"American Idol" 2008 Discussion

Discussion of non-Disney entertainment.
blackcauldron85
Ultimate Collector's Edition

"American Idol" 2008 Discussion

Post by blackcauldron85 »

The Season 7 Premiere is on now!

I'll probably be editing my post often during the show...

The guy nicknamed Yuca is on now- he reminds me of Borat...not in his look, but in his statements...

Junot from Maryland is awesome!!! The guy who sang in Spanish right after Junot is awesome, too, but I didn't understand what he sang!

I'm very glad that Angela Martin (the 26-year-old with a daughter) was good, because when the tell the backstories of certain people, you're rooting for them...and you hope that they're good...and she is!

Bobby said that he's predicting that Kristy Lee Cook from Oregon will be in the top 10.

I LOVE Chris from Dover, Delaware...he's awesome (and cute!!!)!!!

I like Brooke White (the nanny)- she has a nice, pretty voice, and she seems nice!
DarthPrime
Collector's Edition

Post by DarthPrime »

This is the first time since Season 2 that I haven't watched AI. I'm not real sure that I'll even watch again this year, but the auditions are always fun.
blackcauldron85

Apparently some Season 7 contestants have been "in the business" before, and the list of the Top 50 may have been circulating the Internet since last month:

'American Idol' Executive Producer Weighs In On Some Contestants' Professional Backgrounds
http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/157967 ... ndex.jhtml

The Truth About the Contestants of American Idol 7
http://votefortheworst.com/americanidol7contestants
blackcauldron85

I just wanted to say don't go on "American Idol" forums...or even do research beyond reading the 2 articles I posted above, if you don't want to read spoilers. I just read a spoiler, and, although I can't be 100% certain if it's true, it was written by Joe'sPlace, who's mentioned in the above articles. The non-live episodes obviously will have spoilers floating around the Internet, since they were filmed prior to the airings...I just wanted to give the advice that, if you don't want to read spoilers about AI, then don't go on AI forums, and definitely don't read posts by this Joe'sPlace person... :cry:
Prudence
Anniversary Edition

Post by Prudence »

The people shown in the auditions are, for the most part, better singers than those of last year. This was purposefully done for the sake of improving the show, which is good. :)
Any opinions on "Princess Leia", though?
That's hot.
blackcauldron85

Prudence wrote:Any opinions on "Princess Leia", though?
She wasn't the worst singer on there, but far from the best! She was just being a sore sport. Clay Aiken was more of a nerd than a dork (not to say anything bad about him, I'm just saying...), but they've had more than just preppy/poppy people on AI before. She was just being a sore loser. But may the force be with her.
PeterPanfan
Diamond Edition

Post by PeterPanfan »

I watched it and loved it!

Brooke White and Angele Martin the best!

The Princess Leia girl and the one that goes,"TAKE IT TAKE IT TAKE IT!" were the funniest.
blackcauldron85

Week One, Night 2!!!

Paul, the park attendant, seems so nice! If only he sang better...

I think that Bruce Dickson (the boy who hasn't kissed a girl) is pretty good!
Last edited by blackcauldron85 on Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PeterPanfan
Diamond Edition

Post by PeterPanfan »

No one great so far..let's hope that changes!
blackcauldron85

Aww, the judges didn't like Bruce...

Pia ("Zpia") was also pretty good...and the judges liked her! Unless her image changes, though, I can't see her making it too far, since many people might look at her and just judge her based on her tattoos, hairstyle, or piercings...which is unfortunate, and I hope that she proves me wrong.

I kind of like Brandon Green (the fingernail-saving boy), but not 100%, I like him maybe 75%. I think it's because I'm not a big country fan.

I think that Kayla (the survivor of the car accident) is really sweet, but I wouldn't have put her through to Hollywood...I don't think that she was the best, but she for sure wasn't the worst...but good for her!

Kady Malloy's Britney Spears impression sounded just like Britney Spears...wow! She's good, but I think that I prefer her Britney impression...!

I like Kyle Ensley (sp?), the "politician"...he's "interesting", as Bobby said- he's a lot better than I was expecting (and Simon just said that, too!)...I think that he's different, but his voice is nice...!

I kind of like Colton Swan, but, again, I'm not feeling the country.

Nina Shaw (the girl from Kelly Clarkson's hometown) is awesome!!! I really like her- I can't believe that Simon doesn't like her!!! I'm glad she made it!

Let me leave you all with one last thought: "I am your brother, best friends forever!"
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

I think these were the best auditions since season four. I was worried this year if we'd get more Sanjayas, but it dosen't seem so bad so far.

Anyone think Paula gotten harsher and Simon's gotten nicer?

Felt sorry for Temptress (?) the girl who's mother was sick. It was so sad.

So far it's been great!
Let's see how good the rest of the season will be.
Disney Lover
Special Edition

Post by Disney Lover »

I laughed so hard at that last guy..can't remember his name but he sang that Brothers song that he wrote. I agree with Simon that I have a feeling that it's going to be a hit record! :lol
Vermin Friends
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Vermin Friends »

I haven't really watched Idol since like... season four, with Jasmine Trias and Camille Velasco, since it was practically all that everyone was talking about here, but it's always fun to watch the auditions. I've been taping them, since school just started this week, so I can't wait to start watching! lol
Check out some of my other work @ my Deviant Art profile
Ting Ting
Anniversary Edition

Post by Ting Ting »

These are definitely some of the best auditions we've had in a while! Some of the funniest, as well. There's nobody in particular that I'm rooting for yet, but I'm sure that will change as we move past the audition stage.
UmbrellaFish wrote:Anyone think Paula gotten harsher and Simon's gotten nicer?
I've noticed that too.
Not only that, but Paula actually seems SOBER this time around! :P
AwallaceUNC
Signature Collection

Post by AwallaceUNC »

The first week of auditions were entertaining, as usual. Unlike last year, I didn't feel that the judges were unreasonably harsh in these two episodes. They've shown a more even balance of good talent and bad talent this season (as opposed to previous years where bad talent dominated), yet they still haven't shown anyone I consider to be amazing.

Looking forward to next week...

-Aaron
• Author of Hocus Pocus in Focus: The Thinking Fan's Guide to Disney's Halloween Classic
and The Thinking Fan's Guide to Walt Disney World: Magic Kingdom (Epcot coming soon)
• Host of Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Pod, the longest-running Disney podcast
• Entertainment Writer & Moderator at DVDizzy.com
• Twitter - @aaronspod
dvdjunkie
Signature Collection

Post by dvdjunkie »

Tuesday, American Idol is in San Diego. From the short previews we are getting it looks like we might have a couple of real losers there, and some very good singers, also.

:)
The only way to watch movies - Original Aspect Ratio!!!!
I LOVE my Blu-Ray Disc Player!
blackcauldron85

I haven't watched AI since the first week this season, but I'm back to watching it for the performances. I wrote notes as I was watching, so I figured I'd share my notes/thoughts on each performer.

01. David Hernandez- alright

02. Chikezie- didn't like the beginning, but I like his voice in general, but he seems kind of corny

03. David Cook- :) <3

04. Jason Yeager- I like the song, but it seemed corny/boring, but his voice isn't bad at all

05. Robbie Carrico- great song choice ("One")- great voice

06. David Archuleta- I love his voice!!! I can't believe that he's only 17! He's adorable. He's funny & sweet!

07. Danny Noriega- Great song choice- very interesting voice- he's vocally talented, but he seems a bit cocky/too theatrical. He just kind of bothers me. Based only on his voice, I'd love him, but the whole package bothers me.

08. Luke Menard- I don't really like his voice, but he seems nice. Nice song choice. Nice falsetto at the end, though.

09. Colton Berry- <3! He's sweet! Amazing song choice- my favorite Elvis song!!! Not the best performance, but I'm crushing! Nice voice!

10. Garret Haley- seems cocky? I'm surprised- he wasn't as bad as I thought he'd be, but he's not the best. I actually liked his voice here, but he's still not the best.

11. Jason Castro- Great song- "Daydream"- Very cool that he's playing the guitar- I like his laid-back style- he's very talented. He's adorable!

12. Michael Johns- he's just average

I voted for David Cook, Robbie Carrico, Colton Berry, and Jason Castro. I called for David Archuleta, but it was busy the 3 or 4 times I tried. Good for him! :)
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Well, after Josiah didn't make it to the 24, the only person I was looking forward to was David Archuleta (and what a great choice I made). I think the two leaving for the guys is between Chikezie, Danny Noriega (mostly because of reasons beyond the singing, though the performance was standard), and Garret Haley (though I think he has potential).
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

Ah, last night was great! Great bunch of singers but my favorite is David Archuleta. My favorite girl so far is Carly Smithson. Great singers this season!
blackcauldron85

I think that Luke Menard will get kicked off, and I can see either Chikeze or Danny being the other male booted off.

But we have to wait until tomorrow night to know! I can't wait to hear the girls tonight.

I feel like I've missed out...I've read a bit about Josiah but haven't heard him yet (since I haven't watched AI in weeks)...I probably should look him up on YouTube!