Cinderella (Sony)

Discussion of non-Disney entertainment.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Cinderella (Sony)

Post by Sotiris »

Camila Cabello’s world will never be the same. The Grammy-nominated singer-songwriter is set to make her feature acting debut, teaming up with Kay Cannon, the director of Blockers, for a new telling of the classic fairy tale, Cinderella.

Cabello will not only star in the project, set up at Sony's Columbia label, but also will be integrally involved in the music for the film. The idea for the new take on Cinderella grew from an original idea from James Corden, the late-night talk show host who has made major musical inroads thanks to his popular "Carpool Karaoke" segments.

Plot details are being kept in a shoebox but the story is described as a modern reimagining of the traditional tale of the orphaned girl with an evil stepmother, with a musical bent thrown in for good measure. Sony is putting the project on the fast track for production.
Source: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/ ... ng-1200283
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Disney Duster

Re: Cinderella (Sony)

Post by Disney Duster »

It's modern, so I probably won't like it.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

The film is moving forward and has been dated for 2021. It's described as a musical comedy.
Of note, Kay Cannon’s re-imagination of Cinderella starring multi-platinum pop artist and Grammy nominee Camila Cabello will open on Feb. 5, 2021.
Source: https://deadline.com/2019/06/camila-cab ... 202628505/
Kadin’s first project will be producing alongside James Corden and Leo Pearlman for the upcoming musical-comedy Cinderella starring Camila Cabello. The movie is scheduled to begin prep this fall.
Source: https://deadline.com/2019/06/sony-execu ... 202638192/
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Thanks for the info. Hm musical comedy. Ok. I like seriousness but maybe this will be really funny and heartfelt like everyone says Pretty Woman is.
lucifer

Post by lucifer »

Yikes. This sounds like it should be another one of the Cinderella Story spinoffs instead.. especially given the casting. Also, if they're even going to bother with another musical Cinderella, would it really kill them to just greenlight an actual movie based on Rodgers and Hammerstein's Cinderella? The 2013 revamp is fresh enough for the big screen and if they're dead set on a modern-day interpretation, it could very easily be adapted...
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

Just wanted to say Kay Cannon is extremely talented and I'm up for any project she gets attached to. She wrote "Pitch Perfect" as well as several episodes of "30 Rock" and was the creator of the highly underrated Netflix show "Girlboss" (the biggest disappointment I've ever had with Netflix was cancelling that series after one season). Cannon also made her directorial debut with the really funny comedy "Blockers."

I'm looking forward to seeing her put her spin on "Cinderella."
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I would love to see a theatrical version of Rodgers and Hammerstein's Cinderella! It still needs a better book and new songs that fit the score instead of re-using old songs that were never intended for Cinderella, but using some of the last book and new songs could make a fantastic film. I'd love to do that film myself.

But 30 Rock and Blockers are fantastic, so, yay!
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

Disney Duster wrote:I would love to see a theatrical version of Rodgers and Hammerstein's Cinderella! It still needs a better book and new songs that fit the score instead of re-using old songs that were never intended for Cinderella,
I'm only familiar with the Leslie Ann Warren & Brandy movies; could you educate me on what the new Broadway songs never intended for Cinderella were intended for?
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Since my autism makes me obsessed with Cinderella I always love talking about it and will very gladly inform you of the repurposed song histories!

In the 1965 Lesley Ann Warren version, my personal favorite of the Rodgers and Hammerstein musical, it was the first time they added a song that Rodgers and Hammerstein had not writtten specifically for their Cinderella. Oscar Hammerstein, book writer and lyricist, had died, but Richard Rodgers was still alive to personally cast Lesley as Cinderella and decide that the Prince would sing "Loneliness of Evening", from the 1949 Rodgers and Hammerstein musical South Pacific. It was a song meant for the character Emile of that show, but was cut eventually.

For the 1997 Brandy version, Richard Rodgers had long passed away, but Disney thought they could add old Rodgers and Hammerstein songs in anyway. They added "The Sweetest Sounds", "Falling in Love with Love", and "There's Music in You". "The Sweetest Sounds" was a song with both music and lyrics from Richard Rodgers, from the 1962 musical No Strings, sung by Cinderella and the Prince in the Brandy movie. "Falling in Love with Love" was from the 1938 Rodgers and Hart musical The Boys from Syracuse. They had the stepmother sing it in Cinderella probably because you don't cast Bernadette Peters in a musical and not have her sing. "There's Music in You" was from a 1953 movie where Rodgers and Hammerstein were creating a song, for the sake of a movie about a man creating a Broadway show and for some reason Rodgers and Hammerstein are seen creating a song for a show in the movie too, and the movie is called Main Street to Broadway. They wrote a song where an older sister told her younger sister about what marriage would be like now that she was getting married, so it really fit for the Fairy Godmother to sing it to Cinderella as she got married. So that is "There's Music in You".

The songs added to Cinderella on Broadway were "Me, Who Am I?", "Now is the Time", "Loneliness of Evening", and "There's Music in You". "Me, Who Am I?" came from the unsuccessful 1953 Rodgers and Hammerstein musical Me and Juliet. It gets sung by the Prince in the beginning of the Broadway show.. "Now is the Time" was originally meant for Emile in South Pacific, for him to tell Nellie why he killed a man in France (a military move I think, he's not a murderer!), but it was cut because it felt contradictory for him to be standing still on stage while singing of action. "Now is the Time" is sung by Jean-Michel, a revolutionary man, in Cinderella. "Loneliness of Evening" is sung by both Cinderella and the Prince, and "There's Music in You" is sung by the Fairy Godmother again.

So did I explain well?
Last edited by Disney Duster on Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
blackcauldron85

Thank you!! You explained it perfectly! How do you feel about the recycled songs being in the various versions? Would you have preferred brand new songs?
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Oh, good, I explained well! I feel the old songs repurposed for Cinderella are hit or miss, but regardless of how good the songs are or how well they fit in, I just don't think they should have put old non-Cinderella songs in on principle. Every single old non-Cinderella Rodgers and Hammerstein song used for Cinderella's TV versions are absolutely great, really beautiful pieces of music, sure. I personally don't like "Me, Who Am I?" or "Now is the Time". But I just think Richard Rodgers should have written some new tunes and/or some other living writers come up with their own new tunes for the show when it got revived and expanded. Something similar to how Candide was done, where new writers attributed their own songs to the old show as it was revived, and also Andrew Lloyd Webber's The Wizard of Oz, where the musical-theatre genius added his own songs to the old film's songs. Except I hate "Nobody Understands Me" from that show so much.
Last edited by Disney Duster on Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MickeyMouseboy
Platinum Edition

Post by MickeyMouseboy »

They should just get a drag queen and call it a day. rotfl
blackcauldron85

Disney Duster wrote:Andrew Lloyd Webber's The Wizard of Oz
I had no idea that this existed! You get an A+ for teaching me new things this week!! A few years ago, I'm pretty sure I made a "teach me about Broadway" thread, and you, my friend, are doing just that! Thank you!
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Oh, yay, I'm glad I filled you in on yet another musical theater show blackcauldron!

MickeyMouseboy, what did you mean by that for this thread?
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Camila Cabello on How She Overcame Fear to Step Into the ‘Dream’ Role of Cinderella
https://variety.com/2019/film/news/cami ... 203293462/
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Um, interesting. I'm glad she likes Disney Princesses and regards Cinderella as a dream role. So this Cinderella will be funny and empowered? They are talking about the story but I wonder if Cinderella herself will be funny. I would like that, depending in what ways she is funny. I wonder what this movie will be like.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

He's up for the role of the fairy godmother.

Billy Porter in Talks to Join Sony's 'Cinderella'
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat- ... la-1244953
blackcauldron85

Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Oh good, some news! I did not like Billy Porter when I saw him in American Horror Story: Apocalypse, but I think I may like him as a magical fairy. I wonder if he will play a woman. I'm guessing so, because they say "Godmother" and not "Godfather". I however absolutely love the idea of Idina Menzel as the stepmother! Brilliant!
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

You know, when I researched Billy Porter I realized he was the star of Kinky Boots on Broadway and I saw him in that, and he was really good there. I really liked him there.