DVDizzy.com

Home | Reviews | Schedule | Cover Art | Search The Site
DVDizzy.com Top Stories:

It is currently Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:33 pm 
Platinum Edition

Chris Sanders is directing his first live-action movie.

Quote:
Fox also said The Call of the Wild from director Chris Sanders will open wide on December 25, 2019. Erwin Stoff produces from Michael Green’s script. Call of the Wild is a hybrid film based on Jack London’s novel. Technoprops, a VR production company acquired by Fox and which worked on The Jungle Book, is part of the production.
Source: https://deadline.com/2017/10/channing-t ... 202187558/

Quote:
Harrison Ford is in negotiations to star in “Call of the Wild,” Variety has learned. If a deal is reached, the “Star Wars” actor will play John Thornton, a prospector braving the Yukon on the hunt for gold. The big-budget film is being adapted by 20th Century Fox from the classic 1903 Jack London novel about the Klondike gold rush of the 1890s.

Chris Sanders (“The Croods”) is directing the film, which will have a script by Michael Green (“Logan”). Erwin Stoff is producing with Diana Pokorny serving as executive producer and Ryan Stafford working as co-producer. Steve Asbell will oversee the production for Fox. Production starts in early September. The film will rely heavily on the work of Technoprops, a special effects studio that was purchased by Fox in 2017 and whose founder, Glenn Derry, had previously worked on “Avatar.”
Source: https://variety.com/2018/film/news/harr ... 202872965/

Quote:
Dan Stevens is teaming up with Harrison Ford in 20th Century Fox’s “Call of the Wild.” It’s unclear what role he will play in the adventure film, but it is said to be a significant one. Ford is playing John Thornton, a prospector searching for gold in the unforgiving Yukon.

The film will be shot in California, both on location and on sound stages where it will use cutting edge digital technology that will help the filmmakers create the dog-sled racing sequences. Technoprops, a special effects studio that was purchased by Fox in 2017 and rechristened Fox VFX Lab, will work on bringing the dogs life. Its founder, Glenn Derry, is no stranger to creature creation having previously worked on “Avatar” and “Jungle Book.”
Source: https://variety.com/2018/film/news/dan- ... 202883214/

Quote:
Colin Woodell is joining Harrison Ford and Dan Stevens in 20th Century Fox’s “Call of the Wild.” Ford is playing John Thornton, a prospector searching for gold in the unforgiving Yukon.
Source: https://variety.com/2018/film/news/call ... 202922653/

Quote:
“The Intouchables” star Omar Sy is set to join Harrison Ford and Dan Stevens in “Call of the Wild,” sources tell Variety.
Source: https://variety.com/2018/film/news/call ... 202940465/

Quote:
Karen Gillan has joined Harrison Ford and Dan Stevens in Call of the Wild, the 20th Century Fox adaptation of Jack London’s famous 1903 adventure novel set during the Klondike Gold Rush. Gillan will play the role of Mercedes in the pic, which was adapted by Logan scribe Michael Green.
Source: https://deadline.com/2018/09/karen-gill ... 202472020/

Quote:
Cara Gee, who is best known for her role in the Syfy series The Expanse, is joining Fox's adaptation of The Call of the Wild.
Source: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/ ... ld-1159056

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:48 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

Call me selfish but I cannot help but get grumpy every time I find that a great animation director is dabbling in live-action instead of making his/her next mind-bogglingly awesome animated film. :oops: I wouldn’t be so grouchy if great live-action directors would regularly contribute their own services to the animation realm, but that is a rarity. Was Rango the last mainstream animated film to be helmed by a live-action direcotr?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:06 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

Sing was directed by a live-action director, Garth Jennings. Wes Anderson released his second stop-motion animated film this year. The upcoming animated Grinch movie is being directed by Scott Mosier, who has a live-action background. Jason Reitman was also attached to direct an animated film at DreamWorks, although there has been no news and updates for a few years. Guillermo del Toro wanted to direct a stop-motion adaptation of "Pinocchio" and even wrote a script with the creator of "Over the Garden Wall." Sadly, he revealed it's not happening anytime soon. But he's got his Trollhunters show, so he still dabbles in animation.

So, there have been a few who have made the jump. But I agree that it would be neat to see more give it a go.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:26 pm 
Platinum Edition

Jules wrote:
Call me selfish but I cannot help but get grumpy every time I find that a great animation director is dabbling in live-action instead of making his/her next mind-bogglingly awesome animated film.

What people in the animation community refuse to acknowledge is how creatively restrictive it can be to only direct animated movies in Hollywood. Literally all animated movies here have to be family-friendly and belong to the comedy-adventure genre. Do you honestly believe any big animation studio would touch a serious period piece about the Klondike Gold Rush that doesn't feature any gags or funny sidecicks? Even if such a movie was able to be made by some miracle as an indie, it would be really difficult securing a distributor. The best case scenario would be a very limited theatrical release. The industry and culture surrounding animation is what's forcing animation directors to venture into live-action in order to be able to tell the stories they want that don't fit into the kiddie sandbox.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:28 pm 
Platinum Edition

I've never really thought of it that way, Sotiris. Being in animation, especially in America, must be pretty restricting in terms of subject matter.

Anne-Marie ~ "Ciao Adios"
Nicki Minaj ~ "Va Va Voom"

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:19 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

I think another reason is because animation directors aren't merely inspired by animation. They watch and are influenced by live-action films, so I can understand that desire of wanting to work in the same medium as Spielberg and Scorsese.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:33 pm 
Platinum Edition

The poster and trailer have been released. It looks like a paint-by-the-numbers, family-friendly dog movie. A little on the dull side. The CG for the dog looks off. His movements and expressions are too cartoony at times which ruins the illusion. Lady and the Tramp looked better in that department. It's clear that a real dog wasn't used in the film, or at least not extensively. The landscapes are breathtaking though.

Source: https://www.facebook.com/CallOfTheWildM ... 115515707/

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:22 pm 
Platinum Edition

This looks great!! I think that Buck's adorable!!!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:45 am 
Platinum Edition

It's too obvious that they didn't use a real dog and it looks fake. I agree with Sotiris.