Miscellaneous Film/TV Discussion

Discussion of non-Disney entertainment.
Avaitor
Collector's Edition

Re: Miscellaneous Film/TV Discussion

Post by Avaitor »

Disney Duster wrote:Glad you like Auntie Mame, Avaitor! I didn't realize there was anything bad about Ito. What's wrong with him? Agnes I thought was adorable. Anyway, I'm glad you like the rest! Rosalind really does do a divine performance!
Ito speaks in awkward broken English and a heavily accented Japanese accent. I'd be more willing to look the other way on it, but looking up his actor, he's from SoCal, and not Japan, which yikes.

And I must be in the minority about Agnes, since she won a Golden Globe and all. But yes, I do really like the film otherwise.
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney Duster »

Oh, that is bad about Ito then. They should have gotten a real Japanese person who speaks English as well as he can.

I didn't know Agnes' actress won a Golden Globe! I'm glad! I can see why people would find her annoying, but I'm glad some people like her like I do!
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

Auntie Mame is a cult classic, especially among gay audiences but I’ve never really been in love with it. It’s the kind of comedy that to me, seems like the performers are having more fun than I am watching them.

Mame, the movie musical, was certainly a misfire. Supposedly, Lucille Ball wanted Auntie Mame back in the 50’s but obviously the role went to Rosalind Russell who had originated the part on Broadway and was herself a movie star. What I like most about Mame is it sort of shows even someone of great skill and talent can produce a pretty terrible and misguided performance. I have so much respect for Lucille Ball that seeing her in this turkey is, in a way, inspirational. If she can make such a big mistake, anybody can.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Wow, that's really profound and inspiring Brelly! But I thought her acting was top notch, just not her singing.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Finally saw the new Little Women a couple of weeks ago. I thought it was very good, loved the way it jumped back and forth in the timeline. My only complaint was sometimes the actors spoke waaaay too fast in a group scene, to the point it didn't sound like a conversation human beings could actually have at all, but as lines being recited. I liked how it showed more of Amy and Laurie's relationship, too. Meryl Streep was easily the best version of the aunt I've seen (and that includes Angela Lansbury in that recent mini-series a while back). I also loved how the ending mocked, well, the ending. :lol:
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

I was just thinking that I need to see that adaptation of Little Women. I’ve read the book but I don’t think I’ve seen any of the movie versions.

I did not watch the Golden Globes but I saw Jodie Foster won an award. At first I thought it was for directing a TV episode or something, but apparently she plays the lawyer in a movie about a man who was detained without charge in Guantanamo Bay for 14 years. It’s called The Mauritanian and now I’m very interested in seeing it. I love to see Jodie Foster getting awards attention again and I would to see her pick up her third Oscar (if she even gets nominated). We’ll see...
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

Billy Eichner Universal Romantic Comedy ‘Bros’ Sets Late Summer 2022 Release
Universal bills Bros as “the first romantic comedy from a major studio about two gay men maybe, possibly, probably stumbling towards love. Maybe. They’re both very busy.”
https://www.google.com/amp/s/deadline.c ... 07877/amp/

I’m always impressed whenever Billy Eichner pops up in different projects (his Timon was maybe the best thing about the TLK remake). Looking forward to this, it sounds so cute!
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

You say it sounds so cute, but do we know anymore than it's about two busy guys who probably stumble in love?
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

Haha no we don’t know anything else. But to me any gay romcom sounds very cute!
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Oh ok lol. Yes, a gay romcom is something I'd probably always wanna see if the leads are cute. I remember you one time asking, when gay people get into gay romances in media, is that how straight people like straight romances in media so much? I have asked that myself, and I think the answer is yes!
Disney's Divinity

I saw Psycho for the first time the other day. It's actually odd that it's taken me all this time to finally sit down and watch it. Especially considering I watched the Bates Motel series years ago at this point. :lol: That series was fantastic, btw, even with how creepy the subject matter is. Vera Farmiga was on a whole other level, and Freddie Highmore was great, too (not to leave out Carbonell and Thierot). Having seen that first, I pretty much knew what to expect from Psycho's ending, that he'd been dressing up as the mother. Still, it's a classic and worth seeing once. Looking on Wikipedia, apparently there was a Psycho II through IV and they kept the original actor involved! :lol:

After I watched that film, I was thinking to myself how I wish I could see Rope and One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (I know the latter isn't Hitchcock). I almost watched the new Nurse Ratched series on Netflix, but it would've been just like how I watched Bates Motel before Psycho.
Disney's Divinity

Does anyone else watch The Masked Singer? The new season started airing last night. It's something to watch and I enjoy guessing who they might be (if they aren't just some random reality star or athlete I don't know), and then there's Ken Jeoung. Niecy Nash replaced Nick Cannon as host; I like her better, tbh. Kermit the Frog was the one revealed last night. :lol: There isn't anything airing on regular TV anymore. Really just this and American Idol. I've been trying to watch Walker just because Padalecki's involved. I at least like Walker more than I expected, as a non-fan of the original show. This new version kind of reminds me of Brothers & Sisters for anyone who's seen that series, as far as being centered on a family dynamic.

I was reading an article on the best film endings and it included the "Nobody's perfect" line at the end of Some Like It Hot. I'll admit I was a bit lost at why that was included. I've seen Some Like It Hot twice the past few months, and I always wonder if that line is supposed to imply the guy doesn't care that his girlfriend turned out to be a man and would continue seeing him? Either way, I can't imagine the romance continuing post-film considering the guy who was dressing up doesn't seem interested, although there was the part he was joking about actually going through with it because of how nice the guy treated him. :lol: I only thought to ask here because I think you, UmbrellaFish, had posted about buying the film in the General DVD section.
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

Yeah, it’s such a classic line that director and screenwriter of Some Like it Hot, Billy Wilder, had it written on his tombstone: https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/629 ... lly-wilder

I think the genius of the line is that it sort of points out the ridiculous-ness of the whole film. In real life, no one would ever buy Jack Lemmon and Tony Curtis as cis-women but because the characters in the film buy it, we accept it in the movie. Joe E. Brown’s final line makes us laugh at ourselves— of course, he isn’t phased by Lemmon’s admission because he always knew Jack Lemmon was a man. But it doesn’t matter because man or woman, Joe E. Brown is in love with Jack Lemmon. “Nobody’s perfect” to him, the fact that the woman he is in love with is a man is just a little flaw.

Idk that’s just my interpretation, and there are others. It’s a simple line, but there’s layers of context and meaning there. I’d kill to write a line as good as that.
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

Disney's Divinity wrote:Does anyone else watch The Masked Singer? The new season started airing last night. It's something to watch and I enjoy guessing who they might be (if they aren't just some random reality star or athlete I don't know), and then there's Ken Jeoung. Niecy Nash replaced Nick Cannon as host; I like her better, tbh. Kermit the Frog was the one revealed last night. :lol: There isn't anything airing on regular TV anymore. Really just this and American Idol.
I don't have regular TV, but my husband and I are definitely interested in the show. If you're not keeping tabs on spoilers, then don't highlight, but Hanson is my favorite band, and they 1000% are the Russian Dolls- I did see that clip online. It's on Fox, right? I wonder if there's a Fox app for people w/o regular TV, like where you can watch all the episodes, where you don't need to provide login credentials for a cable subscription.
Disney's Divinity

I've seen Hansonrumored elsewhere, so I'm guessing you're correct. I had Phoenix pegged as Caitlyn Jenner as soon as they started singing. I thought Piglet was Nick Lachey just from the commercials.
blackcauldron85

I haven't seen those other 2 costumes- I literally just saw the Hanson one because I follow news on them. But I'm definitely intrigued and need to catch up on all seasons. :p
DVDBuff1
Gold Classic Collection

Post by DVDBuff1 »

Finally saw The Zack Snyder cut of Justice League last night, and I sincerely loved it. I’m usually not a fan of Snyder’s dour toned storytelling, and I had doubts I would like this movie because of it. As a DC superhero fan I am pleased to be wrong. Yes this movie is 4 hours long, but I enjoyed the whole experience, compared to the theatrical version of this film from 2017, which was trash. This was also a major improvement over Batman V Superman, by having an engaging story with very little pretentious Biblical references (there’s a total of 3 from what I counted), and there also isn’t an overwhelming tonal problem with the heroes’ struggles in their complex morality and actions like in Man of Steel.

I honestly liked all of the characters in this movie, I especially loved every moment with Wonder Woman and Cyborg. I only hated 3 cameos that served no story purpose other than sequel set up that may or may not happen, but that’s a very minuscule gripe compared to enjoying a 4 hour experience despite technical difficulties (my PS4 and HBO Max couldn’t stop lagging in connection issues). Overall, it feels good to have an awesome DC ensemble film. :D
blackcauldron85

^I'm glad you liked it! I've been intrigued by it, and I've been reading a lot of articles about it. I haven't seen the theatrical version...my husband was at his brother's house on vacation and they have HBO Max, and he liked it, so he just signed us up, so no excuses not to watch it.

I know that WB/DC has already said that they're not going to make an Ayer cut of Suicide Squad (I did see that), and I know that Ayer seems disappointed with that, and he said that that would be cheaper to make. I wonder what precedent, if any, the Snyder Cut will bring to Hollywood, you know? With enough fan outcry, will they resurrect other projects? The whole thing is fascinating to me.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

UmbrellaFish wrote:It’s a simple line, but there’s layers of context and meaning there. I’d kill to write a line as good as that.
I haven't seen the movie but I get how that is one of the best lines ever and I'd kill to write a line like that, too.

DVDbuff1, does the Snyder cut have lots of alternate scenes that tell a different story? If not, how do just extra scenes make that much better a movie?
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

Godzilla vs Kong is amazing. I mean, it’s just a giant monster fighting movie but if you like those it’s great. Even better than the first two entries in the Godzilla series (haven’t seen the Kong one). It made a lot of money in China so I’m hoping WB and Toho are will green light more of these flicks. They’re awesome.