Miscellaneous Film/TV Discussion

Discussion of non-Disney entertainment.
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Miscellaneous Film/TV Discussion

Post by Disney Duster »

I want to see Rope because it's one of the earliest features to feature gay guys! Glad you say it was worth a watch, Divinity! I have seen One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, and that is one very good movie! Hope you can see it soon! And yes, A Streetcar Named Desire is a classic and a tragedy. It's interesting you just thought it would be a tragic romance. I really like that film, too, though. It's a masterpiece.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I don't think I'd ever want to see Streetcar again though. The abuse and the rape at the end... No, that was too dark and hopeless for me. Maybe the story there just hit a little too close to home for me.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I get you about how sad that movie is. I didn't realize it hit close to home. I'm curious how. You could send me a pm about it, but I can also understand you keeping that information private.
DVDBuff1
Gold Classic Collection

Post by DVDBuff1 »

Saw The Suicide Squad last night with my dear friend. It was like DC told James Gunn "do whatever you want that even Marvel says 'NO' to with this movie." It was intense, all over the place, and hilariously gross. If you don't like seeing kids reenact adult humored cartoons like South Park or Rick & Morty, I probably wouldn't recommend it for you. :lol:

Will definitely be seeing this again soon.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I saw Rope! What a great movie! It had like only three or four separate shots! So all that acting and blocking was amazing! I agree with Divinity that the aunt who read people's palms was realistic and great. But all the performances were great! Maybe the standout was the piano-playing gay guy.
Disney's Divinity

I'm glad you were able to see it finally. :)

I've seen a bunch of things the past few weeks. I finally watched Sex and the City for the first time. I've seen episodes here and there over the years and never could get into it; I decided to try it from the beginning now DVR lets me store up shows until all the episodes are there. :P I enjoyed it! Not something I would buy like with TGG, Desperate Housewives, etc., but it was good. They actually managed to tie everything up at the end of the sixth season better than I had expected going into that last season. I think the only one's ending I wasn't crazy about was Charlotte, only because she changed her religion just to get married, jeez. But aside from that, the two characters had a lot of chemistry with one another. I hate that Samantha broke up with Smith in the first movie though. Especially since the actress won't be returning to the Revival, I would've liked if they had stayed together.

Overall though, I think only Miranda and Carrie were truly defined as characters, although I came to enjoy Charlotte and Samantha over time. That said, I couldn't take Carrie most of the time--reminds me of how whiny, un-satisfiable (not a word, but you know what I'm saying), and downright annoying Susan became on Desperate Housewives. (I can definitely see how DH was inspired in a lot of different ways by this show, btw.) They all could be annoying that way at times because they would find almost anything to be upset about to drop whoever they're with in an episode, but Carrie was beyond in the fourth season with Aiden. I almost feel like fan criticism while the show aired back when must've happened with the fourth season, because in the seasons that followed, Carrie suddenly started making all these awkward attempts at humor that didn't suit her. Almost as if the fans wanted the character to "lighten up," so to speak, and the writers had responded to that feedback. :lol: The only thing I liked about Carrie were some of her outfits, particularly the furs. And those pearls! Miranda was easily my favorite, although I identified with Charlotte in a lot of ways, too. Miranda and Steve were my favorite thing from the beginning. I hated when they finally got together at one point and they broke them up, and then they had Steve cheat on her in the movie. :roll: But I still liked them together even after all that. Smith was so cute and sweet with Samantha, too.

I also saw The Importance of Being Ernest and Blithe Spirit for the first time. I'd only recorded them because it was Margaret Rutherford day on TCM and they were on around the Murder films (I already own them, but it was nice having them on in the background). The actor from My Fair Lady was so handsome in Blithe Spirit! That's probably the youngest I'd seen him, too. What a strange film... I mean, he and his wife are both murdered and it's treated as comedy. :lol: I enjoyed Ernest, but can't think of much to say about it; the actors were all perfect. It definitely reminded me of a Shakespearean comedy in a lot of ways.

Next on the agenda is Scorpion. I might wait a few days because (of its four seasons) I don't have the second half of season two and first half of three recorded yet, and I'd hate to go through it really fast and then end up waiting and waiting for the next episodes. I did watch the pilot episode and enjoyed it overall.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Thank you, Divinity! You're so nice. I am so glad your DVR is letting you watch entire series now! I love Sex and the City but I will wait till I can buy the boxset to watch it all. I need to see The Importance of Being Ernest someday, too! So glad you enjoyed them both!
DVDBuff1
Gold Classic Collection

Post by DVDBuff1 »

Saw the new Candyman last night, and I loved it. I can't get behind some people's complaints of the movie saying it's just alright. This film has the exact same theme of the original: Fear of both madness and becoming a monster. Hell, it's the same theme of Nightmare on Elm Street 2, which that movie and this movie both have queer representation.

This movie isn't a departure from the original, it honors it. The only difference is the protagonist is not a white woman. If a boogeyman story mixed with the everyday horrors for minorities is something that interests you, PLEASE give this great film a watch.
Disney's Divinity

I've seen a load of movies the past few weeks, although I can't always think of what to say about them to fill a post. :lol: Finally watched the Indiana Jones films--I always thought there were 5-6 of them instead of just 4. Weird. I'd say only the first one was really great (also the one where Ford was the handsomest--unrelated, but just worth noting. :lol: ). The third one is the only one that comes close to it. The 2nd one was a pretty steep fall from the first one mostly because of the female character screaming nonstop. But there were a few good scenes / moments, like the campfire scene or when they escape the plane.

I only watched Testament of Youth because Colin Morgan was listed in the cast. It was pretty good. Something about the way the film looked and sounded reminded me a great deal of The Danish Girl (I thought the same person must've done the score for both, but the only connection was the lead actress in both). I didn't realize it was based on a true story until the credits at the end. Valley Girl, The Addams Family (2019), Summerland, Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark, Django Unchained, Cloud Atlas, Spontaneous. Cloud Atlas was another one I should've watched years ago, but I think hearing it was about "reincarnation" turned me off it. I sort of regret waiting this long. What a beautiful movie, top to bottom. I love one part of the film when there are scenes from every timeline (so disparate in tone) spliced together in a very quick span. Really well-done. I think only the Tom Hanks-Halle Bailey timeline at the end was kind of dumb with the language and the fact that they worshiped Sonmi. :lol:
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

Halle Bailey or Halle Berry?
DVDBuff1
Gold Classic Collection

Post by DVDBuff1 »

^ He meant Halle Berry. :)
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

I figured, but I haven't seen the film and I was too tired to Google it! Thank you! I was a little intrigued if it was Bailey + Hanks!
Disney's Divinity

Been watching a lot of different things, as I said in my last post. And I haven't finished going through everything by any means. Just finished watching Killer Klowns from Outer Space. I remember Lazario having a thing for that movie back when, but I've never seen it and this is the first time it's ever aired on TV that I've had the chance. It is a pretty good horror film. TBH, I think most films—horror or fantasy for that matter—were better back before 3D effects became a thing. They had to operate with built props and so on. The Klowns have such a physicality to them, almost like stop-motion, that adds to the creepy factor (sort of like, say, all the "magic" in Mary Poppins versus the reboot a few years ago—that physicality just feels different, better, than 3D). I mean, I wasn't really ever scared by this movie, it was more the atmosphere I'm referring to. Maybe it's just me, but I was almost seeing a polyamorous ending there for the trio of characters. :lol:

I've finished the first season of 3rd Rock of the Season and nearly midway through the second season. The first season was better by far, but the second season is finally picking back up after the first 5-6 episodes. There are so many moments that I had to watch over and over thanks to DVR because they were so funny so far. Dick dressing up as a woman to find out what's happening at the women's-only meeting, Dick posing nude at the art class, Harry and Tommy trying to feed a baby (and Harry spitting in its—the camera’s—face out of revenge at one point), Dick gobbling like a turkey, etc. This show is hilarious. I regret not watching it for so long. Speaking of Lithgow, I finally watched Bombshell as well. I think he’s a great actor—really campy on 3rd Rock, but completely serious in a role like Roger Ailes. It was sort of a boring movie because it was hard to root for most of the characters, but worth seeing once.

Saving up a lot of shows still until I have the whole thing available, like Elementary, Scorpion (so annoying to only have three-ish episodes missing smackdab in the middle which is why I haven’t started it yet), American Housewife, and New Girl. I finished Maude a while back (and, wow, circling back around to the pilot from the finale--Maude and Walter look so much better at the end of the series than they did at the beginning! :lol: ) and decided to watch The Jeffersons since it's another Norman Lear show. I actually think it’s the best of his shows, even better than AitF. I jumped in in the fourth season when there’s really just Mr. and Mrs. Jefferson and Florence, rarely any kids around. The son-in-law and daughter were always my least favorite parts of AitF; I’d have enjoyed it more if it had only been the parents 90% of the time the way this show is. It's funny how modern comedies take me so much more time to digest than these older ones. Whenever I watch 3rd Rock (or American Housewife, or Home Economics which is still airing), it feels like the audience is being given information a mile a minute. I have to rewind all the time to catch a line I missed. Where those old comedies like Jeffersons and Maude have way more breathing room.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Cool to know you are enjoying all these movies and TV, Divinity! But you meant 3rd Rock from the Sun, not 3rd Rock of the Season. :wink: I was like, is there a show with a similar title I didn't know about? Lol. I love that show! I forget how Killer Klowns goes...have to watch it again someday, but I remember dreading seeing it as a kid, but when I finally saw it as an adult I felt meh. Doesn't mean it really isn't scary and I would see that if I watched it again.
Disney's Divinity

Yeah, I meant that. :P Sometimes I think God likes to play with me, where I make these big, long posts, try to make sentence structure correct and everything sound right, all the titles italicized, only for one word to be off and thwart it all. :lol: I remember my first paper in college, I would've got a 100 except I had one point off for misspelling "male" as "mail." How did that happen, when I know the difference and I re-read the paper over and over and over again. That's why I've found it's good to leave something you've written for a while and come back to read it in order to spot errors, because when you've first written it you have it wrapped in your head so much, to the point of knowing how it goes by heart, you're hearing your meaning internally more than you're seeing the words on the page. At least it's that way for me, I tend to repeat things in my head regularly, words, music, line readings, etc.

Watched Wicked Stepmother, Bette Davis' final film role, earlier. It wasn’t very good. She looked so different, having lost a bunch of weight and she must’ve had a stroke at some point, because one side of her mouth had trouble moving most of the time. The movie was certainly beneath her, but she probably needed money or simply wanted to act again at that time of life. Despite her age showing so heavily, she was still the only good thing about it to me.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

You know, I think that must be it, that we have what we mean in our head so much we often don't catch some mistakes in our writing! Wow, you would have had a 100! You really are smart.

Wicked Stepmother sounds like a film that would be up my alley...Bette Davis and a Cinderella archetype!
Disney's Divinity

The Tony Awards were last night, I don't know if anyone else watched? It was okay to me. The best performance was Anika Noni Rose and Ben Platt's. That was really beautiful. I don't know if they're in a musical together or if that was a one-off performance? I'll check on Google later, but if it's the former, I'll try to buy the OBC recording if so. And it's always nice to see Josh Groban, and Menzel / Chenoweth, but otherwise only the Tina Turner musical performance interested me. Happy for Moulin Rouge!'s win, too, even if the musical doesn't seem to be on the film's level. So many people I recognized in the In Memoriam--Samuel Wright, Diana Rigg, Jerry Herman, Shirley Knight, Orson Bean, etc. Rest in peace. :(
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I love the movie so just for that I'm glad Moulin Rouge won!
Disney's Divinity

I watched the best movie I've seen a while yesterday: Promising Young Woman. I'd heard fanfare about it and, while I did want to see it, I wasn't really expecting it to be this good. I've seen Carey Mulligan in so many things and she always has these really bleak, dramatic roles--movies where sometimes they pour the tragedy on way OTT, where everything in the film looks grey and dreary for added effect. :lol: Those kinds of films rarely impact me, but Mulligan's always been talented; this is definitely her best film, imo. This film was a tragedy, but it was more characterized by rage than sadness, which made it a great watch. I like how the title could refer to either Nina /or/ Cassie. She was almost over it all before the video. I really didn't expect her to die at the end, I thought she was just pretending to be strangled at first, but then they burned the body. I admit that at the beginning of the film, I thought she was killing the men she was picking up, but the story decided to pull its punches and sanitize her in the end.

I remember having a discussion in the Cruella thread way back about how they should've made it more like a female counterpart to Joker than imitating Joker itself which was all about White male rage. This film feels like a counterpart of Joker, imo. I think it's a better movie than Joker by far--I only liked the last 10 minutes or so of it, and would only say it was worth seeing for the scene on the talkshow when he confronts the subtle cruelty of and then kills Robert DeNiro's character. If this is ever on sale, I would buy this, and I don't buy many live-action films.

Also watched Turbo today. The film is like Cars and Ratatouille had a baby. And then there were other things that felt like other PIXAR imitations, the male-voiced Spa Lady an attempt to copy Edna Mode and the gang of racer snails like the dentist aquarium's fish in Finding Nemo. And naturally there's also similarities to A Bug's Life, at least at the beginning with them farming the tomatoes and Turbo being annoying like Flik. I didn't completely hate it, although I don't have any urge to see it again... That same inoffensive but boring pipeline-esque quality PIXAR (and subsequently WDAS) has tried to perfect in their films the past 15 years. I did chuckle at the recurring bit of a crow picking up a snail every morning.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

How do you not see Joker is about people with poor mental health's rage against those who mistreat/ignore them?! But yeah, I am glad you watched and like Promising Young Woman so much! It won Best Original Screenplay and was nominated for Best Picture. I liked it more than what won, Nomadland, but I can also see why Nomadland won. I actually thought Cassandra was pretending to be strangled, too, and that she actually waited till her strangler fell asleep and she switched her body with her dead best friend's, and he burned her best friend and she called the cops on him and texted him, still alive. What I came up with in my mind made no sense, I realize. :lol: Anyway, masterpiece of a film.

And woah, killer Halloween avatar and siggy!