DVDizzy.com

Home | Reviews | Schedule | Cover Art | Search The Site
DVDizzy.com Top Stories:

It is currently Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 84th Academy Awards
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:51 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

While it is a historic tradition for the Oscars to make idiotic choices when handing out their statuettes, I am interested by their upcoming ceremony for the films of 2011. It will take place on 24th February and will be hosted by Billy Crystal. For the various awards categories, who or what do you think will win, and who or what do you hope wins?

Even though the official nominations have yet to be announced, The Artist is doubtlessly going to win Best Picture, but I'd prefer Hugo to win.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:24 am 
Limited Edition

Hugo and The Artist are my top two films of the year (respectively) so I would be happy if either one won. I'd prefer Hugo to win either Best Picture or Best Director though as it's chances in the other major categories (acting) are slim while Jean Dujardin is deservedly going to win Best Actor. I hope that Gary Oldman gets a nomination as he's been unfairly snubbed in the past.

Best Actress is the one most difficult to call this year as the performance many were expecting to win (Meryl Streep in The Iron Lady) comes in a mediocre (if not just plain bad) film.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:48 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

Last year it seemed like, for the most part, everything I thought was going to win did. And I hated that.

This year seems to be more interesting, and I agree that Best Actress seems to be the most fun to watch. I haven't seen The Iron Lady yet, but I honestly doubt Meryl will win. The film has very lukeworm, almost negative, reviews and I don't see how this performance is any different from the other characters she's recently played (Julia Child?). My hopes for potential wins are Michelle Williams in My Week With Marilyn, Rooney Mara for The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, or Tilda Swinton for We Need to Talk About Kevin.

Should be an entertaining race, either way! (Well, if George Clooney wins nothing.)

http://teendramaforum.proboards.com/
http://twitter.com/clemxens

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:55 am 
Limited Edition

Anna Paquin should win for Margaret but thanks to the limited release it's unlikely she'll even get a nomination.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:58 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

Yeah, this year is unpredictable which is great. All of the acting categories are up in the air and even Animated Feature has no clear frontrunner. Tintin or Rango or Arthur could take that one. Maybe even Pooh or Panda can sneak in and win.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:03 pm 
Platinum Edition

estefan wrote:
All of the acting categories are up in the air and even Animated Feature has no clear frontrunner. Tintin or Rango or Arthur could take that one. Maybe even Pooh or Panda can sneak in and win.

Yes, it has. It's Rango. It has won almost every critics award so far.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:13 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

I believe Tintin has won a couple and I recall Arthur Christmas winning one. I don't think Rango is quite the shoe-in that, say, some of the Pixars are. Spielberg's name alone could help Tintin will favour with the Academy and I think Tintin is more Academy friendly. Rango is definitely in the lead, but I wouldn't count the reporter or Santa just yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:54 pm 
Limited Edition

Yay! Hugo got the most nominations! The Tree of Life got nominations! Gary Oldman got a nomination!

I'm pretty pleased with the Oscar nominations. There are a couple of things that arguably shouldn't be there (Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close...but no cigar) but Hugo and The Artist were my top 2 of the year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:52 pm 
Limited Edition

Am I the only one who thinks this year's a dud? I'm pretty underwhelmed and disappointed with the nominations overall across the board. I didn't realize how bad 2011 was film-wise generally speaking (of course some laughable nominations from that pool didn't help).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:16 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

The Artist, Midnight in Paris, Hugo, War Horse and Moneyball are some of my favourite films of the year, so I have little problem with this year's nominations. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:14 pm 
Limited Edition

I'd say that this year has been a very strong year for cinema, especially English-language cinema.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:14 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

So who's going to join me here tonight to have a live discussion of the Oscars? :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:34 pm 
Limited Edition

I think either Kung Fu Panda 2 or Puss In Boots is going to win for Best Animated Feature.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:12 pm 
Limited Edition

I'd actually tip Rango. It also fits neatly into the nostalgia theme.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:17 pm 
Platinum Edition

I think "The Artist" is definitely the movie of year, if not the decade. If you haven't seen it, you need to do so.

"Hugo" is an amazing film and because it is a Martin Scorcese picture it stands a pretty good chance.

If "The Help" walks away with Best Actress for Viola Davis, I would be a happy camper. That movie should have a lot more nominations than it does.

I would like to see Nick Nolte win the award for Best Actor in a Supporting Role for his role in "Warrior". He was incredible in that film.

As for the Best Animated Feature I am leaning to "Rango", but wouldn't be disappointed if "Kung Fu Panda 2" wins this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:39 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

My 2 cents on the Artist: It has hardly played here on any screens. I would like to see it but it seems I can't find it listed anywhere. A shoe-in for best picture? Really? Meanwhile Hugo is still playing.

I want Hugo to win best picture. A very unique movie.

All the other categories are kinda bland this year. Although I do want fellow Canuck Christopher Plummer to win.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:47 pm 
Gold Collection

Boy, Dreamworks just can't get a break right now. Two movies nominated, not a single Disney/Pixar movie that was nominated, and they STILL have trouble winning Best Animated Feature, this time losing to Rango.

The 1,000th Ultimate Disney member.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:50 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

Pretty fun Oscars, I think.

Billy Crystal was great. I've always wanted to see a Crystal telecast and I'm glad I got the opportunity to this year.

The only surprise, for me, was Meryl Streep taking Best Actress. I knew the category was kind of messy this year (I wanted Glenn Close, but I had a sadistic wish that Rooney Mara would get the Marisa Tomei treatment), but between Streep and Davis, I expected the weights would tip in Davis' favor.

Also, did anyone see The Dictator's prank on Ryan Seacrest? Pretty funny...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:57 am 
Limited Edition

Congrats Christopher Plummer!!!!!! So happy!!

I knew it would be between Streep and Davis. I'm actually shocked it went to Streep, but not shocked at the same time!

I really need to see The Artist!!

Idk, Billy does nothing for me to be perfectly honest.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:10 am 
Limited Edition

I really wanted Viola Davis to win, but I was happy seeing Meryl win!

I was VERY disappointed however that Paradise Lost 3 lost to a documentary about football. The Paradise Lost films are, in my opinion, MUCH more important than a film about football...