Cinderella (Sony)

Discussion of non-Disney entertainment.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Cinderella (Sony)

Post by Sotiris »

It looks TV movie-quality. The budget must have been limited for the production values to be so low. Idina's dress and hair look dreadful. Even Camila's peasant dress looks like a something out of a community stage production.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

I saw these pictures awhile ago (meant to share them here and forgot), but I agree, Idina’s costume and hairstyling is really awful in that picture. We were spoiled by the costumes in the Lily James version. It would be a shame to cast Billy Porter as your Fairy Godmother character and give him a subpar outfit! Hopefully that (and the ballgown) will be stunners.

I am pleasantly surprised that it will be a period piece and that actually makes me a little more interested in the movie than I was before. I’d also forgotten that James Corden was so heavily involved in this.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Yeah I agree this looks cheap, Idina's hair and dress are awful, and Billy Porter put in an awful outfit would be a real shame so his and the ballgown costumes better be stunners. And yeah, we were spoiled by the Disney remake. I am glad this is a period piece, too.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

The official logo is out. I like the color of the letters, but not the font. It's very plain and generic. I also don't like that the color is dripping like paint. I like the design of the crown, but not its placement. It's kinda random. It should have been placed above the "I" like a tittle or above the "C" to foreshadow Cinderella's coronation.

Source: https://twitter.com/Cinderella/status/1 ... 8844850182
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I like the logo myself.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

The logo is probably representative of the movie's take on Cinderella. I do like it, too.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

This is supposed to come out in February, and it's December. Why haven't we gotten a trailer for this yet?!
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

Sony has a new movie called "Monster Hunter" opening in theatres next week. Maybe they will attach a trailer to it. Or they will just delay the movie. That seems likely.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Thanks for offering some idea on when we could get a trailer. I bet they'll delay it, too. I bet there's a lot of post-production stuff they still have to do, if they even finished filming it yet.
Redadoodles
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Redadoodles »

I was curious about this project at first but I found out about Camilla's racist remarks and her lame apology so I don't intend to watch it at least not in theatre..Maybe in VOD if the reviews are good enough to warrant it.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

It's true Camila said terrible racist things. I hope she's changed, I'm willing to think she became a better person. But there's so many celebrities who have done horrible things, like Sean Connery hitting his wife, and we still acknowledge they can do good things in life and in entertainment and aren't completely bad people. Lily James, the Cinderella from the 2015 movie, has had affairs with married guys. Everyone's a little horrible. We wouldn't want to see what's in everyone's minds all the time.
Redadoodles
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Redadoodles »

Don't get me started on Lily.. I was hugely disappointed by her scandal but then again I still adore Lindsay Lohan even after all of her troubles. The issue with Camilla is that she's dating a guy who was exposed for the exact same thing as her so it's hard to think that she could change but I hope so as I like her songs or at least the few ones I've listened to.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I am ok with Lily. I don't know about Camila.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Well I talked about this in another thread, but since there has been zero news of this too close the the originally proposed release date, I thought why not post this.

Camila Cabello, who is playing Cinderella, will sing an altered version of Beyonce's "Single Ladies" with Missy Elliott, who plays the Town Crier. Here's the article on it:

Sony's Cinderella to Feature "Single Ladies"

That makes sense. The town crier would announce all the single women in the kingdom are to come to the ball.

So, with the original release date being February 5, 2021, and yet no trailer or anything, I wonder when or if this is really gonna get released. Would they not release it because of the racism Camila was exposed for? Would they really do that to the other people who worked on this movie?

And what will this be rated? Kay Cannon, who is writing and directing this film, has usually done PG-13 or R films!
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

Haven't the only films to not come out starred "predators?" I wonder if they'd give Camila a pass since she didn't physically harm anyone? I'm not saying I agree with what she said or believes, but they probably wouldn't scrap the film, I'd think. With using modern music in it, if it has a "modern" type humor, maybe it'll be PG-13. But maybe it'll be tame enough for a PG...
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

This article, about Hollywood needing to delay their movies yet again, talks about Cinderella's situation for a bit.
As it stands, “Cinderella” is slated as the first release of 2021 from a major studio. However, it’s hard to believe the Kay Cannon-directed fairy tale adaptation will keep its early February release date.

Sony declined to comment on the scheduling.

But it doesn’t take a detective to notice there’s been a conspicuous absence of marketing — no hint of first-look images, no scintilla of a teaser trailer, no evidence of Camila Cabello-inspired promotional toys — for movie that’s supposed to come out next month. Most films start rolling out advertising efforts six weeks ahead of its release, oftentimes even earlier if it’s a sequel or spinoff in a popular franchise. Even if the release date wavers, sources at Sony emphasize the classic princess will get her due on the big screen. While the studio sent Seth Rogen’s “An American Pickle” to HBO Max and the Kristen Stewart rom-com “The Happiest Season” to Hulu last year, insiders say “Cinderella” won’t be sold to a streamer and Sony is committed to a theatrical release.
Sony announced Morbius was moving from March to October last week, so I'm surprised they didn't announce a new date for Cinderella then. But I'm sure we will hear something soon. I've noticed Sony hasn't released any new trailer or tv advertising for any of their delayed movies since the pandemic shut everything down. So their plan, for the most part, seems to be to wait it out and not spend money on marketing until they know these movies can be released. Which is probably a smart economic move. MGM, for example, keeps making new trailers and commercials for "No Time to Die" whenever they have a new release date and that's caused them to lose a lot of money.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Well, Amy, Camila apologized and said she doesn't feel the same way she did when she wrote those racist things anymore. I bet this film will be PG.

Thank you for all that info, estefan. That really calms me. I just wish I didn't have to wait so long for a new release date or images or trailers.
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

Cinderella has moved to July 16 now.

With the vaccine starting to roll out, hopefully this and other movie release dates stick.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Thank you! I did see that on Blu-ray.com as well. I am glad it is not too far away, like 2022. Hopefully it does indeed stick.
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

Cinderella has been sold to Amazon Prime Video and will premiere sometime later this year.

I guess Sony changed their mind on making the film a theatrical release. I'm surprised it's gone to Amazon rather than Netflix, since the latter has been forging a solid relationship with Sony these past few months. I guess they had a private bidding war and Amazon had the most attractive offer (although imagine if this had gone to Disney+).

Amazon is not a streamer I've ever considered signing up for, as that catalogue hasn't enticed me as much as others. However, I really want to see Cinderella, so I might consider doing a free trial just to watch this film and maybe a few others I've heard good things about.