Sonic the Hedgehog (2020)

Discussion of non-Disney entertainment.
blackcauldron85
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Sonic the Hedgehog (2020)

Post by blackcauldron85 »

We just saw this movie-- it was soooo good!!! I'm happy with Sonic's redesign from the first trailer, but if that was the only change they made*, I think the movie still would have been really good. I think it was a lot better than Detective Pikachu , which was a good movie.

*In the beginning there are the creatures like Knuckles, and they have masks on, but you can see their eyes, and they're similar to Sonic's, so they must've been redesigned, too...
DisneyFan97
Anniversary Edition

Re: Sonic the Hedgehog (2020)

Post by DisneyFan97 »

I hope i can buy this movie on Blu Ray soon ! :o :?
blackcauldron85

^ I don't know when the Blu-ray comes out, but coming to digital March 31:

https://variety.com/2020/film/box-offic ... 203540512/
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

It's coming to Blu-ray and DVD on May 19th.

https://deadline.com/2020/03/sonic-the- ... 202888840/
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
blackcauldron85

^ Thank you! I just wrote it on my calendar!
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

‘Sonic the Hedgehog’ Sequel in the Works
https://variety.com/2020/film/news/soni ... 234619356/
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
blackcauldron85

I'm very happy about that. Obviously the first ends in a way that screams "We need a sequel"," so yay! #Tails!
blackcauldron85

I thought we had a thread for the sequel, but nothing is coming up...

Anyhow, spoilers for the sequel!

https://mobile.twitter.com/TailsChannel ... 50211?s=20
(Via Full Circle Cinema)
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I watched this yesterday after Space Jam 2. I planned to watch Tom & Jerry afterwards to make it a full-on Trash Film Nostalgia Day, but didn't get around to it. :lol: Imagine my surprise that I actually liked this. :o That was a huge surprise to me. I always expect these kinds of films with old characters in CGI to be unbearably bad like the Alvin and the Chipmunks movies were. Somehow I found Sonic's design kind of adorable at times throughout the film, and the voice actor was perfect; the worst I could say is that at some points, usually when Sonic's eyebrows curl in a smirk pose, he reminds me too much of Chucky. Jim Carrey was great, too, actually. I am...not the biggest Jim Carrey fan. I think he seems like a great person and he is funny, but he's a comic I always think of as taking it so far that the comedy disappears. But he worked here. I'm guessing it's because they limited him down to acting out the script with very few chances for adlibs. Most of his lines made me laugh and I loved the scene where he's dancing to the evil music, I forget the song's title. I knew James Marsden would be fine as a bland protagonist, so wasn't worried about him. The actor from Happy Endings as sheriff was also a highlight.

I grew up on SEGA as a child, although I don't really see my reaction to this film as being a case of nostalgia. Sonic didn't really have a personality in the games (or much of a story that I remember), and, like I said, I thought this would be awful rather than cute fun. I loved the end credits where they simulated the games and was really excited by the preview of Tails. Tails was always my favorite character from the games... I think partly because foxes are cute anyway, but my sister would often play Sonic and I would play tails with the other remote; all I had to do was stay out of her way. :lol:

Btw, I just have to say that Hollywood is overdosing on the whole "fast-character-in-slowmo-scenes" trend. I think the first one I remember was Evan Peters in an X-Men film where he moved around the room rearranging everything from the bullets to shoelaces all set to "Time in a Bottle." That may not be the first occurrence, but, ever since, they're being re-created in everything. Space Jam 2 had a scene like that with Cronos and naturally Sonic had several of them here. I like these kinds of scenes, but they're going to overkill them by putting them in everything.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
blackcauldron85

I'm glad you liked the movie!! Have you seen the trailer for the sequel? (https://youtu.be/G5kzUpWAusI)
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

^ Watching it right now. It's halfway loaded. I'm glad they brought Stone back, too, and the mean sister-in-law. Oh, Knuckles!

Oh, I forgot to say in my other post that "Donut Lord" sounded like a joke at "Star Lord" from Guardians of the Galaxy. :lol:
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"