The Wizard of Oz Remake

Discussion of non-Disney entertainment.
TheSequelOfDisney
Signature Collection

The Wizard of Oz Remake

Post by TheSequelOfDisney »

http://itn.co.uk/news/00d9ab10424b7225c ... 2c70a.html
Children's favourite the Wizard of Oz is set to get a 'dark' makeover with Dorothy as a tough action figure.

The modern version will get the Hollywood treatment and feature a "2007 wow factor", according to producer Todd McFarlane.

The movie will be laden with the latest special effects but some well-known characters will still make an appearance.

McFarlane said: "You've still got Dorothy trapped in an odd place, but she's much closer to the Ripley from Alien than a helpless singing girl."

The former Marvel Comics animator launched a range of Wizard of Oz toys several years ago which featured pet dog Toto as a snarling beast and a half-naked Dorothy being tied up and tortured by evil Munchkins.

The new film will be written by Oscar-nominated Josh Olson who has assured fans of the original movie that the new Dorothy will not feature as a bondage queen.

But one thing's for sure, the remake will be a far cry from the 1939 film which starred Judy Garland and is one of the best-loved films of all time.

This sounds like it will be quite interesting. What are your thoughts, and do you think it will effect how you watch the classic 1939 version?
The Divulgations of One Desmond Leica: http://desmondleica.wordpress.com/
Flanger-Hanger
Platinum Edition

Post by Flanger-Hanger »

Wicked already affected how I watch the movie. And this will probably make no money at the box office (too many people expecting something else a la Return to Oz), but it will probably be good.
Disneykid
Diamond Edition

Post by Disneykid »

I was a little worried when I first heard about this a while ago because various articles kept suggesting that this would be a movie version of McFarlane's Dark Oz concepts, which are a little too seedy for my tastes. Now that I know WB wants to make it more mainstream (but still darker than the MGM musical), I can say that I'm excited for the project. I've been saying for years that a new Oz movie is begging to be made, one that's closer to what Baum wrote than what MGM portrayed in 1939 (which I freaking love, by the way, so don't get me wrong). With all these big budget adaptations of books like Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, Chronicles of Narnia, and Peter Pan, I knew there eventually HAD to be films done for Alice in Wonderland and Wizard of Oz. Once Disney announced their Alice movie, all that was left was Oz.

I'm really hoping WB doesn't revert back to the musical too much. A few references here and there would be cute, but don't overdo it. I also hope they hire mostly unknowns, especially when it comes to Dorothy. I'd like for the Oz color coding from the book to be implemented to the film (blue Munchkinland, Emerald City that's only green due to glasses, yellow Winkies, and red Glinda country). This has the potential to be absolutely amazing if done right. I'm trusting WB on this. They're usually less invasive on director's visions than other movie studios.
Last edited by Disneykid on Sun Sep 30, 2007 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Siren
Platinum Edition

Post by Siren »

Well, I don't see why we should compare this new movie with the old one. Look at the movie Alice coming out that is based on the dark and twisted video game. One can't really compare that too easily to the Disney cartoon. I would love to see this new dark version of Wizard of Oz. I adore the original movie, but this wouldn't be a remake of the movie, it would be a retelling of the original book. I think we should keep that in mind.
slave2moonlight
Diamond Edition

Post by slave2moonlight »

I have done a quick search on this and it seems there are a lot of different things posted. Don't know what is reliable. Some sites say it will be an animated film. Anyway, I'm psyched for it. Always up for new Oz films. Same for Alice, but are they STILL going to make the one based on the American McGee game that was supposed to star Sarah Michelle Gellar?

Anyways, the MGM Oz film is one of my favorite films, and I rather enjoy other versions as well, like The Wiz. "Return to Oz" is a top fave film of mine as well, and I wish they'd made more like that. I liked the balance between the books and the old MGM film (always prefer the use of ruby slippers, for example) that they used in that one. Wish there were action figures from it! Anyway, I wouldn't be surprised if this new film was still fairly close to those action figures McFarlane made a while back, bondage Dorothy image aside. While I really didn't love the action figure line, I'd love to see something that twisted, as long as it's not too much like a dark alien film, as I'm not a big fan of that genre. I think it'll be a big hit if it's done well enough. Times have changed since "Return to Oz" came out. The "Hot Topic" crowd is going to be way into it.

Anyway, funny this is happening, because this December they are coming out with a more sci-fi/modern take on Oz for the Sci-Fi Channel. It's a miniseries called "Tin Man" and stars Zooey Deschanel :D in the Dorothy role. You can watch a behind the scenes preview of it on my My Space page! http://www.myspace.com/slave2moonlight I've been psyched for it all summer!
Barbossa
Collector's Edition

Post by Barbossa »

Whatever happened to the Disney animated OZ? It was mentioned in the 4th anniversary of one of the old shows Walt was hosting. It's on the Walt Disney Treasures set. :?:
SpringHeelJack
Platinum Edition

Post by SpringHeelJack »

I just want a faithful, non-musical version based on the book. Is it too much to ask?
"Ta ta ta taaaa! Look at me... I'm a snowman! I'm gonna go stand on someone's lawn if I don't get something to do around here pretty soon!"
Ariel'sprince
Platinum Edition
Location: beyond the meadows of joy and the valley of contentment

Re: "Darker" Wizard of Oz Remake: Discussion Threa

Post by Ariel'sprince »

I can see it coming (it's a joke):
*Dorothey walks with Toto*.
Dorothey:oh tin man where you are.... *scream*.
*she sees the Witches,the Wizard,the Lion,and Tin Man dead*.
Dorothey:who...
*gun shot*.
*Toto dies*.
*Dorothey screams*.
*the Scarcrew cover her mouth and kidnappt her*.
Dorothey:Mmmmm!.... Mmmmm!.... Mmmm!.
*he walkes away with her*.
*moment later*.
*Dorothey is tied up to a chair gagged*.
Dorothey:Mmmmm.... Mmmmm.... Mmmmm....
Scarcrew:now,Dorothey,do you know why i want to kill you?.
Dorothey:Mmmm?...
Scarcrew:becouse i hate this stupit book! i want something better! long live Harry Potter!.
Dorothey:Mmmmm!?....
Scarcrew:so before i kill you,i"ll show you somwthing.
Dorothey:Mmmm.....
*the Scarcrew show her.... the old Wizard Of Oz movie!*.
Dorothey:Mmmm!.... Mmmmm!!!!.... Mmmm!....
*turn TV off*.
Scarcrew:last words?.
*put the gag off her*.
Dorothey:bastard!!!!!!!!!.
*Scarcrew shot her*.
Scarcrew:slut.
Disneykid
Diamond Edition

Post by Disneykid »

Ariel'sprince
Platinum Edition

Post by Ariel'sprince »

Disneykid wrote:Image
XDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD.
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

The Darker Wizard of Oz Remake

Post by Disney Duster »

Disneykid wrote:Once Disney announced their Alice movie
Like Jack Skellington: What's this? You must be VERY happy! But is it just them producing the McGee version?

And I agree, the original Wizard of Oz book was darker, and therefore this film should be done that way. But remember, folks, darkness is nothing without purpose. Scariness and gore should only be in a movie for A) to please the fans of the gore and horror genres or B) to make things more real. So hopefully this darkness has reason. To make the Wizard of Oz not so much a happy fairyland, but a realistic, alternate version of the world we live in. The reason Dorothy went to Oz in the first place was because she wanted a happier place, but also a place that wasn't so drab and boring! So, bring on the excitement for her, including the danger and thrills!
Thanks for the link! It looks interesting, but the characters are almost unrecognizable! The only thing really resembling Oz is the Emerald City and red poppy field with the logo! I like how the Scarecrow's brain was removed...and is that girl in gold armor supposed to be like all the witches of Oz, or something? And come on, that green floating head was not scary or anything, and the hologram flickers gave away that it wasn't real anyway!

I hope they still do McGee and Gellar's film, too!
Last edited by Disney Duster on Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ariel'sprince
Platinum Edition

Re: The Darker Wizard of Oz Remake

Post by Ariel'sprince »

So,hmm,Disney Duster-did you liked my version? :D.
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney Duster »

Ariel'sprince wrote:So,hmm,Disney Duster-did you liked my version? :D.
I'll say it was confusing but amusing. So I guess the MGM Scarecrow is the only one who wants Oz to be darker?
Ariel'sprince
Platinum Edition

Post by Ariel'sprince »

Disney Duster wrote:
Ariel'sprince wrote:So,hmm,Disney Duster-did you liked my version? :D.
I'll say it was confusing but amusing. So I guess the MGM Scarecrow is the only one who wants Oz to be darker?
MagicMirror
Gold Classic Collection

Post by MagicMirror »

I completely agree with Disney Duster: darkness is nothing without purpose. If this is going to be based on the dark-for-the-sake-of-dark MacFarlane figures I'm afraid it may ignore that golden rule.

I do recall that the Wicked Witch of the book seemed less dark, intense and terrifying than the Witch in the MGM film. She didn't threaten to kill Dorothy (as I recall) and was even afraid of the dark! I felt sorry for the Wicked Witch of the book long before Wicked was even a glint in Gregory McGuire's eye.
Disneykid
Diamond Edition

Post by Disneykid »

Disney Duster wrote:
Disneykid wrote:Once Disney announced their Alice movie
Like Jack Skellington: What's this? You must be VERY happy! But is it just them producing the McGee version?
No, it's a totally different thing altogether. This will be a more straight-forward adaptation of the book done with live actors and CGI. It's unclear if they plan on combining both the Wonderland and Looking Glass books like the animated film did or if they're keeping them separate (I'd prefer the latter option). All that's known is Linda Woolverton (who wrote Beauty and the Beast and The Lion King's screenplays) is writing this. There's a thread about it here:

http://www.ultimatedisney.com/forum/vie ... hp?t=19648

Since it was only just announced in April, I'm not expecting the movie to be released till 2009 at the earliest. I'm praying the project doesn't end up getting shelved. If I don't hear anything by April of next year, then I'll start to worry.
I hope they still do McGee and Gellar's film, too!
I'm pretty sure that's been cancelled. There's been absolutely no development on it since Gellar was announced in the lead over two years ago. It's been penciled in for a July 2008 release for ages, but that's obviously not happening, now.
slave2moonlight
Diamond Edition

Post by slave2moonlight »

Disney Duster wrote:
Thanks for the link! It looks interesting, but the characters are almost unrecognizable! The only thing really resembling Oz is the Enmerald City and red poppy field with the logo! I like how the Scarecrow's brain was removed...and is that girl in gold armor supposed to be like all the witches of Oz, or something? And come on, that green floating head was not scary or anything, and the hologram flickers gave away that it wasn't real anyway!
I don't think it was really supposed to be scary. I think enough of the characters are recognizable, but my one complaint about it is that the "witch" character isn't hideously scary and green, ha. If the MGM witch was scary and intimidating, as she was until her weakness was revealed, then any Oz films that follow should have witches just as scary or worse to really be memorable, and none have, though Return to Oz did some pretty cool stuff with theirs.
Jack Skellington
Anniversary Edition

Post by Jack Skellington »

That's a cool sequal, I mean honestly most people don't beleave in happily ever after once they passed the age of 16 !!! :D
Ariel'sprince
Platinum Edition

Post by Ariel'sprince »

Jack Skellington wrote:That's a cool sequal, I mean honestly most people don't beleave in happily ever after once they passed the age of 16 !!! :D
For me,a Happily ever after is just happy life,there's still porblems,there's no such thing as life with no problems but a Happily ever after don't have to be a perfactly perfact picture.
Alice
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Alice »

Aww man, I LOVE those figures. They were so kickass. Go Todd McFarlane!

aww damn, if this "remake" goes through and it's nothing like it then I'd be madd upset. I think the wicked Witch should be a dominatrix personally. :twisted: *cracks whip*
Alice coming back with POWER! POWER!