DVDizzy.com

Home | Reviews | Schedule | Cover Art | Search The Site
DVDizzy.com Top Stories:

It is currently Sat Nov 28, 2020 1:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 900 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40 ... 45  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:37 am 
Platinum Edition

Hi Luke & Company,

Excellent reviews as usual. Pink Elephants all around:

:pink: :pink: :pink: :pink: :pink:

Also, just a minor note: on the front page with the news item about the updated Diary of a Wimpy Kid review (including Blu-Ray features and A/V assessment for the Blu-Ray & DVD), the link is for the old review (http://www.dvdizzy.com/diaryofawimpykid.html) rather than the new one (http://www.dvdizzy.com/diaryofawimpykid-bluray.html)

albert

WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 2:55 am 
Site Admin

Great find, Scaps!

"Fifteen years from now, when people are talking about 3-D, they will talk about the business before 'Monsters vs. Aliens' and the business after 'Monsters vs. Aliens.' It's the line in the sand." - Greg Foster, IMAX chairman and president

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:32 am 
Collector's Edition

Luke and Kelvin: I really enjoyed your Prince of Persia review, highlighting the disappointments and high points. I personally have no interest in seeing the film at all, but it was still a great review.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:03 pm 
Platinum Edition

David S. wrote:
Aaron,

I really enjoyed BOTH of your reviews of the new Disney Parks boxed set! Great job!

Thanks, David!

David S. wrote:
I am glad to see that none of the BD bonus features were excluded from the 6-disc DVD set. (This is how you can tell it's not a WDSHE release ;) )

:lol:

David S. wrote:
I was thinking of waiting awhile to get this due to the rumors of a deluxe, park-exclusive set with more bonus features. However, I just got back from WDW and they didn't even have the regular versions, much less anything deluxe.

I just got back from WDW myself and I did find the regular editions for sale at the International Gateway in Epcot. Nothing special about them at all, though (or at the very least, the packaging is identical to the releases I reviewed).

David S. wrote:
As a big Disney Parks fan, it's great to see more coverage of the genre on UD!

I agree!

David S. wrote:
PS. While at WDW this year, I did pick up the relatively new 2-disc "Magic Kingdom: Imagineering the Magic" DVD, which is an official "Disney Theme Park Merchandise" release and the second of this series (DL was the first). For those who don't have this, I find it to be a nice companion to the main Magic Kingdom souvenir DVD referenced in your review (which I also really enjoy and is thankfully still available as well).

Sounds great from your description. I think that's something I need to pick up.

-Aaron

• Entertainment Writer & Moderator at DVDizzy.com
• Twitter - @aaronspod

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:03 am 
Platinum Edition

Just read the review for The Black Cauldron, Luke.

:pink: :pink: :pink: :pink: :pink: :pink: :pink: :pink: :pink: :pink:

I really liked how you assessed its contemporary critical reaction versus the fan reaction today. The Black Cauldron is a favorite of mine, and while I do understand how most Disney fans are quick to label it floppy trash, it was great to read that critical reviews of the time weren't so harsh. Much of its reputation has come lately from fans either misremembering the past or repeating what others have said, rather than watch the movie and judge it for themselves. So I was really glad to see a balanced look at the film from both its 1985 context and a present-day one.

I'm really glad to hear that Bernstein's score still comes out strong on the soundtrack. It's one of my favorite scores of his.

I'm upset, but not surprised, to see no mention of the theatrical trailer in the review, so I'm guessing it wasn't carried over from the Gold Classic Collection DVD. *sigh*

The lack of a slipcover makes me giddy with glee, though I'm sure it will upset many others.

Finally, just wanted to ask if there are any text stills in the gallery. On the old GC disc, there sometimes was a text still that preceded some image stills to put them into context. Are they still there or have they been removed?

(ETA: never mind. I checked Jack's review of the old GC disc, and the numbering of stills differs from the new one, so I take it the text stills were removed)

albert

WIST #60:

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:39 am 
Site Admin

Escapay wrote:
I'm upset, but not surprised, to see no mention of the theatrical trailer in the review, so I'm guessing it wasn't carried over from the Gold Classic Collection DVD. *sigh*

An update is in order. It wasn't mentioned on the back case of the old DVD, so I assumed it wasn't included. Disney and their trailers... Grr...

Thanks for the feedback!

SmartAleck25 wrote:
Luke and Kelvin: I really enjoyed your Prince of Persia review, highlighting the disappointments and high points. I personally have no interest in seeing the film at all, but it was still a great review.

Thanks! Aside from my needing/wanting to see and review as much as I possibly can, I had no innate interest in seeing it either.

"Fifteen years from now, when people are talking about 3-D, they will talk about the business before 'Monsters vs. Aliens' and the business after 'Monsters vs. Aliens.' It's the line in the sand." - Greg Foster, IMAX chairman and president

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:01 pm 
Collector's Edition

Very honest review of Camp Rock 2: The Final Jam, Aaron. I myself slightly enjoyed it (I loved Demi's performance, but I did notice some lip-syncing), but I do agree that the plot was so predictable it wasn't even funny. I also found that the main focus seemed to be on Joe Jonas, not Demi Lovato, and I feel like all of the characters, though they have great personalities, don't really develop at all during the course of the movie. It feels rushed, and too little time is spent on the frantic actions of the campers IMO. I liked all of the songs well enough, but some of Joe Jonas's voice cracks made me cringe. Thanks for giving your honest opinion Aaron!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:25 pm 
Limited Edition

Whoa, Demi and Selena aren't best friends anymore? I don't really keep up with all that celebrity stuff, so that's news to me.

I haven't seen Camp Rock 2, or the first one for that matter, but I always thought that Demi Lovato had the best voice of all the Disney Channel starlets. Like I said, I haven't seen these movies, so maybe the soundtrack doesn't really fit her voice, but from what I've heard of her own music, she has a nice, less forced voice as opposed to Miley or Selena's stuff. Again, I'm not too experienced on these girls, so I can't really say much else, but I guess I'm just kind of surprised that you don't think she is any good.

I never get to say this, but I really appreciate this site's reviews. Whenever I see a movie or TV show I'm interested in is given a review by one of the staff members here, I always take the time to read them over. Keep up the good work!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:15 am 
Platinum Edition

Avaitor wrote:
Whoa, Demi and Selena aren't best friends anymore? I don't really keep up with all that celebrity stuff, so that's news to me.

Maybe they're just FF's instead of BFF's?

Avaitor wrote:
I haven't seen Camp Rock 2, or the first one for that matter, but I always thought that Demi Lovato had the best voice of all the Disney Channel starlets.

On the flipside, I think she has the worst. Even when she talks it borders on grating.

(I now await WDWLocal to burst in crying "How dare you say such things! You're a nasty and mean person, you shouldn't talk about her like that!" :roll:)

I've thankfully avoided watching Camp Rock 2, but the review for it was hilarious, and likely more entertaining than the movie itself.

Avaitor wrote:
I never get to say this, but I really appreciate this site's reviews. Whenever I see a movie or TV show I'm interested in is given a review by one of the staff members here, I always take the time to read them over. Keep up the good work!

Ditto. I've said it in the past, but it's worth saying again, the UD reviews are often the most thorough on the net, they provide a balanced look at both the movie/tv show, and the format it's presented in. Most other sites seem pre-occupied with just talking about the movie/tv show, leaving the format review as an after-thought, or vice versa. I'm glad that UD always makes sure both sides (movie/tv assessment, format assessment) are discussed equally.

albert

WIST #60:

WIST #61:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:55 pm 
Platinum Edition

Congratulations UD! 1200 Reviews! It's quite a feat, even if it was a review for three rather lackluster "Goosebumps" episodes. Too bad it couldn't have been a Special Edition re-release of "Eerie, Indiana" from Shout! Factory, eh Luke?

:party: :pink: :D :float: :D :pink: :party:

albert

WIST #60:

WIST #61:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:38 pm 
Site Admin

Escapay wrote:
Congratulations UD! 1200 Reviews! It's quite a feat, even if it was a review for three rather lackluster "Goosebumps" episodes.

Thanks! I gotta say sometimes those random episode compilations make for a really fun (and fast) review to write. Hopefully it is also fun (and fast) to read.

Escapay wrote:
Too bad it couldn't have been a Special Edition re-release of "Eerie, Indiana" from Shout! Factory, eh Luke?

That would be an awesome scenario, particularly if you could replace the complete tool who handles publicity requests for Shout! with someone who has a clue!

I'm in utter disbelief that I actually posted six reviews in five days this week, four of them being multi-disc complete season sets. If the reviews stop altogether, know that I've probably been hospitalized for exhaustion. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 3:00 am 
Platinum Edition

Luke wrote:
Escapay wrote:
Congratulations UD! 1200 Reviews! It's quite a feat, even if it was a review for three rather lackluster "Goosebumps" episodes.

Thanks! I gotta say sometimes those random episode compilations make for a really fun (and fast) review to write. Hopefully it is also fun (and fast) to read.

They are. I haven't seen an episode of "Goosebumps" in years, but remember a bit of it, so I checked the review to see if it were any episodes I might have remembered seeing. Alas, no. Still, it did bring back memories of watching the series, and the surreal moment a couple years ago when I was discussing the series with a student in the 4th grade class I was observing/aiding.

Luke wrote:
Escapay wrote:
Too bad it couldn't have been a Special Edition re-release of "Eerie, Indiana" from Shout! Factory, eh Luke?

That would be an awesome scenario, particularly if you could replace the complete tool who handles publicity requests for Shout! with someone who has a clue!

:lol: and :(

I wish UD covered more Shout! releases. Can you get someone else to handle your requests, or does Shout! only have that one tool? Usually their customer service is quick to respond and every helpful (in my experience at least). I would have imagined that the publicity department would've been the same. Rather upsetting to hear that's not the case.

Luke wrote:
I'm in utter disbelief that I actually posted six reviews in five days this week, four of them being multi-disc complete season sets. If the reviews stop altogether, know that I've probably been hospitalized for exhaustion. ;)

Don't think of it as hospitalized for exhaustion. Think of it as a much-deserved getaway at the spa.

albert

WIST #60:

WIST #61:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:41 am 
Platinum Edition

SmartAleck25 wrote:
Very honest review of Camp Rock 2: The Final Jam, Aaron. I myself slightly enjoyed it (I loved Demi's performance, but I did notice some lip-syncing), but I do agree that the plot was so predictable it wasn't even funny. I also found that the main focus seemed to be on Joe Jonas, not Demi Lovato, and I feel like all of the characters, though they have great personalities, don't really develop at all during the course of the movie. It feels rushed, and too little time is spent on the frantic actions of the campers IMO. I liked all of the songs well enough, but some of Joe Jonas's voice cracks made me cringe. Thanks for giving your honest opinion Aaron!

And thanks for giving yours, as well as the kind words on the review! I'm glad you were able to enjoye Camp Rock 2 despite the flaws you pointed out. I do concede that it's diverting, just not much more than that.

Escapay wrote:
Avaitor wrote:

Maybe they're just FF's instead of BFF's?

No one is more upset about this rift than the would-be filmmakers of Princess Protection Program 2: Still Best Friends. Of course, not even a Lovato-Gomez reunion would change the fact that nobody liked the first one.

Escapay wrote:
Avaitor wrote:
I haven't seen Camp Rock 2, or the first one for that matter, but I always thought that Demi Lovato had the best voice of all the Disney Channel starlets.

On the flipside, I think she has the worst. Even when she talks it borders on grating.

It's a bit like ranking Michael Bay movies, but while Miley has a terrible voice, it's at least unique. That's the terrible thing about Demi Lovato's voice: it's utterly bland. In all fairness, though, Demi's voice is noticeably fuller and stronger in Rock 2 than in the first (something I perhaps should have commented on in the review), but it's still woefully unappealing.

Escapay wrote:
I've thankfully avoided watching Camp Rock 2, but the review for it was hilarious, and likely more entertaining than the movie itself.

Thanks, Scaps!

Escapay wrote:
Avaitor wrote:

Ditto. I've said it in the past, but it's worth saying again, the UD reviews are often the most thorough on the net, they provide a balanced look at both the movie/tv show, and the format it's presented in. Most other sites seem pre-occupied with just talking about the movie/tv show, leaving the format review as an after-thought, or vice versa. I'm glad that UD always makes sure both sides (movie/tv assessment, format assessment) are discussed equally.

albert

I think I speak for everyone who writes/has written reviews here (Scaps included) when I say that this kind of feedback is sincerely appreciated, as is confirmation that our forum members are also reading our reviews (or at least some of them)!

Escapay wrote:
Congratulations UD! 1200 Reviews!

I'd like to echo this. 1200 is quite a number... and it's all the more boggling when I reflect on how relatively few of those were written by anyone other than Luke. So congratulations to Luke!

I'd also like to echo Escapay's comments on Luke's The Black Cauldron review... it was really refreshing to see an honest but fairly positive approach to the movie for a change.

-Aaron

• Entertainment Writer & Moderator at DVDizzy.com
• Twitter - @aaronspod

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:02 am 
Platinum Edition

So, I just got around to reading Aaron's Camp Rock 2 review...

1. I definitely lol'd at the picture captions...

Quote:
Mitchie Torres (Demi Lovato) back at Camp Rock, where she hopes to polish her subpar singing skills.

Excuse you?

Quote:
She sees many familiar faces there, all of them a little too old to be this excited about summer camp.

I think that most people who love music would be excited to go to Camp Rock...?

4. I'm liking the embedded video in the review...there should be more!

Quote:
If she's going to lip-sync so poorly, can't she at least do it to a pleasant voice? Despite tough competition from Miley Cyrus and Taylor Swift, Lovato takes the crown as the most vocally underwhelming recording artist to be dumped by a Jonas Brother.

:headshake:

6. Learn something new every day: Benelux. Thanks, Aaron and Wikipedia!

Aaron wrote:
It's a bit like ranking Michael Bay movies, but while Miley has a terrible voice, it's at least unique. That's the terrible thing about Demi Lovato's voice: it's utterly bland. In all fairness, though, Demi's voice is noticeably fuller and stronger in Rock 2 than in the first (something I perhaps should have commented on in the review), but it's still woefully unappealing.

Miley doesn't have a terrible voice...have you heard the notes she can hit? And Demi also has a really strong voice. And no amount of me standing up for them will change your mind. :p

And I agree- great TBC review, Luke! Nothing to complain about here!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:16 pm 
Platinum Edition

AwallaceUNC wrote:
No one is more upset about this rift than the would-be filmmakers of Princess Protection Program 2: Still Best Friends. Of course, not even a Lovato-Gomez reunion would change the fact that nobody liked the first one.

rotfl

Best line in the entire thread.

Ames wrote:
I think that most people who love music would be excited to go to Camp Rock...?

I think Aaron's referring to how everyone is too old to still be going to camp as a camper and not a counselor. They're all what, in their early 20s? Granted, they're supposed to be playing teenagers...

albert

WIST #60:

WIST #61:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:23 pm 
Platinum Edition

Actually, besides Kevin and Joe, they're all or mostly 18 and under, if I'm correct without loading up Wikipedia!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:19 am 
Platinum Edition

Awesome Glee review, Kelvin! I agree with a lot of the points you mentioned! The only thing wrong that I noticed was that instead of "cup of tea," you wrote "up of tea" in the 13th paragraph. Other than that small quip, it was an excellent review!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:01 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

Anyone on UD reviewing Iron Man 2?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:06 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

TheSequelOfDisney wrote:
Awesome Glee review, Kelvin! I agree with a lot of the points you mentioned! The only thing wrong that I noticed was that instead of "cup of tea," you wrote "up of tea" in the 13th paragraph. Other than that small quip, it was an excellent review!

Thanks! I had a lot of fun doing this one. There's also a typo in the ninth paragraph where I meant to type "eclectic" and instead typed "electric." So if Luke fixes my cup of tea typo, hopefully he'll get that other one, too.

Barbossa wrote:
Anyone on UD reviewing Iron Man 2?

It's not going to be happening at this point. Luke and I had every intention of covering the BD+DVD combo (he'd do the movie review and I the BD stuff), but Paramount's been lame and hasn't sent us it.

I don't check this thread as often as I should, so let me just thank everyone who's been weighing in their thoughts on our reviews. It really does mean a lot to hear feedback from you guys over what we do since it ensures that there are people out there reading our stuff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:24 pm 
Platinum Edition

After reading the review for Frozen, I checked it out, and I'm rather glad I didn't blindbuy it. It's an interesting concept and executed rather well, but I can't see myself watching it beyond that initial viewing. But great review.

Also, kudos for the great "He's Your Dog, Charlie Brown" review. I don't think I've ever seen that special, and since I don't have the 1960s Collection (or any besides the Holiday boxset with Great Pumpkin/Thanksgiving/Christmas), it will make for an interesting viewing when I eventually purchase the other Peanuts specials (in either the RDE's or the Collections).

I especially loved this part, which wasn't about the special, but the lack of slipcover:

(I wonder if there's some giant Slipcover Graveyard somewhere. That would be magical.) The change comes with no reduction in list price. Now, I generally don't sweat the presence or absence of these so-called "O-sleeves", but when it ruins consistency, it riles the DVD collector inside me. But not too much. I think I'm over it now.

And I like the new calendar system. 1996 = 1 BDVD is hilarious! I guess I was born in 12 BDVD!

And great "Glee" review, Kelvin. I too was surprised at the lack of deleted songs. I love Jonathan Groff's version of "Burning Up" (which was deleted from the Madonna episode) so it would have been great seeing it on the disc instead of just hearing it on my computer. IIRC, Fox originally planned to include extended episodes in the Season 1 set (which is where I assume the deleted songs would have been), along with additional "How Sue Sees It" pieces. They were announced in early news items, but weren't on the official press release, so they must have been withheld. Perhaps for a "Special Edition" re-release later on?

I also liked the Thin Red Line review. I'll be picking that up next July if Barnes & Noble has their 50% Criterion sale again.

I'll update this post (or post again if someone replies after me) once the Beauty and the Beast review is up.

:pink: :pink: :pink: :pink: :pink:

albert

WIST #60:

WIST #61:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 900 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40 ... 45  Next