Kubo and the Two Strings (Laika)

Discussion of non-Disney entertainment.
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Kubo and the Two Strings (Laika)

Post by Disney's Divinity »

(posting here instead of creating a whole new thread--SPOILERS)

Finally saw Kubo today and I’ll say I didn’t like it as much as their first 3 films, but I still enjoyed it. I guess I didn’t really get what the point was of looking for the armor except that it gave the characters time to bond over a roadtrip? And I didn’t care for Kubo’s design; I wonder if his chin came into a more defined point, if it would have been better? Eh. Kubo is actually the first Laika protagonist I find kind of dull, although he had a couple of good scenes, particularly the ending when he was talking to the lantern.

I enjoyed how they handled the grandfather/Moon King, and it reminded me of the grandmother/goddess in Song of the Sea. I’d only say that I think the dialogue in the scene where they confront each other could’ve been better written to get everything across. I’m just assuming that the reason the grandfather and sisters actually wanted to kill Kubo’s mother (their daughter and sister, respectively) was to put her out of the misery a mortal experiences (physical suffering, death, etc.)? Of course, she wasn’t actually killed until after she’d killed one of her sisters, so maybe they only outright killed her once she’d crossed a line? I only wonder about that because they wanted to “save” Kubo and didn’t even kill Kubo’s father (who they blamed for “killing” Kubo’s mother by making her mortal), just transformed him. For some reason I couldn’t help seeing a metaphor for a child being born out of wedlock here going by the family’s reaction, with Kubo being able to be saved while the mother is “fallen” (and the father’s words about being disgraced, and telling Kubo to feel the “humiliation” of being mortal, etc.) At least that was my take-away—that they would’ve wanted Kubo’s mother to return to the heavens with them, too, if she wasn’t beyond their help, but they could save Kubo.

I loved the scene of the grandfather being told who he is by the townsfolk. My other favorite scene is Monkey telling Kubo how she/his mother and his father met. And I loved the end credits sequence and song. Not like, say, with Big Hero 6, where it made me realize how much better the characters would look hand-drawn; no, I thought the characters looked much better in-film than drawn, but I did find the sequence/song had the perfect mood for ending the film.

I was impressed with Matthew McConaughey. I wasn’t happy he was going to be in the film (never been a fan and I assumed he would be one of those cash-in celebrity voices who can’t voice-act very well), but he did a really great job. Tbh, I don’t even think I’d know it was him if I had seen the film without reading the cast list. I enjoyed Beetle and I liked Kubo’s mom much more once she became Monkey. Btw, I liked the little personality they gave the various townsfolk. I recognized the actress playing the old woman Kubo is friends with immediately. I’ve always liked her and she does have a very expressive voice.

I’d say this, Kung Fu Panda 3, and Moana are my favorite 3 animated films this year (that I’ve seen so far). I’ll definitely be picking up all three films on Blu-Ray.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Re: ParaNorman (August 2012)

Post by ajmrowland »

I love everything Laika puts out. So underrated.
blackcauldron85

Re: Kubo and the Two Strings (Laika)

Post by blackcauldron85 »

How ‘Kubo And The Two Strings’ Went From ‘Pure Heaven’ To Nearly Breaking Creator Shannon Tindle
https://www.cartoonbrew.com/feature-fil ... 15718.html
Disney's Divinity

Re: Kubo and the Two Strings (Laika)

Post by Disney's Divinity »

That's interesting. I did always find the parts with the mother at the beginning and the grandfather at the end to be the best ones (well, that and the older woman Kubo was friends with). I still like the movie. Missing Link is the only one of their films I wasn't able to get into, Coraline and The Boxtrolls I love, Kubo and ParaNorman I enjoy and think are great films objectively.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"