Rate the Cinderellas You've Seen!

Discussion of non-Disney entertainment.

Which version of Cinderella do you think is best?

Walt Disney's Cinderella (1950)
41%
Rodgers and Hammerstein’s Cinderella (1957)
5%
Rodgers and Hammerstein’s Cinderella (1965)
5%
The Slipper and the Rose: The Story of Cinderella (1976)
5%
Faerie Tale Theatre’s Cinderella (1985)
No votes
Ever After: A Cinderella Story (1998)
14%
Rodgers and Hammerstein’s Cinderella (1997)
5%
Disney’s and Kenneth Branagh’s Cinderella (2015)
27%
ЗОЛУШКА (a Russian Cinderella cartoon)
No votes
Other
No votes

Total votes: 22

Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Rate the Cinderellas You've Seen!

Post by Disney Duster »

Wow, Redadoodles, that is all amazing to know! I really like that Fairy Godmother as the fortune teller idea!
Redadoodles
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Redadoodles »

When you watch the scene of Cinderella telling her the story about the fortune teller, the godmother seems to know about that. That's why I always assumed that she was the fortune teller.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

That's very smart of you to make that connection, or at least realize that could be a connection! I would like to think she is the fortune teller!
Redadoodles
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Redadoodles »

Thank you DD, you're always so kind and I'm glad you agree with that theory.

I forgot to give my opinion on the Brandy version of Cinderella. Well, I really didn't like it. I mean, Brandy's acting is just atrocious and the fact that she's originally a singer is no excuse if you look at Jennifer Hudson, Whitney Huston, Beyonce, Mandy Moore, Lady Gaga, Julie Andrews, Eminem, Barbra Streisand or Cher. I didn't like the costumes either nor the songs. The evil step sisters are way too comical which I disliked as well. Finally, the most disappointing thing was how the subject of race was completely ignored in the film which is a real shame.
Now, everything's not awful as the rest of the cast is lovely and a few ideas are fun but to me, it's most vapid version of the fairy tale and I'm glad that I have not purchased the Dvd. You could tell me that the film is not great because it was made for television but that's not a good excuse because Annie (1999) was also a Disney Channel film and it had a good leading actress in the leading role and good production values as well.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Thank you for saying I am kind, because I really try to be, though I sometimes fail at it. :P

I love Brandy's Cinderella. Her acting is pretty bad but it doesn't grate on me. I love all the songs, except I don't really like "In My Own Little Corner", but it's ok. Do you just not like the songs in the Brandy Rodgers and Hammerstein's Cinderella, or have you seen either of the other Rodgers and Hammerstein's Cinderellas and liked those? I love the sets and costumes. The stepfamily costumes are atrocious in the village, but are ok in the rest of the film. I especially love Cinderella's ball gown. The film won an Emmy for art direction, so it means I'm not the only one who thought the film designs looked cool. And as for the races of the characters, they were going for full color-blind fantasy. Nothing in the film is historically accurate! A Black Queen and White Jewish King have a Filipino Prince! None of it is supposed to be real except the situations and emotions! I never saw Annie. Do you know where I can watch it?
Last edited by Disney Duster on Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Redadoodles
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Redadoodles »

The production values are very theatrical and broadway influenced which is not really my cup of tea. I prefer costumes like the ones in The Glass Slipper or Ever After which are more subtle and conservative but that's just me. :)

You can watch Annie on Disney Plus. Victor Garber is also in that one.
Last edited by Redadoodles on Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Redadoodles wrote:The production values are very theatrical and broadway influenced which is not really cup of tea. I prefer costumes like the ones in The Glass Slipper or Ever After which are more subtle and conservative but that's just me. :)
I feel the same. The one negative aside from Brandy's acting that I have for that film is that a lot of the costumes and the coach as well are gaudy.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I understand how you guys feel about the costumes and the theatricality. Redadoodles, you didn't tell.me if you saw the other Rodgers and Hammerstein's Cinderellas. Thank you for telling me about Annie! Disney's Divinity, do you at least like Brandy's costumes, especially her ballgown?
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Not really. I don't hate it at all, but I've never been fond of it; that's partly why I never really liked that they imitated it for Tiana. :/ It's okay. I think the stepmother's balldress is okay, too. I can't quite remember all the different versions' ball dress for Cinderella right off, but I do remember the ones I had the most positive impressions of were of course the animated film's, the white dress in Ever After, and the white dress in The Glass Slipper. I can't recall the dress from The Slipper and the Rose at all... I can't remember if Cinderella 2015 also does this, but I liked that both Ever After's Cinderella and the 1950 film's Cinderella have a connection to their mother's dress. Of course, Cinderella's mother's dress in the animated film ends up in tatters whereas in Ever After it was the ball dress (unless I have that wrong)?
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Redadoodles
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Redadoodles »

Disney Duster wrote:I understand how you guys feel about the costumes and the theatricality. Redadoodles, you didn't tell.me if you saw the other Rodgers and Hammerstein's Cinderellas. Thank you for telling me about Annie! Disney's Divinity, do you at least like Brandy's costumes, especially her ballgown?
I did watched the Julie Andrews version but it was a long time ago. I didn't like the songs that much but Julie could sing the macarena and make it sound wonderful. It's a shame that I don't like those songs because I'm a huge fan of both The King And I and The Sound Of Music.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Disney's Divinity, I like all those dresses, too. In fact, The Slipper and the Rose one is the weakest one. The 2015 Cinderella ball gown was torn a little and transformed into a new one, and you had that right, in EverAfter it's her mother's dress (might be a wedding dress) Danielle wears for the ball. Thank you for telling me your opinion on those dresses. I also like the Brandy Stepmother's ball gown.

Redadoodles, ok, I understand you. I actually have grown to really like the Rodgers and Hammerstein's Cinderella songs, but I still think Disney's are better except I think "Do I Love You Because You're Beautiful" is the better love song. Haha, I agree on Julie Andrews.
Redadoodles
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Redadoodles »

I actually think that "So This Is Love" is a very romantic and catchy tune but I should give another try to that one if you think it's better.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

When I was a kid I preferred all the music in the 1950 Disney's Cinderella to Rodgers and Hammerstein's Cinderella, but as an adult I now prefer "Do I Love You Because You're Beautiful". The main reason is because it's so haunting.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

More Cinderella-related movies are coming soon. A new addition to the Cinderella Story film series called "A Cinderella Story: Starstruck" and an animated musical called "Steps" that tells the story of the two ugly stepsisters. For more on the latter, click here.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Sotiris wrote:There's a new CG-animated Cinderella movie coming out called Cinderella and the Secret Prince.
They made a sequel to this called Cinderella and the Spellbinder.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Thank you for all the info, Sotiris. I will just say the one I am most looking forward to is Steps. I like the sound of the story.
Redadoodles
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Redadoodles »

The designs are the decent and the film seem sweet. I'll probably end up buying it haha..

There's also this weird version of Cinderella I've watched as a child.. Cinderella's hair has its own zipcode. :D

Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Redadoodles wrote:The designs are the decent and the film seem sweet. I'll probably end up buying it haha..

There's also this weird version of Cinderella I've watched as a child.. Cinderella's hair has its own zipcode. :D
The designs of what film are decent? And I saw that big hair Cinderella online a few years back.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

What are your thoughts about the GoodTimes Cinderella:

https://youtu.be/Nrn03FWenrk
Redadoodles
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Redadoodles »

I can't stand her character in this one. She comes off as whiney and annoying.
Disney Duster wrote:The designs of what film are decent?
The one that Sotiris posted about.