Andrew Lloyd Webber's Cinderella

Discussion of non-Disney entertainment.
supertalies
Special Edition

Re: Andrew Lloyd Webber's Cinderella

Post by supertalies »

I completely understand why you didn't like it. Like I said before I'm also not a fan of this take on the fairytale. I really disagree with some of choices Emerald Fennell made and agree that this version of the story misses the entire original message of the original fairy tale. I really had to get past it myself to even be able to enjoy the story this show/album was telling. It's definitely not the magical show I was expecting. However, once I realised this was just a weird and wacky version loosely based on the Cinderella story I was able to enjoy it a bit more. It's not an album I'm gonna be revisiting a lot though.

Also I originally didn't realise "Bad Cinderella" borrowed from "In My Own Little Corner", but I've seen others mention it and now I can't unhear it lol. I know it's probably intentional, but given how many times "Bad Cinderella" is reprised in the show it's weird that he'd use that particular song to reference another well known musical version of this story.

Oh and I'm not sure which song it is and I can't find the lyrics back this quickly but I believe in one of the songs the Stepmother says her daughter sleeps around too much. So not necessarily outright slutshaming, but it's definitely implied (and confirmed when the other guys tell Sebastian ''they got there first'' with the stepsister).
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney Duster »

I am glad we feel the same about Emerald Fennell's new take. I have to admit, some parts of the album I enjoyed. It's just as a whole I hated it. I will revisit it occasionally, but only for a few songs. I don't really wanna listen to the whole thing again unless I'm playing it for somebody else. I'm glad you enjoyed it more than I did at least.

Haha, I didn't realize it sounded like "In My Own Little Corner" until someone said it as well, and now I can't unhear it just like you!

Hm...I see the about the stepmother. I'd have to listen to her songs to get it fully I guess, but it makes sense that evil woman would be mean to her daughters. Haha, I did like the "we got there first" from the men actually!
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

The trailer is out. Also, the production shut down from a positive case of Covid among the cast. It will be back August 18th. The trailer reveals Cinderella's ball look in the end:
Andrew Lloyd Webber's Cinderella
TheSequelOfDisney
Signature Collection

Post by TheSequelOfDisney »

I listened to Act I of this earlier in the week and I can't say I enjoyed it all that much. Some of the lyrics are cringey, and when Cinderella sang, "I want to be hot," I decided that I don't really need to hear the rest of it. I'll stick with the Disney, R&H, and Sondheim versions to get my Cinderella fix.
The Divulgations of One Desmond Leica: http://desmondleica.wordpress.com/
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Haha. Well, all those other Cinderellas certainly are better. Though I do think there are three great songs in Act II, "I Know I Have a Heart", "The Vanquishing of the Three-Headed Sea Witch", and "Marry for Love".
supertalies
Special Edition

Post by supertalies »

The premiere was last week and the show has actually been getting a lot of positive reviews. So I guess it does work better when you actually see it.
TheSequelOfDisney wrote:Some of the lyrics are cringey, and when Cinderella sang, "I want to be hot," I decided that I don't really need to hear the rest of it.
Haha, yeah this is clearly not David Zippel's strongest work. Some of the lyrical choices are... weird. That particular lyric where Cinderella says she ''wants to be hot'' also made me cringe when I first heard it (I also pointed it out in my mini-review of the soundtrack). This is definitely different from other Cinderella retellings lol.

However, like Disney Duster already pointed out, Act II does have some fun songs that I would definitely check out if you ever feel like it.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I'm surprised this is getting such good reviews. It sounded like a 2-3 star show not a 4-5 star show. But I'm happy for it!
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Andrew Lloyd Webber's Cinderella to close in the West End
https://www.whatsonstage.com/london-the ... 56417.html
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Does that mean this mediocre, non-magical show was seen as mediocre by most people?
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

ALW is working with a different production company for the Broadway show, so it'll be interesting to see what changes there might be between the two shows.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I am interested in any changes, too.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Andrew Lloyd Webber Booed After Calling His ‘Cinderella’ Musical a ‘Costly Mistake’ During Final Curtain Call
https://variety.com/2022/theater/news/a ... 235291917/

Andrew Lloyd Webber Says ‘Costly Mistake’ Comments About ‘Cinderella’ Were Misunderstood
https://variety.com/2022/theater/news/a ... 235292493/
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Serves him right.
supertalies
Special Edition

Post by supertalies »

Well, it's coming to Broadway next year! And with a new title, the show is now called Bad Cinderella. Linedy Genao is set to star as Cinderella. She said on Instagram she knew she was gonna be the lead since Febuary 2022, long before the UK production was even announced to close.

Lloyd Webber’s ‘Bad Cinderella’ to Open on Broadway in March
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/10/03/thea ... adway.html

The production will feature some new songs that weren't in the original production and some changes to the existing score and book. They released the new version of the song 'Bad Cinderella', which includes some lyrical changes. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFZ0ZQ6DWpo
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

‘Bad Cinderella’ to Close on Broadway This Summer
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/lifes ... 235484902/
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

I feel bad for the cast and crew who are out of work. I was actually pretty surprised he brought this to Broadway after the West End production was such a disaster. Apparently, when Bad Cinderella closes it will be the first time since 1979 that Andrew Lloyd Webber does not have a show on Broadway.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I also feel bad for the cast and crew, mostly because they were in a show that was so lambasted by critics, and now its closing. I also feel bad for Andrew. Did he really create the Cinderella he wanted to create? And I feel bad for the world - it could have gotten and excellent version of Cinderella that was both faithful to the fairy tale and had gorgeous Lloyd Webber music, but alas.