Andrew Lloyd Webber's Cinderella

Discussion of non-Disney entertainment.
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Andrew Lloyd Webber's Cinderella

Post by Disney Duster »

The show is in previews right now. Here's the stage and proscenium. It features what is supposed to be the most beautiful village in the kingdom(Sotiris, let me know if this is too large a thumbnail):
supertalies
Special Edition

Post by supertalies »

ALW and Emerald Fennel have really been hyping this as a new and fresh version of the fairytale, but it seems like it's actually pretty faithful to the original fairy tale. Things are definitely changed, but it's not totally different.

In case anyone wants all of the spoilers: here's a somewhat detailed summary of the show I found online. Clearly this is just from some of the early previews so some story points will probably change, I guess.

ACT 1
The story starts in the town of Belleville, a picturesque fairy tale town. Everyone in the city is gorgeous, thanks in part to The Godmother, who seems to be a sort of plastic surgeon/couturier who has made everyone in the town look beautiful. The city has won the award for the ‘Most Attractive Town in France’ for the 49th year in a row and is preparing for it’s 50th win. They’re overly obsessed with looking ‘perfect’. France’s Royal family lives in Belleville. We’re also introduced to The Stepmother and her two daughters, Marie and Adele, who are both very traditionally beautiful.

Shortly before the story starts the crown prince, Prince Charming, has mysteriously disappeared during one of his daring adventures. The town adored Prince Charming and is planning to unveil a statue they have erected in his honour. While Charming was adored by the townfolk, they consider Charming’s younger brother Sebastian to be a disappointment. Unlike his brother (who was very outgoing, manly and heroic) he’s very shy, more demure and doesn’t like being in the spotlight.

When the statue for Prince Charming is unveiled it’s revealed to be covered in spray paint. The Stepmother and other townfolk immediately realize who the culprit is and we’re introduced to Cinderella. Cinderella is basically the town pariah, she refuses to get a make-over from The Godmother and really dislikes all the other townfolk because they’re so obsessed with their looks. The townsfolk go hunting for Cinderella and when they find her they tie her to a tree so she can cause no more trouble for them (‘Bad Cinderella’). After the townsfolk have left, Prince Sebastian comes along and unties Cinderella. It's established that Sebastian and Cinderella have been friends for years. They are both considered outcasts by the town and clearly have feelings for one another.

Because of the debacle at the statue’s unveiling and because she knows the townfolk don’t really like Sebastian, who is now the new crown prince, the Queen decides that the best thing for the country would be to have a Royal wedding where Sebastian marries a girl from Belleville. She decides to throw a ball where Sebastian will have to choose his bride, the future Queen.

After the ball is announced Sebastian is suddenly treated a lot differently by the townsfolk. They are kind to him and all the girls now basically throw themselves at him (since they know that his wife will be the future Queen). Sebastian has always been treated like a bit of an outcast but now he’s suddenly popular and beloved by his subjects. He feels the pressure to be more of a ‘man’s man’, just like his older brother was. It’s revealed that he loves Cinderella. He hopes she goes to the ball so he can pick her to be his bride (‘Only You, Lonely You’).

Cinderella hears about the ball. She loves Sebastian and is scared that he’ll forget all about her now that he’s getting all of this attention from other, prettier girls. She decides that the only way she could get Sebastian's attention at the ball is if she becomes ‘pretty’ like all of the other girls. She reluctantly goes to see the Godmother. The Godmother decides to help Cinderella. However, beauty has a price, so Cinderella has to give her something that’s important to her in return. Cinderella gives the Godmother a necklace that belonged to her mother. It’s the only thing of hers that Cinderella has left. The Godmother gives Cinderella a make-over, complete with a blonde wig, a big poofy dress and jeweled, glass slippers. Before Cinderella leaves , the Godmother tells her it’s very important to leave before midnight. This is the end of Act 1.

ACT 2
Act 2 starts with the Royal ball (this is also the part where the stage actually spins and some of the seats in the audience move around to the other side of the stage).

All of the girls, including Adele and Marie, are trying to get Sebastian’s attention. Sebastian is a bit overwhelmed, and doesn’t really like any of the girls. He’s looking for Cinderella, who usually stands out from all of the other girls. Cinderella makes her big entrance at the ball and everyone is stunned by how beautiful she looks. She gets a lot of attention and quite a few men want to dance with her. She tries to get to Sebastian but he’s constantly pulled in a different direction by different girls. When she’s finally able to reach Sebastian he doesn’t recognize her. He dances with her but quickly dismisses her since he believes she’s just another girl who wants to marry him for his throne. He quickly moves on to the next girl. Cinderella, however, doesn’t realize that Sebastian doesn’t know who she is and thinks he just rejected her.

The Queen proclaims that Sebastian, who has now danced with all of the girls present at the ball, must pick a girl to marry. Adele, Cinderella’s stepsister, randomly comes up to Sebastian and kisses him. The Queen proclaims that Adele is the girl he picked and that Sebastian and Adele are to be married.

Cinderella leaves the ball. She’s heartbroken and angrily tears off her wig, dress and slippers (‘I Know I Have A Heart’). She realizes she doesn’t need to change herself for a guy and that she’s fine on her own. She decides she's going to run away from Belleville and travel the world. She wants to leave on the day of the wedding, since everyone will be so busy with the Royal wedding that nobody will notice her leaving town. Her other stepsister, Marie, however catches her packing her bags and they have a heart-to-heart where Marie basically encourages Cinderella to fight for what she wants. Cinderella decides to try and stop the wedding (‘Far Too Late’).

Then there is a long wedding scene where it’s made clear that Sebastian has doubts about the wedding, but feels like it’s his duty to marry, even though he doesn’t love Adele. However, before Sebastian can say ‘I do’, Prince Charming bursts in. He’s alive and he’s there to stop the wedding! Charming reveals that he left because he knew he had to eventually get married to a girl he didn’t love. He couldn't go through with it. But when he heard about Sebastian’s wedding he came back to prevent his brother from making the same mistake. He tells everyone he has found someone whom he truly loves. He calls in his love, who is a man.

He tells everyone he wants to get married to his partner. Inspired by his brother's bravery, Sebastian tells his mother that he can’t marry Adele and that he loves someone else. The Queen and the other townsfolk are accepting of Prince Charming and his partner and the Queen decides that it would be a waste if nobody got married that day, so Charming and his partner decide to get married right there instead.

Cinderella meanwhile, runs up to the wedding venue but when she’s still outside she hears the wedding bells and thinks she's too late. She decides she doesn’t want to cause a scene now that Sebastian’s already married and heads back home to get her bags to leave Belleville.

After the wedding, there’s a huge party where the Godmother comes up to Sebastian and gives him Cinderella’s mother’s necklace. Sebastian realizes that the girl he met at the ball was Cinderella and hurries to her house. He tells her he loves her ‘just the way she is’ and wants to go with her on her travels. Cinderella finally confesses her feelings, they kiss and Cinderella finally has her happily ever after. The end.
Last edited by supertalies on Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

Sounds very “ehhh” to me. I think my primary interest in this project now is just in its status as one of the first major new musicals to open since the pandemic began. On that account, I hope it does very well.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

I think it sounds pretty bad. Like Disney Channel movie bad. The whole thing reads like Tumblr fanfiction, to be honest. I caught myself cringing a lot while reading that summary.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
supertalies
Special Edition

Post by supertalies »

Yeah, I'm also a bit disappointed. They promised us a unique, modern take on the fairytale, but this doesn't feel either unique or particularly modern. I'm surprised this is what Emerald Fennell came up with, since her previous work has been a lot stronger. I know it's unfair to judge this show on just a summary of the story, but... that's all we have for now.

Carry Hope Fletcher (who I think is amazing btw) said that this version of Cinderella would be strong and independent, but it seems like they made her even less independent than some other, more traditional versions of Cinderella. Cinderella in the original fairytales didn't completely change herself for the prince, she just wanted to wear a fancy dress and have a fun night out. This Cinderella literally pays for a make-over, just to get noticed by a man. That seems worse, somehow. And I know she later realizes that she didn't have to change herself, but still. Her whole storyline seems to revolve around trying to win the prince.

Also, I kinda hate the 'she's not like other girls' trope, but that's exactly what's going on here. Cinderella is 100% not like other girls. I guess it's a fun twist that Cinderella is this less attractive girl and everyone else is stunning, but it's not as groundbreaking as they hyped it up to be.

Not to mention the twist that Prince Charming is gay. I mean, it's 2021. Was this the best they could do?
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Prince Charming is gay here? I think that makes sense actually, why else he have avoided marrying for so long. I think it's rather neat, although the story at all sounds pretty silly.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I had read some spoilers of plot elsewhere, but thank you for this very detailed plot description, supertalies. I like the very fairy tale ideas of the most beautiful village in France(which is especially Cinderella-like because of the French version of Cinderella), the Godmother making everyone beautiful, how Cinderella is less pretty than everyone else and is a social pariah, how Prince Sebastian is a disappointment but then adored when he's the next in line for the throne, the bride-finding ball, Cinderella going to the Godmother to become pretty, the misunderstanding of Sebastian not recognizing Cinderella and Cinderella thinking he doesn't love her, Cinderella wanting to run away, Cinderella wanting to stop the wedding, and finally Sebastian wanting Cinderella for who she is. What I don't like is that the Fairy Godmother is not magical with a wand and is not a fairy, that the Godmother has no motives and doesn't do anything big that Cinderella wouldn't want with her necklace, that nothing comes of the midnight warning, and that the gay Prince character is so unnecessary and stale. I also never liked the idea that Cinderella changes for a man in this musical, which they talked about from the beginning. Cinderella never changed for a man, she became what she truly wanted to be! Don't you get it, Emerald?

Anyway, what most interests me in this is the set, costumes, lighting, songs and dialogue.
supertalies
Special Edition

Post by supertalies »

You're welcome, Duster!

Yeah, I also deeply dislike the fact that this Cinderella wants to change for a man. That's really not what the original fairy tale was about. I mean, I get that they did it so that Cinderella could finally learn to love herself for who she is, but I'm still not a fan.

I also don't really like that they stripped away the magic from the story, but then kept some of the other fairytale tropes, like a perfect village and a ball to find a wife. I'm not saying it's impossible to do a version of Cinderella without magic (just look at Ever After, which is one of my favourite Cinderella movies), but it seems like magic could have easily worked in this show's universe. Turning The Godmother into a plastic surgeon/fashion designer seems... odd. I do like the idea of turning her into a Ursula-like character who demands payment in return for her services, but like you mentioned it has no pay off. Godmother just gets Cinderella's necklace, gives it to Sebastian and... that's it. Again, odd choice.

Also, I guess the summary didn't mention it but the reason midnight is so important at the ball is because Cinderella has to convince Sebastian to marry her before midnight because he has to pick his bride at midnight. It has nothing to do with The Godmother's make-over.

Anyway, I'm also curious about the set, costumes, lighting and dialogue. I heard the dialogue is pretty fun and quite witty, which is nice. I also like the songs they've revealed so far, Far Too Late is beautifully sung. The revolve during the ball also sounds amazing.

I do hope I'll get to chance to visit this production one day (or one that's closer to me lol). I love Carrie Hope Fletcher so I'll be getting the cast recording anyway.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Supertalies, I completely agree with your post! Thanks for also telling me the importance of midnight, even though that's weird it has nothing to do with the Godmother. I also heard the dialogue was witty and that's why I'm excited for it, as well as the revolve. I don't think I will ever get to see the production unless it's on Broadway or some place closer to me, but I think I will get the album.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

First production photo. Prince Sebastian and the Queen:

I like the set and costumes so far!
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I can't stop laughing at the shirtless guys in the background (guards?). They're cute though, particularly the guy behind and to the right of Sebastian. Something about the story and this picture reminds me of that "adult" (I think you know what I mean) parody version of Cinderella I read about on Wikipedia earlier this year or last year, where the fairy godmother was a pimp or something.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

In the most beautiful village in the world, everyone wears skimpy clothing! I know about that adult Cinderella. I don't know if the Fairy Godmother was a pimp, but I think a hobo who found a magic wand. But he does kind of pimp Cinderella out!
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Andrew Lloyd Webber on Cinderella: ‘We’re not looking for a fight – we just want culture back!’
https://www.theguardian.com/stage/2021/ ... or-a-fight
The problem she had with Cinderella, Fennell says, is that “the girl has to change herself in order to be lovable”. She decided to confront the modern pressures put on young women, while keeping “the deliciousness, fun and romance” of the fairytale and its traditional trimmings. “You can’t have Cinderella without the shoe,” she says, “but it’s a man going around essentially deciding his bride on a woman’s shoe size. It’s a little bit problematic!”
While she loves the notion of love at first sight, Fennell admits: “I’m not sure how realistic it is to marry someone the day after you meet them at a party!”
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Ok, it seems Emerald Fennell does get that Cinderella and the Prince fall in love at first sight at the ball (it pretty much is that in the most famous version, the 1697 Charles Perrult one). And I get that maybe she thinks the Prince is finding the right girl, the one he fell for, by her shoe size. But I am unsure of that, because she finds it "problematic". Does she really think the Prince only wants a girl with pretty feet? It's supposed to be that when he finds the girl who fits the slipper, it could only be Cinderella and he'll have found the right girl. It's not how real life works, but it's a fairy tale! And of course Emerald still thinks Cinderella changed herself to become lovable. She doesn't get that Cinderella's fancy-dressed self is what she truly wants to be, her true self! Emerald is supposed to be a smart woman!
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

farerb wrote:The problem she had with Cinderella, Fennell says, is that “the girl has to change herself in order to be lovable”.
How on earth did Cinderella change herself? Just because she wore a fancy gown to the royal ball? That's a social convention. What was she supposed to do? Attend with her scullery maid outfit? They wouldn't have let her in. Did Fennell herself not dress up to attend her show's premiere? :roll: Cinderella never changed how she talked or behaved or acted or anything that was of substance. On the contrary, she stayed true to herself throughout the story. Honestly, these pop feminists have the most superficial understanding of the material they're trying to criticize.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

So true! So well said, Sotiris!
supertalies
Special Edition

Post by supertalies »

It kinda saddens me to hear Emerald Fennell say that, because in my opinion it shows that she doesn't really get the message the fairytale is trying to convey. Which is a big problem if you're gonna be the writer of a big, new version of said fairytale.

The whole thing with Cinderella is that she DOESN'T actually change herself. She's essentially the same person all throughout the story, which is a plot point that the 2015 version beautifully emphasized. Even when her stepfamily treats her badly, she still retains the same personality and the same kindness. Yes, she's beautiful, and it's true that the dress the Godmother gave her enhanced that beauty, but that's not something Cinderella really has to change about herself. I believe the original fairytale (well, the Perrault version) says she even looked beautiful when dressed in rags, which is why the stepsisters hated her even more.

Also, even if we were to say that Cinderella 'changes herself' for the ball, her reasons aren't that she does it 'for a man'. Cinderella doesn't want to go to the ball to get the Prince to marry her. She just wants to wear a nice dress and have a fun night out, just like all the other girls in the land. The Prince's ball was literally the party of the year and all the girls in town were going. And she was invited! If I was Cinderella I'd want to go too, just to see what all the fuss was about lol. But it wasn't about the Prince. Like, even Disney's animated version (and the 2015 remake) understood that because in the movie she doesn't even realize that the guy she's talking to is the Prince. She doesn't care about meeting the Prince, she's just having fun at a party and flirting with this cute guy she met.

I do agree with her that love at first sight isn't very realistic. And a lot of others agree, which is why a lot of later adaptations of the story change this by having Cinderella and the Prince meet before the ball (in Emerald's version she does the same thing: her Cinderella and Prince are childhood friends who are already in love). However, we can't forget that this is a fairytale. Is it really necessary for everything to be realistic? I mean, her version of the story has plently of unrealistic elements lol.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

So well said, supertalies, I completely agree. It is unknown if the stepsisters hate Cinderella in the Perrault fairy tale, it seems to me they just look down on her, but they may hate her for her beauty. The stepmother in that version actually hated her because Cinderella's behavior made her daughters look bad by comparison. I also don't think she was invited to the ball in that version, because the Prince invited people who were well known and Cinderella wasn't.

But everything else you said - so true! The writer needs to understand the fairy tale to make the big, new take on the fairy tale. Also, I believe love at first sight is possible, but I'm a dreamer, lol.
supertalies
Special Edition

Post by supertalies »

Well, the album was released last Friday and naturally I spent my Sunday evening listening to all of it. And overall I... kinda liked it. It's all very tongue in cheek. I definitely don't think it's one of Andrew Lloyd Webber's best works, but there are some songs I ended up liking. "Only You, Lonely You", "I Know I Have a Heart" and "Far Too Late" were three songs that were already released prior to the album's release and are probably my favourites from the album, but I also liked "So Long" (a quirky duet between Cinderella and Prince Sebastian), parts of "Beauty has a Price" (the Godmother's song) and "Unbreakable" (another song for Cinderella). "The Vanquishing of the Three-Headed Sea Witch" is also an... interesting silly song that I've grown to enjoy and is well sung. I understand why they've since cut it from the show though. (Sidenote: Adam Lambert does the singing parts of Prince Charming on the album and he sounds great). A lot of the other songs, however, I didn't really care for.

The cast is definitely very talented, Carrie Hope Fletcher sounds amazing. Ivano Turco as Prince Sebastian is also great, he has a really beautiful voice. I'm sad I probably won't be able to see them perform these roles live. I have a feeling they're great in these roles.

The story also makes a lot more sense if you've heard all the songs, though I'm still not a fan of Emerald Fennell's interpretation of the fairy tale. I liked the Godmother's song, but Cinderella exclaiming that she ''wants to be hot'' at the start of that song just... sounds weird and very un-Cinderella-like to me. Though making this version of Cinderella very different from previous versions of the character was kind of the point, I guess. I did like how Cinderella and Sebastian interact, they have fun banter. Making the Godmother an Ursula-type character is also a cool and interesting idea for the character (though I still wish there was magic involved).

One other thing I noticed is that the show is really not for kids. The album includes a lot of adult dialogue and even some swearing (including the Stepmother seemingly slutshaming one of her daughters and a song which reveals that the Queen and Stepmother used to be showgirls(?) who slept around a lot!). This definitely isn't Disney's version of Cinderella lol.

EDIT: removed a typo that was bothering me
Last edited by supertalies on Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Thanks for your detailed review of the album and your thoughts on it, supertalies! I am glad you liked the album. I can't say the same for me, though I did like some parts of it at least. Oh, and when does the stepmother slut shame her daughter?! I bought the album as well, because I figured the biggest fan of the fairy tale of Cinderella should! :P Haha. So, here's my thoughts that I'm copying and pasting from Broadwayworld:

If anyone is unsure what the whole midnight thing is about, it's that Cinderella won't be able to stand being in her dress and shoes by the time midnight rolls around, and will have to take them off. It's evidenced in the lyrics of "Beauty Has a Price" and Cinderella's dialogue at the end of "The Ball".

I listened to the whole album now, and as a gigantic fan of the fairy tale of Cinderella, I hated this take. It's just so weird, and the bigger thing is it misses the entire message of the original fairy tale, that Cinderella's true inner beauty and true self becomes seen when she gets her transformation. I thought I'd give this a chance and maybe forgive that misstep if the story, dialogue/lyrics, and music were especially well-written and groundbreaking, but nope.

My favorite songs were "Buns 'N' Roses", which was very Renaissance Fair, "Bad Cinderella", which I would probably love if it didn't rip-off "In My Own Little Corner", "So Long", which somehow was memorable, "Unfair" because it was like Baroque, which was when the fairy tale was written, 'Unbreakable",  which was ok, "Only You, Lonely You", which is an actual good ballad, Cinderella's parts of "Beauty Has A Price", "I Know I Have A Heart" which to me is a really great ballad, "The Vanquishing Of The Three-Headed Sea Witch", which was really cool as a rock song sung so well by Adam Lambert, and "Marry For Love", which is beautiful. So, yes, I liked a lot of songs, but still, except for like three of them, they are really just subpar or too weird, and together, none of all these songs weave a story I really want to revisit. I would love to see this on stage like once, but that's it. It's just not very magical. Special shout out to Carrie Hope Fletcher's great acting and singing. She's brilliant. Too bad the show isn't.
Last edited by Disney Duster on Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.