To just collect DVDs... My thoughts.

Discussion of non-Disney DVD and Blu-ray.
DC Fan
Anniversary Edition

To just collect DVDs... My thoughts.

Post by DC Fan »

Since BD I upgraded to that format (and won´t go to 4K or whatever new format could-if any could come). But I will still buy DVDs if it´s a movie I just like.

Thing is that I still appreciate and enjoy the people that just buy DVDs. This people decided to stay with the format, they keep it alive, enjoy it and even save money on it.

By the way, while many think digital is the way of the future we all know it´s not definitive. As movie fans know what is to have a physical format, the quality of the video and audio, the extras and...

Young adults know of the streaming services and how to handle them. But older ones no. So for them DVDs is their only way to watch movies.

So, what do you think about this?
blackcauldron85
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: To just collect DVDs... My thoughts.

Post by blackcauldron85 »

I was a late adapter to Blu. It is just cheaper (usually) to buy the DVD. As a Disney fan, I missed having bonus features. I made the switch to Blu because of the way I stored most of my movies (in zippered flip book cases), I was worried about disc rot/scratching, and I also wanted the digital copy. So I sold almost all my DVDs, made some decent $, + just bought my favorites in Blu. I love Movies Anywhere. Not all my movies came with a digital code, but it's so convenient to not have to browse your disc selection. And it's great to have bonus features again. But I do like having the physical copy, for when I go somewhere + watch a movie w/ someone, and just to have "in case" (Movies Anywhere goes away, Disney+ edits a movie/ doesn't have a movie), so I can watch what I want, when I want.

I think the average person just wants the movie, and they don't need to buy a new player, or a fancy TV. And DVDs are cheaper, so I can understand why DVDs are still so popular.

But even just from my coworkers talking, I know a lot of times they just wait for the movie to come on Netflix/Amazon Prime streaming/Disney+, so I wonder how streaming has affected DVD sales.

I think that movie aficionados will continue buying Blu/4K/whatever's next, since they like having the movie presented in the "best" way.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I'm also a late-mover to Blu-ray. I will still buy DVDs when there is no Blu-ray option, and DVDs don't bother me. But where I have a choice, I will buy Blu-ray. Thankfully the difference in price between DVD and Blu-ray isn't quite as outrageous as it used to be. I've got most of the Disney films on Blu now. Just a few to pick up now. Except for TLM, I don't think I'll buy another version of them unless it's a really special release or if, say, everything I have is destroyed / stolen.

I still use VHS.... I like to record things and also the films often look better on VHS. Something about the DVD/Blu-rays feels too pristine sometimes, particularly with the CAPS films. All the grain make the film feel "old" which fits the stories that are being told being old as time. The modern Disney films especially benefit from that because the Walt films feel "old" in all their sensibilities to me anyway. :lol: I hope I'll be able to find new VHS players as the ones I use die. I already lost one player, then found another. I don't know why they aren't still being made by someone in a pocket of the Internet somewhere at a moderately reasonable price. I mean, if vinyl players still exist...

I don't think I'll be able to update to digital like with the other formats, simply because I live in a very rural area and high-speed Internet and streaming is not possible here. I hope that'll change in the coming years. I've heard some politicians talk about access for all areas the past couple of years. Maybe it'll come to pass at some point.
blackcauldron85 wrote: But even just from my coworkers talking, I know a lot of times they just wait for the movie to come on Netflix/Amazon Prime streaming/Disney+, so I wonder how streaming has affected DVD sales.
Yeah, most people do not own things anymore. They rent movie and music streaming services now...
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

My husband's 19-year-old brother just came over, saw my movies, and said he hopes to have a big DVD collection someday. I'm shocked that a younger person is interested in physical media!
Mickeyfan1990
Collector's Edition

Post by Mickeyfan1990 »

No shame in what you're doing.

I buy my films (and shows) and both formats too. :)

There are times when I want the film on Blu-ray, I don't have a choice but go with the Blu-ray/DVD combo pack and STILL I also buy the DVD only edition.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Well, sometimes there's no choice but to buy DVDs, a lot of old shows never got a Blu-ray release like Buffy the Vampire Slayer or Gilmore Girls, so I have the DVDs, though I watch Gilmore Girls on Netflix whenever I feel like. Buffy unfortunately got a terrible restoration in HD so I still watch the DVDs.
I also have Waking Sleeping Beauty on DVD since it hasn't been released on Blu-ray as far as I know.
My main collection consists Disney films so I have most films on all formats (DVD, Blu-ray, 4K), unless I decided not to upgrade a film. For instance I don't own Pocahontas on Blu-ray since if I watch it I prefer to watch the extended version and that's not available on Blu-ray, but the DVD is good enough for me.