Jam & Jerusalem [UK] / Clatterford [US]

Discussion of non-Disney entertainment.
2099net
Signature Collection

Jam & Jerusalem [UK] / Clatterford [US]

Post by 2099net »

I know hardly anybody will read this thread being as its about a UK show, and is only shown on the cable only BBC America in the US. But I don't really care, because I just have to sing the praises of this show, which is - in my mind - the best TV show to have been screened in the past decade or so.

It's hard to explain exactly it is which makes J&J so special. But it is. It has a unique ability, in that simply watching a show makes every thing feel better. You feel as if the world is a better place. But most importantly, you, yourself feel better.

But while it's hard to explain what makes it special, it's easy to explain what makes it so good.

Firstly the large ensemble cast is uniformly excellent. The BBC may get prestige and awards for its period dramas, but frankly, the acting talent in J&J knocks everything else the BBC has done recently out of the water. It's also important to note that at least half the cast is over 50 – and their age and experience shows in their acting. But the younger cast members are just as skilled. Everything is just so natural and flowing.

This week's episode was centred on a wedding, and its on screen realisation was a showcase of acting talent. Ignore the main actors in each scene and what they are doing (as good as they are), but check out the characters in the background – see all their subtle reactions, and all totally in character.

Which brings me onto the second reason: the writing. The writing is flawless. Everyone has a distinct character, a rhythm and method of talking. People interact with other people how you expect them to. Also important to note is some of the characters can be unsympathetic – especially the somewhat pompous vicar. But thanks to the writing and acting, its impossible to hate them, or even dislike them. They're just real people with real personality deficiencies. I love how many older people are in it too. A show like this would never be made or screened by an American network.

Seinfield was promoted as a show about nothing, but J&J really is a show about nothing. There's little conflict beyond the odd raised voice. Although it's billed as a comedy, there's no farce or slapstick, or rude words, or "hilarious" misunderstandings, or parody or satire or… or anything; other than humour actually from character and character interactions.

The show is also full of pathos too. Sometimes a character will let something slip out which will totally make you think about them in a new light. Rosie, who has multiple personalities, is an example of this, but so many others too, from mumbled asides from Queenie to Kate putting on a brave face to cover her own inner turmoil and doubts.

Some people don't understand this. They don't know how something can be a comedy without people falling down. And they don't know how something can be a drama without a murder or a rape. In fact, I didn't at first. It took me a few weeks to "get" the series, but once I did, I instantly fell in love with it. I was literally on a high for the remainder of Friday night after watching the final J&J. I'm sorry it has finished. Thankfully I have my Series 1 DVD to watch over and over again.

If anyone is interested, here is the wikipedia entry for the series and a character listing. If anyone can get BBC America, I hope that they can sample the series in the future for a couple of episodes and see what they think.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jam_&_Jerusalem
http://www.sitcom.co.uk/jam_jerusalem/characters.shtml
Most of my Blu-ray collection some of my UK discs aren't on their database