Sailor Moon Returns!

Discussion of non-Disney entertainment.
blackcauldron85
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Sailor Moon Returns!

Post by blackcauldron85 »

^ There was a re-dub for English or Japanese?
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

English, but I imagine they probably did it for Japanese viewers, too? Maybe not though. I'm not sure. I think there may have been a rights issue that prevented them from getting the original dub, and, more than that, the errors were all with the translation to English (and the deliberate changes / censorship of certain details, like turning Fisheye and Zoisite into women). I dunno.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

^ Thank you! I knew about the editing of Sailor Uranus and Sailor Neptune, and name changes like Serena/Usagi, but I didn't know the extent of all the edits under DIC. You've sent me down a Sailor Moon rabbit hole!
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

The first Sailor Moon Eternal film is out in Japan, and debuted at number 9 on the weekend it came out. Here is the trailer for the 2nd movie:
Sailor Moon Eternal Part 2 Trailer

There is also this music video for the theme song which features a lot of footage:
Moon Color Chainon Music Video
Disney's Divinity

Just putting this here as a FYI: Amazon's having two different sales going on. A Buy 2, Get 1 Free sale that applies to random items, but also a 20% discount on some of their anime (the real price will only show when you're at Checkout). Some anime are a part of the B2G1 free sale, so the 20% won't apply to them, I guess? I glanced through the Sailor Moon stuff just now, and I don't really see any with the 20% off, but several that are a part of the B2G1 thing.

Anyway, I just thought I'd put that here for anyone here who buys Sailor Moon, anime--or anything really. I just bought two anime and the most recent KH game on which I had been waiting for the price to drop, so it was like everything was priced $30 instead of $50. :P I do plan to get all of Sailor Moon and Sailor Moon Crystal someday. :)
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Disney's Divinity wrote:I just bought two anime and the most recent KH game.
Which anime did you get?
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Disney's Divinity

Sotiris wrote:
Disney's Divinity wrote:I just bought two anime and the most recent KH game.
Which anime did you get?
Oh, I got My Hero Academia's 2nd and 3rd seasons with KH. I like to think of it in my head that I bought MHA for $38 each and MoM for $30. I really wanted that second season because of the tournament arc; I love all the stuff with Shouto, Izuku, and Bakugou. The third season could've waited, but I was trying to find something of equal value to the other two to get an item normally in the $50 range for $0.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Thank you, DD. When I can, I will buy all the original and Crystal, and Eternal, Sailor Moon animes.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

The Sailor Moon Eternal movies are coming to Netflix June 3rd and to Japanese Blu-ray and DVD on June 30th.
Disney's Divinity

With the B2G1 sale going on on Amazon, I was eyeing the Sailor Moon releases. I finally decided I am going to go ahead and buy Sailor Moon finally--but not the VIZ releases. I just know it won't be the show I really like because I grew up with the DiC, so I decided to start picking up those old DVDs from two decades ago used... Better to have to take ages before I'm able to get them all and risk disk scratches and all that than spend $200+ on something I probably won't enjoy as much anyway.

S and SuperS won't be a problem, but the first season and R, on the other hand.... I actually have the first 34 episodes on discs somewhere (don't ask how), so I really just need the DVDs for the fight against Beryl at the end of the first season and then R. Also, from what I remember, although I wasn't able to record the whole series before it disappeared from Toonami when I was a child, I believe I did get most of R and a little bit of the beginning of S. I'm going to pull those tapes out and mark down what I have an don't. It's really the Doom Tree arc that I'm most missing. It's funny because it wasn't in the manga, but it's always been one of my favorite parts. I was in love with Alan back then, he had one of those cute designs sort of like Kurama from YYH. I liked the way the villains were a part of the girls' daily life and acted as romantic competition; I always appreciated that Fiore borrowed their design, too. The R film was my favorite of the movies, for sure, because of that.

Since Stars was never dubbed back then, I will get the VIZ versions of that season. It'll give me an idea of the voice actors they went with and how good / bad they are. You know, even though I wish the DiC dubbed could be re-released, I wouldn't have been that mad about them re-dubbing the show altogether if they tried to get a lot of those original voice actors back. :/ The guy who voiced Darien plays Zexion / Ienzo in Kingdom Hearts and he still sounds the same as he did back then. It wasn't so bad back when the DiC dub was still on YouTube, but I think VIZ have been taking down all those videos over time. Which pisses me off. Like, if you're not going to release the original dub then at least screw off and leave the YouTube videos be.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

It's interesting you would rather get the DIC version, but it totally makes sense and I get it! I'm glad you will finally get them! I really hope you can get all of them that you want. I didn't understand what you wanted to see about the voice actors regarding StarS. Is it that when you watch it you want to figure out how they would have sounded if DIC had dubbed it?
Disney's Divinity

I just meant that I'll buy the VIZ sets of the Stars season and that way I can see if the VIZ cast is okay or not. What little I've heard in advertisements, I haven't really liked how it sounds. Hard to explain, I know this is irrational and subjective, but it's like I recognize most of the voices from other anime in the present and it feels weird having those voices over-top of a show that looks so old. Now, Sailor Moon Crystal, on the other hand, the voice actors of now over top animation that looks "new" would suit it fine.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Oh, ok. Now I understand. Makes sense!
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Sailor Moon Crystal is coming to Netflix July 1st.
Disney's Divinity

I did take a chance buying an item that I wasn't sure would be what I wanted or if the discs would play right... I won't go into details for reasons, but turns out it was the original dub!! :pink: :pink: :pink: SuperS and the three movies are the only things left for me to get now. Once I've done that, I can keep an eye on Sailor Moon Crystal online. I think the lowest I've heard other people say they've been able to get it before (during sales times and all that) was $33 each for the first three sets. So that'll be the price I'll hold out for, I suppose.

I've already watched the defeat of Beryl I was missing and the Doom Tree Arc. I've been jumping around to check that the discs work--I watched the beginning of S, too--now I'm going to watch R today. It's been so much fun. I haven't seen the majority of Sailor Moon since it aired on Toonami, so two decades ago. I'm just so happy! :float:
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Woohoo they work! I am glad you are so happy! So you have all the original DIC dub minus SuperS, but you will get the original dub of SuperS with the Viz dub of Stars?
Disney's Divinity

Yes, that! Of course, I might be able to get a pack that has Super S and the three movies in the original dub, too. It might come with Stars subtitled, but even if it does I'll still try to get the Viz dub for Stars at least to get an idea of what the new voice actors are like. If it's good, I might buy the rest of the Viz dub, too, but either way, I'll prioritize getting Crystal now. Before, I was never in a hurry to get Crystal because I didn't even have the first anime yet. :lol:
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I hope you can get SuperS and the movies and Stars all in the dub! And I get why you were in no hurry for Crystal now.
Disney's Divinity

Have you seen the VIZ dub yourself, Duster? How do you like the new voices? And do you like Crystal?

I'm through the middle of S right now, just after Serena gets the Holy Chalice. I know Serena's not her real name, but I guess I still prefer Darien, Serena, Rini, Wicked Lady, etc. as names. I didn't remember the outer's English names until now though. I associate the name Amara with Supernatural these days.

I still wish Funko would continue, and I wondered last night while watching this that maybe there was a slim possibility they might start up again now the Crystal Eternals films are out. I would like all the characters, tbh, simply because I always liked the chibis in the manga back when and Funko remind me of them. Nehelenia is the one I most want though. <3
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I must admit that hearing Usagi's VIZ voice was a bit alarming at first, because it was so unlike the DIC one, but it does fit the original Japanese one more, and when I watched all of Sailor Moon Eternal part 2 in the dub, it really went perfectly well.

I love Sailor Moon Crystal! I love how we get something much closer to the manga, and there is no filler or campiness. The only thing I don't like is the animation. I love the character design of the first two seasons, but it didn't carry into the later ones sadly for reasons I'm unsure of. The actual animation is also only good in some spots. It looks really bad in a lot of other spots. Even in the movies! I hope they make the final arc as beautiful and well-animated as possible, if they even do that arc. Oh, please, God, have them do it!