Love, Victor

All topics relating to content owned by Disney that is not Disney-branded.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Re: Love, Victor

Post by JeanGreyForever »

farerb wrote: I did think the film was a bit unrealistic, so maybe I'll like that aspect of the show. I might give it a try if it's that short.

Have you heard about the rumor (it's actually an angry YouTuber) that says that Disney's going to erase the ST from canon?
Yeah one of the complaints that Victor himself has is that Simon's family and friends all accepted his sexuality without question and the school treated him like a hero. I actually do think the storyline here is generally more realistic. Especially because both the TV show and the film feature a female friend who clearly has feelings for Simon/Victor, but in the film it's just sorta glossed over and she accepts Simon 100% which isn't the case here.

Don't put any weight into it. That "rumor" comes from somebody named Doomcock who also "leaked" rubbish about TROS which all turned out to be untrue. YouTube is full of hate-mongers who learned they can make easy money by creating video after video catering to the uneducated and boorish masses about how Kathleen Kennedy has feminized Disney and she's about to be fired any day now. If the PT, which was way more hated and derided both critically and commercially, never was retconned, Disney surely isn't going to do that to their own trilogy. Not only would the optics look terrible considering they have a female head of LFL and really promoted Rey as women empowerment, but they also didn't spend millions on Galaxy's Edge which is entirely ST based only to dismantle that just a year later.

Frankly the Star Wars fandom is one of the most deplorable and misogynistic fandoms I've ever seen. If you remember, I used to post TROS leaks in the TROS thread by someone named Jason Ward. Well he's just been exposed as someone who used to prey on girls below the age of 18 in the fandom and luckily he's been denounced by most of the community. And even before this, it was widely known that he would catfish other people to get intel on leaks.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Yes, Star Wars fandom is the worst (so many people put on ignore back in bluray.com). I feel like internet fandom is so tiring sometimes, it's just not fun anymore to talk about the things we like.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Lol, I don't blame you. I still remember that really rude poster who derided you saying you must not be interested if it isn't a Disney animated film or something like that. TBH, I've been distant from the Star Wars fandom for a while now because TROS really killed my love. When it came out, I tried to see the good parts of it because I knew this was the last film and there's no redo, but after the initial hype of the release, I really haven't been able to see it in a good light.

BTW, I saw on Blu-ray.com recently that you said there was an error in the new Aladdin Blu-Ray which Disney didn't fix. What error was that?
ImageImage
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

I thought there might have been another error besides that. I'm guessing that wasn't an error but a change they deliberately made for the IMAX release since it's been consistent since.
ImageImage
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

I saw the first episode and it was nice. Just funny observation, it didn't bother me or anything, but this show enters to the list of teen shows that starts with "the new kid" like Beverly Hills 90210, Buffy, Gilmore Girls, The OC... There are probably more but I stopped watching them a long time ago...
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Pretty Little Liars did a twist on that with the lead character moving back to her school after spending a year abroad.
ImageImage
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

I finished it and I was a little bit disappointed. I didn't hate it or anything, but I had issues with the pacing and I didn't like some of the clichès. I think that the acting wasn't as well as I expected, the interactions felt a little forced and awkward at times. I didn't even feel that Nick put too much effort in it, and I didn't quite understand their relationship when Victor constantly didn't heed Simon's advice, like come on - stop bothering him if you're not going to listen.

What I did like was Sophia Bush. She's a delight in everything she does and I didn't even know that she is in so that was a pleasant surprise, and I do admire that even though this show feels so derivative of every teen drama I've ever seen, it is nice to see a gay guy as the lead for once.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

What did you consider to be a cliche? And which actors did you feel weren't up to par?

To be fair, Nick only had a one episode roleand maybe he still had some residual annoyance left over from the show not being about him. But to be honest, I didn't see it that way and he felt like he was giving the same performance and energy as he did in the original. And yeah, I agree with you and some others here that Victor himself could be quite unlikable.It was obvious he only liked Mia as a friend and his real attraction was only to Benji.

I'm not familiar with Sophia Bush though. I suppose part of the reason it feels derivative is because this is one of the few times there has ever been a gay lead in a show so it makes sense that they would go through all the high school cliches which normally we only see with straight people because it would be an experience all by itself to have a gay lead going through them.
ImageImage
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

The things I found to be clichès:
1. The nerd is going out with the popular girl but she's ashamed at being seen together in public.
2. The jerk is actually a nice person deep down and he acts that way because of his insecurities.
3. The parent starts dating and the kid doesn't like it.
4. Love triangles

Honestly, I felt everyone's acting weren't up to par, but I guess especially Victor's family.

I didn't know he wanted the show to be about him. To me it seems like he's trying to breakthrough in films rather than TV. Unfortunately for him his only successful films are Love, Simon (and even that is mostly North American success cause the film wasn't released theatrically in every country) and Jurassic World (and even there he's mostly remembered as one of the annoying kids, even though he was 20 years old). He was one of the main actors considered to play Augustus Waters in The Fault in Our Stars, but the role eventually went to Ansel Elgort.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Oh you're right, those things are all cliches and I felt the same especially about the popular girl afraid of being associated with the nerdy guy. The parent dating a new person is still somewhat understandable as a cliche. And love triangles exist practically everywhere so that doesn't bother me.

A lot of people here complained about not liking Victor's family. Did you also think Victor's mom (Ana Ortiz) was a bad actress?

Well, I don't know for sure if he's annoyed or upset that the show wasn't about him. But I know we all thought in the beginning that he was getting his own show and as it came as such a surprise to us, I'm guessing it was a surprise to him as well that the show ended up being about a new character altogether. I forgot he's in Jurassic World, he didn't leave much of an impression. He started off in TV if I'm correct. And yuck, Ansel Elgort. I wish Nick had been cast in The Fault in Our Stars instead of Ansel anyday after all that has come out. Although the funny thing is that people are saying that they don't have a problem watching Augustus die anymore because Ansel is the one playing him.
ImageImage
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

I didn't think Ana was good. Maybe I'm biased but I do consider Sophia Bush (Veronica) to be a good actress so when she's there, she kind of outclass everyone.

Yes, he started in TV in a sitcom that ran for four seasons, and then he did some films that weren't successful. I think it's hard for young actors to get serious roles and not just high school kids, and I learned that he doesn't want to play teenagers anymore. Yes he was forgettable in Jurassic World.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Was she the woman Mia's dad was dating? She didn't leave any impression on me and I had no idea she was famous.

I don't know what roles he plans on playing if they aren't teen roles. Emma Watson hasn't been a teenager for over a decade but those are basically the only roles she plays. He should consider himself lucky that he can fill that young actor quota right now because in a couple of years, he will be too old to pull off even that and that tends to be the end of the careers for most of these young stars. He did not have the fame that Ansel, for example, had although I can't imagine Ansel will have a career now, especially after his sorry excuse of an apology where he gaslighted the girl. He reminds me so much of guys I've known in my life so I can't wait for West Side Story to flop and Ansel to realize that was his last chance in Hollywood.
ImageImage
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

She was Void in Incredibles 2, but I mostly know her from One Tree Hill.

I guess he just doesn't want to be typecast. However I agree that he might not make it, but that's how it is I guess. I think the only young actors I can think of that succeeded in films are Timothée Chalamet and Tom Holland (for now).
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

farerb wrote:She was Void in Incredibles 2, but I mostly know her from One Tree Hill.

I guess he just doesn't want to be typecast. However I agree that he might not make it, but that's how it is I guess. I think the only young actors I can think of that succeeded in films are Timothée Chalamet and Tom Holland (for now).
Oh, I liked Voyd.

Playing a teenager shouldn't make him typecast just like a grown adult playing adult roles wouldn't be considered typecasting. There are many teenage stories out there and they don't all involve high school. With Ansel out of the picture, Nick should consider trying to fill that void. Timothee and Tom are pretty popular and Lucas Hedges has also made a name for himself in feature films. A lot of the 13 Reasons Why Cast have stuck with TV so they're not threats as of now. Tye Sheridan is also out there but I don't feel like he's really that well-known even with Spielberg's push.
ImageImage
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

I haven't seen 13 Reasons Why, should I? And I have no idea who Tye Sheridan is.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Yes, it's not nearly as cliched as this show. It's a lot darker and more mature, but I highly recommend it especially the first season which is golden television. And one of the actors who played one of Simons's roommatesis a main character in the first two seasons of 13 Reasons Why.
https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/13r ... 0413170716

Tye Sheridan became really famous from starring in Mud, an indie film that co-starred Matthew McConaughey. Then he got the role of young Scott Summers/Cyclops in the X-Men films starting with X-Men: Apocalypse but frankly all of the young cast was wasted in that. Spielberg gave him a major real in Ready Player One but I feel like he hasn't done much since then.
ImageImage
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

What do you think about Katherine Langford?
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

I think she's a really great actress. She was kinda underutilized in Love, Simon but I'm glad Rian Johnson gave her a role in Knives Out (another reason to love her for being in one of his films). She's got a new Netflix show coming out about Arthurian legends so that'll be interesting. I don't think there's an exact release date just yet but it should be coming sometime this summer.
ImageImage
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

farerb wrote: Have you heard about the rumor (it's actually an angry YouTuber) that says that Disney's going to erase the ST from canon?
To go back to this really quickly, I follow someone named Jeremy Conrad on Twitter who always has the latest news on Disney, Marvel, and DC films. He quickly debunked this rumor and said that the following. I so hope this is true!
https://twitter.com/BenSoloalive/status ... 0520967168
ImageImage