Simon Pegg Angry over Spaced Remake

Discussion of non-Disney entertainment.
2099net
Signature Collection

Simon Pegg Angry over Spaced Remake

Post by 2099net »

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/a90647/s ... emake.html

Looks like another UK to US series. Hopefully this will perform better than Coupling, the IT Crowd (did that ever get made?) and Teachers. (But from what I saw, they totally missed the point of Teachers anyway).
But Pegg, who wrote the series with co-star Jessica Hynes, said he did not own the rights and was angry that he was not contacted about the move.

He said in a statement: "It is this flagrant snub and effective vote of no confidence in the very people that created the show that has caused such affront. If they don't care about the integrity of the original, why call it Spaced?

"A simple phone call and a few reassurances might have helped to at least curtail the tide of indignation from fans and creators alike. I have, as of yet, heard nothing."

He added that he was touched by fans' furious reaction to the planned remake, saying: "The whole affair seems to have inspired some spirited debate and some heartening displays of loyalty and love.

"All this for a show which is almost ten years old is all rather wonderful and a vindication of all the blood, sweat and tears we shed in the creation
I find it odd that Simon and Jessica don't have any ownership. But when writing it they were just starting out in the business, so I suppose it's easy to be exploited at such a time.

I don't see how a remake could be successful. The parts were almost written for the actors, and each and everyone was perfect for the part. Plus, like most UK to US translations I don't really see how they can write 13 to 20+ episodes each year. Spaced only had 14 episodes (plus a brief but perfect epilogue on the Definitive Collection's "Making Of" documentary). But each episode was the best as best could be, and didn't involve repetition or dragging running jokes and themes into the ground.

[2099 hugs his three disc Spaced Definitive Collection boxset with much love]

Secondly, "almost 10 years old". Boy, now I feel old. And I mean, old. Spaced was my Rock n' Roll.
Most of my Blu-ray collection some of my UK discs aren't on their database