells (Book of Mormon) as Trent Oliver — to champion a cause to rehabilitate their careers. They find one in Emma, a high school senior in Indiana who isn’t allowed to take her girlfriend to the prom. A nationwide search led by casting director Alexa Fogel is on to fill the role of Emma. Grande will star as Alyssa, a popular daughter of the head of the PTA. Awkwafina will play the group’s publicist Ms. Sheldon, and Key will play Streep’s love interest and Emma’s ally, Principal Hawkins.

Murphy will produce with Alexis Woodall, Bill Damaschke, and Dori Berinstein. Script is by Bob Martin and Chad Beguelin, music and lyrics are by Beguelin and Matthew Sklar, based on the original concept by Jack Viertel. Murphy will produce the soundtrack along with Grande and her manager, Scooter Braun.
Source: https://deadline.com/2019/06/ryan-murph ... 202637550/
Kerry Washington is heading to The Prom. The Emmy-nominated Scandal star has joined the A-list cast of Ryan Murphy’s feature adaptation for Netflix. Deadline broke the news in June about the casting of Nicole Kidman, Meryl Streep, Awkwafina, James Corden, Keegan-Michael Key and Andrew Rannells.
Source: https://deadline.com/2019/10/kerry-wash ... 202756829/
Ariana Debose has been cast in The Prom, Ryan Murphy’s film adaptation to the popular Broadway musical which will be released on Netflix sometime in the Fall of 2020. DeBose will star as Alyssa, a popular daughter of the head of the Parent Teacher Association.
Source: https://deadline.com/2019/11/the-prom-r ... 202774824/
As of now, Murphy is hopeful his big-screen adaptation of Broadway musical The Prom can still hit its December premiere date. "I only have two days of minor shooting so I can get that fixed pretty quickly as soon as this is over," he notes.
Source: https://ew.com/tv/ryan-murphy-status-re ... -shutdown/
Ryan Murphy wrote:All of the leads had wrapped. The last scene that I shot was Nicole Kidman’s last scene. Meryl had finished and James Corden had finished, and Andrew Rannells and Nicole had all finished. The only thing that I had is I had two days of second unit pickup… I hope this summer I can go back and quickly pick them up… The movie was supposed to come out right around Christmas, was the plan. November, Thanksgiving, Christmas in that window. Hopefully, I’ll be able to still do that.

We used all the songs and then we’ve written one new song for it, one new original piece for The Prom. That was really fun to work on and it’s a great ballad, and it’s really a moving song about acceptance and prejudice. I think a lot of people will love it. Yeah, we kept every song and we added one, which is a lot, but it’s fun, worth it.

I’ve never done this in my career, but I called up three people I’ve always wanted to work with, which was Meryl Streep and James Corden and Nicole Kidman. And I said, ‘I want to do this. I believe in it. I want to work with you. Do you want to do it?’ And all three of them went to see [the play] within that week, I think, and they all called and instantly said, ‘Yes, I will do it.’ The fact that I could get Meryl Streep to love it and be into it and believe in it as much as I did, I just couldn’t believe that I got Meryl Streep to say yes in a one week window.

I was so excited for the message, and then I think I was right about how powerful it is because all of those actors said yes instantly, which has never happened once in my career. And it turned out to be the most fun to shoot. I mean, there’s so many takes. We had to stop because we were all just dying laughing because it was so funny. And they’re all just so good in it. Meryl’s amazing and James and Nicole, Andrew and all the new kids in it.
Source: https://collider.com/ryan-murphy-netfli ... om-update/
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Sotiris

Re: The Prom: The Musical: The Movie

Post by Sotiris »

Meryl Streep serves glitter whimsy and wigs in The Prom first look photos
https://ew.com/movies/prom-movie-meryl-streep-photos/
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

What a cast--Streep, Kidman, Rannells, Awkwafina, Washington, Corden, I can't stop I like them all.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Wow this looks great. You know I thought they were singing "Love is universal" but then learned they are singing "One thing's universal."
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Cool. Trailer looks great.
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

That looks excellent!! I wrote it on my calendar for Dec. 11th!
TheSequelOfDisney
Signature Collection

Post by TheSequelOfDisney »

I'm not familiar with the musical but I can't say it's really grabbing me all that much. The music isn't exactly what I think of when I hear "musical," though that's what seems to be popular these days.
The Divulgations of One Desmond Leica: http://desmondleica.wordpress.com/
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

Went into this blind, although I’d heard mostly positive things about the Broadway production. Mostly, I liked it! The songs and music were good, the cast was terrific. The story and plot were a little all over the place, which is a criticism I’d heard about the Broadway show. I’d probably have cut Andrew Rannells and Nicole Kidman’s (I was shocked how small her role was!) parts and I would have made Kerry Washington’s PTA President a bigger and more central adversary. But the movie was fun and cute, and Ryan Murphy is at home with musicals. I gasped when Tracey Ullman showed up, I didn’t know she was in this. Anyway, an imperfect movie musical as so many movie musicals are— but worth a watch anyway!
TheSequelOfDisney
Signature Collection

Post by TheSequelOfDisney »

I watched this on Sunday and thoroughly disliked it. The songs weren't memorable, the direction was way too loud, most of the characters were obnoxious and don't develop at all, and the script was sloppy (though apparently that's true for the play too). The whole premise is hard to believe in, even for a musical. Though, my biggest complaint is side-stepping our main character to focus on the A-list actors Murphy rounded up. It just didn't land for me at all. Lots of razzle dazzle but that's about all.
The Divulgations of One Desmond Leica: http://desmondleica.wordpress.com/
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I forgot to say when I watched this weeks ago I thought it was a masterpiece. I wouldn't watch it again because it's not my cup of tea, but I thoroughly enjoyed it while watching it. My favorite song was "Alyssa Greene". I thought that number was very good.