Andrew Lloyd Webber's Cinderella

Discussion of non-Disney entertainment.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Andrew Lloyd Webber's Cinderella

Post by Sotiris »

Andrew Lloyd Webber is developing a contemporary musical stage version of Cinderella, Deadline has confirmed. The prolific composer is collaborating with playwright/screenwriter Tom MacRae and writer/actress Emerald Fennell. The planned Cinderella would update the classic fairy tale to feature a modern heroine in the contemporary re-telling. Lloyd Webber expects to have his score for the new Cinderella finished by the end of this year.
Source: https://deadline.com/2018/09/andrew-llo ... 202463897/
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Disney Duster

Re: Andrew Lloyd Webber's Cinderella

Post by Disney Duster »

HOLY SH*T YAY! My second favorite musical composer doing Cinderella!

Boo...it's a modern re-telling...

This is exciting because the music could be very, very gorgeous, and be one of, if not, the best scores the story ever had. But on the other hand, Cinderella works best and most beautifully set no later than the 19th century...

By the way thank you Sotiris for this thrilling news!!!

HEY I just thought of something...do you think what they mean is this will only be contemporary in some of what occurs and how they tell the story, not in setting?

EDIT: WELL...I discovered a longer article...and it sounds like it will be a modern setting...here it is:

Andrew Lloyd Webber Plans New 'Cinderella' Musical Project (Exclusive)

If you read the article, he says it will not be a fairy tale kingdom (boo) but not a recognizable modern place (yay?). It also says it will be "away from the world of magic and fairy godmothers." That's my freaking favorite part, so now I'm way less interested in this...and yet...there is some hope because it said it would follow "every piece of the story", so...STILL EXCITED!!!
Last edited by Disney Duster on Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I don't think it'll top the music from Rodgers & Hammerstein's Cinderella, but I'm definitely looking forward to this.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I think Webber's melodies trump anything I've heard from Rodgers and Hammerstein. I think that's also an unpopular opinion, lol, so feel free to disagree. And don't get me wrong, I love and appreciate Rogers and Hammerstein's version. But I like Webber's music more so I wish he applied his music to a past-set fairy godmother-filled version. I'm still hopeful.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

I love Webber's work (not so much the man himself) so this ought to be interesting if nothing else. We'll see if it ends up topping Rodgers & Hammerstein's Cinderella.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I'm glad you like his work, and I agree, at least this will be interesting. But why do you not like Andrew Lloyd Webber himself? I'm quite curious.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Disney Duster wrote:I'm glad you like his work, and I agree, at least this will be interesting. But why do you not like Andrew Lloyd Webber himself? I'm quite curious.
He's not good to the women in his life. I can't respect him as a person for that.
ImageImage
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Oh. He's like that? That is sad. :(

I realized last night, Rodgers and Hammerstein did Cinderella, Sondheim did Cinderella, and those are the two biggest musical theatre greats. Only one was left - Webber. Well, and Stephen Schwartz, but he's not as big as the other three.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

I never realized that three of Broadway's greats have all adapted Cinderella in some shape or format. I love Schwartz's work so I wouldn't mind seeing his take on Cinderella either.
ImageImage
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I only know Schwartz's Pippin! and Wicked. If he did Cinderella like Wicked I would love it.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Disney Duster wrote:I only know Schwartz's Pippin! and Wicked. If he did Cinderella like Wicked I would love it.
Besides Pocahontas, Hunchback, and Enchanted (all of which he did with Menken) he is mainly known for The Prince of Egypt, which if I'm correct, is also coming to Broadway very soon. He was supposed to do songs for Mulan but because he was working on The Prince of Egypt for Dreamworks, he was fired. Only one of his songs from Mulan still exists today called "Written in Stone" which is one of my favorite deleted Disney songs.
ImageImage
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Oh I forgot about Schwartz's Disney stuff. But he just did lyrics, right? I had never heard that deleted Mulan song before. It's pretty nice.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

I think so, but I've seen interviews with Menken about his collab with Schwartz and how they had some friendly "clashes" (or friction which might be the more appropriate word) during songwriting because both worked as composers and lyricists. So it was difficult for both of them to stay in their respective lanes, so I think they sometimes ended up blending roles.
ImageImage
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Oh. Haha interesting.

EDIT: Oh, I forgot to say, I have seen The Prince of Egypt. But I saw it just when I was young and I forget how the music goes.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

OMG SUCH AMAZING NEWS!!!!!

Ok, well first of all, because of this project coming, I thought I had to hurry up and finish my own version of Cinderella I want to make, which is a book and CD, so my project wouldn't get lost against his. But now that this Webber project is underway, I guess there's no use trying to get mine out first, so I can take my time. Also, mine is a book with music, so it will be in bookstores, not on the stage or Netflix, and also, Webber's show is more humorous while mine is more serious.

So, now the news! There is this article:
‘Cinderella’ musical gives Prince Charming a gay twist

It basically says the musical had a workshop in London at the Other Palace theatre, and more info on the plot, like that Cinderella will be more feisty and fiery, she will fall in love with an adorable oddball named Sebastian, she doesn't need the prince, and the prince will fall in love with the duke. But what has excited me immensely is some other news. I mean, I was really upset when Andrew Lloyd Webber said:
"It takes it away from the world of magic and fairy godmothers, but it's not going to be anywhere nearly as modern as, say, Los Angeles in 2023."
But now this article is saying:
It’s still set in the land of castles and fairy godmothers.
So YAAAAAAAY!!! :dance:

And GET THIS, GUYS:
So far, so very good. The score is Lloyd Webber at his most melodic, Zippel’s lyrics are funny and Fennell’s script witty and poignant, evoking, one person says, the best of the classic Disney movies.
:float:

There is one more article, revealing the cast of the workshop, here:
Cast Revealed For Workshop of Andrew Lloyd Webber's Modern CINDERELLA Re-Telling

Some of the character names are Sebastian and Marie, which is weird, because the 2013 Rodgers + Hammerstein's Cinderella on Broadway had Sebastian, the prince's royal advisor, and Marie, the fairy godmother.

They say the show is expected to play on the West End and move to Broadway, but that it is also possible it could be a Netflix series...?!
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

The musical is coming to Broadway next year.
During an interview on UK’s Good Morning Britain (watch it below) this week, the Cats composer, asked about his unrelenting work habits, said, “I’ve got a new version of Cinderella that’s opening on Broadway next year.”
Source: https://deadline.com/2019/07/andrew-llo ... 202647672/
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Good to know, thanks Sotiris! I am surprised it isn't going to the West End first though!
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Andrew Lloyd Webber's Cinderella musical to have West End premiere in September 2020
https://www.whatsonstage.com/london-the ... 50671.html
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Thanks for the news Sotiris. I love that Webber said he wanted to write his own version of Cinderella for a long time.
DisneyFan97
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyFan97 »

I REALLY want to see this !! :D :)

Right now i am trying( VERY HARD) to decide which would be a the nicest way to spend an evening of my upcoming fall 2020 London vecation, Watching this or Frozen in the West End :shock: :o :( :? :o :shock:

Which do you think would be the better theater experience ?

I don’t my dad wants to pay for more than two musicals and i am already seeing Hello, Dolly! Since i was really sad i missed the Broadway revial with Bette Middler.

But than agian Stockholm is VERY FAR away from London so ut might have been a kind of Impossible dream :huh: Well no using crying over spilled milk, i will finally se Hello,Dolly ! done by a pefresional cast LIVE :D And that’s the most imporant thing !! :) :D :)