Movies you hate but everyone else loves

Discussion of non-Disney entertainment.
Big Disney Fan
Platinum Edition

Movies you hate but everyone else loves

Post by Big Disney Fan »

Do you ever have that movie you really can't stand, but everyone else seems to love? And maybe it's not just one movie, but a couple movies. There are plenty of movies out there I don't personally like. Maybe they make me too emotional or maybe there is just something triggering about them in some other way that has traumatized me for life. Please don't judge me based on what I have to say. Remember, this is all personal opinion. And it's possible you may have movies you dislike but others like, too. Maybe I might like them, too.

Anyway, one movie I personally loathe is "Toy Story 3". It's just way too dark for a family-friendly movie with toys. The villain is without doubt one of the worst ever in any movie at all. It shows heartbreak. It shows, as in so many other movies, that love hurts - a lot. It's just too emotional for me.

Anyway, that's just one example of a movie I dislike. I will post more later, but for now, are there any movies that others like but you don't for whatever reason? Post them here.
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Movies you hate but everyone else loves

Post by Disney Duster »

I like Toy Story 3 but I do disapprove of how dark it is for a family friendly movie.

As of now I can't think of a movie I hate but everyone else seems to love.
Big Disney Fan
Platinum Edition

Post by Big Disney Fan »

Another movie I don't like is "E.T.". It's way too dramatic for me, especially when the alien is dying and held against his will in a hospital of sorts. When the kids save him, they are opposed by policemen with guns, as though they want to kill them! Yes, there was a time when the guns were replaced with walkie-talkies, but the guns came back recently.

I'm not particularly fond of movies with excessive tension like this, where the antagonist will resort to murder if necessary.
thedisneyspirit
Anniversary Edition

Post by thedisneyspirit »

How To Train Your Dragon series.

I think they're just cliched and annoying.
TheSequelOfDisney
Signature Collection

Post by TheSequelOfDisney »

Anything relating to John Hughes. I especially dislike The Breakfast Club and that damn song at the end.
The Divulgations of One Desmond Leica: http://desmondleica.wordpress.com/
Escapay

Post by Escapay »

I've found life's too short for me to hate a film, I don't want to waste my time and energy in an emotion so strong on a product that clearly doesn't deserve anything more from me beyond apathy. I can't think of any films at the moment, though from recent viewings of the past few years, I could do without seeing stuff like The BFG or Dunkirk again in my lifetime.
TheSequelOfDisney wrote:Anything relating to John Hughes.
Are we talking strictly Hughes-directed films, or also John Hughes screenplays? Because as a director, his work (to me) is fairly solid, though some films have definitely aged better than others. When he's just behind the screenplay, usually comedy oriented, it varies wildly.

For example, if we're talking about his 80s teen films, I love The Breakfast Club and Ferris Bueller's Day Off, which he wrote/directed, but have little love for Weird Science, and I fluctuate a lot between grossly-offensive to sentimentally-adorable when it comes to Sixteen Candles. I'll always prefer Pretty in Pink to Some Kind of Wonderful - both are written, but not directed, by him; essentially both are the same story. Then there's the National Lampoon movies that are usually hit or miss depending on my mood (I'll take Vacation and Christmas Vacation any day of the week, but European Vacation requires a lot of convincing), and he's not directed any of those.

When we get into his non-teen screenplays, stuff like Home Alone and Miracle on 34th Street are required Christmas viewing every year, though Home Alone 2: Lost in New York gets painful the older one gets. His two Disney-written projects (101 Dalmatians and Flubber) aren't exactly Top 10 in my favorite Disney films, but they're harmless remakes that I still enjoy. Harmless could also include his screenplays for Dennis the Menace from Warner and Baby's Day Out from Fox. And there are still several films of his that he's written and/or directed which I've yet to see (Planes, Trains, and Automobiles, She's Having a Baby, Curly Sue), while others I kind of wish I didn't see (Career Opportunities, Dutch).
TheSequelOfDisney wrote:I especially dislike The Breakfast Club and that damn song at the end.
Wow, that's intense. Care to elaborate more? (Genuinely curious.)

Albert
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
TheSequelOfDisney
Signature Collection

Post by TheSequelOfDisney »

I guess I should preface that I've only seen three of John Hughes's films: Sixteen Candles, The Breakfast Club, and Ferris Bueller's Day Off. I personally just find them boring. There isn't anything really wrong with the films themselves, though I honestly don't remember much about them; it's been a little while since I last saw them. That said, my main problem, which has definitely blemished my perspective of looking at the films as films, is how society (that is, most millennials who grew up watching '80s movies) has so fiercely revered his films--and really these three films in particular. I don't find them to be particularly enjoyable, but once a fellow millennial brings them up and react negatively and harshly to my lukewarm reception, I just place their reactions onto the films themselves. That's not fair, but that's what has happened. A similar thing happens with The Princess Bride. It's not a bad film, but I don't have the nostalgia to put it up on the pedestal my fellow millennials have, which kind of ruins the film for me. It's probably why I've seen so few '80s films.

I do really hate the ending song to The Breakfast Club, though. It's annoying as hell (probably made so by the reasons mentioned above), and I cringe every single time I hear it.

That probably doesn't answer your question very well, though, Albert.
The Divulgations of One Desmond Leica: http://desmondleica.wordpress.com/
Escapay

Post by Escapay »

TheSequelOfDisney wrote:That probably doesn't answer your question very well, though, Albert.
No, it does, actually.
T-SoD wrote:That said, my main problem, which has definitely blemished my perspective of looking at the films as films, is how society (that is, most millennials who grew up watching '80s movies) has so fiercely revered his films--and really these three films in particular. I don't find them to be particularly enjoyable, but once a fellow millennial brings them up and react negatively and harshly to my lukewarm reception, I just place their reactions onto the films themselves. That's not fair, but that's what has happened.
No worries, I'm guilty of projecting onto a film as well. I have no fondness for Tarantino's filmmaking (based solely on the two Kill Bill movies, Inglourious Basterds, and what little I bothered to watch of Django Unchained), so I've never seen Pulp Fiction. Every time someone finds that out, they go batsh!t crazy. "You call yourself a film fan and you've not seen Pulp Fiction?!?" is usually the common response. It makes me less inclined to see it, if only because I know that if every Joe Average has called it one of the greatest films in the world, it likely won't be to me. Besides, I usually counter that with, "You call yourself a film fan and you've not seen [insert a Criterion Collection title at random]?!?" just to be cheeky.
T-SoD wrote:A similar thing happens with The Princess Bride. It's not a bad film, but I don't have the nostalgia to put it up on the pedestal my fellow millennials have, which kind of ruins the film for me.
Nostalgia does put blinders on us when it comes to "favorite" films, I will agree. I doubt many people will hold a film like Big Business with as high regard as I and a few others do. But it's something that's symptomatic of every generation: they may collectively grow up with a film that they can't always see how... unremarkable it may be. I love The Princess Bride myself, but I can still concede that at the end of the day it still looks cheaply made amidst other 80s fantasy films, its score wavers between beautiful or painful depending on when they go with real instruments or synthesizers, and its script is possibly the strongest thing it's got going for it. But I still love it for all its flaws, even if I didn't grow up watching it as a kid (didn't see the film until I was 20).
T-SoD wrote:It's probably why I've seen so few '80s films.
For me it's the 1970s that I can't get into. I absolutely love the 80s.
T-SoD wrote:I do really hate the ending song to The Breakfast Club, though. It's annoying as hell (probably made so by the reasons mentioned above), and I cringe every single time I hear it.
Haha, that was me with Carly Simon's "You're So Vain" when I was in high school. But I've grown to love that song eventually.

Albert
WIST #60:

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
Nandor
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Nandor »

Escapay wrote:Haha, that was me with Carly Simon's "You're So Vain" when I was in high school.
Was that because you thought it was about you?

First time I post in months, and it's a stupid joke. Well, I make myself laugh.
Asante sana, squash banana, wewe nugu, mimi hapana.
Escapay

Post by Escapay »

Nandor wrote:
Escapay wrote:Haha, that was me with Carly Simon's "You're So Vain" when I was in high school.
Was that because you thought it was about you?

First time I post in months, and it's a stupid joke. Well, I make myself laugh.
rotfl

Actually, I just didn't like her vocal styling at the time. I've since learned the error of my ways.

Albert
WIST #60:

WIST #61:
DVDBuff1
Gold Classic Collection

Post by DVDBuff1 »

Like Escapay, I too don't waste my time to hate anything, but here's a list of some movies that I find overrated...

E.T.
Ferris Bueller's Day Off
Blade Runner
Dunkirk
Kill Bill