Cinderella (Sony)

Discussion of non-Disney entertainment.
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Cinderella (Sony)

Post by Disney Duster »

I loved the trailer! But I must agree with everything tsom said. It looks cheap and Disney did it better and it looks like Cinderella is going to the ball to get an investor. I thought maybe she was going to give up on her dream of making and selling dresses until tsom said that. It also looks like Cinderella may choose not to get with the Prince at first because she wants to be known for her work instead of being a princess. I love her dress and I love the butterfly becoming the Fabulous Godmother and I love the magic making her design come to life, like I suspected! And I love the fact her glass slippers really aren't comfortable like they would be in real life! Plus, Billy Porter is slaying it! It looks a little cheap but it's still magical!
Redadoodles
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Redadoodles »

It's hilarious to me that this film is being marketed as a modern reinvention of Cinderella as if that concept was new. It's been done for years if not decades.
The only reason I could have been interested in it would have been with a doll to promote the film but apparently they're not producing any merchandising for it. :lol:
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

A doll with that purple dress would be nice.
tsom wrote:And I like how the stepmother tries to convince her to marry the prince. That’s a cool twist.
The stepmother also tries to get Cinderella to marry the Prince in the book version of Ella Enchanted and in Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I saw this at a Movie Tavern when I remembered the film was said to be released not just on Amazon Prime but also "select theaters". I was so happy to see it on the big screen. It really showed off Kay Cannon's directing talent. Anyway, the costumes and sets were beautiful, especially Cinderella's gorgeous pink-white dress. The singing was phenomenal and I was surprised by Nicholas Galitzine's voice. Though of course Pierce Brosnan's voice was awful, but this time on purpose! "Material Girl" was a really fun singing scene! And I thought "Million to One" was a pretty good song. The acting of everyone impressed me, too. Especially Idina Menzel and Camila Cabello. I didn't think Camila would be that good. And I felt sad for her a few times. But the story felt less powerful without Cinderella seeking love and to feel worthy of being a princess and stuff. And there was no pumpkin and no glass slipper fitting! The dress transformation was gorgeous at least. So, all in all I thought it was pretty good, but not near as good a the two Disney Cinderellas or Ever After.
Redadoodles
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Redadoodles »

Do you think I should check it out ? I can't stand Camila these days but I am ready to watch the film as I love Cinderella but if you say that romance is not that important to the character, I don't think I should watch it.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I thought the romance was done pretty well. In the end, Ella does want romance and to get the Prince. It's not done as well as the other Cinderella movies I mentioned, but Kay Cannon writes a romance through humor that I like. The movie was cute and funny. It's worth a watch, especially if you love Cinderella. Some stuff is cringey and bad, but I enjoyed it overall.
Redadoodles
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Redadoodles »

Alright...You've convinced me. I'll try to check it out tomorrow. :D
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Well, I don't know if anyone has watched this yet besides me, but after I've seen it twice, I have no desire to see it again. I thought it was pretty good the first time I saw it, but after it's sunk in, I this is the worst version of Cinderella I have ever seen. The best thing was the dress.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I saw it today. I was with other people, so I couldn't completely focus very much. Still, it was pretty horrible. I like what they did with the King and Queen (their poor example being the reason the prince was avoiding marriage). And the stuff with the stepmother at the end was sort of interesting... But I didn't care for the music. I'd have preferred original songs, for sure, but Camila and the prince both sounded really bad anyway. Camila was always the reason I wasn't really looking forward to this from the get-go... I have never been a fan going back to The X Factor days (I liked the rest of Fifth Harmony). Her voice is just...nails on chalkboard. Billy Porter and James Corden was a lot of fun, and I did like the dress transformation with all the petals. A great deal of the dialogue was pretty bad though, like when she was caught on the statue, for example. I think it was on level with, say, the A Cinderella Story sequels--not the first one even, just the sequels.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I'm glad you gave this a shot! I, too, think the King and queen's relationship was one of the good parts. You know, besides the cringey singing part and "tell you 'no'" part. It being used to make the Prince not want marriage is a good idea. And how it tied in to the arranged marriage the Prince would later face. I liked the Stepmother stuff, too. Billy Porter sometimes hit and sometimes missed for me. Same with James Corden. I also loved the petal transformation. I actually laughed at the King's father's statue dialogue, but I can see how it was bad. I loved Cinderella and the Prince's singing, but that's me. There actually were two original songs, "Million to One" and "Dream Girl". But y yeah, I wish it had been all original songs, and yeah, still, a horrible movie lol.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Cinderella is currently predicted to be leading the Oscars Fan Favorite award.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

At first I thought it was a joke. Then I looked it up. Wow.