The Triplets of Belleville

Discussion of non-Disney entertainment.
castleinthesky
Anniversary Edition

The Triplets of Belleville

Post by castleinthesky »

Has anyone here seen this movie. If you have was, it good? I want to see this movie ;but I don't won't to use my money if it is not good.
Son of the Morning
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Son of the Morning »

I've heard great things about it. It just opened up at an indie theater around here recently, so I plan to check it out soon.
Squirrel
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Squirrel »

I've heard it was good...and wanted to see it. But when I went home (last weekend), I had planned to see it in a theater near Indy (it was actually playing on two screens, one at a Regal, which was the one I was going to go to), but it was only there one week, apparently. And I had missed it. And it wouldn't have been worth the trouble to try to get to the other theater, and...yeah, I'm rambling.

Suffice it to say, I WAS going to see it...but didn't. But I do have the soundtrack. It's pretty eclectic, but an entertaining, original listen. (I often buy soundtracks before seeing the movie.) And I think that, though Nemo has the Animated Feature Oscar wrapped up (and deservedly so), I'm sure The Triplets of Belleville could be a dark horse, if there was going to be one.

I do want to see it, though. I'll have wait 'til DVD.
Meega na la queesta.
static & silence and a monochrome vision
Paka
Anniversary Edition

Post by Paka »

AHHH!! YES!! See Triplets of Belleville!! Veddy, veddy good film! :D

Ahem, all hyperactivity aside, you really should see it. There's a reason that there's been so much hoopla about it at film festivals for a year now. It's a very charming, very visually quirky film, with great music (right-click and save here for the English version of the Oscar nominated song, or right-click here for the French version). It's really fun, and annoyingly catchy! I hope it wins "Best Original Song" at the Oscars this year, if only for a consolation prize for losing against Finding Nemo. :P

Some of the visuals (extreme caricatures, odd juxtoposition, unique stylization, grotesquely exaggerated features, etc) will take your head for a trip. The mood even gets downright creepy at times. But I wasn't expecting the film to be so funny when I saw it! The dog, Bruno, is hardly anthropomorphisized - he acts like an actual dog, yet the way the director plays Bruno's actions and behavior, you get a sense that he's hung around dogs long enough to be able to parody them so well. ;)
It's also a quiet and plodding film, with about four lines of real dialogue (at the start and end of the film), so you'd think that would get boring really fast. But it doesn't! The action is more than enough to keep you interested - Bruno alone could carry the film! :lol:

But like I mentioned above, Finding Nemo is a shoo-in for Best Animated Feature, although Triplets is definitely a legitimate dark horse. I'd be pleasantly surprised if it won. Yes, Pixar would lose another Oscar, but geez - they're almost guaranteed to get one in the future!! Same for Destino - I hope it wins for art's sake, and Pixar doesn't really need another Best Animated Short Oscar. :roll:

Speaking of Destino, most theatres are showing it before Triplets as a sort of surreal animation twofer. ;) So go check it out, CitS!! If you like Miyazaki films, you will mostly likely find Belleville a good film! ^_^
Life often leaves us standing bare, naked and dejected with a lost opportunity. Over the bleached bones and jumbled residues of numerous civilizations are written the pathetic words: "Too late."

~Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
2099net
Signature Collection

Post by 2099net »

The DVD is out in Europe, including a R0 UK release (under the original name of Belleville Rendez-vous). However, this will still be in PAL format, so will probably not run on most US DVD players, despite being R0.

http://www.blackstar.co.uk/video/item/7000000086128
Most of my Blu-ray collection some of my UK discs aren't on their database
Chernobog
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Chernobog »

I've seen this movie and I didn't like it. It's not bad, and has interesting points such as color and design, but in general I think it doesn't work.
However, I liked its acid humor.
I'm not bad. I'm just drawn that way.
Ludwig Von Drake
Special Edition

Post by Ludwig Von Drake »

It was weird in that there were no more than 3 minutes of dialoge
Jake Lipson
Anniversary Edition

Post by Jake Lipson »

I saw it a couple weeks ago, and the short answer is YES!!! It has recieved a lot of praise at festivals and awards for the last year, and it deserves all of it. Great film.

The last couple years have been perticularly significant for me as a movie fan as I've begun to branch out into more than just Disney and family fare. In 2003 perticularly, I started to slowly branch into some arthouse material like Spirited Away, Whale Rider, In America, etc. Everything I've seen at the art house so far has been an amazing experience, and Triplets of Bellville was one of the most pleasnt moviegoing suprises I've had in a long time.
<a href=http://jakelipson.dvdaf.com/owned/ target=blank>My modest collection of little silver movie discss</a>
Disney Guru
Platinum Edition

Triplets Of Bellville

Post by Disney Guru »

:excellent:

That was a great movie. I loved it a lot. It had a great screenplay and great acting. I really liked Teacher's Pet.
"I have this tremendous energy. I just loved and love life. I love it today. I never want to die."
~Jayne Meadows Allen~
Loomis
Signature Collection
Location: Sydney, Australia ... where there is no Magic Kingdom :(

Post by Loomis »

2099net wrote:The DVD is out in Europe, including a R0 UK release (under the original name of Belleville Rendez-vous). However, this will still be in PAL format, so will probably not run on most US DVD players, despite being R0.

http://www.blackstar.co.uk/video/item/7000000086128
Apparently, it has just been announced for the US:

From DVDTimes.co.uk"
Columbia Tristar Home Entertainment have announced the Region 1 DVD release of The Triplets of Belleville for 4th May 2004 with a retail price of $24.96. Released here in the UK as Belleville Rendez-vous this critically acclaimed French animated film will offer the following features on R1 DVD...

* Anamorphic Widescreen Presentation
* English and Spanish DD5.1 Surround
* English subtitles
* “The Cartoon According to writer/director Sylvain Chomet” featurette
* “The Making-of The Triplets of Belleville” featurette
* Three behind-the-scenes featurettes with scene commentary
o “Opening Sequence”
o “Restaurant Performance”
o “Tuning the Wheel”
* Music Video of the Academy Award-nominated song “Belleville Rendez-Vous”
* Theatrical Trailer
Behind the Panels - Comic book news, reviews and podcast
The Reel Bits - All things film
Twitter - Follow me on Twitter
2099net
Signature Collection

Post by 2099net »

Blimey! It looks like the UK's getting a better edition! It's not often that happens. And we got it first! :)
* English and Spanish DD5.1 Surround
What no French? :? And what's with the different soundtracks anyway when there's only a handful of words spoken (ignoring background sounds like the television which aren't important).
Most of my Blu-ray collection some of my UK discs aren't on their database
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Triplets of Belville??

Post by Sotiris »

Oscar-Nominated ‘The Triplets of Belleville’ Remastered in 4K
https://www.animationmagazine.net/featu ... red-in-4k/
ImageImageImageImageImageImage