Cinderella (Sony)

Discussion of non-Disney entertainment.
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Cinderella (Sony)

Post by Disney Duster »

Huh. They seemed so dead set on releasing it in theaters because they thought it would be a big hit. Well, I have Amazon Prime (which has almost every movie you could wish for to rent by the way!), so I'm perfectly content with this news! I wonder when they will stream it, though.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Amazon Eyes Fall Release Date For Its Camila Cabello ‘Cinderella’ Acquisition; See First-Look Photos
https://deadline.com/2021/05/amazon-cin ... 234755772/
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Thank you Sotiris! I like Cinderella gracefully throwing a piece of clothing in the air, and Prince Robert's costume looks like it will be good, and Cinderella's dress looks like it will be beautiful!!! I'm glad to know it will come out this Fall!
tsom
Anniversary Edition

Post by tsom »

I don't know why, but I'm not excited for this movie, even though Cinderella is my favorite fairy tale. Isn't Camilla problematic? I'll still watch though.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

tsom wrote:Isn't Camilla problematic?
Who isn't problematic these days? :P
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Billy Porter reinvents the fairy godmother as 'the Fab G' in Kay Cannon's Cinderella: First look
https://ew.com/movies/cinderella-billy- ... ay-cannon/
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

tsom wrote:I don't know why, but I'm not excited for this movie, even though Cinderella is my favorite fairy tale. Isn't Camilla problematic? I'll still watch though.
But Camilla apologized. Can't you forgive her? No one is perfect. Everyone's a little bad somehow.

I love Billy Porter's look! I love everything, with the exception of his necklace. That's a little weird to me. But I don't mind it, especially in regards to the whole ouftit. I noticed Ellen Mirojnick is the costume designer. She did Rodgers and Hammerstein's Cinderella, too! I guess she really likes having a gold-dressed Black fairy godparent in Cinderella movies. I can't wait to see what Billy Porter does with the role. I met him very briefly at the stagedoor to Kinky Boots (which was a great show by the way!). I also noticed Camilla's stays (corset) are soft. They may be jumps, or a soft-bodice, due to the past complaints about Lily James' corsets in 2015's Cinderella.
Redadoodles
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Redadoodles »

I'd forgive her if her boyfriend wasn't the same.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

What has her boyfriend done? I am not in the loop.
Redadoodles
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Redadoodles »

The same racist stuff haha.. They belong together. :P
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Oh. I still think they should be forgiven. I mean, are they being racist now?
supertalies
Special Edition

Post by supertalies »

The first poster has been released, as well as a teaser trailer. This Cinderella wants to be a fashion designer! I wonder if she makes her own dress then (even though we know there's a Fairy Godparent).

Trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rs7rz0VB45I

Poster:
Redadoodles
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Redadoodles »

Disney Duster wrote:Oh. I still think they should be forgiven. I mean, are they being racist now?
I mean I might watch it if it goes straight to streaming but the tricky thing about celebrities apologizing is that at the end of the day (even if they mean what they say) there is still some part that does it only to protect their brand.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Wow. It looks far better than I thought it would. I love all the designs, except that half-strapless dress Cinderella wears in that one scene. I especially live the palace.

Unfortunately for me, my Cinderella I am making was going to have Cinderella design dresses, too. Hm. Well, every Cinderella uses stuff other Cinderellas have done, even Andrew Lloyd Webber's Cinderella is a culprit.

I think I will love Cinderella's ballgown, but in the trailer, that blue ballgown stood out so much it looked like that one should have been Cinderella's! Especially since it reminds so much of the 2015 Disney one!

Redadoodles, yes, you are right. In part they apologize to protect themselves.
supertalies
Special Edition

Post by supertalies »

Yeah, I love the costumes as well. They look great! I really like that they went with a different colour for Cinderella's ball gown instead of the (somewhat) traditional blue. A blue ball gown is something I personally always associate with Disney, but since this isn't Disney it makes sense they'd do something different.

The ball gown also has small white flowers on it and in the final shot of the trailer (where she's fleeing from the castle) it looks like the dress breaks apart into small flowers after midnight. I'm sure that's gonna look amazing.
Unfortunately for me, my Cinderella I am making was going to have Cinderella design dresses, too. Hm. Well, every Cinderella uses stuff other Cinderellas have done, even Andrew Lloyd Webber's Cinderella is a culprit.
Ooh, you're working on your own version of Cinderella, Duster? That's so cool! You're like, the biggest Cinderella fan I know of, so I can't think of anyone else who would be able to write a new, interesting version of the fairytale. I'd love to read it one day, when you're done! And you're right, there have been so many versions of Cinderella at this point that it's pretty much impossible to do something entirely new with the fairytale. As long as it's done well, it doesn't really matter if you use elements from other versions, I think.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

It seems this film will be the antithesis of Andrew Lloyd Webber’s Cinderella. In that one Cinderella changes who she is to get her love who she met before, and the story is pretty different in a lot of ways. In this one, Cinderella’s ball gown and how she wants to look are everything she actually wants for herself, dresses are her life, and this one looks more traditional. If it just had a woman as the fairy godmother (to show some women helping Cinderella instead of her being treated badly by all three women in her life!) and completely original music, it could have been perfect.

I am so glad we agree on liking the costumes, supertalies! Also, the exterior of the palace looks so good I wonder if it's a real location with some CGI changes, an all real location, or an all-CG concoction. Yes, I am surprised they made purple into an actual good and fitting ball gown for Cinderella! I thought it was pink at first but it's both pink and purple or a pinkish purple. I love it! I love the retroussé skirt the most! At least, I would call it retroussé (it's a word used for 18th century dresses and it meant their overskirts were "hiked up", but these dresses look like a mix of 18th, 19th, and 21st century). I do associate blue ball gowns with Disney's Cinderella for sure, even though it’s really silver or a bluish silver. I would have been ok with a blue ball gown, but I am glad they are making this film distinctively different!

I did not notice the flowers! My phone was too small to tell, but yes, there are these very pretty flowers on her dress and I think you must be right that the Fab G makes her dress out of flowers or at least uses some flowers along with her rags, and that the flowers flying off as her dress changes back will be really magical! And to go off what you said earlier about Cinderella making her own dress, I definitely think she will tell the Fab G what she wants and he will make it for her. You know what I originally thought was going to happen? I thought she was going to make a sketch for a ballgown, her wicked stepmother was going to tear it up into lots of tiny pieces, and the Fab G takes those pieces and the sketch on them to make her her dream ballgown. Then, those things flying off her at midnight would be the pieces of her sketch. I guess I was at least partly wrong and it’s flowers, huh?

Thank you for showing interest in my version of Cinderella! It will be a graphic novel. I’m designing the characters, setting, and the whole pages, but a friend will be drawing the final pieces because I can’t draw well, haha. I hope to have it out in the next couple of years, but I do have to have the money and time to make it! I hope you and others find it interesting enough. And I agree with what you said, as long as we do our versions well, it doesn’t matter what is similar to other versions.
Redadoodles
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Redadoodles »

I can't wait to see your version. :) Knowing how much you love Cinderella, I'm more excited to see that than this Sony version (or the other 3D random cash grab that are coming out). :D
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Wow Redadoodles, you really made my day by saying that. Thank you. I hope when I finally make it, you do like it.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

tsom
Anniversary Edition

Post by tsom »

It looks cheap. Disney did it better. But i’ll still watch because I’m a sucker for the Cinderella story. And I like how the stepmother tries to convince her to marry the prince. That’s a cool twist. It also seems the reason she goes to the ball is to pitch her business to a noble or courtier in order to find an investor. The prince is just an added bonus.