Kung Fu Panda

Discussion of non-Disney entertainment.
akhenaten
Anniversary Edition

Kung Fu Panda

Post by akhenaten »

i just saw this fun movie. this is the first dreamworks animated film that didnt feel like dreamworks at all..non of that obnnoxious,self absorbed attitude of previous dreamworks outing.this was actually fun. the character animation is excellent and the background is beautiful to look at.the most interesting character,design and vocal wise is the old kung fu master oogway and po the panda himself. but character development for the side characters r weak.the miscellaneous character designs of the villagers reminds me of the cute citizens in chicken little. i wouldve enjoyed it more if not for the over slapstick jokes. so..it was fun..but not memorable...save by the graphics and oriental setting.the 2dish intro is beautiful..reminiscent of samurai jack.

can't wait to see wall-e and bolt.

2.5/5
do you still wait for me Dream Giver?
Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

First things first, I don't like DreamWorks Animation... sorta like Amy. Yet I do my best to evaluate their films fairly when I see them, and prevent my personal bias from blinding me to their merits. Unfortunately, the said bias is difficult to eliminate, and I always simultaneously enjoy and dislike DreamWorks films. I enjoy them because they're entertaining. I have to admit it. Despite normally stating that I dislike the Shrek films, I was perfectly entertained when I watched them. I dislike them for their DreamWorks label. It defies logic, and yet it's something I can't really help. I wish I didn't have these ambivalent feelings when it comes to this studio. :( Does anyone else feel the same way? Even if DreamWorks films are the best of the best, I'll still feel a bit uneasy and sad whilst watching them.

Kung Fu Panda, looked like typical DreamWorks fare from the trailer - stupid, dumb, and with the misconception that it's cool. However, Jerry Beck said that it's awesome, so I trust him. Moreover, I hear it's been getting extremely positive reviews from critics.
akkhy wrote:the 2dish intro is beautiful..reminiscent of samurai jack.
According to Jim Hill that was made by James Baxter Animation.
akhenaten
Anniversary Edition

Post by akhenaten »

jerry beck might have been exaggerating...its not awesome.its just different from the dreamworks stable.you'll see :)
do you still wait for me Dream Giver?
DarthPrime
Collector's Edition

Post by DarthPrime »

I think Kung Fu Panda looks great. I enjoyed the Shrek films, but found 3 to be very weak. The other films are hit and miss, mostly miss with Dreamworks.

The "skadoosh" scene in the previews/trailer always makes me smile or laugh.
Prudence
Anniversary Edition

Post by Prudence »

Oh, I enjoyed it for what it was. It had good amounts of humor, sweetness, and depth, and it is now my second favorite CGI Dreamworks film. JAMES HONG (Chi Fu from Mulan) stole the show for me as Po's noodle obsessed father!
That's hot.
Escapay
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Escapay »

Jules wrote:I dislike them for their DreamWorks label. It defies logic, and yet it's something I can't really help.
Similarly...from David Koenig's Mouse Under Glass:

-----
As the story goes, a few months before The Lion King was released, Warner Bros. held two test screenings of footage from its then-in-progress Thumbelina. Audience reaction to the first screening was flat. For the second test, though, Warners reportedly replaced its company logo with the Disney name before the exact same clips. Test Scores skyrocketed.
-----

It's amazing what one name can mean to an audience.

Albert
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
Prudence
Anniversary Edition

Post by Prudence »

Escapay wrote:
Jules wrote:I dislike them for their DreamWorks label. It defies logic, and yet it's something I can't really help.
Similarly...from David Koenig's Mouse Under Glass:

-----
As the story goes, a few months before The Lion King was released, Warner Bros. held two test screenings of footage from its then-in-progress Thumbelina. Audience reaction to the first screening was flat. For the second test, though, Warners reportedly replaced its company logo with the Disney name before the exact same clips. Test Scores skyrocketed.
-----

It's amazing what one name can mean to an audience.

Albert
That's ridiculous.
That's hot.
PeterPanfan
Diamond Edition

Post by PeterPanfan »

Even though I do feel Disney is superior to all other animated companies, I find that to be a little hard to believe.

To contribute to the topic at hand, I did not enjoy Kung Fu Panda. It actually bored me, and I wanted to leave the theatre. I'm not saying this because I dislike the company (which I do), I'm saying this because it seriously could not keep my attention or interest.
Escapay

Post by Escapay »

Panfan wrote:Even though I do feel Disney is superior to all other animated companies, I find that to be a little hard to believe.
I dunno, some people are so fiercely loyal to a brand that if they're confronted with something that could be that brand, and only has the brand name to support it, they'll believe it's that brand. For example, there was an episode of "Roseanne" where Darlene tells Roseanne that she forgot to get her cereal (some brand name, for the sake of an example, I'll say "Froot Loops"). Then Roseanne tells her she never bought her Froot Loops, she simply buys the cheaper store brand and continually refills the Froot Loops box they have, making Darlene believe that they've always gotten Froot Loops and not knowing the difference.

Also, I remember watching a 20/20 special where they served 5 different types of water, and asked the focus group to rank which was best and which was worst, then revealed what the waters really were (some thought that the regular tap water actually tasted better than one of the special bottled waters). Then they did the same with coffee, but purposely switched a couple brand names to see how the focus group would judge a Starbucks coffee versus an instant coffee versus Wawa coffee, etc.

And of course, there's the famous Pepsi Challenge, where taste testers are given two cups: one Coke, and one Pepsi, and told to try both and say which they prefer (and which they think it is) without knowing which one they had. While Pepsi often edits its commercials for it to be in favor of their product, some Coke drinkers are surprised when they learn they actually "preferred" Pepsi when the reveal is made.

ETA:

I found an excerpt from this article:

Walt Disney Knew How to Get the Word Out by Stephen Schochet

5) What's In A Name?: Originally the studio started in 1923 was called the Disney Brothers. The younger, temperamental and risk-taking Walt was in charge of the creative direction, while the older and more cautious Roy, a former bank teller, kept the books. For forty-three years their partnership was a combination of love, ferocious arguments and give and take. In 1926 Walt convinced Roy that they should change the name of their enterprise to Walt Disney, it would make their products more identifiable. A bemused Roy went along with it, sensing his sibling's greater need for fame. The name Walt Disney remained associated with family entertainment even after both brothers passed on.

In 1994 Warner Bros. had high hopes for a feature cartoon called Thumbelina. But preview audiences found it boring, a reaction that bewildered disappointed studio executives. A week later they showed it again with a small change: The exact same film said Walt Disney Presents in the opening credits. The test scores went way up and several people in the audience inquired where they could buy Thumbelina merchandise.

And a page in Jerry Beck's The Animated Movie Guide cites the incident as well, to John Horn of the Los Angeles Times.

Albert
WIST #60:

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
BelleGirl
Anniversary Edition

Post by BelleGirl »

Strange... I consider myself a Disney fan but there are (animated) movies from Disney I do find boring despite the true and trusted brand name. I cannot imagine that people really will find a movie at once more entertaining if you put another company's name on it.

The example of the cereal is interesting but I don't think it really works as a comparison. The cheaper brand cereal may taste just as good as the more expensive one - really how much difference in taste can there be?

Maybe the more enthousiastic response of the test-audience on believing Thumbelina was from Disney was only an initial response?
Escapay

Post by Escapay »

BelleGirl wrote:The example of the cereal is interesting but I don't think it really works as a comparison. The cheaper brand cereal may taste just as good as the more expensive one - really how much difference in taste can there be?
There is a noticeable difference when you *know* it's two separate things. But if you're not aware of it, and basing it entirely on which label it comes with, you don't notice a thing.

The audience that saw Thumbelina with the Warner logo would already know it's not Disney, thus their expectations could already be lowered. But then the audience that saw it with the Disney logo would immediately associate with past Disney films and believe it would be just as good.

Similarly with the cereal example, if Darlene had known all this time that she was getting store-brand Fruit Wheels (making up a name) instead of Kellogg's Froot Loops, she'd taste the difference. But since all she knew was that Froot Loop-looking cereal pieces were coming out of a box with the Froot Loop brand name, she believed it was the same thing.

Also, remember the old Dr. Pepper/Diet Dr. Pepper commercials? The person would say how they like regular Dr. Pepper, be given what they believe is regular Dr. Pepper, then be totally surprised when they find out they've been drinking Diet Dr. Pepper. It's the same comparison. ;)

Albert
WIST #60:

WIST #61:
JiminyCrick91
Platinum Edition

Post by JiminyCrick91 »

Escapay wrote: And of course, there's the famous Pepsi Challenge, where taste testers are given two cups: one Coke, and one Pepsi, and told to try both and say which they prefer (and which they think it is) without knowing which one they had. While Pepsi often edits its commercials for it to be in favor of their product, some Coke drinkers are surprised when they learn they actually "preferred" Pepsi when the reveal is made.
My dad says he did that once. When asked what he liked better he said 'This one's Coke; that one's Pepsi. I like this one better" (about the Coke)..... he did not get paid. :lol:

Also I saw Kung Fu Panda the other day in IMAX (then Get Smart in a normal place then 21 in a discount place but never mind that) and I think it's the best thing to come from DW in years. I expected around Madagascar and got something better than Shrek 2 (which I like best of all the Shrek media). Po's dad (why is he a goose? :lol: ), Shifu, Oogway and Mantis did indeed steal the show and Jack Black was likeable, funny and sweet. I will surly buy the DVD. :)

Not counting 2-D, shorts, TV, or Aardman this is my DreamWorks list...

1. Kung Fu Panda
2. Shrek 2
3. Over the Hedge
4. Bee Movie
5. Shrek
6. Madagascar
7. Shrek the Third
8. Antz
9. Shark Tale

...I think. :P
BelleGirl
Anniversary Edition

Post by BelleGirl »

Escapay wrote:
The audience that saw Thumbelina with the Warner logo would already know it's not Disney, thus their expectations could already be lowered. But then the audience that saw it with the Disney logo would immediately associate with past Disney films and believe it would be just as good.

Albert
Yes, but while watching the film they would not continue to be enthousiastic about it only because they thougth it was made by Disney? I mean, there is a difference between a movie and cereals/coke :wink:

Haven't been able to see Kung Fu Panda (soon te be released here) not sure I want to see it.

My top five from Dreamworks:
1. Chicken Run
2. Curse of the Were-rabbit
3. Antz
4. Flushed Away
5. Prince of Egypt.

The movies made with Aardman are prominent in this list I know - I think Aardman has the most fresh stories.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

BelleGirl wrote:Strange... I consider myself a Disney fan but there are (animated) movies from Disney I do find boring despite the true and trusted brand name. I cannot imagine that people really will find a movie at once more entertaining if you put another company's name on it.
I find that strange as well, considering I usually like or hate a movie regardless of the "brand" name. But, then, I'm the type of person who doesn't understand why people love gold so much, other than the fact that it's expensive. And how would the average child know the difference between Disney, Dreamworks and Warner Bros. anyway?

That's sad to hear though, as I consider Thumbelina a very well-done film (yes, there are cringe-worthy moments, but it's great for the most part). While--going along with the topic--I dislike Dreamworks for the most part, they've had a couple good movies and, surprisingly, the stop-motion ones are usually the most interesting. The Prince of Egypt is one of my favorite animated films of all time (not because it's Biblical, if you're wondering, it's just so well-done). Jochebed's lullaby is particularly poignant.

I plan to see Kung Fu Panda maybe once it comes to DirectTV for 3.99. I wouldn't pay any more than that.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Isidour
Diamond Edition

Post by Isidour »

not a great movie but it made me laugh more than twice, so I'll think that for me is a 4 of 5
PixarFan2006
Signature Collection

Post by PixarFan2006 »

I think I will wait for this to come out to rent.
Disney's Divinity

Re: kung fu panda reviews

Anyone seen the commercials for Kung Fu Panda 3 yet? I have to admit my excitement has really been punctured. The stuff about Po teaching a bunch of kids does not interest me and the villain doesn't look too great after Tai Lung and Lord Shen. Going by the past two, it's almost like an animated superhero franchise, where how good or bad the villain is really impacts the quality of the whole film, which is why I'm worried.

I was looking around and I'm not sure I've talked much about KFP (at least not in any of the threads I found when searching). I have to admit, I am not a fan of Po/Jack Black at all, but somehow I managed to love KFP and KFP2 despite him. Oogway is my favorite character from this series, but I do like most of the characters, even if it's disappointing how flat 4 of the 'Furious Five' are. The only thing that bothered me about KFP2 was that Shifu was almost entirely absent, when his relationship with Po was the most entertaining aspect of the first film.

Strong:
1. The Prince of Egypt
2. Kung Fu Panda
3. Chicken Run
4. Kung Fu Panda 2
5. Wallace & Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit
6. Rise of the Guardians
7. Madagascar 3: Europe's Most Wanted
8. Shrek 2

Good:
9. The Road to El Dorado
10. How to Train Your Dragon
11. Madagascar
12. The Croods
13. Megamind

Okay...:
14. Antz
15. Shrek
16. Sinbad: Legend of the Seven Seas
17. Spirit: Stallion of Cimarron
18. How to Train Your Dragon 2
19. Flushed Away
20. Monsters vs. Aliens
21. Joseph: King of Dreams

Bad:
22. Puss in Boots
23. Madagascar 2: Escape 2 Africa

WTF Mindwreckingly Awful:
24. Shrek Forever After
25. Shrek 3
26. Shark Tale

The only movie of theirs I haven't seen that I want to is Penguins of Madagascar (I know, I know). I feel bad ranking Sinbad so low. The animation (outside of those awful 3D monsters--even worse than the whales in Treasure Planet, heaven have mercy) is pretty gorgeous and I love the character designs. In a better film, Eris would have been a top tier villainess, she was so close. The opening of her entering through the galaxy and the scene of her taking the Book are my favorite moments in the film--beautiful. The only character I don't like is the girl ping-ponged between Proteus and Sinbad.
Disney's Divinity

KFP3 looks to be doing nicely at the box office. This review and the fact that I read that Oogway appears in the film have me very excited to see this. I hope they’ll release a trilogy set sometime after this film comes to home media for me to buy all three in one swoop.
ce1ticmoon
Gold Classic Collection

Post by ce1ticmoon »

I saw this last weekend and though it could have been stronger, I thought it was pretty good. I can't compare it to the first since it has been a little too long since I've seen it, but KFP2 was definitely the stronger film. I feel like they went a little too far with the humor this time, as they undercut nearly every single dramatic or emotional scene.

It also seemed to very much be set up as a possible finale for the series. If this is the last entry, I think they they did a good job at giving it a sense of proper closure.

And the visuals! So gorgeous, especially the spirit-realm scenes and the 2D flashbacks. The opening scene and the final spirit-realm battle were absolutely stunning. Worth the price of admission just for the eye-candy, honestly.
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

I liked the third movie. It was the best in the series, in my opinion.