DVDizzy.com

Home | Reviews | Schedule | Cover Art | Search The Site
DVDizzy.com Top Stories:

It is currently Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:44 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

https://ew.com/tv/2018/10/03/chronicles ... a-netflix/
Not technically Disney related anymore but I figured some people might still appreciate this news. Netflix is developing a new series for Narnia. Some are speculating that they'll adapt the books as films or in episodic format, while others think that it'll be new content based on the Golden Age of Narnia (when Lucy, Edmund, Susan, and Peter are the Kings and Queens of Narnia so before they go back to the real world through the wardrobe).

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:10 pm 
Platinum Edition

So some books will be adapted into feature films while others into TV series? That sounds like an inconsistent mess. Why couldn't just Netflix continue producing movie adaptations of the rest of the books starting with The Silver Chair onwards? That would have been so much better.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:59 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

Sorry, I should have been clearer. We don't know if the books will be adapted at all, and if they are, they could be made in either film or TV serial format. Some people think that Netflix won't bother with adapting the books at all and instead create new stories. I wouldn't mind the latter but I would like a fresh reboot just to keep things consistent. Although I love the two Disney Narnia films and I'd hope that they could somehow bring in the original cast, even just for cameo appearances.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:33 pm 
Platinum Edition

JeanGreyForever wrote:
Sorry, I should have been clearer. We don't know if the books will be adapted at all, and if they are, they could be made in either film or TV serial format.

But the press release says both.

Quote:
Netflix will develop new series and film projects based on C.S. Lewis’ beloved The Chronicles of Narnia series. Netflix will develop classic stories from across the Narnia universe into series and films for its members worldwide. All series and films produced through the deal will be Netflix productions.
Source: https://media.netflix.com/en/press-rele ... -of-narnia

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:08 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

I'm assuming they'll adapt the main novels as films and additional content will be in the form of a series. It would be odd, for example, if they made some of the books into films and others in a series format.

Maybe a few of the books can be made into a series because they have enough content such as the first and last books to chronicle the beginning and end of Narnia, tut something like Prince Caspian already had to have extra story tacked onto it to expand it into a full-length film.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:45 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

New details, including confirmation that The Silver Chair movie that was going to be directed by Joe Johnston has been scrapped:

Quote:
Matthew Aldrich, the co-writer of Pixar’s Oscar-winning film Coco, has been crowned as overseer of Netflix’s expansive adaptation of The Chronicles of Narnia.

The streaming giant is tackling the fantasy books by C.S. Lewis as both series and film, with Aldrich to serve as the creative architect on all projects. He will shepherd all development and creative on the multiple adaptations.

A new set of movies were to be developed in the 2010s, but those plans were dropped when Netflix made a multiyear deal with the C.S. Lewis Company in late 2018. The plan calls for a wide-range of stories from across the Narnia landscape told in a set of movies and at least one series.

Netflix conducted a wide-ranging search to find its architect, with Aldrich winning the multi-level job. The writer, repped by CAA and Silent R Management, is best known for his work as co-writer on Coco, the 2017 Pixar/Disney fantasy adventure set during Mexico's Day of the Dead that grossed over $800 million worldwide and won the Academy Award for best animated feature.

It is unclear how the multiple projects will co-exist or stand together.

All series and films produced via the Netflix deal will see Mark Gordon of Entertainment One, as well as Douglas Gresham and Vincent Sieber, act as executive producers for the series and producers for the feature films.
Source: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat- ... ch-1217796