Andrew Lloyd Webber's Cinderella

Discussion of non-Disney entertainment.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Re: Andrew Lloyd Webber's Cinderella

Post by Farerb »

Sometimes I can't believe that the man behind this is the same one behind The Phantom of the Opera.
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney Duster »

I thought I had to buy the song to hear it, then I found it on YouTube and...wow. I had only heard snippets with piano before, but hearing the whole song and like that, I actually really, really liked it. Not loved it, but liked it. I suspect the "Marie Antoinette" commercial was meant to show how this production would look like the "most Cinderella Cinderella" that the writer said it would be, and the British associate Cinderella heavily with 18th century-looking pantomimes. The whole "bad" Cinderella angle is to shake up the versions of Cinderella where she is completely nice that not only have already been done, but a lot of people find boring. I don't think she's really going to be bad, just be rebellious and insubordinate. I appreciate the idea, but I prefer my Cinderella very kind with some sass and bite like Ilene Woods.

So, yes farerb, I wish this had been more like the classical Phantom of the Opera.
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

Disney Duster wrote:I actually really, really liked it. Not loved it, but liked it.
I had to listen to it more than once, because at first I was like "I love this, wait, do I LOVE it? And then listening to it more I was like, I LIKE it." :p
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

UmbrellaFish wrote:I’m really turned off by the chorus of the song being effectively “In My Own Little Corner” from R&H’s Cinderella. If it was only used once, I could live with that... but it’s half the song. I can’t believe he can get away with so blatantly ripping off that famous song...
Yeah, when he rips-off other songs, he usually camouflages them better than that. I'm surprised by how blatant it sounds this time. The music, so far, has been below mediocre. "Far Too Late" is overlong, bland, lacks structure, and a musical identity. "Bad Cinderella" is derivative, screechy, and annoying.
blackcauldron85 wrote:A few of the notes are, but then the part right after that part reminds me of an Irish folk song that I can't remember the name of at the moment...
Is it Auld Lang Syne? Although that's Scottish...
farerb wrote:So Cinderella is Marie Antoinette? I don't understand this. Why would anyone want a "bad" Cinderella?
Yikes! :huh: I don't know if this ad is indicative of the show, but it's plain awful and cringe-worthy. I was kind of excited when this project was first announced, but I don't think it'll be the home run I was expecting. I now have more faith in Sony's Cinderella than this one. :-|
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Haha blackcauldron85, glad we feel similarly.
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

Sotiris wrote:Is it Auld Lang Syne? Although that's Scottish...
I'd have to listen again and think :lol: to tell what song I heard, but I did think, maybe Irish isn't the right nationality!
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

The music video and the lyric video for Bad Cinderella have been released.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Thanks Sotiris! That lyric video was really cool! I love how they used people's drawings, that I guess they asked people to send in? The last picture was pretty beautiful.

So, in the music video they have a marquee with the tagline "Beauty Has a Price." That's...interesting, what that might mean within this musical, but...this whole thing, in the song and that tagline and what else we have heard, about how Cinderella doesn't want to be "pretty"...that was kind of the whole point of the original fairy tale. Call it unfeminist, but there's nothing wrong with a girl wanting to look a certain way as long as it's for herself and not anyone else, and that's what Charles Perrault's and the Brothers Grimm's Cinderella was like. She just wanted the gowns because she liked them. Anyway, I understand trying a different approach to the character, and it may work, it's just that the whole "wanting a dress" thing is how I like my Cinderellas.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

New Song for Prince Sebastian in Cinderella

It's...nice. It's not very good, but it's kinda good.

1. Bad Cinderella
2. Only You, Lonely You
3. Far Too Late

I like the lyrics at the end, about rescuing "lonely me."
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

That’s a very pretty and lush ballad. I like it best out of what we’ve heard so far.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

I though it was quite generic and unmemorable. The actor's vocals were not up to par either. Is it me or does this production feel second rate to you? Usually, ALW's musicals are more prestigious, but this one in both concept and execution seems lacking.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

UmbrellaFish wrote:That’s a very pretty and lush ballad. I like it best out of what we’ve heard so far.
It was hard for me to decide if I like it better than "Bad Cinderella" or not.
Sotiris wrote:I though it was quite generic and unmemorable. The actor's vocals were not up to par either. Is it me or does this production feel second rate to you? Usually, ALW's musicals are more prestigious, but this one in both concept and execution seems lacking.
I thought it was just because of COVID keeping it from how it should be, but I think you're right. But I think the fault lies mostly with the concept. It's not a classic Cinderella. It's a Cinderella where, to quote Webber himself, "everything starts to go a little wrong."
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

There's this video which reveals a little more about the story:
Andrew Lloyd Webber introduces Ivano Turco

And there's this video of the latest release of a song from the show, "I Know I Have a Heart":
Andrew Lloyd Webber & Carrie Hope Fletcher - I Know I Have A Heart (Official Audio)

I think that has got to be the very best song out of the four we have heard so far. It's an actual good song, finally! Actually, make that great song. If only all the songs had been like this!
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Disney Duster wrote:And there's this video of the latest release of a song from the show, "I Know I Have a Heart".
I didn't like it. It's not only bland, but also bombastic. They must have thought that if they have her sing it loud enough, it would make up for its lack of catchy melody and appealing arrangement. It doesn't.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

You know Sotiris, I actually do know what you mean about it being bombastic and her singing loud, but I think most of it has a good melody and I like the bombast I guess! I listened to it again, and I still do like it. Different strokes!
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

I usually like ALW's work (I even enjoyed last year's "Beautiful Ghosts"), but none of his songs for Cinderella do it for me. Out of the ones released thus far, "Far Too Late" is my favorite, but that's not saying much.
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

I know a lot of people on Broadway message boards liked this song, but I am not one of them. I agree with Sotiris, it is bland.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Interesting to hear a lot of people liked it but you two didn't and found it bland. Well, different strokes. And I did like "Beautiful Ghosts" as well!
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Casting Complete for Andrew Lloyd Webber, Emerald Fennell, and David Zippel’s West End Cinderella Musical
https://www.playbill.com/article/castin ... la-musical
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

A sneak peek at more information about what the show will be like!:
Emerald Fennell & Andrew Lloyd Webber introduce Cinderella

What excites me for this, perhaps most of all, is that Emerald Fennell wrote the book, and she won Best Original Screenplay at the last Oscars! I loved Promising Young Woman, too! And I'm also excited that they decided to keep to the original fairy tale beats, and even a very storybook land. I'm very curious about the megalomaniacal Fairy Godmother!!!