Anastasia on Broadway

All topics relating to content owned by Disney that is not Disney-branded.
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Re: Don Bluth's Anastasia on Broadway

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Sotiris wrote:I love it! It's my favorite Don Bluth movie.
Because it manages to feel like Disney?

I do harbor a fondness for Anastasia, yet there's so many things wrong with it as well. I remember liking it well when I saw it initially and when I received it on VHS several months later, I saw its problems right away. Besides sharing the same inaccuracy/legend-premise as Pocahontas, both of them have a ludicrous plot device; In Pocahontas it's the listen with your heart, in Anastasia it is Rasputin's devils who enrages the mob of the Russian revolution. I mean, really, come on! Even for an animated feature, there are more intriguing ways to depict a story about a lost Princess with amnesia, hence the screenplay is quite straightforward and dismisses the excitement. The tone is somewhat muddled too, as the film becomes a sappy and somewhat tedious melodrama at the third act. And though Rasputin displays some genuine menace, he's mostly a whiny manchild in the majority of his screentime.

However, what I do like about Anastasia, is it's epic scope and animation. The film manages to feel like a genuine and well-done Disney knock off, just like The Swan Princess. The songs are mostly fine. The film manages to display some genuine charm and cuteness. The voice acting is fine and Anastasia herself steals the show with her wisecraks and snark.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

The musical will officially open at Broadway's Broadhurst Theatre on April 24, 2017.
Producers Bill Taylor & Tom Kirdahy released the following statement:

“After finishing a record breaking run in Hartford, we look forward to bringing the magic of Anastasia to Broadway audiences next spring. In Hartford, we saw people ages 8-100 travel from all over the world to enjoy Anastasia’s enduring story. We are thrilled to have Christy, Derek, John and Caroline leading our company again for the Broadway premiere.”
Source: http://www.newyorktheatreguide.com/news ... 558255.htm

They're using a new logo which is a major improvement over the previous one.

ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Yes, much better.

I'll probably get the cast recording for this eventually, but I have to admit it's not a priority for me. I wonder how successful it will be?
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I was listening to the Anastasia soundtrack and thought about how much I love Liz Callaway’s voice even if I’ve never been fond of “JttP.” It’s too bad she couldn’t have played in an original Disney film. I far prefer her to Lea Salonga for Jasmine in the sequels. Too bad she couldn't have been cast for Esmeralda over whoever they did get.

I have a hard time picturing the musical doing better than the movie, when the movie has Lansbury, Peters, and Callaway.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Liz has a beautiful voice, but I disagree that she should've been cast as Esmeralda. Remember that Esmeralda was never meant to be a clear-voiced, innocent Disney heroine to begin with. So Heidi Mollenhauer's husky and deep voice matched Demi Moore's voice. Otherwise it's a pity that she's never recorded an actual Disney project, besides the Aladdin sequels.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

The poster has been released!

Source: http://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Jo ... y-20160830
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Uuuum... Pardon my ignorance, but why is she blonde?
Tangled
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Tangled »

Not-so-fun-fact: The real Anastasia was described as having strawberry-blonde hair as a child (although judging by pictures it may have darkened as she got older).

Also, this is a completely contradictory statement, but as someone who is deeply affected by reading about brutal murders on Wikipedia, I can only enjoy watching the movie when I think of it as pure fiction rather than anything remotely rooted in history. So, I think of Anya as a made-up character. It'll probably be the same for this musical, even if it does make alterations to the story.
Tangled
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Tangled »

I'll just preface this post by stating that I'll likely attempt to see this show on Broadway if I go to New York City during the summer in 2017 (granted it's still open and we don't have another Tuck Everlasting-style failure on our hands). I'll also buy the cast recording once it releases. But...I couldn't help myself. There is a bootleg floating around, and I just couldn't wait because I just rewatched the animated movie a couple days ago. Besides, the show is still likely a work-in-progress, and the Broadway version that I will be able to see in a year could be very different.

It was very good. It was basically everything I hoped a remake of Anastasia targeted at adults would be. The book was well-written. The intertwining of politics and history to the fictional story was clever and far less black-and-white than in the animated movie. Most of the new music is downright beautiful. The choreography and costumes were both fantastic. Christy Altomare feels perfect as Anya.

Some standout moments: the new version of "Rumor in St. Petersburg", "In My Dreams", the entire scene in act 1 with Dimitri and Anya on the bridge, "Stay, I Pray You" (my favorite newly added song, although "new" is somewhat of a stretch. The melody is very familiar), everything to do with Lily (the musical version of Sophie), THE BALLET SCENE (it deserves cap lock and bold)

Still, here are four things that I think they may have to examine before the Broadway premiere:

1. There were probably way too many solo Anya songs that slowed the plot to a halt. This makes the show feel somewhat tedious. I'm not saying the songs themselves were bad, actually quite the contrary, but I just felt as though there were far too many times where Anya just stared wistfully at the audience and sang a solo about her past. I get that Once Upon A December is a fabulous song (and honestly, I now realize that it might just be one of my favorite musical numbers in an animated movie ever) but it almost feels like it's an afterthought since it's crowded by so many other attempts at creating similar showstopping Anya numbers. I am willing to bet that at least one of them will be cut before Broadway.

2. Dimitri. I liked the simple attempts to flesh him out, as well as how the story makes connections to his past and Anastasia's, but there's something about the way that his actor portrays him that just bugs me. He doesn't seem to nail the character's cool, deadpan personality, instead going for a more boyish and immature vibe (although, to be fair, most of the time the actor does look like he just walked off the stage at a production of Newsies, so I might just be projecting). I just don't think he works very well, and John Cusack did the role better. Plus, since the musical expands so much in so many other areas, Dimitri does seem far less important in the musical when compared to the animated movie. Anya is put at the forefront of her own story, and I am okay with that, but I'm sure that some of the people who thought that Anya and Dimitri's relationship was the best part of the animated movie will be disappointed that the musical doesn't emphasize the romance.

3. I really like the idea of Gleb as an antagonist, and he truly shined in many of his scenes, but his inclusion occasionally felt contrived for the sake of having a single antagonist rather than just using the entire Communist Party as the antagonist. He does indeed have a really good backstory reason for being "the villain", but he may need a bit more time onstage so that he feels more connected to Anya's story. At this point, it just feels he's composed of bits and pieces of a much larger picture that could be more thoroughly explored. Plus, there was a moment near the end of act two where his appearance completely broke my suspension of disbelief. He just wasn't involved in the story enough to properly set up the show's climax.

4. I hate to say stuff like this, but I truly worry about this show finding an audience. It'll probably be too dull/violent for children who are not heavily into musicals and/or history, and the idea of the original source material being an animated movie that sugar-coats history may cause adult theatre-goers to avoid it unless there's really good word-of-mouth surrounding it. This review of the musical makes a point that the show needs "more magic" and is far "less fun" than the animated movie, and although I disagree, I can certainly see why people would be bored by it. I don't know how the crew behind the musical could remedy that. The second act seems to intentionally be more "fun" and comedic than the first act to contrast the exciting, capitalist society in France to the drab, communist society in Russia. It's a unique structure for a serious musical, but I'm not sure if audiences will appreciate it. I just really don't want this show to close quickly.

Overall, however, it's a fantastic production that should be supported when it reaches Broadway. If I were to honestly make a top 6 list of my personal favorite currently-running Broadway musicals as well as Anastasia, my list would probably go something like this:

1. Fun Home (although it is closing a few days, so it will cause everything on the list to move up a rank :( )
2. Hamilton
3. The Lion King
4. The Color Purple
5. Anastasia
6. Waitress

New stuff may premiere on Broadway in the next year that could rank higher (I'm personally curious about Natasha, Pierre, and The Great Comet of 1812, since I've heard great things about that) but...wow. I was honestly was far more impressed by Anastasia than I thought I would be.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I'm glad you like the musical so much Tangled. Sounds like you have good suggestions except I think Dimitri should stay. A love story they made shouldn't be ignored.

After looking on it this long, I finally must say that poster is great.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

The teaser is out! It garnered more than six million views on Facebook in its first 48 hours. :o

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjAx__D2eeM[/youtube]
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Ramin Karimloo Joins Broadway Company of Anastasia
http://www.theatermania.com/broadway/ne ... 78546.html

Mary Beth Peil Returns for Broadway’s Anastasia
http://www.playbill.com/article/mary-be ... -anastasia
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Sotiris wrote:The teaser is out! It garnered more than six million views on Facebook in its first 48 hours. :o
Cool :)
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kx3Ddcrgldg[/youtube]

This looks wonderful!!!
bradhig
Anniversary Edition

Post by bradhig »

Is that red dress supposed to be the show's version of the Yellow Dream Waltz Dress or the coronation dress she wears at the end the of movie? I couldn't bare to see it ripped up cause that would burn out my retinas
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

The Broadway production is closing. :(

‘Anastasia’ To End Two-Year Broadway Run Next Month
https://deadline.com/2019/02/anastasia- ... 202550408/
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

So sad to hear that the show is being closed down after a two year run. I thought it was successful enough that it would last longer. At least, they're continuing their National Tour up till 2020. I'm actually going to get the chance to see it this very week so I'm super excited!

Some people are speculating that the show's closing is because of the Disney-Fox deal and Disney didn't want the show to continue now that Anastasia will be a Disney property, yet the show has no contributions or influence from Disney.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Oh, but I don't get that. Wouldn't Disney want it to stay open now that they actually own it?
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

I am sure any day now Disney or Fox will greenlight a live-action version of the animated "Anastasia." There's a lot of nostalgia for that movie and I think it would probably do well. To be honest, I'm surprised Fox didn't move forward with a live-action "Anastasia" after seeing the grosses on Disney's recent live-action "Cinderella" and "Beauty and the Beast."
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

Disney Duster wrote:Oh, but I don't get that. Wouldn't Disney want it to stay open now that they actually own it?
Because it's not a Disney creation so they'd rather a version that they had made. Perhaps it doesn't follow the Disney brand or line up with Disney's plans for the franchise.
estefan wrote:I am sure any day now Disney or Fox will greenlight a live-action version of the animated "Anastasia." There's a lot of nostalgia for that movie and I think it would probably do well. To be honest, I'm surprised Fox didn't move forward with a live-action "Anastasia" after seeing the grosses on Disney's recent live-action "Cinderella" and "Beauty and the Beast."
I think there are actually one or two live-action films planned, not on the animated film, but on the character in general. I'm sure once Disney gets the rights, we can expect to see this remake planned as well.

There was actually a sarcastic post on Blu-Ray.com which I thought was worth sharing. It's a response to another poster who said that with Fox gone, there will be less "crappy movies" put out.
Thanks a lot for crapfests such as "Gone Girl", "The Martian", "The Revenant", "Birdman", "Deadpool 1 & 2", "Logan", the new "Planet of the Apes" trilogy and "Bad Times at the El Royale", you dumb, stupid effin' studio. Like, burn in hell, right?

Now that Disney owns Fox they may be finally making some good shit. House of Mouse knows how to treat IP! "Home Alone"/"Mrs. Doubtfire" universeeee cumminggggg!!! Like, a live-action remake of "Anastasia" is long overdue. AmIrightz?
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey