"American Idol" 2008 Discussion

Discussion of non-Disney entertainment.
dvdjunkie
Signature Collection

Post by dvdjunkie »

I may be eating a lot of crow come tomorrow night, but what a Tuesday night event we had. The irrepressible Michael Buffer introducing the contestants like they were fighters in the Main Event was a definite highlight of the night. The coaches were Andrew Lloyd Weber and Clive Davis, and both singers looked and sounded prepared to give it their all.

When the dust and smoke cleared it was clearly a huge win for David Archuletta. His version of "Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me" was just breathtaking. His take on a song that was an entry into the contest this year, I think it was called "In This Moment", was just amazing, and then he saved the best for last and repeated his highly acclaimed version of "Imagine".

David Cook was basically just there for set dressing tonight, it was David A.'s night to shine, and shine he did. I have been saying all along that David Cook had this all sown up, but after tonight I am not quite sure. It will be a close count, I am sure, and we will see on tomorrow night's two-hour "American Idol" spectacular.

:D
The only way to watch movies - Original Aspect Ratio!!!!
I LOVE my Blu-Ray Disc Player!
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Well, based on tonight's performances, DA would surely win. But it really doesn't matter; I like them both equally. And, as others have said, DC might be given more freedom to do his thing in second place. I disagreed with Simon about the second "round," as DC's "Dream Big" was extremely above DA's "In This Moment." I don't think DC was as bad as everyone was making him out to be, only the two songs were slightly lackluster (one of which was forced on him).

I kind of felt sorry for him, though DA's always been my favorite. It just seemed as if the deck was stacked against him and he knew it. But I plan to buy his first CD regardless.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
DarthPrime
Collector's Edition

Post by DarthPrime »

Cook wasn't as bad as it was made out to be on the show. I thought both David's did really well.

I guess this might be listed as a spoiler for tomorrow night, but I don't think this website is 100% accurate.

Still I'll list it as a spoiler anyway. Highlight to read... DialIdol is predicting a clear win for David Cook tomorrow night.
MerXAN
Gold Classic Collection

Post by MerXAN »

Widdi, you're new Archuleta avatar is hillarious! :lol:
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

I didn't even vote last night, since I thought that both Davids were pretty much on par with each other. Props to David Cook for performing a new song. Yes, David A.'s version of "Imagine" was great the second time around, but I was so glad that David Cook stepped it up a notch and played a new song. It didn't hurt that "The World I Know" has always been a favorite of mine.

I thought that usually the 2 performers had to perform the same sappy song? Didn't both Jordin and Blake perform "This Is My Now" this year? I liked David Cook's song better than David A.'s song- the lyrics were sappy and kind of awful. I must have zoned out during the self-centered part of the song, but I did hear Simon's comment about it (the lyric about looking through the window at your reflection and seeing perfection).

I think that the judges favor David A. to win- maybe their bosses told them to, I don't know. I like both...I've liked David Cook's personality since Day 1 (I remember writing a "<3" when describing him), and I liked how Simon said how he's one of the nicest contestants they've ever had- he seems really nice. I wish them both well.

I'm excited for the Jonas Brothers' performance tonight more than the rest of the show...lol. :)
AwallaceUNC
Signature Collection

Post by AwallaceUNC »

As the others have said here, Archuleta clearly won the night by a mile, round for round. Unfortunately, I forgot to vote (so if Cook wins, it'll be my fault :p). Looking forward to tonight's show.

-Aaron
• Author of Hocus Pocus in Focus: The Thinking Fan's Guide to Disney's Halloween Classic
and The Thinking Fan's Guide to Walt Disney World: Magic Kingdom (Epcot coming soon)
• Host of Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Pod, the longest-running Disney podcast
• Entertainment Writer & Moderator at DVDizzy.com
• Twitter - @aaronspod
Widdi
Anniversary Edition

Post by Widdi »

MerXAN wrote:Widdi, you're new Archuleta avatar is hillarious! :lol:
Thanks. votefortheworst.com's caricature artists is a magnificent human being.

I'm not bothering with a critique this week. No time.

Lets' just say I can see either David win. I don't care which one, cause neither will get my money, but it'll be a close vote. Clay and Ruben close.
Escapay

Post by Escapay »

Congratulations David!

(hehe...)

Albert
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
PeterPanfan
Diamond Edition

Post by PeterPanfan »

Escapay..don't taunt others! :lol:

Congrats, David COOK! :D
Escapay

Post by Escapay »

:lol:

I did it to be snarky.

Besides, I think of David A as "Little Archie" and David C as "David".

Albert
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
PeterPanfan
Diamond Edition

Post by PeterPanfan »

Ah.. of course.. :P

Yeah I felt bad for David A..Ryan shouldn't of said DC won by 12,000,000 votes.. :headshake:
DarthPrime
Collector's Edition

Post by DarthPrime »

They usually do say how many votes, or a percentage between the two finalists. I guess DialIdol was right. They had Cook winning pretty good, while another site had it fairly close but with Cook still winning.

Overall I think this years finale was one of the better ones. The contestants got to perform, and were not completely overshadowed by the guests. Some good bits and finally "You are my brother" (I can't remember his name) was hilarious.

Anyway I'm glad Cook won.
dvdjunkie
Signature Collection

Post by dvdjunkie »

It was really an overblown two hours that could easily have been done in one, but still overall it was a very heavy-hitting show with all the stars. My clear favorites were Jordin Sparks "One Step At A Time", and Carrie Underwood with "Last Name". The Gladys Knight and her "Pips" bit was hilarious, and the special appearance by Michael Myers was lay-on-the-floor-uproarious!!!

The Jonas Brothers surprised even me. They weren't bad, and the biggest surprises were David Cook jamming with ZZ Top, and the appearance of George Michael. All of the Top 12 got to shine in various numbers, and Jason Castro has no rhythm and looked totally bored with the evening except when he got to reprise his version of Leonard Cohen's song. Syesha and Seal, what a combo!! And didn't Donna Summer look gorgeous?

I think they got it right, giving the crown to David Cook. He is truly the American Idol. Let's see what time tells for us, and where he is next year when they crown 2009.

DarthPrime
Collector's Edition

Post by DarthPrime »

Has anyone heard David Cook's 2006 CD called Analog Heart? Been listening to it a little today, and its good. I wonder if he will be allowed to do music like this on his new CD or be stuck with some generic Idol pop stuff. The CD is surprisingly good, and I think they could go back and release this again and it would do very well now that Cook has had the exposure of Idol.

Also the studio version of The Time of My Life (the winning single) is pretty good too.

Looking forward to his new CD later in the year.
Disney's Divinity

Does Analog Heart have "Optimistic to a Fault" on it? That's the only non-Idol song I've been able to find by him. If they still sold the album, I'd certainly buy it.
DarthPrime
Collector's Edition

Post by DarthPrime »

Disney's Divinity wrote:Does Analog Heart have "Optimistic to a Fault" on it? That's the only non-Idol song I've been able to find by him. If they still sold the album, I'd certainly buy it.
Its not on Analog Heart. I think that song was made after Analog Heart was released.
dvdjunkie
Signature Collection

Post by dvdjunkie »

Got my tickets for the "American Idol Summer Show 2008" in Kansas City. Can't wait. I have seats in the fourth row.

blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

Disney's Divinity

Re: "American Idol" 2008 Discussion

https://variety.com/2021/music/news/dav ... 234995143/

Season 7 was always my overall favorite season because I liked nearly everyone that year and in great part because of him. I was completely gaga over him back when that season was airing, and I always identified with him a great deal (or "idol"ized him, I guess, lol!) despite being a year or two older than him at the time. I always kind of thought he might be gay, but couldn't tell if it was one of those things I was actually seeing or just wishing. :lol: I'm not Mormon, but I am Christian, so I understand that conflict of being LGBT and wanting to be close to God. He's always been very religious and you can tell it from his music. I'm happy he seems in a good place. :)
Disney Duster

Re: "American Idol" 2008 Discussion

Post by Disney Duster »

David's so freaking cute. I hope he doesn't think he has to marry a woman and that he could marry a man if he wants to.