"American Idol" 2008 Discussion

Discussion of non-Disney entertainment.
DarthPrime
Collector's Edition

Post by DarthPrime »

Spoilers ahead for those that didn't watch the show yet.

Jason is gone, and America really got it right. After tonight I seriously don't think he wanted to be there anymore. He told Ryan that 2 songs was tough and at the end Ryan said he looked relieved. Jason pretty much said yeah cause there are 3 songs next week and I don't know what I would have done. His whole attitude in my opinion was that he was glad he got voted out. It might not have been what he was trying to sound like, but it really did.
The Tickler
Limited Issue

Post by The Tickler »

Tonight, I've been proven wrong... and I couldn't be happier. What is this, the fifth straight bottom 2 (or 3) that Syesha has survived? If that isn't the true definition of a "darkhorse," then I don't know what is. The fact that, according to Ryan, the top 3 had a mere million votes separating each of them got me pretty excited, too. However, I still think Widdi's bonkers for thinking David Cook will get ousted next week. :P We'll just have to wait and see.
Widdi
Anniversary Edition

Post by Widdi »

The Tickler wrote:Tonight, I've been proven wrong... and I couldn't be happier. What is this, the fifth straight bottom 2 (or 3) that Syesha has survived? If that isn't the true definition of a "darkhorse," then I don't know what is. The fact that, according to Ryan, the top 3 had a mere million votes separating each of them got me pretty excited, too. However, I still think Widdi's bonkers for thinking David Cook will get ousted next week. :P We'll just have to wait and see.
I am bonkers when it comes to a lot of things, but not this.

I think it's in David's best interest to leave next week, and in the shows best interest to try and make that happen too since they obviously want Archuletta to win and Cook is really the only person who could possibly prevent that from coming to fruition.
blackcauldron85
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by blackcauldron85 »

I like David Cook, and I have pretty much all season, but I agree with Widdi. Two thoughts: 1. How would Chris Daughtry's career be different if he had won AI? 2. Think back to last season's finale. Think back to Blake Lewis singing "This Is My Now". Did he look comfortable?

I think that David Cook could handle a sappy song, I do- he'd rock it out, hopefully. But, for his rock career's sake, which is what I assume he wants, he should not win AI. If he makes it to the finale, then okay, as long as he doesn't win- doesn't 19 Entertainment have the right of first refusal for the #2 contestant? Would David turn away a record deal, any record deal, even if he couldn't do the kind of music he wants to do? I hope he got Bo Bice's contact information last night- I think that Bo could give him invaluable advice.

Would you want David Cook to make a pop album? Do you honestly think that, if he wins AI, he could make the kind of album deep down he knows he wants to make? I don't think that 19 Entertainment would allow him that freedom. Most pop artists aren't granted true artistic freedom on their debut albums, sure, but David Cook isn't even a true pop act- he's a rock act, maybe with some pop undertones, sure.

I really want to see David A. and Syesha in the finale- they just fit the AI mold to a T. David Cook will go out with a bang and hopefully he'll get signed. Daughtry was #4 and look at his career. (I keep bringing up Daughtry because he has a similar sound to what David Cook would probably put out.)
DarthPrime
Collector's Edition

Post by DarthPrime »

blackcauldron85 wrote: I think that David Cook could handle a sappy song, I do- he'd rock it out, hopefully. But, for his rock career's sake, which is what I assume he wants, he should not win AI. If he makes it to the finale, then okay, as long as he doesn't win- doesn't 19 Entertainment have the right of first refusal for the #2 contestant? Would David turn away a record deal, any record deal, even if he couldn't do the kind of music he wants to do? I hope he got Bo Bice's contact information last night- I think that Bo could give him invaluable advice.
I'm not sure what the deal is with the 2nd place contestant, but they should learn from Bo. His new song Witness is back to the Bo that was on Season 4 of American Idol. Its nothing like The Real Thing album. I don't think the sales of his new album are doing very well, but if that album would have been released instead of The Real Thing I think Bo would have had a lot more success after Season 4.
blackcauldron85 wrote: Would you want David Cook to make a pop album? Do you honestly think that, if he wins AI, he could make the kind of album deep down he knows he wants to make? I don't think that 19 Entertainment would allow him that freedom. Most pop artists aren't granted true artistic freedom on their debut albums, sure, but David Cook isn't even a true pop act- he's a rock act, maybe with some pop undertones, sure.

I really want to see David A. and Syesha in the finale- they just fit the AI mold to a T. David Cook will go out with a bang and hopefully he'll get signed. Daughtry was #4 and look at his career. (I keep bringing up Daughtry because he has a similar sound to what David Cook would probably put out.)
No way. It would end up like Bo's first CD. It just wouldn't work at all. I don't really see the comparison of Cook to Daughtry other than being AI "rockers", but I do agree Daughtry went out at the best time. He got enough exposure to make it big, without the AI contracts the final 2 contestants got. He would have been successful if he won, I just don't think he would have been as successful as he is now. Taylor won that year. If I'm remembering correctly he sung "Do I Make You Proud". That wouldn't have worked for Daughtry at all.

Although unless something major happens and the Cook fans quit voting, he is going to the finale, and has a great shot at winning. Whether this is good or bad for his career, I don't really know. If he does win I really hope they let him have some input on what type of material will be on his album.
PeterPanfan
Diamond Edition

Post by PeterPanfan »

YES! He's gone!

*starts to sing No One Mourns the Wicked*
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I agree with Simon; David Cook dominated the night. The only sour note was the Switchfoot song which, as Paula stated, seemed too short. Simon's choice was easily the best of his three songs.

David Archuleta was in second place, despite Paula's horrible choice of song. They all were good, though none really "shined."

Syesha was dull tonight. I didn't even really care to see her and flicked during her songs. Hope she does good where ever she goes.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Widdi
Anniversary Edition

Post by Widdi »

I really don't care anymore. I haven't really cared since Michael Johns left to be honest, but it's just getting ridiculous at this point.

So rather than rank all 9 of the "middle of the road" performances we were given tonight individually, I'm going to rank the performers. But believe me when I tell you this, it pains me greatly what I am about to do...

1. David Archuletta: Send me to Calmwood Mental Hospital and stamp me insane because the Archtard was the one I liked best tonight. He seemed a little less nervous up there; maybe it's because he isn't being denied food or being screamed at by his overbearing stage dad anymore. His gaspiness was at an all time low and he actually sang something that wasn't a damn ballad! He didn't exactly sing it well, but it was fun to watch, something David has not been at all this season.

I'm quite ill (which could account for my liking of him tonight) at the moment and I had my eyes closed during his first performance, and I have to say I enjoyed it more than any other ballad he sang over the last 12 weeks. The third song was painfully cheesy and difficult to watch (Open your freaking eyes!) but he wasn't the boil on my backside that he has been the rest of the season tonight.

And props to Simon for finally having the balls to call him out on singing the same type of song week after week. About time one of these "judges" did.

2. Syesha Mercado: I honestly don't know what happened with Syesha that made my opinion on her flip. I couldn't stand "Screamesha" at the beginning of the season but now I'd love to see her win.

Her first and third songs showed she has what it takes to be a contemporary performer, and while her second song was a bit "cabaret" I don't think it was any worse than what the leading ladies of R&B are doing at the moment (It felt a lot like a Beyoncé performance to me, only you know, Syesha wasn't lip-syncing).

And man since she tossed away the 'fro has she gotten sexy!

3. And finally we come to the burning train wreck that is David Cook: I don't get how Simon thought he won the night at all. His first performance was a mixture a pitchy and screamy vocals, his second was just... words can't describe how "meh" it made me feel and his third was quite possibly the worst arrangement I've ever heard.

I think it was possible David could have been subtly trying to do bad tonight and none of the "judges" or the audience (who was so obviously cued to applaud at one point during one of his songs) caught on to it.

Who goes home?

I'm not going to make one flat out prediction this week because the three things I use to make the predictions are all pulling me in different directions

My Brain tells me Syesha is done for.

My Heart wants Archie GTFO the stage for good

My Gut is saying David Cook will be this year's Melinda.

I guess we will just wait and see.
dvdjunkie
Signature Collection

Post by dvdjunkie »

Widdi is all wet. The star of the night was David Cook. He took each song and made it his own, and he brought down the house with his third number. I can see him winning this thing because he is so now!!!

David Archuletta is so cutesy, and he really did the Billy Joel song really well. I almost wish he had been behind the piano with that one.

What happened to Syesha? I think that she forgot where she was, and maybe there is a big contract out there just waiting for her to get voted off this week.

I have said it all along, it will be the two David's in the finals, and if it doesn't turn out to be a populariity contest, but rather a talent contest, David Cook should win it all.

Widdi, they must show a different version of the show up there in great white north. I don't think you saw the same show that the rest of us saw.

:D
The only way to watch movies - Original Aspect Ratio!!!!
I LOVE my Blu-Ray Disc Player!
Widdi
Anniversary Edition

Post by Widdi »

Nope I saw the same show, and I am but one of the many people who think that David Cook was terrible tonight.

Different tastes in music I suppose, but to me, David Cook had one of his worst nights tonight.
AwallaceUNC
Signature Collection

Post by AwallaceUNC »

Add me to the count of people thinking David Cook was no good last night. I'm always happy to see an Aerosmith song, and while I did like the arrangement (unlike Widdi), he messed up the opening lyric and gave a very lackluster vocal performance. He always sounds the same and he did nothing to shake that up last night.

Archuleta was the best of the night, but only by default. I thought it was one of his worst nights overall. The second song was just awkward.

Syesha was on an upswing but that ended last night. She'll be gone tonight and we'll have the David v. David finale that so many people have been predicting for months.

-Aaron
• Author of Hocus Pocus in Focus: The Thinking Fan's Guide to Disney's Halloween Classic
and The Thinking Fan's Guide to Walt Disney World: Magic Kingdom (Epcot coming soon)
• Host of Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Pod, the longest-running Disney podcast
• Entertainment Writer & Moderator at DVDizzy.com
• Twitter - @aaronspod
The Tickler
Limited Issue

Post by The Tickler »

Those who think Syesha wasn't sabotaged last night are out of their minds. And when I say "sabotaged," I'm referring to the judges and producers' song choices. While she sang "If I Ain't Got You" beautifully, I find it stupid that they would give the last woman standing one of the most successful songs in the last five years. You can't really change the arrangement of a song that still seems so current.

However, it's the third song that really opened my eyes as to how rigged this show is. The producers could've at least tried to make it less obvious. They knew there was absolutely no chance that she would gain votes by singing a song from the soundtrack of Happy Feet, one that goes 100 miles per hour and doesn't allow her the time to focus on her voice or show any emotion. They even distributed half of the song to the background vocalists just to prevent Syesha's head from exploding.

The two Davids are fine choices for the final round, but, all in all, I'm fed up with American Idol.
Widdi
Anniversary Edition

Post by Widdi »

The Tickler wrote:Those who think Syesha wasn't sabotaged last night are out of their minds. And when I say "sabotaged," I'm referring to the judges and producers' song choices. While she sang "If I Ain't Got You" beautifully, I find it stupid that they would give the last woman standing one of the most successful songs in the last five years. You can't really change the arrangement of a song that still seems so current.

However, it's the third song that really opened my eyes as to how rigged this show is. The producers could've at least tried to make it less obvious. They knew there was absolutely no chance that she would gain votes by singing a song from the soundtrack of Happy Feet, one that goes 100 miles per hour and doesn't allow her the time to focus on her voice or show any emotion. They even distributed half of the song to the background vocalists just to prevent Syesha's head from exploding.

The two Davids are fine choices for the final round, but, all in all, I'm fed up with American Idol.
Yay! Another has seen the light.

Must be something in North Bay's water that makes us less naive.

:lol:

I've been calling foul on this show for years, but this year the producers don't seem that concerned about trying to cover up the BS that goes on backstage. And with former contestants starting to speak out about their experiences on the show I think the grave is pretty much dug for this "reality series". All the greatest PR people alive couldn't save its credibility at this point.

With that being said Idol still remains miles ahead of most of it's tuesday/wednesday night competition in terms of watchability. But that's pretty much just because other networks won't put anything worthwhile up against it.

If Idol would just come out and admit that it does manipulate the game then I think it could have a chance at becoming the behemoth it once was again, but the lies and obvious manipulations are really rubbing its viewers the wrong way. No wonder they are thinking about completely overhauling the show.

I'm not looking forward to next week's finale at all. I can't stand either of the two finalists and chances are the show will cater to Gaspy's talents in the way it catered to Jordin's last season. I'll watch it, but it remains to be seen if I will return for season eight or not.
Widdi
Anniversary Edition

Post by Widdi »

In other news...

What do you think Archie's crazy stage dad would think of this?

I hope FOX has put the poor kid into witness protection. I can't stand his singing but nobody deserves what this kid is allegedly put through by his dad.
dvdjunkie
Signature Collection

Post by dvdjunkie »

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion of this show, but I truly think that you are way off when you say that the outcome is manipulated (or 'fixed). What is the reason for the voting by the viewing audience. Sure the judges have a say in the outcome, but it is the viewers who call in and vote for their favorites. You can bet that David A.'s father will be calling for a total public re-count if his son doesn't win, but that is because he is a very manipulative father who thinks of nothing else but his son's career and what kind of money that it will line 'his' pockets with. You can bet that David A.'s dad is going to be his manager, and controlling partner in everything he does until he is 21 years of age and can kick his butt to the curb. Let's hope that he doesn't win, just for that.

The two David's in the finals. Sounds just perfect for me. I have been saying this since the first weeks of the show, and have been scoffed at and laughed at, but I think both are very capable, in their own way, of becoming a true American Idol.

David Cook has a great feel for today's music. And his take on "I Don't Want To Miss a Thing" was spot on, and had the audience cheering loudly. His version of "Billie Jean" was just a sample of the originality that the judges are looking for.

David Archuletta is the singing man's singer. He can croon a ballad with the best of them, and has made no pretenses that he is a rock and roll singer. His try at anything uptempo has been sad, and his Chris Brown song turned everyone off.

My prediction is that David Cook will win this in a landslide!!!

:D :D
MerXAN
Gold Classic Collection

Post by MerXAN »

dvdjunkie wrote:
My prediction is that David Cook will win this in a landslide!!!

:D :D
Agreed. :D I miss Brooke, though..
dvdjunkie
Signature Collection

Post by dvdjunkie »

Tonight's the night!! The two David's go head-to-head in an exciting conclusion to season 7 of "American Idol". With David A.'s dad being banned from all backstage activities and dress rehearsals we shall see just how much influence he has on his son. I really think that daddy is only in it for how much money his son can line the old pockets with, and not because he really cares. I hope that David Archuletta is prepared for this very pressure-filled night.

David Cook has his work cut out for him, he will not be able to let his guard down for a moment. I slight miscue could be the difference between him and the coveted "Idol" title.

I look forward to seeing David Cook being crowned the "American Idol" for season 7.

:D
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

I've been busy since last week Tuesday, and voted in a hotel room, and I didn't post my thoughts on UD, but I voted for Syesha. I wasn't familiar with the "Happy Feet" song, but that definitely was a sabotaging song. I thought that "Fever" was awesome...it showed Syesha's versatility. I didn't watch the show on Wednesday, but I was sad to find out that Syesha got the boot.

The judging on Tuesday made me feel that the show could be rigged. Paula usually gives a certain type of criticism, but the criticism she was giving on Tuesday seemed odd; she waits until the week before the finale to be uber-harsh? People could argue that this is definitely the time to be uber-harsh, since the AI title is at stake and should only go to the person who is the most worthy...

I don't care who wins. I wanted Syesha to win. I like both Davids. Both will surely get record deals, so it really doesn't matter. For the sake of both Davids, though, maybe Archuleta should win. David Cook's rock career will have a little more credibility and hopefully he can have a little more creative freedom for his album, and David A.'s dad won't beat him.

Speaking of David A., I've heard that his dad is a stage dad in a major way, but exactly does David's dad allegedly do to him?

And, where are former AI contestants speaking out about the show?
DarthPrime
Collector's Edition

Post by DarthPrime »

Well AI pretty much crowned David A the winner tonight. It will be interesting to see who wins tomorrow night. I think its going to be a lot closer than I originally thought.
Widdi
Anniversary Edition

Post by Widdi »

David Cook either totally threw it, or totally blew it tonight.

Congratulations David Archuletta; the 2008 (or 2007 if you ask Randy) American Idol.

I'll be back later with in depth analysis of tonight's show.