Rate the Cinderellas You've Seen!

Discussion of non-Disney entertainment.

Which version of Cinderella do you think is best?

Walt Disney's Cinderella (1950)
41%
Rodgers and Hammerstein’s Cinderella (1957)
5%
Rodgers and Hammerstein’s Cinderella (1965)
5%
The Slipper and the Rose: The Story of Cinderella (1976)
5%
Faerie Tale Theatre’s Cinderella (1985)
No votes
Ever After: A Cinderella Story (1998)
14%
Rodgers and Hammerstein’s Cinderella (1997)
5%
Disney’s and Kenneth Branagh’s Cinderella (2015)
27%
ЗОЛУШКА (a Russian Cinderella cartoon)
No votes
Other
No votes

Total votes: 22

Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Rate the Cinderellas You've Seen!

Post by Disney's Divinity »

It's been a while since I've seen it. I don't remember noticing what she said about being beaten.

I recently saw a 30-minute short / film (??) called A Modern Cinderella that was made in the 1930's. :lol: Or it could've been the 20's, because the hair / clothes made me think of the '20s. It's about a girl who has to deliver a costume dress to a customer for her costume ball, and then she ends up trying it on because the woman doesn't like how it looks in the box.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Is there a YouTube link for that film?
Disney's Divinity

I haven't watched the video since videos take so long to load for me, but this looks like it from the title and picture. It was from 1932 and starred Ruth Etting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtBskSa_0jA
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Thank you! But for some reason it keeps freezing on me. I'll try it at home later.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Ranking 10 different versions of Cinderella's ballgown:
https://youtu.be/_zsd4gqe8tY
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Thank you for posting that, farerb! I've seen it, and it's a great video and perfect for this thread!
Redadoodles
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Redadoodles »

I've posted a clip of The Glass Slipper for those of you who are curious about it. :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=voKHv6uATlE
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

That clip has kind of a powerful romantic feel.
Redadoodles
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Redadoodles »

Thank you for watching. :) I'm trying to get some clips out there so we can get a proper new DVD/Blu-Ray release.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

A Blu-ray would be nice.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Sotiris wrote:Three Wishes for Cinderella is getting remade.

Sola Boards ‘Three Wishes for Cinderella,’ Starring Pop Star Astrid S
https://variety.com/2021/film/global/so ... 234932505/
The trailer is out. I'm surprised by how good this looks!
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

WOW! Thank you, Sotiris for the link, because that looks damn beautiful and EPIC! I love every single costume, except kinda the glass slippers, but they are still cool in their own way. I love the Stepmother's hair! And her acting! Man I can't wait for this! Way to make up for the bad Andrew Lloyd Webber and Sony Cinderellas!
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I've finally come around to making a new ranking! This one includes ones I missed rating before and some new ones, and hopefully it's closer to how I really feel about all the films. I did try to make the ranking objective, though. It's not just personal favorites, it's what I think are the worst to best. I'm open to people calling me out on bias, though! Lol I also plan on releasing a ranking of costumes, as well as of transformations! But those will have to wait. Here we go!

New Ranking of Cinderellas 2022!

29. Fairy Tales for Every Child: Cinderella – This isn’t a winner for me, I’m sorry. The only songs were given to the side characters, and about unimportant things!

28. Wizard Tales: Cinderella (I don't know if Wizard Tales is just a re-branding or what) - This one does a good job of making Cinderella’s life look like hell. She has a nightmare about how she never finishes her work that really makes you feel for her. It also has a cool pumpkin into coach transformation, though too brief and still not very nicely animated, just like the rest. The rest sucks.

27. Golden Films: Cinderella - The pink of the coach that matches the dresses of Cinderella and her Fairy Godmother was quite pretty, and I like that Cinderella makes ball gowns for her stepsisters, ensures they get a dance with the prince, and gets them two handsome men to be their partners in the very end! The rest sucks.

26. Goodtimes: Cinderella – This one’s awful designs and animation and music and writing make it a real stinker.

25. A Cinderella Story: Christmas Wish – Meh. Can’t remember much about it more than I did feel bad for the Cinderella character’s embarrassing moment in the middle with the prince character, but she was not a strong actress or singer and the whole thing felt kind of yucky.

24. If the Shoe Fits – This was a terribly written and terribly acted film!

23. Another Cinderella Story – Meh. Can’t remember much about beyond it being cringey.

22. A Cinderella Story: If the Shoe Fits – Meh. I liked the Cinderella character’s wig and rags dress.

21. Yeh-Shen – The story seems even more sexist in this Chinese version!

20. First Love – Meh. It was ok for a modern telling. Cute.

19. Hey, Cinderella! – This film is hilarious! I love every actor and they do their role perfectly. Even the stepsister puppets! I love Cinderella’s hair and character and that she sings of wanting to go dancing. Cinderella and her Prince are naïve as can be, but in a sweet way. I love when the Fairy Godmother says, “And these must be your ugly daughters!” Hilarious!

18. My Favorite Fairy Tales: Cinderella – I grew up with this, and it’s nice. Has ok anime animation, and in it Cinderella runs away before the ball, but then comes back when she finds there was nowhere for her to go! I suspect this was actually her just going to town to get things for her stepfamily for the ball, and it was dubbed as her choosing to run away later, but I don’t know! The designs are Disney rip-offs, though, however nice her pink version of the silver ballgown is.

17. Cinderfella – I actually really like this movie. We have very few male-bent Cinderella films. If it had better songs and more love between Fella and the Princess, plus perhaps some depth in Fella feeling too stupid and ordinary looking to snag a princess, it could really have been something great. I like it as it is, though. And it features a roaring Cinderella cameo! I’d love to make a “once upon a time” set Cinderfella one day!

16. The Glass Slipper – Meh. I liked the female-written character for Ella who is more of a fighting force in this version, and you can see why she would think no one wants her, so she’s in her situation. Also love the Prince’s interaction with her before the ball and his dialogue about men loving women even if they’re fat. Hated the ballet scenes and that Ella cut her hair and yet somehow no one knew she was the one at the ball.

15. Cinderella Monogatari (Japanese/Italian anime) – This is a very good anime! I should give it a re-watch sometime, and maybe I will all through my life. It’s just…so many episodes! And thus, episodic, lol. I like that the romance between Cinderella and the Prince really is given time, I love that it is a very adventurous version, even giving Cinderella the chance to be brave, and I love that Miss Paulette is her actual godmother and taught Cinderella’s mother’s painting class, and it’s rather emotional how she asks her to watch over her daughter! This is a very genuinely emotionally sweet Cinderella.

14. [/i[Three Nuts for Cinderella[/i] – A very charming film. Cinderella has a great, rebellious, fun force of a character here! Had a fairy or godmother given Cinderella her nuts, or the ending been a bit more…clever than just the stepmother hoping the prince would marry her daughter without even freaking seeing her…it would have been perfect!

13. Wishing Chair Productions: Cinderella – Actually, despite that this has scary uncanny valley puppets, and needed another love song for the Prince and Cinderella at the ball, this was quite good! The song at the end about how Cinderella wanted to know the Prince really loved her was rather a great, ingenious addition! If their were only Cinderella puppet versions, this would be the top!

12. Золушка (a 1947 Russian live-action film) - I have read this film is apparently very Soviet and Marxist. The King is friends with commoners and The Fairy Godmother hopes Cinderella will still be a hard-working girl though dressed as a princess (Cinderella, I beg of you, F that!). It has witty lines, including those that remind of World War II’s Hitler, since this came two years after the war, with the Stepmother saying, “It’s a shame this kingdom is too small for me. I’ll have no room for my antics. But that’s fixable – I’ll fight my neighbours.” Apparently the Soviet people felt like Cinderella as kept in servitude by their dreary, thankless regime. I thought the movie was mostly, well, cute, with good costumes and sets. Cinderella already knows her Godmother is magic, never asking for relief from her terrible life before or even after the ball, all of which I hated! I however liked that Cinderella forces her stepsister’s foot into the glass slipper, losing her prince, just to save her father. But I suspect that just may be the Russian version of the tale, not unique to this movie, as in the other Russian one the stepmother asks Cinderella to put her stepsister’s foot in the glass slipper, though admittedly with no threat against her father.

11. Rodgers and Hammerstein’s Cinderella (1957) – Well, um, I’m sorry but I don’t think this version is that good. Yes, Julie Andrews is a perfect Cinderella, but even her singing and acting don’t overshadow Lesley Ann Warren’s for me, or the whole of this rather mundane feeling version. The music’s really good. I hate the costumes and sets, though. I’d say Julie and the music’s the best thing about it.

10. Rankin Bass' Cinderella – Grew up with this one, and I like it. I like Cinderella, the Prince, and the ball gown the most out of things I liked in this. Cinderella’s character is really very sweet and even kind of strong, asking for help from her stepfamily, asking to go to the ball, and deciding to wish on a star instead of just cry about her situation.

9. The Slipper and the Rose: The Story of Cinderella (1976) – I used to think this one was so good. And while it is good, it’s a long thing to get through and can be kind of boring sometimes. The songs and new inventions of character or story to this version keep it from being as boring as the 2015 one, though. And the costumes are really quite great! This one gets very high scores for the Stepmother and most of all The Fairy Godmother! Love her! Also, the music is pretty good, with two songs sung by Cinderella I love.

8. ЗОЛУШКА (a Russian Cinderella cartoon) -This film is truly beautiful, in the animation and the way it is told. Even the music is very beautiful. I would say if there were only animated Cinderellas, this is only second to Walt Disney’s. It’s so exquisite. Cinderella is shown to toil and be so abused you really feel sorry for her. I only wish I knew if her father was in the shot of people shaking their heads at Cinderella trying on the slipper, if that’s what was going on! Oh, and I wish Cinderella and the Prince had wedding or royal clothes in the end instead of repeats of their ball animation.

7. Rodgers + Hammerstein's Cinderella (2013) - I am talking about the Broadway production, if it counts. It was magical in costumes, sets, and effects, but it was a bit too political and sidetracked from the main story and romance I thought should be going on. Still, the drama and humor are really quite good!

6. Faerie Tale Theatre’s Cinderella (1985) – God, this one is so good! So full of personality! Everything is top notch, even the costumes, except for that coach and it’s first transformation, lol! I just wish that was a bit better. I also think we could have had more development of Cinderella and her Prince’s romance, like they joke about stuff and laugh together or something, but this is a very well-scripted, very well-acted version! Absolutely adore the Fairy Godmother!

5. Rodgers and Hammerstein’s Cinderella (1965) – This is a very well-acted version by Cinderella, her godmother, and her stepfamily. Shout out to the Queen as well. Not the Prince or King, lol. It’s a little stiff, a little “cheap play”-y, but for all of that, it has the great music, the straight-forward and actually well-written story, and once again, Lesley Ann Warren’s endearing and almost, not quite, but almost heartbreaking Cinderella.

4. Rodgers and Hammerstein’s Cinderella (1997) – I recently discovered this film is rated a few points higher than Cinderella (2015) on Rotten Tomatoes! While I think the 2015 one is better, this one at least is not boring at all! I say Brandy did act well in this film. It is a little…you can tell she’s acting. It’s kind of fake. But, still, I mean, it’s not like any character in this comes off as perfectly real and believable anyway! The designs are fantastic and amazing, and the transformations are clever and beautiful. It’s humorous and builds the romance and is a little feminist. It’s great. Def a winner!

3. Disney’s and Kenneth Branagh’s Cinderella (2015) – Well, this is my favorite live-action film ever. It’s perfectly done. It throws in everything but the scullery sink! I’ve heard people say it tried to be like every Cinderella before and failed, but I’d say it did that and succeeded! I mean, it didn’t top those films or have the personality of those, but it used their elements well. Walt’s heartfelt heroine type, her animals friends, and her mother’s dress and glass slipper destruction. Cinderella sleeping by the fireplace and getting sooty. Many other versions’ Cinderella meeting the Prince before the ball. A fairy godmother who transforms herself when Cinderella shows her kindness. It's all there, and then some additions like why the glass slippers lasted past midnight (they were not transformed from anything) and why the Prince searched for Cinderella with the slipper after she didn’t come to the castle with her other glass slipper. Too bad it was dumb in how Cinderella doesn’t lie to the stepmother about letting her overtake the throne, but a flimsy reason is it fits with her all-innocent character. People also say it was dumb that Cinderella wanted to stay in her house when she leaves eventually, but that was for a prince and his castle, of course she would move to a better place, and she still kept her old home in her family (in the film novelization it is the choice for the honeymoon). It’s great that Ella’s choices are what lead her to the Prince and her salvation. Anyway, the sheer craft and creativity of this film is what I most love. The baroque palace ball and the gold and glass carriage! The stepmother’s glittering, silky false bustle dresses, her daughter’s too-shiny, slutty ball gowns, the Fairy Godmother’s glowing white, perfectly puffy gown, and Cinderella’s somehow amazingly beautiful in its simplicity ball gown! The glittering galaxy fairy-dusted transformations! And the romance actually felt built up enough to be felt. This movie is perfect, or it would be had it more personality and emotion! Still, this is the definitive live-action version of Cinderella.

2. Ever After: A Cinderella Story (1998) – This is the best live-action version of Cinderella. It just is. It’s exciting. It’s interesting. The people are like real people. It’s just tops. But it’s not entirely original. One of my favorite scenes was Danielle picking the Prince up and carrying him away from the gypsies. According to Medieval legend, when German King Conrad III defeated the Duke of Welf, the wives of those defeated negotiated a surrender which granted them the right to leave with whatever possessions they could carry on their shoulders. Each woman lifted her own husband onto her back and carried him out. Were it not for that, and some lacking scenes of Danielle and Henry at the monastery and ruins, it would be quite perfect. In Ever After, it feels like Cinderella and the Prince have been through so much, that they've been on a journey and really earned their romance.

1. Walt Disney’s Cinderella (1950) – I surprised myself when I made the 1965 one first, but I have come to my senses. This is THE Cinderella. Walt Disney's Cinderella does two important things no other version does: builds up Cinderella's hopes of her family being nice to her and going to the ball, which get dashed in a very violent and heartbreaking scene, and builds up the tension before Cinderella finally getting her happy ending so when she finally gets it, it's oh so happily ever after. No other version has such emotional power. Not to mention the visuals. That epically tall Louis XIV architecture. Those round-sleeved, bustled dresses, including the greatest princess dress of all, Cinderella’s silvery, full, pleated one. The Stepmother’s leg-o-mutton sleeves and high-collar. The Fairy Godmother’s cloak. That pumpkin carriage! And the animation is literal and metaphorical magic. Cinderella's spiraling, fairy dusted, dress morphing transformation animation is so divine as to be something holy. As is also when the Fairy Godmother materializes out of light and sparkles. Only the music is weak for me, but, “A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes” is a lovely anthem. Finally, there is no Cinderella more endearing or heartbreaking than Ilene Woods’ version, especially in the face of the scariest stepmother to be, Eleanor Audley. This movie is not quite perfect with it’s mice and cat antics and an undeveloped romance, but, hey, it’s still the best Cinderella, and the best movie in the world to my heart.
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

I was going to say that I've never heard of the Rankin Bass version, but Googling it, it looks familiar, so maybe I saw it when I was little.

Why are nuts given to Cinderella? I've seen you talk about that film in another thread- I don't remember if I ever asked what the significance of nuts for Cindy is!

Did you watch Wishing Chair Productions: Cinderella on YouTube? I've never heard of it, but I Googled it and the puppet designs are lovely.

Oh yeah, Matthew Broderick as Prince Charming!!!! Gosh, I watched Faerie Tale Theatre every weekend when I was really little. I'd love to be able to rewatch them- I'm sure they're on YouTube.

I've always loved the 1965 Lesley Ann Warren film, too. (And the 1997 one is wonderful too!)

Before the 2015 live action film, what was your favorite live action film ever?

Would you say that the 1950 film is the most magical? It is my favorite as well.
Disney's Divinity

Disney Duster wrote: One of my favorite scenes was Danielle picking the Prince up and carrying him away from the gypsies. According to Medieval legend, when German King Conrad III defeated the Duke of Welf, the wives of those defeated negotiated a surrender which granted them the right to leave with whatever possessions they could carry on their shoulders.
I'd never heard of that. Very interesting. I wonder if that event inspired the scene perhaps?

I don't think of Lady Tremaine as scary, really. I think Lady Tremaine is the perfect version of the stepmother because she's so regal, well-spoken, carries herself with grace, and sort of beautiful (for her age), which reinforces the pain she's inflicting on Cinderella by refusing to be mother to her as Cinderella's father intended in marrying her and because she's someone that Cinderella does respect and admire because of those qualities she possesses. It's sort of tragic more than other fairy tales--I mean, all villains are innately tragic when you think about it long enough, I suppose--because Cinderella was the daughter Tremaine wanted from the Ugly Stepsisters--someone who was beautiful and graceful and well-spoken just like she (Tremaine) was--and likewise Tremaine was the mother Cinderella needed, but Tremaine refused to see Cinderella as her family. Tremaine could've elevated herself to the palace like she'd have liked if only she could've loved Cinderella rather than hating her.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Oh, man, I forgot to put in the Sony version! Oh well, I'll update the list again with that when I have also seen Another Cinderella Story: Once Upon a Song.

I wonder if you have seen the Rankin Bass version, Amy.

In Three Nuts for Cinderella, nuts are given to the heroine by a fellow household servant because he asks what he can bring to her, and she can't really get anything rich or fancy, so she asks for the first thing that hits his nose, which is hazel nuts. In the Grimm brothers version of the story, Cinderella's father gives Cindy a hazel tree branch that brushes his shoulder and she plants it at her mother's grave. It becomes a tree and gives her the dresses and slippers for the Prince's balls. Hazel trees have long been associated with magic, that's why.

Yes, I saw the Wishing Chair Production of Cinderella on YouTube and was surprised by how good it was. And yes, good designs.

A lot of the Faerie Tale Theatre episodes are really good. I think the best two are Cinderella and The Princess and the Pea. I also think The Twelve Dancing Princeses and Rapunzel are great. The Frog Prince,, too. And Sleeping Beauty. I know Cinderella is on YouTube, I'd try looking for every one you want to watch on there as well.

Glad you love the 1965 one!

The Wizard of Oz has always been my favorite live-action film till Cinderella 2015 made it second.

Yes, the 1950 one will always be the most magical Cinderella ever made.

Yep, Divinity, I think someone must have known that legend and used it for the scene in Ever After. You really wrote a very thoughtful, deep post on Lady Tremaine and her relationship with Cinderella. I never thought of how Cinderella and her father must have wanted her for those qualities she possesses, but now it makes perfect sense that those qualities were the reasons she got chosen as her mother. I find her scary enough for Cinderella to be afraid of ever disobeying her.
Last edited by Disney Duster on Thu May 19, 2022 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

Thank you, Duster!! I agree- Divinity, you did write a good reasoning for Cinderella's dad wanting to marry Tremaine. I definitely think that Tremaine, even if not "scary," has all the power, Cinderella has none, and that's a scary situation I wouldn't wish on anyone.
Disney's Divinity

From the outside, Lady Tremaine looks like a very respectable member of her community for all those reasons; her character flaw sort of "leaks" out from underneath the surface rather than fully on display like other villains. Cinderella has the same appearance of respectability (being well-spoken, the graceful way she walks and her posture--"queenly grace") as Tremaine, only it extends inwards rather than merely being a surface quality as with Tremaine. That's shown in the way she still sort of looks to Tremaine with some small measure of respect even at the far point in the future at which the film starts (by legitimately expecting Tremaine to keep her word with regards to the ball). The face Cinderella makes as Tremaine is sort of "reprimanding" the stepsisters (when she's saying, "After all, we did have a bargain" or whatever) is almost one that looks like she's proud of herself, that she's "passed" Tremaine's test and maybe improved her estimation in Tremaine's eyes a little, only for Tremaine to quickly reveal that wasn't the case at all.

In a way, I think it makes sense that's when God (at least that's the way I choose to view the story / tale) intervenes to get her out of the house then via the Fairy Godmother, because that's the point at which Cinderella realized there will never be a familial relationship between them, that underneath the Stepmother hates her as much as the Stepsisters do openly.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Wow, another great, deep post by Divinity! Yep, Tremaine looks great to the community. Good-looking, well-spoken, smart, rich. She must really be even more pained than I thought to wish her daughters were like her and despise Cinderella for being the one closer to her sophistication and better than her daughters in that way.

Now that you mention it, Cinderella's smile when Tremaine says "We did make a bargain, didn't we, Cinderella?", while it could be exactly as you said, seemed to show to me Cinderella rather innocently felt she finally was gonna get some love, or at least fair treatment, from her Stepmother. What you wrote about how Cinderella's Fairy GODmother saves her after she realizes Tremaine would ever love her makes complete sense!
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

A new Cinderella movie is in the works.

‘Cinderella’s Revenge’: Lauren Staerck, Natasha Henstridge To Star In Twisted Fairy Tale Update
https://deadline.com/2023/06/cinderella ... 235418312/

Fairy Tale Horror Film ‘Cinderella’s Revenge’ Set for April Release
https://www.thewrap.com/cinderella-reve ... rtainment/
ImageImageImageImageImageImage